What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Caleb Williams, CHI (2 Viewers)

no medical?

the bears have to have some kind of safety net, do they not? like... if/when they draft him, he's REQUIRED to take a medical right?

bears have to be pooping themselves a bit... there is a legitimate chance something is wrong and being hidden, no? (again, unless of course a medical is MANDATORY prior to signing, which it has to be)

no tests, no medicals, no throwing no nothing?
Caleb Williams: The teams I visit will receive my medical information

This is crazy to me. Teams can't FORCE (or nevermind... The league doesn't MANDATE) that a medical be completed by their own doctors?

That seems absolutely wild to me

no medical?

the bears have to have some kind of safety net, do they not? like... if/when they draft him, he's REQUIRED to take a medical right?

bears have to be pooping themselves a bit... there is a legitimate chance something is wrong and being hidden, no? (again, unless of course a medical is MANDATORY prior to signing, which it has to be)

no tests, no medicals, no throwing no nothing?
Caleb Williams: The teams I visit will receive my medical information

This is crazy to me. Teams can't FORCE (or nevermind... The league doesn't MANDATE) that a medical be completed by their own doctors?

That seems absolutely wild to me
Pretty sure he's saying he's going to do medical stuff with the teams he interviews.

You think the players have one examination by league doctors?

I'm saying (unless I misunderstood) that it's crazy that the Bears can't mandate him, as their pick, to take a medical with Bears medical team (or medical team of their choosing)

I'm saying (unless I misunderstood) that it's crazy that the Bears can't mandate him, as their pick, to take a medical with Bears medical team (or medical team of their choosing)
They don't need to.

Caleb has said 32 teams aren't examining him, or getting his medicals. Only teams that have a chance to get him.

They don't need to.

Caleb has said 32 teams aren't examining him, or getting his medicals. Only teams that have a chance to get him.

Serious question - if you're putting your franchise on the shoulders of someone, are you accepting a medical report they've handed you, or would you want your own team to have a look?

Aren't all transactions "subject to a medical"? Why is it different for rookies?

Serious question - if you're putting your franchise on the shoulders of someone, are you accepting a medical report they've handed you, or would you want your own team to have a look?

Aren't all transactions "subject to a medical"? Why is it different for rookies?
You are confused. He's not limiting any info, or refusing to see CHI doctors.
He's not bothering with, or submitting to medical exams, by any team that doesn't have a shot at getting him. He's not going to Denver, or the Rams, or Dallas, or any team that has no shot to get him.

Occam's Razor says that he's not bothering because he knows where he is going.

The more I've thought about what he is doing with choosing who he takes a full medical evaulation with it's a brilliant empowering decision that is only reserved for people as comfortable being picked as high as he is can utilize.

He's not bothering with, or submitting to medical exams, by any team that doesn't have a shot at getting him. He's not going to Denver, or the Rams, or Dallas, or any team that has no shot to get him.

Then he should be submitting to no team not residing in the city of chicago

This isn't true of course, but if you need SOMETHING to hate him about, let's go with something fun

I wasn't hating on him at all, if that's how it seemed. I didn't understand the medical thing. It didnt make sense to me that a team couldn't demand one IF they drafted him.

That's all.

He's going #1 and always was. I don't think he'll be as good as ppl think in the nfl, but id gladly be wrong about him and coleman too.

Probably true. But you never know if a team offers enough to make Chicago blink.

Great post. I’m grateful for your insomnia. Given all of your thoughts about Williams, what would would be needed for you to trade to #2 or #3 and take Daniels or Maye? Or is there no way you would do that?

Thanks. To your question, the next post pretty much describes me. SoulFly said they'd be stupid not to take him. Yeah, too much upside.

The last part of my dive into Caleb was Chase Daniel's thoughts. He analyzed his worst game. Three picks in the first half at Notre Dame. Two of them were just bad. But he still found plenty to praise in that first half. Caleb looked dejected walking off the field at halftime. Chase didn't like the body language from a leadership perspective. Caleb came out in the 2nd half fired up, played extremely hard, almost got them back in the game despite his teammates letting him down repeatedly. Daniel, Waldman and his qb coach buddy all talked about the last drive; the will and playmaking it took to score in a game that was realistically over. Needed an onside kick recovery and a miracle, but there was no quit in Caleb. The TD pass made all three of them laugh. One of those Mahomesy plays. What looked like a sack turned into brilliant evasion to stay in the pocket, then being chased out to his left, and throwing some physics defying cross body wacky arm angled bullet into the tightest window. I'm paraphrasing, but all three of them think these are the types of drives and plays that separate the good from the great. His leadership, fight, and decision making being as impressive as his Mahomes impersonating td pass.

Hoge explained why Caleb isn't special but also said he's the most accurate passer he's ever evaluated. Later he took it further and said he's the most accurate passer he's ever seen. I mumbled something about Marino when I heard that. Hoge says he's not special because the NFL is so much different than the PAC 10. He claimed to have watched 16 games and concluded he doesn't hit his primary receiver enough, or quickly enough, a processing issue, and he improvises too much. Although he does so with great talent. The Air Raid offense explains why Caleb processed differently, not poorly or slowly. Matt Waldman and the qb coach on his podcast pointed out over and over again, that like Mahomes (my words here), he "fights" to stay in the pocket. I hadn't heard that description before, but it was noteworthy on the film. So I think Hoge's two criticisms are both wrong. He gets through progessions just fine. He fights to stay in the pocket, not improvise too much. His OL forced him to improvise and it isn't a bad thing that he's incredible improvising. I've known Waldman since long before he wrote for FBGs. I know he's sincere, doesn't try to be interesting or different to get attention, approaches his gig with diligence and rigor. I've never heard him gush about a QB's footwork like he did Caleb's.

Good thing it looks like he'll go #1. Otherwise he may be taking a pay cut for an NFL rookie contract.

The more I think about it the more I'm thinking why not start the rookie contract over again rather than having to make a decision to sign Fields to a long term contract. Earlier I was for keeping Fields and trading the pick for a boatload of picks, but I'm wavering on that now the more I think about it.
I'm thinking the same now. I dislike the probable return of only a 2nd round pick for Justin Fields, love how the Bears traded the 1st pick last year, and really like Marvin Harrison Jr, however I feel that Caleb Williams is great and is going to be very good to great in the NFL and should be the pick, probably by the Bears.

Williams is 6'1". Josh Allen is 6'5".

Yeah, there's a big question about Williams regarding his actual height. Mahomes is 6'2". Williams is listed at 6'1", but didn't measure. If he is really 6'1", then it shouldn't be that much of a problem. It would mean he's a touch undersized, but it's not like he's 5'10" or 5'9". That's when I really worry about guys and being able to be a pocket passer.

But that said, if you'll notice how Mahomes played this year (and I watch almost every week), he wasn't a true dropback and throw the ball type of passer. He sort of adjusted a million times in the pocket. Now, that makes him great, but I wonder if he's not having trouble with the bigger DLs that are coming from college every year. They seem to get bigger and longer each year.

Whatever the reason for that sort of adjustment in the pocket we can't know for sure, but I wouldn't be stunned if he was having a little more trouble finding passing lanes than a guy like Allen who can throw over the DLs.

Just something to think about.

The easiest comp to me is Josh Allen, but he was a much better passer than Josh Allen in college.
Allen was RAW which is the only reason he slid to #7. He was a zero star recruit, and only got his throwing motion sorted out after playing two years in the NFL then working with Palmer.

Something most of these top college recruits would have done in high school 😂

The easiest comp to me is Josh Allen, but he was a much better passer than Josh Allen in college.

Williams is 6'1". Josh Allen is 6'5". Maybe closer to Donvan McNabb who was 6'2".
Aaron Rodgers is 6-2 as well and made a lot of his hay with improvisation.

Rodgers wasn't as athletic as McNabb or Williams. Honestly, Mahomes is a good comparison to Williams.
I think young Rodgers was every bit as athletic as Mahomes is. McNabb was on a different level than either. I don't think Caleb is on McNabb's level athletically.

No one could aerate a football field like McNabb throwing those crappy balls into the ground instead of his receivers hands.

Ryan Leaf is not a fan... says Penix best prospect in the draft

Well, I'm not sure how to feel that I agree with Ryan Leaf of all people... But I've stated this as well.
Now, to be fair... I think Caleb is the best prospect coming out of college at QB, but I just think Penix will be better in the NFL. Somewhat bold, I guess... But I love Penix.

Ryan Leaf is not a fan... says Penix best prospect in the draft

Well, I'm not sure how to feel that I agree with Ryan Leaf of all people... But I've stated this as well.
Now, to be fair... I think Caleb is the best prospect coming out of college at QB, but I just think Penix will be better in the NFL. Somewhat bold, I guess... But I love Penix.
I have really liked watching Penix and I do hope he ends up a good one. He might end up a better NFL QB than a fantasy QB if that makes sense. I hope Penix falls into a good system with good weapons. MIN could use a guy like Penix - distribute the ball to the play makers and he doesn't feel like he has to do it all himself. He's a good kid who works his *** off. If he can get a good O-line and a good system I think he can be a good NFL QB.

Now without the rushing stats it could be hard for him to break into the top 10 at QB unless he's consistently putting up 300+ yards and multi TDs a game. Which is why MIN or maybe even ATL could be a good fit.

Penix could have a Cousins like career which would be considered great success. The question is how fantasy friendly will he be?

So a few things forget the one I read but saw it on Facebook. One scout had a 6th round grade of Caleb. Yes the scout had him that ranked mentioned numerous red flags. Today I saw this

Caleb Williams' father, Carl, has approached agents about receiving an ownership stake from the NFL team that drafts him.

NFL rules prohibit teams from offering current players ownership stakes as part of their contracts.

Via The Athletic reporter Kalyn Kahler.

Honestly if I’m someone like the bears do you risk bombing on QB again and taking this guy or do you go Daniels Maye or Wait till your 2nd pick in the 1st and hope JJ is there?

So a few things forget the one I read but saw it on Facebook. One scout had a 6th round grade of Caleb. Yes the scout had him that ranked mentioned numerous red flags. Today I saw this

Caleb Williams' father, Carl, has approached agents about receiving an ownership stake from the NFL team that drafts him.

NFL rules prohibit teams from offering current players ownership stakes as part of their contracts.

Via The Athletic reporter Kalyn Kahler.

Honestly if I’m someone like the bears do you risk bombing on QB again and taking this guy or do you go Daniels Maye or Wait till your 2nd pick in the 1st and hope JJ is there?
I haven't followed it that closely but I thought the rumors about him wanting an ownership stake was proved to be false - especially since there is a rule in place so it can't happen.

This is a non-factor.

One scout had a 6th round grade of Caleb.
This is just farcical.

Even if someone is down on him, he's clearly not a 6th round player. And if a condition of him being drafted is an ownership stake, then he isn't a 6th round player, he's undrafted, because it isn't even an option.

Hot take, clickbait rubbish from whoever that 'scout' is.

Taylor Lewan not a fan of combine antics. Honestly, I kinda thought the same thing...

But perhaps that was just Caleb trying to show his "funny side" and ability to be the face of a franchise in the media etc.

Hard to tell if he's a decent guy or an actual goofball. But anything other than a grade of #1 overall pick is borderline poopoo

Taylor Lewan not a fan of combine antics. Honestly, I kinda thought the same thing...

But perhaps that was just Caleb trying to show his "funny side" and ability to be the face of a franchise in the media etc.

Hard to tell if he's a decent guy or an actual goofball. But anything other than a grade of #1 overall pick is borderline poopoo
I’d honestly stay away from this guy. Way too many red flags. If I’m a bears fan I’d even be happy trading out if the 1st pick to acquire more and get OL and draft McCarthy, Maye, Daniels or one of the other QBs.

My big issue is how he showed a lack of leadership qualities and was quick to blame others. During poor performances **** body language. I think this guys going to totally bust at the next level.

I’d honestly stay away from this guy. Way too many red flags. If I’m a bears fan I’d even be happy trading out if the 1st pick to acquire more and get OL and draft McCarthy, Maye, Daniels or one of the other QBs.

My big issue is how he showed a lack of leadership qualities and was quick to blame others. During poor performances **** body language. I think this guys going to totally bust at the next level.
Agreed. Something about this guys seems like a total primadonna douchebag that nobody genuinely likes.

Last edited:

Agreed. Something about this guys seems like a total primadonna douchebag that nobody genuinely likes.
Somethings very off about him imho. I’ve seen so many prospects get this overhype he’s getting and have a similar attitude and fail.

I’m just glad my team isn’t in the position to draft this guy

Users who are viewing this thread