What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Civilization VI - Oct. 2016 (1 Viewer)

I can't find the saved game folder on OS or Windows. I am not the brightest bulb. 

Help? What is the normal file path?
I always create a short cut on my desktop to get to them.. On my PC it is located at : "C:\Users\myname\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Saves\Single"

:thumbup:

What is required to embark a troop to go over the ocean?

Also can catapults not link up like the siege tower? ####### AI wrecks them. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm with you guys on the game.  Everything is awesome...except the AI.  They are really bad.  I've had a few scares where I left a worker or settler unattended and the AI popped up in the fog.  Yet they just pass me by.

Needs a patch desperately but when it's all said and done, it will be an amazing game.

Bizarre happenings in my first real game, going for a science victory:

1. Kongo gets way ahead of me in Science, starts a war, sends all his troops over to my continent and gets them cut to ribbons.  He then sues for peace and gives me his biggest city (!) in the deal, which includes three wonders.  I'm now frantically building up walls because he's already starting #####ing again.  We're about to remake the movie Zulu.
  2. Barbarian showed up at my gates a few turns ago with an anti-tank gun (terrorist, I guess).  I can't even produce those yet.
  3. Still haven't figured out how to use religion.  Got 3,000 Faith points just sitting there laughing at me.
  4. The Norwegian leader is a hoot.  Keeps showing up in his motorcycle helmet every 20 turns to tell me I don't have a seat at Odin's table.  Get back in the longboat, Olaf, you're in last place.
Loving the game and the graphics but yeah, it needs a little work.

Starting position is up at CF:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachments/6otm_01_start-jpg.457217/

To me it seems like move warrior NW and see what is there.  If there is a hill tile in the fog to the NW settle between the gypsum/dye.  

If there's nothing up there then need to pull down and right with settler and likely settle on the SE recommended spot.

In any situation that tile between the two luxuries is City 1 or 2 with all the adjacencies for city 3 positioned NE back towards city 3 which will be somewhere on water up and right.  As it's laid out won't have to demo any resources.  

poke holes

Scout->Scout->Settler imo

Forum thread:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/news-announcement-civ6-6otm-game-01.603441/
Great learning experience in the game is to compare yourself with the other great players.  Play 100 turns and then read their notes on their first 100 turns.  A lot of times especially when starting out, I'll just forget about actually submitting and just "re-do" my first 100 turns.  I know it doesn't count for that particular GOTM, but it helps you learn strategies to use in later games.

Roosevelt: Here's a bunch of gold, some luxuries, and a relic to participate in a joint war with me against Victoria.

Me: Sounds great. Victoria has become a problem.

Roosevelt: You're a warmonger! Nobody is above the law!

In looking at the first 100 turns, I noticed a lot of people on the forum are far more aggressive than me.  I'm going to re-start and try and implement their aggressive behavior.  I had Egypt's capital and 3 of my own for a total of 4 cities.  4 really strong cities...but I'd much rather have 11 as some people in that forum did.

Bizarre happenings in my first real game, going for a science victory:

1. Kongo gets way ahead of me in Science, starts a war, sends all his troops over to my continent and gets them cut to ribbons.  He then sues for peace and gives me his biggest city (!) in the deal, which includes three wonders.  I'm now frantically building up walls because he's already starting #####ing again.  We're about to remake the movie Zulu.
  2. Barbarian showed up at my gates a few turns ago with an anti-tank gun (terrorist, I guess).  I can't even produce those yet.
  3. Still haven't figured out how to use religion.  Got 3,000 Faith points just sitting there laughing at me.
  4. The Norwegian leader is a hoot.  Keeps showing up in his motorcycle helmet every 20 turns to tell me I don't have a seat at Odin's table.  Get back in the longboat, Olaf, you're in last place.
Loving the game and the graphics but yeah, it needs a little work.
If you didn't get a religion and just have faith accumulating, you can buy Great People with the faith points.  They are a bit expensive but rushing a Great Person or two could give your faith points some value.

I don't get barb spawns at all. I assumed that they could spawn at the tech of the highest player but I never see barb spawns at my level.  Maybe they did elsewhere and caused havoc for some AI but I haven't seen it.  By the mid-game, I'm usually one shotting barbs with something.

My gotm first 100 comments are up over there.  

It is amazing when you develop an intricate 200 turn plan and have to throw it all out for ####### barbs. 

I don't get barb spawns at all. I assumed that they could spawn at the tech of the highest player but I never see barb spawns at my level.  Maybe they did elsewhere and caused havoc for some AI but I haven't seen it.  By the mid-game, I'm usually one shotting barbs with something.

I'll never forget sending a leveled-up warrior to root out an undefended barbarian camp once, and then it got attacked by a warrior barbarian just enough so that I had to heal it for a couple of turns.

It healed, I moved it one turn away from the barbarian camp...

...and a swordsman barbarian suddenly spawns and ####s my #### up. :lmao:  

Also when a cs gets its military taken over do you get a notification?  All of a sudden I got a cs up in my ### and I swear I didn't see them dow.

In looking at the first 100 turns, I noticed a lot of people on the forum are far more aggressive than me.  I'm going to re-start and try and implement their aggressive behavior.  I had Egypt's capital and 3 of my own for a total of 4 cities.  4 really strong cities...but I'd much rather have 11 as some people in that forum did.
This seems to be the norm.  Balls out chop an army and go take cities and settle later. 

If barbs get you well then :ptts: there's always next month. 

What is required to embark a troop to go over the ocean?

Also can catapults not link up like the siege tower? ####### AI wrecks them. 
I believe you need the Shipbuilding tech.  Took me a while to figure that out.  I think it tells you that in the description of the tech in the index but not in the tech tree.

Well...when it comes to Rome, the Legions are everything.  I took the advice of someone in the Civfanatics forum and re-played the first 100 turns.  I have 9 cities, 1 settler about to found the 10th in 1 turn, and another settler that will be completed in 2 turns.

I destroyed everyone on the continent.

I also never chop woods, btw.  I hate losing that production later, but in higher difficulties, I'll probably have to.

Basically, the build order was:   scout, slinger, builder, slinger, slinger, settler, slingers/archers, <various infrastructure buildings when needed, like water mills>

Slingers, slingers and more slingers.  Then upgrade them to archers, then build a crap ton of Legions.  It's almost too easy.  I'm not sure if I'll complete this game or not because I won't be able to submit it anyway and it would just be an exercise in clicking next.  

Rome is a great CIV to play with.  Unfortunately those forums probably won't use it again for a year or two.

Quick question on a game I played last night:  small map, continents, I was playing as Germany.

After I settled my city, I sent my warrior around, and built a scout, and sent him around.  It did not take long to figure out I was on a peninsula, and a mountain range completely blocked off the only land area I had - so essentially I could not go anywhere outside of my little peninsula. 

On one hand, I had no barbarians to deal with, and nobody could attack me, but the flip side is it got really old not being able to send any land units anywhere.  I eventually built of a few galleys to explore the coastal water, and was researching better navigation, bigger ships, etc.  But what should I have been doing?  I settled 2 more cities in my peninsula before I ran out of real estate.

Can you eventually build ships to take land units to other parts of the world, or do you just focus on building up science/religion/culture and ignore the rest of the world?

Quick question on a game I played last night:  small map, continents, I was playing as Germany.

After I settled my city, I sent my warrior around, and built a scout, and sent him around.  It did not take long to figure out I was on a peninsula, and a mountain range completely blocked off the only land area I had - so essentially I could not go anywhere outside of my little peninsula. 

On one hand, I had no barbarians to deal with, and nobody could attack me, but the flip side is it got really old not being able to send any land units anywhere.  I eventually built of a few galleys to explore the coastal water, and was researching better navigation, bigger ships, etc.  But what should I have been doing?  I settled 2 more cities in my peninsula before I ran out of real estate.

Can you eventually build ships to take land units to other parts of the world, or do you just focus on building up science/religion/culture and ignore the rest of the world?
Researching ship building ( I think that is the one) gives your units the embark ability so your settlers, workers, etc... can just :drive: themselves over to new land.

Had an odd crash to desktop last night as Germany. For some odd reason, if I took Philadelphia, the game crashed. Tried waiting some turns, tried taking another city first, but no matter what happened if I tried to take Philly the game crashed. 

I no longer trust America.

I think for a space victory one would choose to keep two Science C-S and a production C-S that gives bonuses specifically tailored to a space race, but that's just me not knowing really what to do.

But the opens on these games is pretty well established.  Build a bunch of slingers and a horseman and go conquer stuff, upgrade them to archers, conquer more stuff.  Fill in gaps with own settlers.  Rush to factories. Profit.

Legions have been fairly underwhelming to me.  They are slow moving and are not good at storming cities by themselves.  City bombard just ignore them and concentrate on archers/xbow/cats so they aren't acting as a meat shield.  I regret not building more archers when I had the chance and using loot to later upgrade to xbow, or else not tech xbows as they are so spendy.

It is nice to see that the AI can get roflstomped by barbs as well. 

I also have zero idea how to manage trade routes, or how to optimize where they start and finish.  I am totally in the dark and filthyrobot on youtube keeps telling me how powerful they are, but seem fairly meh to me. :shrug:

I also have zero idea how to manage trade routes, or how to optimize where they start and finish.  I am totally in the dark and filthyrobot on youtube keeps telling me how powerful they are, but seem fairly meh to me. :shrug:
I send them to non-cap cities and route to the cap (or the best other city of mine).  Great early production and growth for new or conquered cities but I haven't figured out the formula for determining what you get out of a trade route yet.

I barely use international trade routes. I use as many domestic routes as possible for added production. Sometimes I'll assign multiple routes to my newest cites to get them kick started. Other times I'll assign several to a city where I'm trying to build a wonder or something else that's going to take a lot of turns without them. I keep them on food poor cities throughout the game as they help with that as well.

Just to be clear, the city they start from is the city receiving the benefits.

Top 5 things I don't get, or don't understand well enough to really be competent.

• Faith based anything. Don't have a clue why one would use this mechanic if not going for religion, or what non religious win based thing would make me want to create faith.
  • Bombard range, seems like the range is 2, except when it isn't.  
  • Scaling production in the 80-150 turn range is impossible, there must be something I'm missing.  Everything takes like 25 turns.  And that includes industrial districts, and that's just a empty lot with nothing on it.
  • Great People at least early seem weak.  I can't also see a reason to build wonders, they are all so spendy I can't figure out any that make sense.
  • Civics.  I'm probably really screwing up micro-managing these.  Cycling in and out of the extra builder actions, and in and out of different envoy/gpp is probably killing me.  I don't think it's set and forget, but haven't dug into them in detail enough to make sense of it.

Top 5 things I don't get, or don't understand well enough to really be competent.

• Faith based anything. Don't have a clue why one would use this mechanic if not going for religion, or what non religious win based thing would make me want to create faith.
You can use faith to help buy great people. Also, if you start a religion you can tailor benefits to help whatever strat you are going for. Not really needed at all, but you may be forced to go to war with the religion leader to stop a victory if you don't have apostles. 

There is a specific culture strat that relies on starting a religion and getting the Reliquaries belief that gives triple tourism for relics. Then you get the wonder that gives all of your apostles the Martyr promotion (Mont St. Michael's). Then you make a bunch of apostles and send them off to their deaths because the Martyr promotion gives you a relic every time one dies. Make sure you have enough relic slots to stuff them all in and victory is yours.

Well, probably need some Theaters and Great Works too. Russia is the favorite civ for this strat, but can be accomplished with almost anybody. You do need to get a religion pretty quick to make sure you get Reliquaries.

Faith based anything. Don't have a clue why one would use this mechanic if not going for religion, or what non religious win based thing would make me want to create faith.

• Bombard range, seems like the range is 2, except when it isn't.  
It's always range two unless terrain is blocking.

Scaling production in the 80-150 turn range is impossible, there must be something I'm missing.  Everything takes like 25 turns.  And that includes industrial districts, and that's just a empty lot with nothing on it.
This is where domestic trade routes are your best friend.

I also do not chop ever.  Better to improve production yields than take the one time blast, IMO.  Significantly boosts mid-game production.  Its rare for me to have a district run for more than 10 turns once I get moving.

I also do not chop ever.  Better to improve production yields than take the one time blast, IMO.  Significantly boosts mid-game production.  Its rare for me to have a district run for more than 10 turns once I get moving.
In a hill starved area there's not enough ways to get production off the ground.  Jungle tiles and non river forest tiles on plains seem no brainer tiles to chop for archers or builders or settlers as well as tiles where you will ultimately place districts.  

Not chopping district landing spots is absolutely not-optimal, not only does it take longer to make those tiles you don't get the food/hammers out of it that you would have chopping it.  

River forests are really the only tiles I don't chop.  I find myself chopping for builders to do more chopping if I am anticipating a big push. 

Had an odd crash to desktop last night as Germany. For some odd reason, if I took Philadelphia, the game crashed. Tried waiting some turns, tried taking another city first, but no matter what happened if I tried to take Philly the game crashed. 

I no longer trust America.
I blame Clinton/Bush/Obama/Clinton

PlasmaDogPlasma said:
It's always range two unless terrain is blocking.

This is where domestic trade routes are your best friend.
Until you have an observation balloon, then adjacent bombard is 3. :moneybag:

I'm doing the Game of the Month..though it doesnt' count because I re-played the first 100 turns.  But it's still interesting to see how well I can do in a science game.  I'm going to finish at around Turn 273ish...

Note regarding science games:  Get 3 spaceports up and running so in the final push you can make all 3 simultaneously.

There are 4-5 other little things involving policies, etc that I'd focus on in the future and I think I could finish at around Turn 250 or possibly quicker on this level at least.

So question about gold - is that something to be hoarded until later stages, or is it best used buying units/tiles/districts? Or used for something else?

So question about gold - is that something to be hoarded until later stages, or is it best used buying units/tiles/districts? Or used for something else?
I find myself hoarding to buy priority tiles early and transition to military upgrades. The cities are currently terrible at tile expands and the AI is poor at staying current. Works well but I'd like to hear other strategies.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/trade-routes-guide.604710/

This is useful.  I really screwed up in GOTM not leveraging this stuff.
:thanks:

BTW.. In the middle of a game now and see some of the AI issues you all have been seeing..

Prince level, Sparta was just a hop & Skip away from me but we were peaceful for quite sometime so I left them alone.. They then denounced me for something( can't recall why now) so since I had 4 or 5 troops I decided to see if I could take it..

She had 1 troop there to defend, and no other cities.. We were in the "AD" period now and she had only one city??????

Needless to say Sparta has been taken ;)

I should have got a screenshot last night of this strange AI behavior.  Was tooting around with a caravel and Germany had basically filled an ocean with horseman and spain had filled the ocean with chariots.  It looked like a checkers board with the red and black.  I'm basically in mop up mode on my GOTM right now.  No real spoilers at this point.  I need to figure out somehow if the GE I got that can give hammers for wonders can be used for space parts, or the best way to use that GE is.

I've started piling up GPP and My science is pouring in.  I'm about to have 3 overlapping factories in my trifecta and will have power plants right behind it.  I have no idea how many turns till I launch.  I'll have legions still running around and will have people on the moon, which is funny.

I don't mean to rain on the parade here, but did Civ VI get old real fast, compared to V and IV's launch?

I've already gotten a tad bored with it and went back to Fallout4 to do some DLC stuff I neglected.

Anyone else feel this way?

I find myself using it to buy builders early on to spam development while I produce a modest army to deal with barbs & perhaps an early invasion.

Yeah, I'm not just dying to get back to it.  AI is just too ####ty.  GOTM and then wait for an update or mods

I don't mean to rain on the parade here, but did Civ VI get old real fast, compared to V and IV's launch?

I've already gotten a tad bored with it and went back to Fallout4 to do some DLC stuff I neglected.

Anyone else feel this way?
5 sucked for a year or two.. I seriously went back to IV for quite sometime until the last add on came out.

So far I'm still learning and enjoying it quite a bit... Then again life is busy so I'm only into my 2nd leader that lasted into the 1900's. Once I finish this game I'll jump up to King level probably as Prince level has definitely been easier then it was in 5. :popcorn:

What level does everyone play?  I will be finishing up my first complete game tonight - a Prince level with Gorgo, and it seems a bit too easy - I am so far ahead in tech, that my army units really have no match.

I imagine the Diety level would kill me before I got started, but what is the right level for a challenge?

I won two games at Prince and have moved to the King level.  I think I'm going to stay here for a little while but expect to take on the next level in a month or so.  Trying out different leaders and different winning conditions.  Both of my wins were domination victories at around turn 300 or so.

I saw a Deity game where an AI spawned right next to a human player.  Of the units we saw, there were 5 warriors and 3 settlers.  I heard someone say that the AI actually starts with 8 warriors but haven't seen any confirmation of this yet (I also do not doubt it).

Tomyris is an unbelievably powerful leader.  Late game, I was building helicopters (her bonus is 2 Saka horse archers or light cavalry units on a build) and immediately forming a corp with them.  Extremely fast and powerful.  Way too much fun.  She has to be the most powerful leader there is but I'd like to hear arguments otherwise.

There is a discussion about this on reddit. Apparently at emperor and higher the AI will boatrace you to a religious victory on turn 160.  If you can defend barbs and then find the religious AI and kill it then its over.  

Any levels below that if you survive the barbs and have even a halfway decent start its a slam dunk.

I wish we could do some multiplayer here on a turn by turn system. I don't know if there is an infrastructure for that or not.

If anyone wants to add me on steam my id there is same as here. 

I finished a Prince-level Domination win on turn 197, 1360 AD, with a score of 577.  I was in the Industrial Age, everyone else that was still alive was still in Medieval Age.  None of the AIs ever upgraded their walls from ancient walls so the last couple of Capitals fell pretty quickly - 1 Bombard shot took down the walls, then a shot from the muskets, followed by Calvary from one side, and a knight from the other side, and the Capital was done.

I used Gorgo, mostly due to the extra government wildcard.  I started off attacking America - and I have never seen anything as sad as Teddy Roosevelt begging for peace - he was not MAGA!  I did finally accept a peace offering that included all of his gold and a decent amount for the next 30 rounds.  I notice Tomyris had set up below me, so I went and attacked her - got Gorgo special unit the Hoplites, which were effective against her horse archers - took down her capital, then got a catapult which made the next couple of cities fall easier.

Only time I was attacked/invaded was by Rome towards the end of my conquest of Scithians - lucky for me Rome attacked a city where I had already fortified, and set up an encampment on the edge of the city - so I was able to hold of the Roman Legions until my guys got back from war, and I chased them back to Rome, which I promptly sacked.

I ended up with a pretty big army, which is good for marauding through the lands, but very time consuming, even if I set some moves up in advance.

I was so far ahead in tech, that the AIs never had a chance - when I wasn't fighting, I was chasing Eurekas so I could move quickly through the research.  I guess the AI's don't really try that - at least at the Prince level.

One of the other reasons I like Gorgo, is that you also get culture with every kill you make - enemy or Barb - so you have a chance to go for a culture victory if you get to a point where Domination does not look possible.  Two things I did not do well - plan my cities/districts.  As I built, I just took whatever was the biggest bonus at the time, but never planned around what districts work with other districts.  It also took me a while to figure out what to do with all my great people - mostly parked them in cities until I realized how to unlock their potential.

Users who are viewing this thread