What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Colin Kaepernick Thread and related anthem kneeling issues/news (6 Viewers)

Not necessarily, if he had an inferior supporting cast. And even if he did well, I am certain it would not change the opinion of one of his critics here (we would hear, "Of course he looks great, any decent NFL caliber QB would dominate that league").
IMO, it still doesn't change that CK will demand big money to either 1) make it worth his while or 2) continue to play the victim card and make the NFL look bad. I am fairly confident he has made quite a bit of money from Nike. Signing somewhere as a #2 or #3 QB for a couple of million bucks would take him out of the spotlight. He would lose attention, would have less impact as a reserve player that never plays, and generally would dilute his ability to play the victim card. It would not shock me at all if he said his minimum contract would have to be $20+ million a year with 3 years guaranteed. If not, what incentive does he really have to come back?

Not necessarily, if he had an inferior supporting cast. And even if he did well, I am certain it would not change the opinion of one of his critics here (we would hear, "Of course he looks great, any decent NFL caliber QB would dominate that league").
Seems like after 3 years of not getting a shot in the NFL he’d take that risk if he really wanted to play

Seems like after 3 years of not getting a shot in the NFL he’d take that risk if he really wanted to play
It wouldn't have made any difference to the NFL teams who had blackballed him nor any of his critics here.

And look at the CFL. When was the last time a QB who was successful there became an NFL starter? Answer: Jeff Garcia in 1999 and no one since then.

It wouldn't have made any difference to the NFL teams who had blackballed him nor any of his critics here.

And look at the CFL. When was the last time a QB who was successful there became an NFL starter? Answer: Jeff Garcia in 1999 and no one since then.
We don’t know that

We don’t know that
I think we do. He was considered a distraction by NFL teams for the media circus his signing would cause. No amount of success in the CFL or any other league would have made him any less of a distraction (and he still intended to kneel which is why the Seahawks cancelled a scheduled workout with the team.

I think we do. He was considered a distraction by NFL teams for the media circus his signing would cause. No amount of success in the CFL or any other league would have made him any less of a distraction (and he still intended to kneel which is why the Seahawks cancelled a scheduled workout with the team.
Just seems like a guy who really wanted to play in the NFL again would explore all possible options 

Just seems like a guy who really wanted to play in the NFL again would explore all possible options 
Bingo. And it’s why saying he was blackballed doesn’t really hold up when you look at it from all angles. 
This argument seems disingenuous to me.  As I noted above, there's not really anything for CK to gain by playing in these leagues.  He wouldn't earn a meaningful salary, compared to what he likely earns in endorsements today or compared to NFL salaries.  He wouldn't earn any meaningful "he can still play!" credibility, as any success could easily be written off as inferior competition.  He would certainly run the risk of serious injury.  He wouldn't bring any additional eyeballs to his cause (however you feel about that cause).

We can debate whether the NFL has or hasn't backballed him.  We can debate whether he would get more attention for his cause by remaining out of the NFL or by signing a league minimum NFL backup contract (assuming he has been or will be offered one).  It's silly to debate whether he has anything meaningful to gain by playing in the AAFL or XFL.

That said, I certainly wouldn't criticize him for playing, as it's hard to quantify a "Bull Durham"-like love of playing for its own sake.

You think he's still got a shot at a starting job?   On which team?

I think we are getting wayyyyyy too far ahead of ourselves asking if he could be a starter. I actually dunno why this wouldn't go in the actual NFL Colin Kaepernick thread since this is the Politics forum, and the Kaepernick thread is getting use. If it's an NFL talent matter, shouldn't it go in the NFL thread? If it's a politics matter (his views he's protesting) it would go here IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
squistion said:
He wouldnt be doing it to improve his street cred in the PSF. HTH. 

If he had a legit shot at starting, and leading a team to a playoff run, I could see it happening.  Most likely, at this point, he would fail, and then his legacy as a martyr is tarnished......I just don't see any way he plays unless maybe he is symbolically signed by a team for the everyone involved to take advantage of the sitch.....I dunno, I just don't think he's good enough of a passer, and he's been out of the game for so long now

so here's where I am with this:

1. protesting  is what it means to be an American.  This country was founded on protests - Stamp Act, Boston Tea Party, etc.  It's who we are, it's what we do.  Protesting is how we hold government accountable to the people when voting doesn't work.  Our right to protest was ingrained in the very first amendment in the Bill of rights, ahead of gun ownership.   
  2. protesting only works by making people uncomfortable.  If it doesn't make the news, it isn't effective.  if it doesn't make you pay attention, is it really a protest? 
  3. if the goal is to make us uncomfortable, we don't get to dictate when and where protests can or should happen.  Might as well take away the ability to protest, which per my point #1, is unAamerican.
  4. The National Anthem and Old Glory are symbols of our country as a whole, not just the military.   That flag flies over military bases and coffins, but it also flies over police stations, banks, schools, and garages.  The Star Spangled Banner is not the official song of any of our armed forces - taking a knee as it is played is a protest against our country, not our military.
  5. Kaepernick was blackballed because people were uncomfortable with his protests.  Sucks for him.  He won't get a chance again, too far removed.  No one is bringing in a QB who hasn't played in 4 years, regardless of the political baggage that will come with him.

so here's where I am with this:

1. protesting  is what it means to be an American.  This country was founded on protests - Stamp Act, Boston Tea Party, etc.  It's who we are, it's what we do.  Protesting is how we hold government accountable to the people when voting doesn't work.  Our right to protest was ingrained in the very first amendment in the Bill of rights, ahead of gun ownership.   
  2. protesting only works by making people uncomfortable.  If it doesn't make the news, it isn't effective.  if it doesn't make you pay attention, is it really a protest? 
  3. if the goal is to make us uncomfortable, we don't get to dictate when and where protests can or should happen.  Might as well take away the ability to protest, which per my point #1, is unAamerican.
  4. The National Anthem and Old Glory are symbols of our country as a whole, not just the military.   That flag flies over military bases and coffins, but it also flies over police stations, banks, schools, and garages.  The Star Spangled Banner is not the official song of any of our armed forces - taking a knee as it is played is a protest against our country, not our military.
  5. Kaepernick was blackballed because people were uncomfortable with his protests.  Sucks for him.  He won't get a chance again, too far removed.  No one is bringing in a QB who hasn't played in 4 years, regardless of the political baggage that will come with him.
I don't disagree with most of your post except maybe #5.  He was blackballed if you will not just because he was going against the owners wishes.  Sure, he has the right the protest.  And they have the right not to employ him if they think he's costing them fans, business, or he's disrespecting something (the flag in this case) that they have a certain level of respect for.  

And there's the layer that his talent wasn't good enough to overcome the other things.  I still think that's true.  If this were a Pro Bowl caliber player leading these protests then the owners would have tolerated it but it wasn't it was just a mediocre at best QB.   It all comes back to money in the end not about someone's right to this, or police brutality or social injustice.  It's about the money

I don't disagree with most of your post except maybe #5.  He was blackballed if you will not just because he was going against the owners wishes.  Sure, he has the right the protest.  And they have the right not to employ him if they think he's costing them fans, business, or he's disrespecting something (the flag in this case) that they have a certain level of respect for.  

And there's the layer that his talent wasn't good enough to overcome the other things.  I still think that's true.  If this were a Pro Bowl caliber player leading these protests then the owners would have tolerated it but it wasn't it was just a mediocre at best QB.   It all comes back to money in the end not about someone's right to this, or police brutality or social injustice.  It's about the money
Yea, I remember when the Cowboys signed Greg Hardy to a one year deal.  I thought to myself, well he's a really talented pass rusher.  If he wasn't a difference maker on the field, he wouldn't have gotten that opportunity......it's sad, but thats how it works.....Kaeps talent didn't justify the risk of all the media circus distraction.  It's that simple really.

Maybe some of the positive out of this is POS people won't get to keep getting more chances?  Winning is an intoxicating drug though

Comedian Jay Pharoah Says He Was Stopped By LAPD While Jogging, Shares Security Footage Of Officer Kneeling On His Neck

Former Saturday Night Live cast member Jay Pharoah says he was stopped by police while jogging in Los Angeles recently, that one of the officers kneeled on his neck and that video footage, apparently from a nearby security camera, recorded the incident.

Pharoah shared the video on Instagram today, saying “I could have easily been an Ahmaud Arbery or a George Floyd.”

Watch the video below.

The actor and comedian speaks about the incident during an appearance to air on Monday’s episode of CBS’ The Talk, describing how he was stopped by four police officers, their guns drawn, as he was running on an L.A. sidewalk. He was told, he said, that he fit the description of a man they were seeking – “a black man with gray sweatpants and a gray shirt,” Pharoah said.

He fell down because he was scared for his life and that was pure survival instinct. And tried to not be the next murder statistic. He could see it coming.

My tolerance for this stuff is basically done.  They had a bunch of officers standing around -- enough to handle an unarmed, compliant, and out-of-shape suspect.  I don't know what this guy was being detained for, but even if it was capital murder there was no reason for siccing the dog on him.

Edit: Also, end qualified immunity.
Sicced the dog on him, then can't control it to get off.  Sickening.

Sicced the dog on him, then can't control it to get off.  Sickening.
Dog needs some retraining too (or the cops handling the dog) for not being able to immediately release on command.  Ive seen some of those dogs and they are amazing and ones Ive seen are incredibly well trained.  That one just seemed to latch on and stay that way.

Daniel Dale @ddale8 11h

After an extreeemely soft Bolton-related interlude, Hannity asks Trump about whether Colin Kaepernick should get another NFL job.

Trump:

"Kaepernick was a great rookie and then had a great second year but then went downhill and then was out of the league and started suing everybody and made a lot of money."

(He might have skipped a couple things in that career history.)

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1273433999009071110

Yeah - it's definitely odd.  Whatever his reasoning is, I agree with him.
It's right in the article you linked:

Trump said, "If he deserves it, he should. If he has the playing ability. His playing wasn't up to snuff."

We all know he doesn't have the ability anymore.  No more excuses.

Trump said, "If he deserves it, he should. If he has the playing ability. His playing wasn't up to snuff."

No we don't because we haven't seen him play.

Dog needs some retraining too (or the cops handling the dog) for not being able to immediately release on command.  Ive seen some of those dogs and they are amazing and ones Ive seen are incredibly well trained.  That one just seemed to latch on and stay that way.
There are comments there that suggest the officer didn't give the command to release until the end. He does seem to lean and whisper to the dog just before he lets go. If so, that's so much worse.

I think a good win-win here would be if Kaep doesn't make a team (and honestly at this point I expect him not to) that Godell bring him in with a role of Social Outreach to work in the community and to further the social justice platform that they do have.

Huh?  I didn't make any comment about why Kaep isn't playing.  I agree his play was definitely a factor in why he's not playing.  I'm saying I don't know why Trump seemed to change his mind - not his typical move.

You just lost the blackballed excuse. 
How? 

Goodell admits the NFL was wrong for not listening to the players that were protesting the police brutality. 

Now Goodell endorses teams to sign Kapernick. 

So if a team signs him it sure seems like he was blackballed until Goodell endorsed it. 

I don't think it was ever a pure blackballing.. he wasn't as good as he thought he was, and came with a ####storm of baggage.

We see how baggage can ruin careers left and right.  Doubt Kaeps baggage got any different treatment than any other baggage from a business decision perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread