What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Computer Guys : Setting up Dual Computer (PC + MAC) / Dual Monitor System (1 Viewer)

[icon]

Insoxicated
What's up guys! 

Issue: 

• Office issued Thinkpad is now being more tightly monitored.
  • I do a bit of personal (PG) browsing as well as side design work on it currently. That should probably stop now. 
Solution (I think?)

• I've ordered a new MacbookAir M1 Laptop
  • Want to set up a KVM switch so I can hot switch between Office Thinkpad and Personal MacBook Air on the same two HP E271i Displays & Logitech Mouse/Keyboard. 
Questions:

1. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good KVM switch that will handle both of these machines? 
  2. Macbook Air M1 has a single USBC output that doesn't support Dual Displays (Currently) but that is fixed with a Hyperdrive adapter
  3. Does the USB Plug for the Keyboard/Mouse go into the KVM switch? I'm not sure how it would work with the two machines otherwise, but would that would work with the above Hyperdrive dual display adapter?

Thanks in advance! 

How automated do you want it ?

Meaning are you looking for something for just the peripheral and you will use input 1 and input 2 on your monitor? Or do you want it to handle everything ?

You can get a basic KVM USB to handle the peripheral and switch PC.   You would be a Type C to USB cable for the MAC.  You then would manually switch inputs to the monitor 

That runs about 20 bucks. If you want something to switch everything they are more expensive

Meaning are you looking for something for just the peripheral and you will use input 1 and input 2 on your monitor? Or do you want it to handle everything ?

You can get a basic KVM USB to handle the peripheral and switch PC.   You would be a Type C to USB cable for the MAC.  You then would manually switch inputs to the monitor 

That runs about 20 bucks. If you want something to switch everything they are more expensive
I was hoping for a KVM that is one button tap to switch computers with the same monitors/keyboard/mouse. 

That said, it seems to be a wormhole to get dual display (via hacked setup above) on the M1 Mac, then have it all be KVM switchable. 

May just make more sense to get a dedicated Mac Mouse/Keyboard, then run a simple HDMI switcher on my main monitor, and run the mac on a stand next to it... with the Mac display as the second monitor. Would have to switch keyboard/mouse based on system, but that's not the end of the world (would not be swapping back and forth all day). Hell.. they sell Bluetooth keyboards that pair/switch between 3 devices so it MAY be as simple as that, and just change mice between machines. 

That way, I'd just be looking at $30 HDML switch + ~$100 for Mac keyboard/mouse...... vs $200 dual screen adapter + $100 KVM switch + Rabbit hole of compatibility issues. 

Hrm. 

Last edited by a moderator:
M1 Mac + PC - check 
KVM - check
Dual monitors - check 

I'm not an expert on Apple products but I kinda feel like this 10 minute video covers everything you need, mostly. . . although it's a pc instead of a laptop but it's pretty close to your situation :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsfzitB9AwA

Last edited by a moderator:
M1 Mac + PC - check 
KVM - check
Dual monitors - check 

I'm not an expert on Apple products but I kinda feel like this 10 minute video covers everything you need, mostly. . . although it's a pc instead of a laptop but it's pretty close to your situation :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsfzitB9AwA

That is slick!

Looks like it requires a displayport hub which isn't cheap, but overall it seems like the most "Seamless" way to do this. :thumbup:  

I'm going to try the "cheap" route using the Macboook screen + single switched monitor + switched bluetooth keyboard + dedicated mouse first. I'm all in around $100 with cables, keyboard, and switch here... and see how I like it. If it's lacking I'll likely go this route. 

Thank you! :banned:  

I used to use the fancy KVMs that share the monitor as well as the USB ports for keyboard/mouse and to be honest, they are more trouble than they are worth.

Over the pandemic, I've switch both my home and my work to just simple USB sharing for the keyboard/mouse and then I just switch inputs on my monitor(s) as needed.  Much simpler, cheaper, and less prone to issues IMHO.

This is the one I'm using.

Users who are viewing this thread