What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Collins to restructure or get cut? (1 Viewer)

Family Matters

Footballguy
According to Scefter, he thinks they are meeting to cut Collins. Is it possible they are looking to restructure? I keep hearing how much Davis loves Collins. I can see the need to restructure however.

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/9254468

February 21, 2006, 22:15

Raiders :: QB

QB Collins To Be Released After Meeting At Combine?

Adam Schefter, NFL Network - [Full Article]

Representatives of the Oakland Raiders and quarterback Kerry Collins are scheduled to meet in Indianapolis later this week to discuss the quarterback's future with the team. However, Adam Schefter at NFL Network is reporting that it is looking more and more likely that both sides will willingly agree to part company in the weeks to come.

I wonder why Kerry Collins might be so "willing to part company"... does he believe he has another job lined up?

I haven't seen anyone projecting a QB to the Raiders... any chance they draft Cutler?
Great question. But would Cutler go that high or would they trade down? As for them drafting a QB, I could that anyway. In fact it would make sense to keep Collins for 1-2 more years, at a reduced rate, and draft a QB and allow Collins to mentor the kid so he can retire with some dignity.I see you have Cutler going around 16 so a trade down would make sense and pick up some mid round picks and build more depth.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't seen anyone projecting a QB to the Raiders... any chance they draft Cutler?
Great question. But would Cutler go that high or would they trade down? As for them drafting a QB, I could that anyway. In fact it would make sense to keep Collins for 1-2 more years, at a reduced rate, and draft a QB and allow Collins to mentor the kid so he can retire with some dignity.I see you have Cutler going around 16 so a trade down would make sense and pick up some mid round picks and build more depth.
If the Raiders draft a QB in the 1st, it will tell us what they think of Walter an Tui. I see a verteran at the helm. Can you imagine Moss chewing out a rook on the sidelines for not throwing him the ball.Maybe Brooks or Griese?????

I could see that - they sit in a prime spot to get a defensive impact player (Hawk, Mario Williams, or Ngata) so there very well might be a team in that 8-15 range willing to move up a few spots for one of those three guys. Then, you might see Miami trying to get ahead of Oakland. I love that position jockeying during the draft - makes for some interesting viewing.

I wonder why Kerry Collins might be so "willing to part company"...  does he believe he has another job lined up?
I could see him going to Baltimore to reunite with Fassel. Collins is certainly a better option than Boller, who is sure to get some competition in any event.

The majority of teams in the market for a QB are looking for a guy who can throw deep. Collins wont have trouble finding interest. Oakland is probably in the worst cap shape of any of those teams but they also have the best receivers.

I like Brooks, McNair, and Culpepper all better due to their ability under pressure. Collins is probably the next best thing who might hit free agency for a team looking for a deep game. Of course none of them have hit the market yet.

I like Brooks, McNair, and Culpepper all better due to their ability under pressure.
That's probably the biggest knock against Brooks, and why he'll be looking for another job soon.

If the Raiders draft a QB in the 1st, it will tell us what they think of Walter an Tui. I see a verteran at the helm. Can you imagine Moss chewing out a rook on the sidelines for not throwing him the ball.Maybe Brooks or Griese?????
Don't rule out the Raiders moving up to get Leinart.

Seems to be a running theme this offseason...Collins, Pennington, Brooks, Brees, Culpepper, McNair; all allegedly on the market in some way, shape or form.

Seems to be a running theme this offseason...Collins, Pennington, Brooks, Brees, Culpepper, McNair; all allegedly on the market in some way, shape or form.
And all seem to be possibilities in Miami.....

Collins to Detroit and "Da Raaiders" get Brees or Culpepper once Minne get Oakland's second rounder. Ya heard it here first.
From what I'm reading - Harrington just got a vote of confidence from the Detroit staff (who already have a backup in Garcia and a guy they'd like to develop in Orlovsky)Brees to the Raiders? This could happen. I don't see Culpepper going anywhere, and if he does, it's likely to be Miami.

Don't rule out the Raiders moving up to get Leinart.
Davis only goes with veteran QBs though

I think the team to watch is the Jets at #4, as they have rumered interest in Cutler. The Lions are also a possibility. I don't see Cutler going that late (16). In fact I wouldn't be totally shocked if Cutler goes before Young? I think alot depends on what happens with Brees? All just my opinion of course :D I love this time of year! A lot of :bs: (smoke blowing) going on.The Brees Ripple Effect LINK

RW

I think the team to watch is the Jets at #4, as they have rumered interest in Cutler. The Lions are also a possibility. I don't see Cutler going that late (16). In fact I wouldn't be totally shocked if Cutler goes before Young? I think alot depends on what happens with Brees? All just my opinion of course :D I love this time of year! A lot of :bs: (smoke blowing) going on.The Brees Ripple Effect LINK

RW
You're right about alot of smoke blowing. This is the worst time of year for it, right before the draft. Teams pretend to be interested in another player when in reality they are masking who they really want. That's why it's up to us to weed through the junk and get to the real news. Thanks god for FBG's! :D Seriously.

Collins to Detroit and "Da Raaiders" get Brees or Culpepper once Minne get Oakland's second rounder.  Ya heard it here first.
...and last.
Collins in Martz's offense?Honestly I was going to say no way at first, but really, that might work.
That's what I'm thinking.... if you gave him an extra half-second in the pocket, he's a very good passer. The problem with him in Oakland was that he simply didn't have the protection, and we all know he's not a very mobile QB or capable of adjusting under pressure.At that though, I really like him to Baltimore, as has been the pop pick of late.

I can't see the Raiders doing anything more than bringing in a veteran to start or Back up Walter should he not be ready to start. I think that if they drafted Tui and Walter and it's still early, that a new coach and a new system would take a season to really find out what you've got in the two of them, and it would be VERY hard justifying a first-round pick on a QB with the talent they have there.

Collins to Baltimore would be a very solid option, not because he would be an upgrade over Boller (I think Boller is much more talented and capable of leading a team), but that it will help push Boller to be the QB he is capable of, and that can mean just as much. Plus there is very little depth at QB anyway, and if Billick and/or Fassel can sell Collins on the idea that he can seriously compete for the starting job (and that it's not just handed to Boller), then he will be inclined to sign there. Isn't that one of the main reasons why he opted to go to the Raiders before in the first place? Didn't Billick tell him that he'd only be a backup?

Just some thoughts to :boxing:

I wonder why Kerry Collins might be so "willing to part company"... does he believe he has another job lined up?
I could see him going to Baltimore to reunite with Fassel. Collins is certainly a better option than Boller, who is sure to get some competition in any event.
Collins' first three years in the league (41 games):52.5% completions, 7295 yards (180 per game), 39 passing TD, 49 INT

Boller's first three years (36 games):

55.6% completions, 5618 yards (156 per game), 31 passing TD, 32 INT

There's no reason for the Ravens to bring in an old, known mediocre QB to compete with their young, up-and-coming QB. If they bring him in, the competition will be for show, and Collins will just be insurance for not having to start Anthony Wright again.

to compete with their young, up-and-coming QB. 
He's been a "young up n comer" for "forever". I think this is the reason to bring in Collins. I think the Ravens have just "had enough" of Boller and at times they're putting on the proper show. I wouldn't be surprised if he's playing elsewhere or firmly entrenched on the sidelines come September.

I saw the following blurb over at USA Today . . .

Kerry Collins - QB - Raiders NFL Network's Adam Shefter reports that Kerry Collins doesn't want to remain in Oakland. Well, that changes things. Collins was thought to be willing to take a paycut to stay, but it looks like the Raiders will be forced to release him. Baltimore, New Orleans, and Detroit could be three teams to show interest.Feb. 21 - 9:06 p.m. ET
That makes little sense to me, as if Collins was willing to take a pay cut why wouldn't the Raiders want him? Similarly, does Collins think he is a lock to be a starter someplace else?

to compete with their young, up-and-coming QB.
He's been a "young up n comer" for "forever". I think this is the reason to bring in Collins. I think the Ravens have just "had enough" of Boller and at times they're putting on the proper show. I wouldn't be surprised if he's playing elsewhere or firmly entrenched on the sidelines come September.
He has been in the league for three years, has improved every year, and has a winning record as a starter. His third year in the league was far better than Collins' third year in the league; Collins had 11 TDs and 21 INTs in his third year while completing just 52.5% of his passes and going 2-6 as a starter. To give up on Boller now in favor of someone you know is not the answer to anything would be absurdly foolish. At least you can make the point that if the Ravens can get Culpepper, a QB who is a real difference-maker, they maybe should do that. But Collins? A mediocre journeyman who has never thrown more than 22 TDs, with a career 173 to 166 TD to INT ratio, and higher completion percentage than 2005 Kyle Boller only twice in his 12-year career? It makes no sense at all.

Kerry Collins - QB - Raiders 

NFL Network's Adam Shefter reports that Kerry Collins doesn't want to remain in Oakland.

Well, that changes things. Collins was thought to be willing to take a paycut to stay, but it looks like the Raiders will be forced to release him. Baltimore, New Orleans, and Detroit could be three teams to show interest.

Feb. 21 - 9:06 p.m. ET
That makes little sense to me, as if Collins was willing to take a pay cut why wouldn't the Raiders want him? Similarly, does Collins think he is a lock to be a starter someplace else?
Maybe with Fassel. Fassel was possibly leaving and then IIRC the Ravens hired his son or cousin or somesuch. I took it as if they were appeasing him. I wonder if he'd ask for Collins too.

NFL Network's Adam Shefter reports that Kerry Collins doesn't want to remain in Oakland.

Well, that changes things. Collins was thought to be willing to take a paycut to stay, but it looks like the Raiders will be forced to release him. Baltimore, New Orleans, and Detroit could be three teams to show interest.

Cant speak for how he feels, but he should feel that way.

David-I attached the Schefter article in my original post. Clearly it's speculation on Adam's part. Phrases like "It sounds as if" and "to try to determine each party's plans" and "It looks like". So clearly this is Adam's perspective.It's been reproted before that Al is a big Collins fan and wants to keep Collins. Also, when this deal was done a couple of years ago, it was well known then that this deal would have to be redone this year so it's no big surprise. Some media response makes it seem like they didn't see this coming.

Users who are viewing this thread