What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cash over Cap issue (1 Viewer)

Macdaddy_2004

Footballguy
Looking arount the internet and can't get a clear definition

Code:
To comprehend the concept of cash over cap, one has to understand that the salary cap is just a bookkeeping number, one that can be massaged by amortizing signing bonuses, among other mechanisms. The cap has never been indicative of a team's payroll. The Redskin organization, believed to be the highest revenue-producing machine in the league, has had payrolls well over $100 million the last few seasons, even while the highest salary cap level ever was in 2005, at $85.5 million. The difference between a team's true payroll and its salary cap number is essentially what "cash over cap" means.
Anyone want to explain it to me like I am 8

I.E. a player receives a signing bonus of 10 million.

The player actually receives a cheque for 10 million in the 1st year, but the bonus is pro-rated over 5 years at 2 million each.

Year 1: CASH = 10 million, CAP = 2 million

In year 1, there is an 8 million cash over cap value.

Cash over cap is just the difference of pro-rated bonuses and actual cash paid out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay so is it a fair system or is it not a fair system

I mean its obvious the Redskins are following the rules but......it seems like they have a huge advantage over other teams.

I think that remains to be determined over time (If it is fair). There are penalties in the revenue sharing agreement for teams that go over the cap, I believe.

Apparently the redskins techinically don't go over the cap - but are dishing out a lot of dough

I guess a part of this is that they expect the CAP to increase every year

Users who are viewing this thread