What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Darren Sharper (1 Viewer)

Jene Bramel

Footballguy
Not a huge bump to his value in the Tampa-2, but every little bit helps. Hopefully he can take extra pounding....From KFFL:

Vikings | Sharper to line up closer to the line - like a strong safetyTue, 11 Apr 2006 05:39:21 -0700Don Seeholzer, of the Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings S Darren Sharper has spent almost all of his nine NFL seasons at free safety, but he said at the end of the weekend minicamp that he technically would be a strong safety in the Vikings' new defense, lining up closer to the line of scrimmage on the tight end side.

With Tank Williams as the other safety, I have to think his coverage responsibilities will keep his tackle numbers on the low side for a safety. He is much better suited than Tank to cover the deep zones.

With Tank Williams as the other safety, I have to think his coverage responsibilities will keep his tackle numbers on the low side for a safety. He is much better suited than Tank to cover the deep zones.
In the Tampa-2, both safeties have responsibility to cover one outer third of the deep zone (the Mike gets the middle third). Sharper has the coverage skills to move up a shade toward the line on the strong side and still get recover. Tank almost surely does not. Sharper isn't undersized at around 210 so he matches up okay here even though Tank is the bigger player. Neither one of these guys will be particularly valuable in this defense. The strong side safety generally holds a little more value than the free safety though.

Sharper is a deep safety, that gets INT and take them back to create O... he isn't a tackler... what are they thinking in MINN?

Sharper is a deep safety, that gets INT and take them back to create O... he isn't a tackler... what are they thinking in MINN?
Sharper had some run support responsibility as LeRoy Butler declined in Green Bay. He topped 70 solo tackles three times (one year with 69) in a five year stretch from 1999-2003. And at 210lbs, he's got good size.But you're right Sharper's strength is coverage. I think the Vikings know that players like Joey Galloway, Javon Walker and Roy Williams (among others) are going to test the soft zone between the safety and corner in their new defense. I think they know that they can't shade Tank toward the box and expect him to recover in time even if he correctly diagnoses pass quickly. And I think they know that Darren Sharper can.

This alignment change may well be in response to the current LB corps. Big 240 plus guys with marginal speed and cover skills don't fit the Tampa-2 well. They may be moving Sharper up to compensate for that more than anything else as he is the best non corner cover guy they have on the roster.

Although he had a career-high 78 tackles in 16 starts, safety Tank Williams didn't feel like himself last year.

"I wasn't 100 percent, but I knew the team (the Tennessee Titans) needed me out there," said Williams, who tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee in 2004. "They needed a veteran presence. It was rough, but I knew it was something I needed to do."

After two days of practice at the Vikings veterans minicamp, Williams said he feels more confident in the health of his knee, noting that he couldn't run this well at this point a year ago.

Now, Williams is looking forward to replacing strong safety Corey Chavous and playing alongside Pro Bowl free safety Darren Sharper.

"I feel we complement each other well, for the simple fact that he's a ball hawk, and that's something I want to do more of," Williams said. "I can do that. But I'm known for being a run-stuffer and a big hitter, so he can help me. I look forward to working together with him, as well as the great corners on the outside."

Upon signing him late last month, Vikings coach Brad Childress mentioned the possibility of Williams lining up near the line of scrimmage, using his size (6 feet 3, 220 pounds). Williams welcomes such an opportunity, especially because he was used to that role at Stanford.

"I can do that. I like the versatility," he said. "I might be a big safety. But I know I can run. People may think they have a mismatch, but in actuality, they don't."

Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin said Williams appeared to be "cruising" Friday morning. But he said Williams has improved since then.

"But you can tell he's a quick study because basically what he knows is what he's learned this weekend, and he's doing things in a sound nature on the field already," Tomlin said.

Sharper said he is familiar with the former second round pick from his days with the Titans.

"I know he's a physical safety, a big guy, and also a guy who has experience because he's been in the league for four years now," Sharper said. "He's a guy who has range."

But Sharper said another player shouldn't be overlooked: Willie Offord.

"You can't discount Willie Offord, either. He's going to be back and vying for that spot," Sharper said.

Either way, Sharper said, the winner of the battle will bring something similar.

"Whoever it is, those guys are both physical safeties, and that's what you need at that spot," Sharper said.

Williams promised that is what fans will come to appreciate about him.

"When they see me on the field, the fans are going to come to like the hits," Williams said. "If I see someone on the field, I'm definitely going to try to lay them out."
Don't you wish the paper could at least agree with themselves?http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/s...ll/14298683.htm

no matter what their plans are right now, I think their lack of any LB on the roster that they can trust to cover the deep middle will keep Sharper away from the LoS on most sets.

Users who are viewing this thread