What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dallas' rookie class (1 Viewer)

Bri

Footballguy
where would you rank their first year players? IE drafted and undrafted players, amongst the best all time drafts for teams

1996 Ravens: Rd Sel# Player Pos. School 1 4 Jonathan Ogden T UCLA 1 26 Ray Lewis ILB Miami 2 55 DeRon Jenkins CB Tennessee 5 153 Jermaine Lewis WR Maryland 6 172 Dexter Daniels LB Florida 6 186 James Roe WR Norfolk State 7 238 Jon Stark QB Trinity, Ill. Certainly not the depth of this year's Cowboys' class, but with 2 first ballot hall of famers, who needs depth?Jermaine Lewis was a Pro Bowl kick returner and a key member of the 2001 Super Bowl Champs.DeRon Jenkins was a 7 year veteran and started 50 of 93 career games.

Fine...here's the best draft ever. 1974 Pittsburgh Steelers...1. Lynn Swann2. Jack LambertNo 3rd rounder4. John Stallworth5. Mike WebsterDonnie Shell and Randy Grossman, both starters, free agents.I think that 4 Hall of Famers in one draft class would be considered the best ever...

Fine...here's the best draft ever. 1974 Pittsburgh Steelers...

1. Lynn Swann

2. Jack Lambert

No 3rd rounder

4. John Stallworth

5. Mike Webster

Donnie Shell and Randy Grossman, both starters, free agents.

I think that 4 Hall of Famers in one draft class would be considered the best ever...
Touche'

DallasRd Sel# Player Pos. Ht. Wt. School1 11 Ware, Demarcus DE 6-4 247 Troy State1 20 Spears, Marcus DE 6-4 298 Louisiana State2 42 Burnett, Kevin OLB 6-3 237 Tennessee4 109 Barber, Marion RB 5-11 221 Minnesota4 132 Canty, Chris DE 6-7 286 Virginia6 208 Beriault, Justin FS 6-2 199 Ball State6 209 Petitti, Rob OT 6-6 347 Pittsburgh7 224 Ratliff, Jeremiah 'Jay' DE 6-3 293 AuburnThree rookie starters (Ware, Spears, Petitti), a RB who has filled in well and two solid backup players (Burnett and Canty). :thumbup:

1. Lynn Swann

2. Jack Lambert

No 3rd rounder

4. John Stallworth

5. Mike Webster

I think that 4 Hall of Famers in one draft class would be considered the best ever...
The most shocking part of that draft class is the Steelers were already a playoff team. No wonder they won 4 SB's in 6 years after that.

Fine...here's the best draft ever.  1974 Pittsburgh Steelers...

1. Lynn Swann

2. Jack Lambert

No 3rd rounder

4. John Stallworth

5. Mike Webster

:goodposting: That would be my choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dallas

Rd Sel# Player Pos. Ht. Wt. School

1 11 Ware, Demarcus DE 6-4 247 Troy State

1 20 Spears, Marcus DE 6-4 298 Louisiana State

2 42 Burnett, Kevin OLB 6-3 237 Tennessee

4 109 Barber, Marion RB 5-11 221 Minnesota

4 132 Canty, Chris DE 6-7 286 Virginia

6 208 Beriault, Justin FS 6-2 199 Ball State

6 209 Petitti, Rob OT 6-6 347 Pittsburgh

7 224 Ratliff, Jeremiah 'Jay' DE 6-3 293 Auburn

Three rookie starters (Ware, Spears, Petitti), a RB who has filled in well and two solid backup players (Burnett and Canty). :thumbup:
polite a rook?Tyson Thompson

Thomas Johnson

Some K they liked and put on IR rather than cut

long snapper's a rook

1. Lynn Swann

2. Jack Lambert

No 3rd rounder

4. John Stallworth

5. Mike Webster

:goodposting: That would be my choice.
that's pretty incredible, wow

Dallas had a very solid draft. For needing help on the D-line and at LB, as it looks now they just about mastered it. Could go down as one of the best, we'll see...Not one of the best, but I am still a big fan of Philly's 2002 draft. Lito Sheppard in the 1st, Michael Lewis and Sheldon Brown in the 2nd, and Westbrook in the 3rd. Not too bad.Although nothing compares to Green Bay's 1989 draft. Not when Chris Jacke might be the highlight of it. :bag:

i'd say the 49ers 1986 draft has to be in the competition...AND THEY DIDN'T HAVE A 1ST ROUND PICK2.12 Larry Roberts DE Alabama 3.1 Tom Rathman RB Nebraska 3.9 Tim McKyer DB Texas-Arlington 3.21 John Taylor WR Delaware State 4.14 Charles Haley DE James Madison 4.19 Steve Wallace T Auburn 4.20 Kevin Fagan DT Miami (FL)5.21 Patrick Miller LB Florida 6.24 Don Griffin DB Middle Tennessee Stateedit to add: and the year before they took jerry rice in the 1st

Last edited:
Dallas

Rd Sel# Player Pos. Ht. Wt. School

1 11 Ware, Demarcus DE 6-4 247 Troy State

1 20 Spears, Marcus DE 6-4 298 Louisiana State

2 42 Burnett, Kevin OLB 6-3 237 Tennessee

4 109 Barber, Marion RB 5-11 221 Minnesota

4 132 Canty, Chris DE 6-7 286 Virginia

6 208 Beriault, Justin FS 6-2 199 Ball State

6 209 Petitti, Rob OT 6-6 347 Pittsburgh

7 224 Ratliff, Jeremiah 'Jay' DE 6-3 293 Auburn

Three rookie starters (Ware, Spears, Petitti), a RB who has filled in well and two solid backup players (Burnett and Canty). :thumbup:
polite a rook?Tyson Thompson

Thomas Johnson

Some K they liked and put on IR rather than cut

long snapper's a rook
Polite's 2nd year. The defense is still extremely young and Glover is the only starter who has been in the league over 5 years.

1 Ty Law 23 CB Michigan 2 Ted Johnson 57 LB Colorado 3a Curtis Martin 74 RB Pittsburgh (from Eagles in compensation for FB Kevin Turner) 3b Jimmy Hitchcock 88 CB North Carolina 4a Dave Wohlabaugh 112 C Syracuse (from Kansas City for Patriots 1996 third round pick.) 6 Dino Philyaw 195 RB Oregon 7 Carlos Yancy 234 CB Georgia (from Cleveland in exchange for the Patriots 231st selection) Ty Law - Borderline Hall of FamerTed Johnson - Starting LB on 3 SB teamsCurtis Martin - Hall of FamerJimmy Hitchcock - Starting CB for awhileDave Wohlabaugh - Starting center from day 1. Signed with Cleveland as a free agent after a few years.Certainly not as good as Pittsburghs but top notch none the less.

Steelers 1974 is the standard, which will probably never be beat.A few that warrant mentioning:1999 RedskinsRd Sel# Player Pos. School1 7 Champ Bailey CB Georgia2 37 Jon Jansen T Michigan4 107 Nate Stimson LB Georgia Tech5 165 Derek Smith T Virginia Tech6 181 Jeff Hall K Tennessee7 217 Tim Alexander WR Oregon State1993 Chiefs - I don't care about the rest, you get Shields in the 3rd, you win.Rd Sel# Player Pos. School3 74 Will Shields G Nebraska 2000 JetsRd Sel# Player Pos. School1 12 Shaun Ellis DE Tennessee1 13 John Abraham DE South Carolina1 18 Chad Pennington QB Marshall1 27 Anthony Becht TE West Virginia3 78 Laveranues Coles WR Florida State5 143 Windrell Hayes WR Southern California6 179 Tony Scott CB North Carolina State7 218 Richard Seals DT Utah

1. Lynn Swann

2. Jack Lambert

No 3rd rounder

4. John Stallworth

5. Mike Webster

great posting :towelwave: best draft ever and i can guarantee it'll never be topped.

1. Lynn Swann

2. Jack Lambert

No 3rd rounder

4. John Stallworth

5. Mike Webster

IIRC, no other team had more than 2 HOFers taken in the same draft year.

now, if the Cowboys can draft a couple of o-line starters this year plus a QB for the future, they would be set for a few years. :excited: fat chance Parcells drafts a QB though :wall: _______________________________________Canty could end up being the steal of this draft class :bye: Spears hasn't really been able to show what he has yet because of nagging injurieshopefully Beriault recovers to become the starting FS next year, that would fill the biggest hole on D

Yep, the 74 Steelers is the best. The 49ers had a couple great ones too.Its really too early to judge the Cowboy draft class. Give it five years. But it does look to be extremely prolific. Ware and Spears are starters and have very high upside.Canty has been mentioned for pro bowl consideration in his rookie season. And he doesnt even start normally. He may have the highest upside of them all.Barber appears to be a nice solid pro RB. Probably will never be an all pro, but a guy who knows how to play and makes everyone better.Petitti is a rookie starter at RT. He has struggled, no doubt. Can he develop into a solid pro? We will see. I would not bet against that happening.Ratliff was in the Dline rotation as a rookie and appears to have some passrush skills. Getting a "nickle" DT in the 7th is a nice catch.Beriault is on IR. He was playing very well in camp. Reminds a lot of long time special teamer Bill Bates. Playing behind Roy Williams, not sure how much time he will get. But lets see.Three free agents appear to be keepers as well. Amazing. Tyson Thompson; "Little Pepper" Johnson, a Dlineman; and deep snapper Loudaceur. The later should be around for a long time. A great find.The jury is still out on second round pick Kevin Burnett. He has struggled to get on the field this year. He has been playing OLB but Parcells has said that he might be better off inside. With Dat likely retiring, don't be surprised to see him move inside next year. He might develop. It sometimes takes guys three years. We'll see.Parcells has said that a 50/50 hit rate on draft picks is pretty good. So for Dallas to have only 1 or 2 question marks, and 3 free agents, is truly remarkable. As a Cowboy fan, I am really looking forward to watching this class over the next several years. This was the first draft class wherein Jeff Ireland was head of scouting. Before, Larry Lacewell was in charge. Parcells also was much more involved in evaluating the draft pool this past year. If this is any indication of Ireland and Parcells' combined evaluating skill, I can't wait for a couple more classes. :yes:

1993 Chiefs - I don't care about the rest, you get Shields in the 3rd, you win.Rd Sel# Player Pos. School3 74 Will Shields G Nebraska
That's even more absurd than the original post. Brady in the 6th trumps this pick. And as great of a pick as that was, I'm sure we could come up with dozens of examples of guys who were even better draft picks than Will Shields in the 3rd. Come on.

1993 Chiefs - I don't care about the rest, you get Shields in the 3rd, you win.

Rd Sel# Player Pos. School

3 74 Will Shields G Nebraska
That's even more absurd than the original post. Brady in the 6th trumps this pick. And as great of a pick as that was, I'm sure we could come up with dozens of examples of guys who were even better draft picks than Will Shields in the 3rd. Come on.
For example, Terrell Davis and Terrell Owens were both taken in the 3rd or later, IIRC...

The Dallas draft class of this past year isn't squat when considered with some of those posted, not to mention the best by the Bears:1965 1 1 3 3 **** Butkus LB Illinois 2 1 4 4 Gale Sayers RB Kansas 3 1 6 6 Steve Delong T Tennessee 4 4 3 45 Jim Nance RB Syracuse 5 6 3 73 Tony Carey RB Notre Dame 6 7 4 88 **** Gordon RB Michigan State 7 7 6 90 Mickey Sutton B Auburn 8 8 3 101 Brian Schweda T Kansas 9 9 4 116 Ken Ambrusko B Maryland 10 10 3 129 Dennis Murphy T Florida 11 11 4 144 Frank Cornish T Grambling 12 12 3 157 Steve Cox T South Carolina 13 13 4 172 Dave Daniels T Florida A&M 14 14 3 185 Dave Pivec WR Notre Dame 15 15 4 200 Art Robinson B Cal State-Los Angeles 16 16 3 213 Frank Pitts WR Southern 17 17 4 228 Tom LaFramboise QB Louisville 18 18 3 241 Mike Schwager T Northwestern 19 19 4 256 Lou Bobich K Michigan State 20 20 3 269 Ralph Kurek RB Wisconsinand the '83 class which provided seven Super Bowl Starters two years later1 6 6 Jimbo Covert T Pittsburgh <<<<2 1 18 18 Willie Gualt WR Tennessee <<<<3 2 5 33 Mike Richardson DB Arizona State <<<<4 3 8 64 Dave Duerson DB Notre Dame <<<<5 4 7 91 Tom Thayer C Notre Dame <<<<6 4 23 107 Pat Dunsmore TE Drake7 8 7 203 Richard Dent DE Tennessee State <<<<8 8 23 219 Mark Bortz G Iowa <<<<9 9 6 230 Rob Fada G Pittsburgh10 9 11 235 Mark Zavagnin LB Notre Dame11 10 5 256 Anthony Hutchison RB Texas Tech12 11 7 286 Gary Worthy RB Wilmington (OH)13 12 6 313 Oliver Williams WR IllinoisI still say that Steelers class with Lambert takes the cake.

1985 Buffalo BillsBuffalo Bills Rd Sel# Player Pos. School 1 1 Bruce Smith DE Virginia Tech 1 14 Derrick Burroughs CB Memphis 2 29 Mark Traynowicz C Nebraska 2 42 Chris Burkett WR Jackson State 3 57 Frank Reich QB Maryland 3 63 Hal Garner OLB Utah State 4 86 Andre Reed WR Kutztown, Pa. 4 112 Dale Hellestrae C Southern Methodist This draft was key to the Bills early 90's Superbowl runs.

1. Lynn Swann

2. Jack Lambert

No 3rd rounder

4. John Stallworth

5. Mike Webster

:hijack:And to be honest, the Steelers should only have 2 from that draft class as well. Neither Stallworth nor Swann has any business being in the HOF without a ticket.

:/hijack:

I'd agree that draft is hard to beat.

1. Lynn Swann

2. Jack Lambert

No 3rd rounder

4. John Stallworth

5. Mike Webster

that's the one I was going to quote, no comparison

The Dallas draft class of this past year isn't squat when considered with some of those posted, not to mention the best by the Bears:1965 1 1 3 3 **** Butkus LB Illinois 2 1 4 4 Gale Sayers RB Kansas 3 1 6 6 Steve Delong T Tennessee 4 4 3 45 Jim Nance RB Syracuse
:shock: Wow. Definitely better than any other draft posted so far. :goodposting:

1. Lynn Swann

2. Jack Lambert

No 3rd rounder

4. John Stallworth

5. Mike Webster

I've always liked this story:"I remember his first day at training camp his rookie year," said Rooney Jr., the Steelers' personnel chief at the time and an architect of their '70s dynasty. "Chuck Noll matched him against Lambert in the old Oklahoma drill. The first time, Webby knocked Lambert on his can. They did it again, and he knocked him down a second time. [Long-time Pittsburgh newspaper man] Phil Musick came over to me and said something to the effect of, 'Where did you find this stiff Lambert at?'

As ff experts people should know it's easier to draft studs in a 10 team league vs. a 14 team league. Less teams in the 60s = more studs per draft.

1 Ty Law 23 CB Michigan

2 Ted Johnson 57 LB Colorado

3a Curtis Martin 74 RB Pittsburgh (from Eagles in compensation for FB Kevin Turner)

3b Jimmy Hitchcock 88 CB North Carolina

4a Dave Wohlabaugh 112 C Syracuse (from Kansas City for Patriots 1996 third round pick.)

6 Dino Philyaw 195 RB Oregon

7 Carlos Yancy 234 CB Georgia (from Cleveland in exchange for the Patriots 231st selection)

Ty Law - Borderline Hall of Famer

Ted Johnson - Starting LB on 3 SB teams

Curtis Martin - Hall of Famer

Jimmy Hitchcock - Starting CB for awhile

Dave Wohlabaugh - Starting center from day 1. Signed with Cleveland as a free agent after a few years.

Certainly not as good as Pittsburghs but top notch none the less.
:yawn:

1993 Chiefs - I don't care about the rest, you get Shields in the 3rd, you win.

Rd Sel# Player Pos. School

3 74 Will Shields G Nebraska
Also throw in that KC used their #1 pick to trade for Joe Montana in that draft.1996 KC is pretty good also

Donnie Edwards

Jerome Woods

Reggie Tongue

Joe Horn

1. Lynn Swann

2. Jack Lambert

No 3rd rounder

4. John Stallworth

5. Mike Webster

And they drafted HOFers in the 1969 (Joe Greene), 1970 (Terry Bradshaw & Mel Blount), 1971 (Jack Ham) and 1972 (Franco Harris) drafts as well. Whoever that player personnel director is, he deserves enshrinement as well. That's about a great a drafting period as there has ever been in professional sports.I'm sorry, saying the '05 Dallas draft as best ever is a little near-sighted. :nerd:

The 1958 Packers draft may rank highly too:2.02...Jim Taylor3.11....Ray Nitschke

1979 Redskins:4.21: Don Warren7.17: Rich Milot11.14: Monte Coleman1980 Redskins:1.18: Art Monk2.27: Matt MendenhallThose drafts laid the foundation of the 1st Gibbs era1981 Redskins:1.20: Mark May3.13: Russ Grimm5.8: Dexter Manley8.8: Charlie Brown9.10: Darryl Grant12.10: Clint Didier

1. Lynn Swann

2. Jack Lambert

No 3rd rounder

4. John Stallworth

5. Mike Webster

:hijack:And to be honest, the Steelers should only have 2 from that draft class as well. Neither Stallworth nor Swann has any business being in the HOF without a ticket.

:/hijack:

I'd agree that draft is hard to beat.
Bob Hayes has more receptions, yards, and touchdowns than Swann, and more touchdowns than Stallworth, yet can't get in. He was a 3 time pro-bowl selection, same as Swann and Stallworth. And he was on a Super Bowl winning team. Speaking of Hayes, check out the Cowboys 1964 draft-round 2- Mel Renfro, Hall of Fame

round 7- Bob Hayes

round 10- Roger Staubach, Hall Of Fame

1975 was a great class too-

1. Randy White, HOF 9 pro bowls

1. Thomas Henderson 1 pro bowl, among other things

3. Bob Breunig 3 pro bowls

4. Pat Donovan 4 pro bowls

7. Mike Hegman

13. herb Scott 3 pro bowls

I like Ware alot, he is a true playmaker, and Spears reminds me alot of Vonnie Holliday, although not as good of a pass rusher at this stage of his career. Canty should also develop as a solid run stuffing end. Burnett was injured early so I think the best is yet to come. But Pettiti? Just because you start as a rookie doesn't mean you are good. He is a human turnstile. Aside from Ware, I don't see any big time players. Solid role players, which is very important to a team, but best of all time? Please, not even close. Its not even the best Cowboys draft in history, not even top 3.

Users who are viewing this thread