What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Courtland Sutton (Keep or Drop?) (1 Viewer)

SquashBug

Footballguy
Okay.  Since NONE of the so-called "Experts" are talking about it the question I have is whether to keep Courtland Sutton on my roster or not.  I ask because Jeudy went down with an injury but even so it looked like the Denver coaching staff was still concerned about Sutton's injury from last season and as a result he got me a whopping 1.9 points on just 3 targets.  So, is he healthy or not?  Nobody seems to know.  Is he worth keeping because of Jeudy's injury?  Again, all of the "Experts" seem to have a blind spot when it comes to this as well.  I have other good receivers (CeeDee Lamb, DJ Moore, C. Claypool and Corey Davis) that I can play but I listened to the "Experts" who told me to draft Sutton as well---even though he was of negligible value to my team last year.  Making my problem even worse is the fact that I listened to the "Experts" who said to stream defenses this season so on their advice I played the Atlanta Defense.  {sigh}  I really need better advice.  Regardless, there are some holes in my team I need to fill and I need to know if Sutton is worth stashing or not.  Thanks.

It kind of depends who you are dropping him for. If there is a better player on the waiver wire, do it. If there isn't, don't

I'd say stash for emergencies and wouldn't jump too much on cutting him loose. Rapport between he and Teddy could get better and he'll be productive. 

It kind of depends who you are dropping him for. If there is a better player on the waiver wire, do it. If there isn't, don't
And therein lies the problem--is this guy any good?  Last year he was completely useless (due to a serious injury) and I'm not sure he's completely recovered.  Likewise, it would have helped if the QB had thrown to him more than 3 times but as it is there are some serious questions here.  Obviously, the one thing I don't want to do is to drop him and then find out he's the beneficiary of Jeudy's injury and suddenly gets 15 targets every game.  And THAT is where the Experts have really dropped the ball here.  They won't say if he's fully recovered...or if he's unable to find separation because of good CB coverage...or if he's lost a step...or if he seems hesitant to make quick turns...or if it's a question of timing with the QB...or how Jeudy's injury equates into this situation...NOTHING!  So yes, there are some players I could pick up that could fill a hole in my lineup down the road and if I don't act quickly they may be gone.  But are they of more value than Sutton at this moment?  I don't know.  Anyway, thanks for your input as it's certainly more than anything the Experts are offering.       

Well everyone on FBG message boards are "experts" too so since you seem to hate "experts" opinions why are you asking here?  hahahahhahaa

Maybe you can't get any of that info from the "experts" because nobody knows for sure.  Bottom line we can't comment on whether or not you should drop him because that question needs context.  Who are you dropping him for? 

On the face I wouldn't drop him just to drop him.  It's one game.  I would like to see a few games (especially with no Jeudy ) to see how/if things change.  

Well everyone on FBG message boards are "experts" too so since you seem to hate "experts" opinions why are you asking here?  hahahahhahaa

Maybe you can't get any of that info from the "experts" because nobody knows for sure.  Bottom line we can't comment on whether or not you should drop him because that question needs context.  Who are you dropping him for? 

On the face I wouldn't drop him just to drop him.  It's one game.  I would like to see a few games (especially with no Jeudy ) to see how/if things change.  

First of all, I don't "hate" anybody and when I talk of "Experts" it's in the context of those who are generally paid for their contributions.  Be that as it may, here is what I am talking about: 

"Advice: Sutton was a non-factor in his first game since last year's torn ACL. That wasn't a huge surprise with the Broncos managing his snaps. The Broncos lost Jerry Jeudy to a high-ankle sprain, potentially opening up more looks for Sutton. With Jeudy out, Denver may play Sutton closer to an every-down role in Week 2."  [Yahoo dtd 14 Sep 2021]

Now, as you can see the Broncos are apparently "managing his snaps."  Begging the question, WHY?  Is he having problems recovering from his surgery?  If that question goes unanswered then everything is up in the air and it's no use talking about whether he will get more targets next week or the week after next as it's obvious that things won't change until he gets healthy.  Further, your statement that I need to list who I might be dropping him for is also problematic because it no use making a decision before I get the facts about whether Sutton is 100% or 50% or whatever.  Now, if it helps I can add that I had planned on going with 2 defenses this season and alternating them based on which one had the better matchup.  But I scrapped that plan when Gus Edwards went down and went with the advice to stream defenses thereby allowing me to drop both of them and pick up Latavious Murray and the Atlanta Defense (recommended by the Experts).  It was a gamble and I took it.  Such is life.  So, while I'm willing to wait and see about L. Murray one thing is for sure--I need to drop the Atlanta Defense and pick a better one for next week.  I'm also considering possibly picking up BOTH of the defenses I just dropped (New Orleans & Seattle) and to do that I need to drop another player--hence why this Sutton issue is so important for me.  So I really need some information before I make this decision and the lack of it has me frustrated.  For example, here's an articles that addresses Jeudy's injury:

https://www.footballguys.com/article/2021-nfl-injury-rounds-monday-week2

Notice it doesn't say whether Sutton will benefit by it or not.  So it's useless.  Likewise, there is this article on who to pick up or drop:

https://www.footballguys.com/article/2021-waivers-of-the-future-week-2

Again, it mentions a lot of players who underperformed but not Sutton--and I don't know how 1.9 points isn't somehow mentioned in that category.  Of course, it could be that it was just an outlier.  Maybe.  But there you have it. 

Now, I didn't see the game in question so I don't know whether he actually ran crisp routes or whether he suffered from good defensive coverage, etc.  Perhaps there are some on these boards who can fill in that question.  That being said, it doesn't seem like you have the answers that I need at this time but perhaps others who saw the game or have access to better data than you can help me out.  In any case, I appreciate your taking the time to respond.

You do know this is for fun and that nobody really knows anything right?   It is all a crapshoot and you do the best you can with the information you can find/figure out by watching etc.  

I have never been the kind to rely on experts by themselves.  I take whatever info I can get and then make my own judgements so your seemingly reliance/blame on "experts" is silly to me.  They really don't know anything more than anybody else.  It's all a crapshoot.  Experts saying Sutton "may have been on a snap count" is because he is coming off an ACL tear.  It's common for teams to ease players back into action (look at Beckham - he was inactive for a similar reason).  The "why" is really irrelevant for the most part.  He is playing and from what I saw looked fine in game action.  There wasn't anything noticeably wrong with him.  He just wasn't a big part of the game plan.  It happens.  

As for what to do with Sutton, I wouldn't drop him for a second defense after one week.  Defenses are easy to get and it's too early to really know who is good or who is bad.  Sutton has a lot more upside than any defense so I would keep him and see what develops.  Again, it's only been one week.  

I'd love to have Sutton on my roster at this point with Pittman Jr & Aiyuk doing so poorly in week 1. The upside is there and as stated, it's a gamble but it's one I'd take. Bridgewater is a decent QB and will get him the ball. 

I think the lack of analysis here is due to Sutton having a new QB; one who had a down season in Carolina after being successful (with a much better system & coach) in NO. So the hesitance may be based on lack of data. 

Users who are viewing this thread