What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

College Football Kickoff- Ask Us Anything (1 Viewer)

Devin Knotts

Footballguy
Hey everyone-

I hope you have all had a chance to check out some of the great things for College Football that we are doing in our first year here at Footballguys.

Wanted this to be a little bit of an open forum, where you can ask any of our staff any questions you may have regarding.

For those of you who haven't checked out some of our articles, be sure to go http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=2015dailypreseasonpage

Some potential topics.

Week 1 plays?

Projections questions?

Playoff teams?

Bankroll Management?

Our staff's background?

Live Final Experiences?

Really anything that you want to get to know about us, let us know.

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, I want to say the stuff you guys have put out so far is incredible.

How much weight (if any) do you put on metrics like S&P+ and things of that nature. I didn't really see anyone talking about it last year (at least from the RotoGrinders crew), which surprised me. Everyone just cites yards allowed or points allowed, which can obviously be skewed by context in a big way, especially in college.

Will you be adding college football to the daily crusher app? If not, how about an Interactive Value Chart like you have for NFL?

Will you be adding college football to the daily crusher app? If not, how about an Interactive Value Chart like you have for NFL?
IVC is live- Not sure about the crusher app for this season.

Fanduel

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=tremblay_CFB15FanDuel01

Draftkings

http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=tremblay_CFB15DraftKings01
I think it just moved a little... if you know what I mean!

First of all, I want to say the stuff you guys have put out so far is incredible.

How much weight (if any) do you put on metrics like S&P+ and things of that nature. I didn't really see anyone talking about it last year (at least from the RotoGrinders crew), which surprised me. Everyone just cites yards allowed or points allowed, which can obviously be skewed by context in a big way, especially in college.
I have struggled with this issue for a while, the biggest challenge with S&P+ is that is it translatable to the daily fantasy game. Especially in college football game where blowouts are common, and some players have value in a garbage time situation.

We do have a matchup rating that is customized for each coach basically stating the odds of pulling their players in a blowout situation.

With that said, we are always tweaking our projections model, so I won't rule it out incorporating it in the future, as I think there could be value in it for close games.

I was wondering about the projections for the North Carolina at South Carolina game. Vegas has the O/U at 64 (roughly a 30-33). The projections only account for South Carolina scoring 2.5 touchdowns and North Carolina scoring 3 though. Is the difference in field goals, do you not agree with Vegas's take on the game, or are there some roll players you think might pop?

Edit: I just found the Thursday breakdown on the main page. No need to respond if that covers it.

Hey everyone-

I hope you have all had a chance to check out some of the great things for College Football that we are doing in our first year here at Footballguys.

Wanted this to be a little bit of an open forum, where you can ask any of our staff any questions you may have regarding.

For those of you who haven't checked out some of our articles, be sure to go http://subscribers.footballguys.com/apps/article.php?article=2015dailypreseasonpage

Some potential topics.

Week 1 plays?

Projections questions?

Playoff teams?

Bankroll Management?

Our staff's background?

Live Final Experiences?

How in the world did you get a join date of apr 03 and only have 7 posts? Are David and Joe working the system? :tinfoilhat:

Seriously, looking forward to getting into NCAA lightly this year after a good year of NFL, ok of NBA and not so good MLB.

Hey everyone-

Some potential topics.

Week 1 plays?

Projections questions?

Playoff teams?

Bankroll Management?

Our staff's background?

Live Final Experiences?

How in the world did you get a join date of apr 03 and only have 7 posts? Are David and Joe working the system? :tinfoilhat:

Seriously, looking forward to getting into NCAA lightly this year after a good year of NFL, ok of NBA and not so good MLB.
Not sure how I have an APR 03 date, I think that is definitely incorrect. Have only been on-board since late July. Should be a fun ride

I was wondering about the projections for the North Carolina at South Carolina game. Vegas has the O/U at 64 (roughly a 30-33). The projections only account for South Carolina scoring 2.5 touchdowns and North Carolina scoring 3 though. Is the difference in field goals, do you not agree with Vegas's take on the game, or are there some roll players you think might pop?

Edit: I just found the Thursday breakdown on the main page. No need to respond if that covers it.
Early in the season we are only projecting the top 150 WR and the top 125 RB's the reason for it is anything beyond that is pure speculation (which I typically don't like to get into the business of). There are a number of RB by committee situations these teams have as well as a number of WR that could be used.

As we move forward and roles are more defined/stats start to accumulate we will continue adding to the projections on a weekly basis so expect the list to keep growing.

Hey everyone-

Some potential topics.

Week 1 plays?

Projections questions?

Playoff teams?

Bankroll Management?

Our staff's background?

Live Final Experiences?

Not sure how I have an APR 03 date, I think that is definitely incorrect. Have only been on-board since late July. Should be a fun ride
Looks like they gave you an old unused 3 digit member #. There are some people around here who would pay good money for one of those!

Hi Devin,

Great stuff on the site. I am new to College Fantasy Football and have gone through all of your content trying to learn.

Who are some of your favorite cash game plays for the Thursday slate? What about Saturday?

I am struggling trying to identify the cash game plays vs. gpp plays. Any suggestions for narrowing the options down? I am using the interactive value chart, but that is not taking into account that I want a cash game lineup.

Thanks

I am using the interactive value chart, but that is not taking into account that I want a cash game lineup.
The interactive value chart seeks to maximize projected points, which is basically what you want in a cash game. You might want to go a little more conservative than that by specifically avoiding QB-WR combinations from the same college team, or by avoiding boom/bust players and favoring steadier players instead ... but for the most part, I believe that just maximizing projected points is the correct cash-game strategy. It's tournaments that require significant adjustments from there, rather than cash games. JMHO.

I am using the interactive value chart, but that is not taking into account that I want a cash game lineup.
The interactive value chart seeks to maximize projected points, which is basically what you want in a cash game. You might want to go a little more conservative than that by specifically avoiding QB-WR combinations from the same college team, or by avoiding boom/bust players and favoring steadier players instead ... but for the most part, I believe that just maximizing projected points is the correct cash-game strategy. It's tournaments that require significant adjustments from there, rather than cash games. JMHO.
Understood.

Using two cheap QBs for a cash game seems very risky, which is what it spits out every time if I don't manually put in a QB. I just went back to the cash game article and it suggests a Top 5 QB and also a value play. This makes some more sense to me.

I think I was looking at this more of a lineup optimizer which has the logic to make a decision like that, but based on your comments it's just pulling the highest H-value and trying to fit all of those into a lineup.

So, I am a CFB newbie this year, but hey we have some real football going on tonight so it is time to scratch the itch:

I am going to put a couple entries in single entry tourneys tonight and am wondering what the thought is on a lineup like this:

QB Thomas Sirk DUKE@TLANE $5,100 ␡
RB A.J. Ouellette OHIO@IDAHO $8,900 ␡
RB Devontae Booker MICH@UTAH $9,300 ␡
WR Dezmon Epps OHIO@IDAHO $5,900 ␡
WR James Washington OKST@CMU $6,000 ␡
WR Kolby Listenbee TCU@MINN $5,900 ␡
TE Steven Scheu WKU@VANDB $3,900

I have to admit with all of the time I spend on NFL I don't follow college very closely so I am going into this very blind.

I would say you need a stack in there somewhere. Either okst qb or vandy qb.

I don't know much cfb but would even consider a double stack with how many points that get scored

I dont know what kind of voodoo you built into that projection formula, but it nailed the UNC-USC game

Nah, it was right on Wilds. A USC back was going to break one against that defense, the projections identified both the roll and the opportunity, it just unfortantely went to the 3rd string running backs only carry in the game.

Sirk was another huge hit last night. The WKU-Vanderbilt game was not so pretty though.

How do you compare winning cash games in CFB compared to NFL? I do not know much CFB beyond the basics like the top teams, big name players, etc. There is a learning curve and only way to get better is to watch some games, watch fantasy videos and read articles.

I think the average player playing CFB might to smarter because casual fans are less likelier to just go into to CFB because information is harder to attain and CFB fantasy is not as mainstream.

Users who are viewing this thread