What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chris Borland retires due to health concers (1 Viewer)

the new cba prohibits new deals for rookies prior to the last year, I think it is.

and I agree -- he screwed the niners, although it's his decision to look out for his health.
Screwed the NIners, how? They can, if they choose, recoup money back on the incomplete portion of the contract. Other than that, I think every NFL team goes into these things "signing optimistically" and thinking players will work out their contracts but they know that injuries, the team's decisions, or the players may prohibit that.

If anything, I think doing it now versus waiting until after the draft, when he's a couple weeks into training camp, HELPS the Niners. They can react now.
??? they lost a 3rd round pick. How could anyone argue it helps them?
Man, you and Kool Aid Larry are acting like, all of a sudden, someone broke new news that the draft isn't a calculated crapshoot.

Go talk to any fan of ANY team and they can tell you a story about how their team has whiffed and burned a draft pick on a player because he was a bust, got hurt, wasn't what they expected, etc. It's the nature of the game. You draft a Jamarcus Russell with a high pick and sometimes you get...Jamarcus Russell. You draft a Marcus Lattimore and sometimes that's what you get.

These are ALL calculated risks and the Niners, as well as every team, knows this. If they don't like it, they should trade their picks for players they think are safer and more likely to play. Or perhaps they could do a better job befored dedicating themselves to a Lattimore type. They understand the risks.

Borland absolutely helped them. He could have easily have waited and quit on them during camp, could have faked an injury and collected cash. Could have walked through the motions and been a detriment to the team. He did none of those. He retired while the Niners can still pursue free agents or adjust their draft board.

Given the situation where a man decides his health is more important than money and given the options AT THAT POINT, he did the best he could do for all parties involved.

Sour grapes on you guys for acting like he had some master plan of screwing the Niners out of a freaking 3rd last year. Yeah, I'm sure, all along, the practice was to devote 13 years of his life to becoming so good at a sport that he positions himself to be a mid-round selection by a particular team, just to go out and play balls out for them when they needed him most last year, only to retire as the best possible time for the organization to react. yeah, that was it.
you are nutty

the new cba prohibits new deals for rookies prior to the last year, I think it is.

and I agree -- he screwed the niners, although it's his decision to look out for his health.
Screwed the NIners, how? They can, if they choose, recoup money back on the incomplete portion of the contract. Other than that, I think every NFL team goes into these things "signing optimistically" and thinking players will work out their contracts but they know that injuries, the team's decisions, or the players may prohibit that.

If anything, I think doing it now versus waiting until after the draft, when he's a couple weeks into training camp, HELPS the Niners. They can react now.
Man, you and Kool Aid Larry are acting like, all of a sudden, someone broke new news that the draft isn't a calculated crapshoot.

Go talk to any fan of ANY team and they can tell you a story about how their team has whiffed and burned a draft pick on a player because he was a bust, got hurt, wasn't what they expected, etc. It's the nature of the game. You draft a Jamarcus Russell with a high pick and sometimes you get...Jamarcus Russell. You draft a Marcus Lattimore and sometimes that's what you get.

These are ALL calculated risks and the Niners, as well as every team, knows this. If they don't like it, they should trade their picks for players they think are safer and more likely to play. Or perhaps they could do a better job befored dedicating themselves to a Lattimore type. They understand the risks.

Borland absolutely helped them. He could have easily have waited and quit on them during camp, could have faked an injury and collected cash. Could have walked through the motions and been a detriment to the team. He did none of those. He retired while the Niners can still pursue free agents or adjust their draft board.

Given the situation where a man decides his health is more important than money and given the options AT THAT POINT, he did the best he could do for all parties involved.

Sour grapes on you guys for acting like he had some master plan of screwing the Niners out of a freaking 3rd last year. Yeah, I'm sure, all along, the practice was to devote 13 years of his life to becoming so good at a sport that he positions himself to be a mid-round selection by a particular team, just to go out and play balls out for them when they needed him most last year, only to retire as the best possible time for the organization to react. yeah, that was it.
you are nutty
If not that, I like the Patriots so, one way or the other, you can find fault with me :)

Schefter is a primadonna drama queen. All those guys are just nfl tmz

Last edited by a moderator:

"Might retire after one year" is not typically one of the risks that teams plug into the equation.

Any chance Borland "unretires" if he gets a new deal? If he did it would set a HUGE precedent for young guys that have early rookie success.

There is little incentive for the 49ers to lock him up now as he's cheap. For him, there perhaps is little incentive to go through the grind for 250-300k after taxes.

I wonder if he would unretire if they offered him a one-year 5 million dollar contract.

I don't buy that it's a "smart decision" or a good decision. He's been playing football for years. I think the concussion thing is not going to be a big problem anymore. The old guys now that are having problems probably had 10-15 concussions when they were young, and practices used to be grueling. The average NFL player probably takes a fraction of the punishment now, that players took in the 70's and 80's.

Borland will be fine, and if he does retire, then good for him. But I don't see the story as being over yet. I think he's willing to walk away from the game rather than take his low salary. If he was a backup lb, I doubt he'd retire.

But the fact that he had great success last year, coupled with the fact that it comes right after Patrick Willis retires? I think he's playing the 49ers.
Sorry but if you don't understand the possible punishment from going up against a bunch of college kids vs taking the toll of a long career in the NFL I can't help you. Also Borland probably looks at now as his chance to "get out while he can" since right now he hasn't take the higher level of punishment from the NFL too long and he got his chance to be in the NFL.

Its likely not something he could decide to walk away from after college because he had worked his whole life to get here. He also likely had a lot more ability to talk to ex-NFL players in the last year than he did during college.

Finally to think the "concussion thing is not going to be a big problem anymore" is burying your head into the sand. The only way this is the case is if they can "cure" concussions which to my knowledge is not even an area of study for the medical field as they don't even know what concussions fully do at this point long-term.

PS - I think its much more likely he experienced a concussion this last year or saw players with concussions and the push to have it covered up more so than in college. That could also be a major reason why he decided to "see the light" and move on from the NFL.

People should do a little research before making wild suggestions.

A rookie contract can't be renegotiated, even if the team WANTED TO, until the last year of the deal. A player can't hold out in the first three years even if they want to.

Screwed the NIners, how? They can, if they choose, recoup money back on the incomplete portion of the contract. Other than that, I think every NFL team goes into these things "signing optimistically" and thinking players will work out their contracts but they know that injuries, the team's decisions, or the players may prohibit that.If anything, I think doing it now versus waiting until after the draft, when he's a couple weeks into training camp, HELPS the Niners. They can react now.
Man, you and Kool Aid Larry are acting like, all of a sudden, someone broke new news that the draft isn't a calculated crapshoot. Go talk to any fan of ANY team and they can tell you a story about how their team has whiffed and burned a draft pick on a player because he was a bust, got hurt, wasn't what they expected, etc. It's the nature of the game. You draft a Jamarcus Russell with a high pick and sometimes you get...Jamarcus Russell. You draft a Marcus Lattimore and sometimes that's what you get.

"Might retire after one year" is not typically one of the risks that teams plug into the equation.
Their bad for being less than thorough, then.

No? You don't think that every NFL team doesn't look hard at every player's health, injury history, etc? Do you think for a second that there isn't a section in EVERY player's chart these days that says something to the effect of "Concussion history"? These teams look at these things, as well as play out a lot of "what if" scenarios. Not only do they know that there is the possibility a player will bust, will quit, will sustain injury, etc, they also look at character, financials (yes, they have a scale that factors in "what's the chances this guy checks out once we make him a millionaire".

This isn't you or me choosing between apples on a cart. These are big time corporate America millions of dollars contract transactions. They don't go into it thinking nothing could possibly go wrong and they just might burn ANY pick they use.

No? You don't think that every NFL team doesn't look hard at every player's health, injury history, etc? Do you think for a second that there isn't a section in EVERY player's chart these days that says something to the effect of "Concussion history"? These teams look at these things, as well as play out a lot of "what if" scenarios. Not only do they know that there is the possibility a player will bust, will quit, will sustain injury, etc, they also look at character, financials (yes, they have a scale that factors in "what's the chances this guy checks out once we make him a millionaire".

This isn't you or me choosing between apples on a cart. These are big time corporate America millions of dollars contract transactions. They don't go into it thinking nothing could possibly go wrong and they just might burn ANY pick they use.
Of course teams look at health and injury history. Borland isn't retiring because of an injury history, or because of a current health issue.

You seem to think teams put some sort of "will he quit the league after 1 year despite being perfectly healthy" grade on draft prospects, alongside their multitude of other grades. I strongly suspect you're wrong.

This isn't going to change the way teams do business. There have been surprises in the past. Not like the teams committed to these players. Contracts are not guaranteed like every other major sport and rookies make pennies on the dollar. Him retiring is the same as if he were a bust 3rd round pick. Same level of risk/reward. He didn't indicate to them he may not want to play nor should he. Most of us don't work the job of our dreams and not a single one of us would walk into a job interview saying "well maybe I'll stay, maybe I won't" even though a lot of us probably feel that way. I don't fault the guy. Sports definitely has a high degree of shadiness in their business practices. I've seen it first hand. Probably more so on the collegiate level. Maybe he found the NFL to be morally bankrupt and walked away. Good on him. People need to lighten up on the bashing though. Not everyone is married to dollars and when no one is saying or doing the right thing because they are too afraid to within that system (the protection of the shield) the right choice is to walk away for a lot of people. Look at Schefter bagging on the guy on his twitter feed and pointing to John Moffitt like it's Borland's future. That's a despicable level of going out of your way to make your product better than what it is. The league went out of it's way to issue a statement less than 24 hours after it happened but I'm still not sure they have made a statement about Ray Rice, Greg Hardy, Adrian Peterson, Josh Gordon or Marshawn Lynch. Guy did what was right for HIS life. Leave him alone.

Whether he quit or not is irrelevant. The signing bonus is fully earned the second he signs his name on the contract. He does not need to give the money back.

He is doing that completely on his own.

Whether he quit or not is irrelevant. The signing bonus is fully earned the second he signs his name on the contract. He does not need to give the money back.

Not true and yes he does have to just like any other player who retires who returns money and him quitting is very very relevant, if he didnt quit aka retire he would still be playing and would not have to pay it back.

Clarence Hill @clarencehilljr · 2h2 hours ago

Borland couldn't have it both ways. He can't quit and keep the bonus. That's basic

Chris Borland was suppose to return his bonus. If he didn't he would be stealing. What am I missing.

Are we so conditioned to expect the worst that basic stuff is glorified

Tim Kawakami @timkawakami · 4h4 hours ago

Here's what I wrote about Chris Borland's bonus yesterday: http://bayareane.ws/1CJHD8G . The 49ers had every right to take back 75% of it...

Not true and yes he does have to just like any other player who retires who returns money and him quitting is very very relevant, if he didnt quit aka retire he would still be playing and would not have to pay it back.
They would not have tried to get it back.

htf would you know?

Kool-Aid Larry said:
flapgreen said:
VarsityBlues123 said:
Batman30 said:

htf would you know?
And htf do you know they would have? It's a opinion. Based on the PR storm created, I'm guessing they would've tried to avoid it and hoped Borland would return it voluntarily, which he did. Sheesh. I didn't say the guy risked his life to save a family from a burning building. I said I was impressed by how he is handling the situation. Some of you guys are so cynical about everything. Some people have good motives behind what they do. It actually exists. Now, go back to bashing Cutler or telling people how clueless they are or whatever it is you always do around here. #### dude

VarsityBlues123 said:
flapgreen said:
VarsityBlues123 said:
I'm impressed
with what? he is supposed to pay it back, he quit.
That he paid it back and didn't have to.
I dont know why on earth people think he is able to keep the money.
I like how he has handled the situation. Nothing more. I'm not lavishing the guy with praise. He's the first well known guy I can think of to get out this early. It doesn't mean others are wrong for not doing so. I don't know his background and I don't really care. I think it could make an impact on the decisions of others in the future. It could end up being a good thing.

VarsityBlues123 said:
flapgreen said:
VarsityBlues123 said:
I'm impressed
with what? he is supposed to pay it back, he quit.
That he paid it back and didn't have to.
I dont know why on earth people think he is able to keep the money.
I like how he has handled the situation. Nothing more. I'm not lavishing the guy with praise. He's the first well known guy I can think of to get out this early. It doesn't mean others are wrong for not doing so. I don't know his background and I don't really care. I think it could make an impact on the decisions of others in the future. It could end up being a good thing.
you said he didnt have to pay it back, that is what led to my comment. but in response to your recent comment.

You are happy people are quitting the sport you like to watch after one year and hope his decision leads to more people quitting and more people quitting is a good thing?

You are happy people are quitting the sport you like to watch after one year and hope his decision leads to more people quitting and more people quitting is a good thing?
Yes, this is a good thing. As soon as some of these football stadiums get retrofitted and become real football stadiums, we'll be better off. The rise of "soccer" is around the corner and that is a good thing.

Soccer will never have a large rise of popularity in America without rules changes that the rest of the world would never get behind.

Yes, this is a good thing. As soon as some of these football stadiums get retrofitted and become real football stadiums, we'll be better off. The rise of "soccer" is around the corner and that is a good thing.
one of his 2 concussions was from playing soccer

Soccer will never have a large rise of popularity in America without rules changes that the rest of the world would never get behind.
What about when 1/2 the country has roots in Latin America and speaks Spanish as their first language?
There's a pretty large percentage of Hispanic Americans in the U.S. right now, and I don't think the numbers show the kind of correlation you're talking about.

I also don't think you can expect literally half the country to be Hispanic (and speak Spanish as their first language) for a long, long, long time. Some areas on the West coast boast majority Hispanic populations, but the rest of the country, it isn't even close.

There will always be too many people who just don't care about soccer in America for it to reach anything close to NFL levels of popularity.

the people on twitter calling this guy a coward are also working minimum wage jobs or are chronic welfare cases.

no idea what hard work is or planning for the future
lol at thinking min wage laborers dont work hard. i mean, ffs, they work harder than anyone else.

the people on twitter calling this guy a coward are also working minimum wage jobs or are chronic welfare cases.

lol at thinking min wage laborers dont work hard. i mean, ffs, they work harder than anyone else.
yeah that was bad comment at has no ring of truth much like his posts in the gordon thread.

has anyone played football here on a team? i wonder how many would say to their team mate if he walked in the locker room saying "i quit because i dont want to get hurt." would the team and guys say, "hey man good for you quitting on your team like that it is very admirable."

people keep saying it is his choice, it is, he is able to quit anything he wants. but he quit on his team none the less. why is his fear being glorified? im so confused why a guy who said "i quit because i'm scared of getting hurt" would get any supporters on a site that supports football and treated as if he is doing something admirable. i must live on welfare and make minimum wage and have no idea of hard work and planning for my future since this is my opinion.

What about when 1/2 the country has roots in Latin America and speaks Spanish as their first language?
There's a pretty large percentage of Hispanic Americans in the U.S. right now, and I don't think the numbers show the kind of correlation you're talking about.

I also don't think you can expect literally half the country to be Hispanic (and speak Spanish as their first language) for a long, long, long time. Some areas on the West coast boast majority Hispanic populations, but the rest of the country, it isn't even close.

There will always be too many people who just don't care about soccer in America for it to reach anything close to NFL levels of popularity.
Your initial comment didn't say anything about NFL levels of popularity. It talked about a large rise in popularity. Which is already happening.

Please stop sympathizing with owners who are too cheap and petty to put in cameras (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/03/23/john-mara-says-adding-cameras-to-help-refs-is-too-expensive/) to make the game better and a commissioner who makes exponentially more than any player to sit on his hands during every PR nightmare. The NFLPA is at fault in a major way but the NFL owners have scored big with the rookie contracts. As far as him "screwing" the 9ers, I bet you could look at 3/4's of last years 3rd round and call those players busts already. There is probably legal precedence for him to give back the bonus, he did, calling him a quitter is ridiculous. Sorry he didn't work out for your dynasty but grow up this is a violent sport that takes a major toll on your body.

yeah that was bad comment at has no ring of truth much like his posts in the gordon thread.

has anyone played football here on a team? i wonder how many would say to their team mate if he walked in the locker room saying "i quit because i dont want to get hurt." would the team and guys say, "hey man good for you quitting on your team like that it is very admirable."

people keep saying it is his choice, it is, he is able to quit anything he wants. but he quit on his team none the less. why is his fear being glorified? im so confused why a guy who said "i quit because i'm scared of getting hurt" would get any supporters on a site that supports football and treated as if he is doing something admirable. i must live on welfare and make minimum wage and have no idea of hard work and planning for my future since this is my opinion.
Kinda hard to make the "he quit on his team" argument when the roster is not even set, and there are no games for months.

Borland retired, just like hundreds of players have before him. He just did it at an uncommon age, and for an uncommon reason.

If you can't count on footballguys, who CAN you count on, amirite?

Relax, dude. It's just a guy who probably could've made the team and didn't feel like going out for it. Happens all the time in high school and what, if anything, are football players but arrested development high school jocks? Maybe he got a girlfriend. Or an idea for the next great app. Or a cool car. In fact, "Things Chris Borland could be doing this fall" might make a good thread over in the other forum.

His "fear" isn't being glorified. It has nothing to do with that whatsoever.

He is being praised for putting his health over money.

Pretty sad state of affairs in this country that there are so many people out there who can't comprehend that while having money is nice, your health is truly priceless.

Users who are viewing this thread