What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Bo Nix, DEN (2 Viewers)

He looked great today against Colorado. Ball was sharp and had great accuracy. He’s also almost the same age as Trevor Lawrence and will turn 24 this February.

I sure hope the Giants do not fall for this guy,
His best completion percentage while in the SEC – 61%
Now he is completing 78% vs the PAC-12

Is this another Zach Wilson or Mitch Trubisky situation? I read that he is constantly having to get cues from the sidelines. That isn't a good thing for complex NFL offenses. He also makes poor decisions from the pocket and has panic throws.

Is this another Zach Wilson or Mitch Trubisky situation? I read that he is constantly having to get cues from the sidelines. That isn't a good thing for complex NFL offenses. He also makes poor decisions from the pocket and has panic throws.

Okay, first of all, Wilson wasn't highly regarded until his final year at BYU which was an outlier for him in that Covid season. All told he had 28 starts. Trubisky had all of 13 starts under his belt.

Nix started 60 games in college. That's the record. That's in stark contrast to Wilson and ESPECIALLY Trubisky. This point is in arguable, so it stands.

Next, poor decisions and panic throws? HE COMPLETED 77.2% OF HIS PASSES!!!!!!!1111111 What are you even talking about? He had 40 TDs and 3 INTs this year. How on earth do you get poor decisions and panic throws from that?

Okay, first of all, Wilson wasn't highly regarded until his final year at BYU which was an outlier for him in that Covid season. All told he had 28 starts. Trubisky had all of 13 starts under his belt.

Nix started 60 games in college. That's the record. That's in stark contrast to Wilson and ESPECIALLY Trubisky. This point is in arguable, so it stands.

Next, poor decisions and panic throws? HE COMPLETED 77.2% OF HIS PASSES!!!!!!!1111111 What are you even talking about? He had 40 TDs and 3 INTs this year. How on earth do you get poor decisions and panic throws from that?
Just reading scouting report, don’t shoot the messenger. As for the Wilson and Trubisky comment, it was aimed at their current fantasy value, not a comparison of players.

Just reading scouting report, don’t shoot the messenger. As for the Wilson and Trubisky comment, it was aimed at their current fantasy value, not a comparison of players.

Did this report detail his numbers because if it didn't, seems to be a pretty weird thing to leave out. You don't complete 77% of your throws by panicking.

Neither Wilson nor Trubisky have any fantasy value. Maybe let Nix play an NFL game before reaching that same conclusion?

Did this report detail his numbers because if it didn't, seems to be a pretty weird thing to leave out. You don't complete 77% of your throws by panicking.

Neither Wilson nor Trubisky have any fantasy value. Maybe let Nix play an NFL game before reaching that same conclusion?
Sounds like Nix truther. Knock yourself out and draft him in as many leagues as you can.

Sounds like Nix truther. Knock yourself out and draft him in as many leagues as you can.

At no point have I advocated for Nix to be a first round pick in this thread, nor will I. But the facts are the facts and numbers don't lie. You came in here spewing garbage takes about him and I corrected you. Take the "L" and move on.

At no point have I advocated for Nix to be a first round pick in this thread, nor will I. But the facts are the facts and numbers don't lie. You came in here spewing garbage takes about him and I corrected you. Take the "L" and move on.
LOL, OK Francis. I don't believe he will be an elite NFL QB, but obviously we're wrong on these matters. Hell, NFL GMs can't even get it right.

LOL, OK Francis. I don't believe he will be an elite NFL QB, but obviously we're wrong on these matters. Hell, NFL GMs can't even get it right.

I agree that NFL GMs are 50/50 at best on this. The fact that Brock Purdy went from Mr. Irrelevant to the potential MVP in 2 years is mind-boggling. But I think one thing GMs (and all of us) can learn from this is that experience should matter. Purdy had 46 starts under his belt in college. This kid that's lighting it up for Cincy in the absence of Joe Burrow? 50 starts for Washington. Nix with 60 starts in the SEC/PAC12 could be a difference maker between sticking in the NFL or flaming out.

I think the comparisons to Kirk Cousin are apt. Kirk had 45 college starts and was drafted in the 4th. That's where I'd take Nix. 3rd or 4th round and let him develop. Experience matters. Pedigree matters. Intelligence matters. Nix has all of those.

If the Jets draft Nix, he will be the best QB they have drafted since Namath. A low bar, but sign me up for the Nix truther club.
He strikes me as the best IRL QB of the class.

This seems like a fair criticism of Nix who was not lighting college football on fire when playing against SEC defenders who may be more similar in talent level to NFL defenders than PAC 12 defenders, at least as a whole. I'm sure the PAC 12 has some defensive stars who will do well at the NFL level, just not as many of them as the SEC.

Nix also didn't declare as soon as he became eligible to, and why would he with the numbers he put up with Auburn. This must be seen as a negative at least compared to college QB who do declare as soon as they are eligible and do so because they have performed at a high enough level to be considered high NFL picks when they do.

That said Nix has improved a lot in the 2 seasons since transferring to Oregon and does look like a player who can start for an NFL team. A better option than a lot of the QBs who have been starting for NFL teams this season.

What scouting report?

I get it you don't like Nix although I am not sure why you don't like him.

Comparing him to Wilson and Trubiski seems like a mischarecterization as GM points out.

You know it's possible that Nix might be somewhere in between Trubiski and Peyton Manning right? No need to be so heavy handed with your opinions here.

Give us a better reason for why you think he won't be a good NFL QB than just calling him a bust or comparing him to previous busts that he does not seem similar to.

What scouting report?

I get it you don't like Nix although I am not sure why you don't like him.

Comparing him to Wilson and Trubiski seems like a mischarecterization as GM points out.

You know it's possible that Nix might be somewhere in between Trubiski and Peyton Manning right? No need to be so heavy handed with your opinions here.

Give us a better reason for why you think he won't be a good NFL QB than just calling him a bust or comparing him to previous busts that he does not seem similar to.
Not saying these scouting reports are any better than anyone else, but I remember him mostly from his Auburn days and didn't like him then. He has improved I admit, but why has he played so long in college if he's ready for the NFL? I'm not so sure Oregon is the best place to judge QBs coming into the NFL with the exception of Justin Herbert.

SCOUTING REPORT: WEAKNESSES​

• While Nix has shown growth, inconsistencies still exist. His footwork can become jittery under pressure, resulting in erratic throws not attributed to arm talent limitations.
  • His reliance on sideline cues before snaps raises questions about his ability to helm a complex NFL offense independently.
  • The transition from Auburn to Oregon brought marked improvement, but teams may be cautious about determining which facets of his game can be successfully transitioned to the NFL.
  • Nix needs to refine his game processing. He can telegraph primary reads, and his hesitancy during receiver breaks can lead to missed opportunities. This also extends to deep routes, where despite having the arm strength, he often hesitates.
  • Improvisation under pressure introduces risk. Nix's tendency to force plays or make impulsive throws increases the chance for turnovers. His in-pocket presence, especially in collapsing situations, can be erratic, leading to rushed decisions.
  • His perception of oncoming pressure is inconsistent, impacting pocket discipline. A more reliable sense of incoming threats is crucial for his professional growth.

SCOUTING REPORT: SUMMARY​

Bo Nix entered the collegiate ranks with sky-high expectations, securing the SEC Freshman of the Year in 2019 and was heralded as a five-star recruit. His tape at Auburn showcases his prototypical size and arm cannon, both key assets for the next level. Nix's footwork and mobility allow him to extend plays outside the pocket, and his arm talent, especially off-platform throws, is evident. However, his on-field IQ needs polishing. He occasionally displays sloppy mechanics and lacks pocket awareness, leading to questionable decisions under duress. Furthermore, he locks onto primary reads and struggles with progression. But, with a year of solid tape and growth in his decision-making, there's no doubt Nix can move into first-round discussions for NFL teams seeking a QB with raw, moldable talent.

He may do OK. I see a lot of Will Levis in his game. I'm a UK fan and Levis was both good and bad. His decision making wasn't good at times in college. I know Nix has that high completion percentage and everyone is hooking up their wagon to that, but IMO there is more than meets the eye with Nix, as there was with Levis.

Last edited:

I agree that NFL GMs are 50/50 at best on this. The fact that Brock Purdy went from Mr. Irrelevant to the potential MVP in 2 years is mind-boggling. But I think one thing GMs (and all of us) can learn from this is that experience should matter. Purdy had 46 starts under his belt in college. This kid that's lighting it up for Cincy in the absence of Joe Burrow? 50 starts for Washington. Nix with 60 starts in the SEC/PAC12 could be a difference maker between sticking in the NFL or flaming out.

I think the comparisons to Kirk Cousin are apt. Kirk had 45 college starts and was drafted in the 4th. That's where I'd take Nix. 3rd or 4th round and let him develop. Experience matters. Pedigree matters. Intelligence matters. Nix has all of those.

Agreed but will say you left out perhaps the biggest thing (besides talent)...what franchise and HC does he end up with...so many QBs that flame out ended up in bad situations where they never stood a chance...I have said this a 1,000 times but when you look at the history of the greatest QBs in NFL most of them played for a big time HC...where Nix ends up will have a huge influence on his future be it good or bad.

Agreed but will say you left out perhaps the biggest thing (besides talent)...what franchise and HC does he end up with...so many QBs that flame out ended up in bad situations where they never stood a chance...I have said this a 1,000 times but when you look at the history of the greatest QBs in NFL most of them played for a big time HC...where Nix ends up will have a huge influence on his future be it good or bad.
This is a good point.

Could you provide some examples?

Does the coach need to be offensive minded? I think that helps, but I think there are examples of good QBs being paired with more defensive minded coaches turning out well. For example Brady and Bill. Big Ben and Cowher.

I am not sure if Mora would be considered a big time coach?

This is a good point.

Does the coach need to be offensive minded? I think that helps, but I think there are examples of good QBs being paired with more defensive minded coaches turning out well. For example Brady and Bill. Big Ben and Cowher.

I don't think it is just whether they are offensive or defensive (I never said an offensive HC although that never hurts but that may be changing a bit in today's game) but whether they are a high-quality HC that has built a stable franchise with a good staff...while BB was a defensive guy Brady had a high-end OC in Charlie Weiss at the beginning of his career which was invaluable to his growth than had BOB and McDaniels...as for examples...here are a list of Hall-of-famers and the HC they are most closely associated with as well as one future one in Mahomes:

Otto Graham-Paul Brown
Sid Luckman-George Halas
Bart Starr-Vince Lombardi
Johnny Unitas-Webb Ewbank/Don Shula
Dan Marino-Don Shula
Terry Bradshaw-Chuck Noll
Jim Kelly-Marv Levy
Kenny Stabler-John Madden
John Elway-Dan Reeves and Mike Shanahan
Joe Montana-Bill Walsh
Troy Aikman-Jimmy Johnson
Fran Tarkenton-Bud Grant
Peyton Manning-Tony Dungy
Roger Staubach-Tom Landry
Brett Favre-Mike Holmgren
Steve Young-George Siefert
Kurt Warner-**** Vermeil
Joe Namath-Webb Ewbank
Dan Fouts-Don Coryell
Lenny Dawson-Hank Stram
Bob Griese-Don Shula
Patrick Mahomes-Any Reid

Last edited:

This is a good point.

I don't think it is just whether they are offensive or defensive (I never said an offensive HC although that never hurts but that may be changing a bit in today's game) but whether they are a high-quality HC that has built a stable franchise with a good staff...while BB was a defensive guy Brady had a high-end OC in Charlie Weiss at the beginning of his career which was invaluable to his growth than had BOB and McDaniels...as for examples...here are a list of Hall-of-famers and the HC they are most closely associated with as well as one future one in Mahomes:

Otto Graham-Paul Brown
Sid Luckman-George Halas
Dan Marino-Don Shula
Jim Kelly-Marv Levy
Joe Montana-Bill Walsh
Fran Tarkenton-Bud Grant
Kurt Warner-**** Vermeil
Joe Namath-Webb Ewbank
Dan Fouts-Don Coryell
Lenny Dawson-Hank Stram
Bob Griese-Don Shula
Patrick Mahomes-Any Reid

I appreciate the list.

I am not sure our target is HOF QB level for Nix or any rookie QB prospect? That's a pretty high bar. I think our focus should be lower than that. Competent early development that can put up numbers useful for FF? I'm not quite sure where that threshold should be.

While it makes sense to list a coach most associated with a HOF QBs career, isn't our focus more on the early development of these QBs?

Steve Young is a great example of why that's important. 1st overall pick by the Buccaneers who were a bad team. Not even sure who their coach was then without looking it up but Young did not perform well early in his career. That is how in part he became available in trade with the 49ers. The Bucs failed to develop Young.

This is a good point.

Otto Graham-Paul Brown
Sid Luckman-George Halas
Dan Marino-Don Shula
Jim Kelly-Marv Levy
Joe Montana-Bill Walsh
Fran Tarkenton-Bud Grant
Kurt Warner-**** Vermeil
Joe Namath-Webb Ewbank
Dan Fouts-Don Coryell
Lenny Dawson-Hank Stram
Bob Griese-Don Shula
Patrick Mahomes-Any Reid

I appreciate the list.

I am not sure our target is HOF QB level for Nix or any rookie QB prospect? That's a pretty high bar. I think our focus should be lower than that. Competent early development that can put up numbers useful for FF? I'm not quite sure where that threshold should be.

While it makes sense to list a coach most associated with a HOF QBs career, isn't our focus more on the early development of these QBs?

Steve Young is a great example of why that's important. 1st overall pick by the Buccaneers who were a bad team. Not even sure who their coach was then without looking it up but Young did not perform well early in his career. That is how in part he became available in trade with the 49ers. The Bucs failed to develop Young.

Feels like you are fishing around for a debate…the bottomline to me is a good franchise/HC/coaching staff is one of the most important factors in the development of a QB regardless of whether they end up in the Hall or are simply good…the earlier they get that the better their chance of success are.

This is a good point.

Otto Graham-Paul Brown
Sid Luckman-George Halas
Dan Marino-Don Shula
Jim Kelly-Marv Levy
Joe Montana-Bill Walsh
Fran Tarkenton-Bud Grant
Kurt Warner-**** Vermeil
Joe Namath-Webb Ewbank
Dan Fouts-Don Coryell
Lenny Dawson-Hank Stram
Bob Griese-Don Shula
Patrick Mahomes-Any Reid

I appreciate the list.

Feels like you are fishing around for a debate…the bottomline to me is a good franchise/HC/coaching staff is one of the most important factors in the development of a QB regardless of whether they end up in the Hall or are simply good…the earlier they get that the better their chance of success are.
I'm not looking for a debate here at all but rather wondering which current teams would be favorable for Nix or any rookie QB to be drafted in to and which ones are not?

I brought up Young because I thought he was a great example of why that is important. There's no denying Young was a great QB but he struggled early on in his career by going to a bad team that didn't support his development well.

This is a good point.

Otto Graham-Paul Brown
Sid Luckman-George Halas
Dan Marino-Don Shula
Jim Kelly-Marv Levy
Joe Montana-Bill Walsh
Fran Tarkenton-Bud Grant
Kurt Warner-**** Vermeil
Joe Namath-Webb Ewbank
Dan Fouts-Don Coryell
Lenny Dawson-Hank Stram
Bob Griese-Don Shula
Patrick Mahomes-Any Reid

I appreciate the list.

I'm not looking for a debate here at all but rather wondering which current teams would be favorable for Nix or any rookie QB to be drafted in to and which ones are not?

I brought up Young because I thought he was a great example of why that is important. There's no denying Young was a great QB but he struggled early on in his career by going to a bad team that didn't support his development well.

Plunkett is another example of a QB who was damaged early but went to a good spot and was able to turn it around.

As for Nix (and probably Penix and McCarthy…It is what it is for Caleb, Maye and probably Daniels because they will go high) I think the Rams would be a great fit…Stafford is not getting any younger…he could develop under McVay for a few years than be ready to take over…O’Connell looks like he is legit…a scenario where Cousins resigns for a couple of years while he develops would be another good situation…Seattle and Denver are two other situations with very good HC’s where he would not be thrown to the wolves before he is ready.

Last edited:

This applies at the college level as well. It's why I am ignoring Nix's struggles at Auburn. Bryan Harsin was one of the worst head coaches in recent memory.
For dynasty leagues targeting Nix 12-15 picks after Drake Maye goes is recommended, the talent gap between these two guys is much smaller than most believe.

This applies at the college level as well. It's why I am ignoring Nix's struggles at Auburn. Bryan Harsin was one of the worst head coaches in recent memory.
For dynasty leagues targeting Nix 12-15 picks after Drake Maye goes is recommended, the talent gap between these two guys is much smaller than most believe.

I think another thing that's changed is that we want immediate success for these highly rated QBs coming into college. Very little patience anymore. Nix started right away as a true freshman in the hardest conference in football. I don't think he was ready and the numbers bear that out. He undergoes a coaching change and was miserable under Harsin (who wasn't?).

He transfers, finds the right coach, finds some happiness, enjoys playing football again and guess what? He improved! Guys can get better, it happens if you let 'em and give them quality coaching. Now, not arguing against the notion that the Pac12 defenses aren't quite up to SEC standards (though this year, I think that's debatable) but the guy REALLY made some big improvements.

My hope for him is that he's a day 2 or 3 pick, is viewed as a developmental QB who can learn behind a vet and emerge when he's ready.

This seems like a fair criticism of Nix who was not lighting college football on fire when playing against SEC defenders who may be more similar in talent level to NFL defenders than PAC 12 defenders, at least as a whole. I'm sure the PAC 12 has some defensive stars who will do well at the NFL level, just not as many of them as the SEC.

Nix also didn't declare as soon as he became eligible to, and why would he with the numbers he put up with Auburn. This must be seen as a negative at least compared to college QB who do declare as soon as they are eligible and do so because they have performed at a high enough level to be considered high NFL picks when they do.

That said Nix has improved a lot in the 2 seasons since transferring to Oregon and does look like a player who can start for an NFL team. A better option than a lot of the QBs who have been starting for NFL teams this season.
His situation improved A LOT but I’m not so sure I buy that HE improved A LOT (I’m sure he improved some)
Oregon is basically the top program in a poor defensive conference. Auburn was a middle tier program in what most consider the best conference.
I think there were 6 or 7 starting QB in the PAC-12 that completed over 65% of their passes last season.

His situation improved A LOT but I’m not so sure I buy that HE improved A LOT (I’m sure he improved some)
Oregon is basically the top program in a poor defensive conference. Auburn was a middle tier program in what most consider the best conference.
I think there were 6 or 7 starting QB in the PAC-12 that completed over 65% of their passes last season.
That last sentence is telling.

Users who are viewing this thread