What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dead Grass Ideas (1 Viewer)

Cjw_55106

Footballguy
I have a four car driveway and it always has 4 cars in it. Probably due to the combination of people stepping out into the grass when entering/exiting the vehicles and winter salt from the roads, I am left with a dead patch of grass on either side of the driveway. Its about a foot wide and runs the length. I am looking for solutions. In my little mind, I have come up with adding a landscaping border and filling it with either rocks or mulch or laying pavers down. Has anyone had a similar issue or have other suggestions? I feel like adding seed or sod would be an exercise of futility. 

*yes, I know most people simply use the garage for its intended purpose. Mine is full of "stuff", which I am working on getting organized, but its a process. 

I have a four car driveway and it always has 4 cars in it. Probably due to the combination of people stepping out into the grass when entering/exiting the vehicles and winter salt from the roads, I am left with a dead patch of grass on either side of the driveway. Its about a foot wide and runs the length. I am looking for solutions. In my little mind, I have come up with adding a landscaping border and filling it with either rocks or mulch or laying pavers down. Has anyone had a similar issue or have other suggestions? I feel like adding seed or sod would be an exercise of futility. 

*yes, I know most people simply use the garage for its intended purpose. Mine is full of "stuff", which I am working on getting organized, but its a process. 
Pavers is the popular option here  Usually to match a paver walkway/porch

Last edited by a moderator:
Pavers is the popular option here  Usually to match a paver walkway/porch
Thanks. I think the issue I see with pavers is, getting it level with the driveway. The issue with rocks or mulch is, they always end up in the yard. 

i'd personally go with the river rock and something like boxwoods which are super low maintenance.  some pics would help, but i think that will actually give you a better look (more diversity) than just straight up grass.  put some edging in (something like this) so the grass doesn't encroach into the rocks.  

Pavers are nice especially is you blend into a walkway and/or apron but you're talking a lot more cost.  

i would just widen the driveway with asphalt or whatever.  also, LAM i have 4 cars.
Thanks. I dont think that will solve the issue. I think part of the issue is, salt drops off the cars and then I shovel it into the grass. Adding more concrete would just push the problem I think. 

Thanks. I dont think that will solve the issue. I think part of the issue is, salt drops off the cars and then I shovel it into the grass. Adding more concrete would just push the problem I think. 
well, if that’s the issue, then nothing you do will solve it other than not shoveling salted snow onto your grass.  or, you could not salt your driveway and buy a blower.  or, you could rip the whole thing up and install a heated driveway.  seriously.

Thanks. I think the issue I see with pavers is, getting it level with the driveway. The issue with rocks or mulch is, they always end up in the yard. 

Well, gentlemen, I think this one is solved. Keep as is. 

No, most use it like you do. 

I yell at my parents couple times a year for keeping the cars outside while a bunch of crap is kept inside, warm and dry

I'll post a couple pics this weekend. It's not that tough especially if you use an paver edge strip

I think the issue I see with pavers is, getting it level with the driveway. 
You have to dig out the dead grass and dirt beneath to be lower than the height of the pavers.  Then you buy crushed pebble rock and make up the difference in height.  Then tamp down that crushed pebble rock so it's nice and compacted.  Then simply put the pavers on top of that tamped pebble rock and WA LA.   Then finish off with polymeric sand to fill in the gaps and keeps the pavers in place.

If it's from traffic, then you definitely don't want to do put mulch there or any kind of landscaping.  You're going to either be creating a mess or preventing people from getting into cars.

Users who are viewing this thread