What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Democrats move to eliminate the Electoral College (1 Viewer)

Free Transportation?  No.    Who pays for this?  Where will we get the drivers?  What if someone is unable to vote because the "free" transportation never came.

STOP STOP STOP just giving everything away!!   It's a damn right to vote.......get off your butt and go vote!!!!

The law in India is that there must be a polling station within at least 2km of every household. As a result, the gov't goes to great lengths to make voting accessible.

I wish we were as dedicated.

Free Transportation?  No.    Who pays for this?  Where will we get the drivers?  What if someone is unable to vote because the "free" transportation never came.

STOP STOP STOP just giving everything away!!   It's a damn right to vote.......get off your butt and go vote!!!!
Surely if we can give trillions to the richest people and companies in this country we can find a couple hundred million to support the most important aspect of our republic no?  I don't see why anyone should have an issue with that.

Surely if we can give trillions to the richest people and companies in this country we can find a couple hundred million to support the most important aspect of our republic no?  I don't see why anyone should have an issue with that.
Freedom is by far the most important aspect.  

What point are you trying to make Jon?
Never understood why people think having more people vote is a good thing. I want people to vote who are knowledgeable and value their freedom.   I don't want people to vote if they are just looking for free handouts.  

Never understood why people think having more people vote is a good thing. I want people to vote who are knowledgeable and value their freedom.   I don't want people to vote if they are just looking for free handouts.  
 If this was your point, I have no idea why you responded to me the way you did.  I don't disagree with this but I also recognize it's :hophead:  nonsense based on my frustration with the electorate.  So while I'll never push for it, I wouldn't mind seeing it happen.  That said, none of this has anything to do with what you responded to initially....would have never gotten to this based on those posts.  Thanks for the clarification.  

No..It just doesn't work that way.   

What's next? Surely we should offer free transportation to people's jobs..after all, people HAVE to work right?

And free transportation to the doctor, cause people need health care.

Free transportation to the grocery store, or free deliveries cause people HAVE to eat.

This concept of giving away everything for free is bad bad bad for a market economy.  I am tired of this line of thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Freedom is by far the most important aspect.  
Then offer free rides..Don't ask the government to do it.  If it's so important to you...sacrifice your time, your gas, your money...to make sure your entire neighborhood votes.   

Hope that goes well for you

Nothing is next. You should be able to argue the merits of offering rides for people to vote without resorting to ridiculous slippery slope arguments that have nothing to do with what is being discussed. 
It's not ridiculous at all.  And the "merits" of offering rides includes, in my opinion, what those will want next.  It has everything to do with what's being discussed.

You don't agree, fine.   

Nothing is next. You should be able to argue the merits of offering rides for people to vote without resorting to ridiculous slippery slope arguments that have nothing to do with what is being discussed. 
The problem is once you start telling people they shouldn't make slippery slope arguments, pretty soon you'll be telling them they can't make any arguments at all.

What's next? Surely we should offer free transportation to people's jobs..after all, people HAVE to work right?

Free transportation to the grocery store, or free deliveries cause people HAVE to eat.

This concept of giving away everything for free is bad bad bad for a market economy.  I am tired of this line of thinking.
Of course it does.  That's exactly how it works.  You simply want the money to go to the things "your side" does and when they don't you scream "but who's gonna pay for it?!?!?!?!?!!"  Many people do this and have done this forever.  The uncomfortable difference in the Trump era is he and the GOP have removed any semblance of a talking point with respect to fiscal responsibility they once had with their recent actions.  The band-aid's been ripped off that false premise.  Time to acknowledge they don't care about budgets any more than the Dems do....maybe even less (have you compared the year to year deficits of the last two Presidents?)

Of course it does.  That's exactly how it works.  You simply want the money to go to the things "your side" does and when they don't you scream "but who's gonna pay for it?!?!?!?!?!!"  Many people do this and have done this forever.  The uncomfortable difference in the Trump era is he and the GOP have removed any semblance of a talking point with respect to fiscal responsibility with their actions.  The band-aid's been ripped off that false premise.  Time to acknowledge they don't care about budgets any more than the Dems do....maybe even less (have you compared the year to year deficits of the last two Presidents?)
What?

:shrug:   Don't really know how to say it any differently.  How about this....what are your opinions on the latest set of tax breaks that the country couldn't pay for?
I enjoyed my tax cut.  However I am not against taxes or even tax increases in certain situations. 

Sure, nothing more important to Democracy than the citizens voting.  Cost should not come into the equation.  

People would be encouraged to use absentee ballots in that case.  Or just votes via their phones using WhatsApp.   If it's secure enough for Kushner to use for diplomatic business involving a Saudi Princes, nuclear technology and hit lists,  it must be pretty secure.   Make it easier for people to vote, not harder.  It should be as easy a waking up...logging on, mailing a ballot, or waiting for a cab.  

Unless of course you have a problem with Democracy.  

:shrug:   Don't really know how to say it any differently.  How about this....what are your opinions on the latest set of tax breaks that the country couldn't pay for?
I enjoyed my tax cut.  However I am not against taxes or even tax increases in certain situations. 
Right...you prove my point above that you responded "what?" to.  You're good with that debt, but not other debt.  That's for you to reconcile.  The initial post you responded to stands.  You're complaint about "how do we pay for it" when you are sitting there approving of other situations where we aren't paying for it rings hollow...hypocritical, whatever term you want to use.

Right...you prove my point above that you responded "what?" to.  You're good with that debt, but not other debt.  That's for you to reconcile.  The initial post you responded to stands.  You're complaint about "how do we pay for it" when you are sitting there approving of other situations where we aren't paying for it rings hollow...hypocritical, whatever term you want to use.
Maybe.  Some would argue tax cuts stimulate the economy and generate more revenue however.

India is SO awesome too.   wow...Great comparison!
Huh? 

I didn't say India was SO awesome. I quoted an article that showed that they care about voter access a lot more than we do. So yes, in this one area, they are better than us. Where we seem to do everything we can to limit voter access.

So yes, it was a great comparison.

Maybe.  Some would argue tax cuts stimulate the economy and generate more revenue however.
Sure, and I'd ask them to look at the cost/benefit of that.  We are at $2T and counting increase to the deficit for a "stimulus" that barely lasted through 2018.  Compare that to a few hundred million (just a guess) to get more people engaged in our democracy and the cost/benefit from doing that.  Where's the better bang for our buck?  Keep in mind $5B is allegedly a "drop in the bucket" when they are talking about the wall....what is a few hundred million?  Condensation on the outside of the bucket...if that?

Sure, and I'd ask them to look at the cost/benefit of that.  We are at $2T and counting increase to the deficit for a "stimulus" that barely lasted through 2018.  Compare that to a few hundred million (just a guess) to get more people engaged in our democracy and the cost/benefit from doing that.  Where's the better bang for our buck?  Keep in mind $5B is allegedly a "drop in the bucket" when they are talking about the wall....what is a few hundred million?  Condensation on the outside of the bucket...if that?
Again....what?????

Huh? 

I didn't say India was SO awesome. I quoted an article that showed that they care about voter access a lot more than we do. So yes, in this one area, they are better than us. Where we seem to do everything we can to limit voter access.

So yes, it was a great comparison.
Oh ok.  Yea.  Apparantly India does this and we dont.  So on that subject you might argue India does this better.  Does it have anything to do with the lack of easy transportation?

Oh wait.  We are giving free transportation here.  So it doesnt matter

Oh ok.  Yea.  Apparantly India does this and we dont.  So on that subject you might argue India does this better.  Does it have anything to do with the lack of easy transportation?

Oh wait.  We are giving free transportation here.  So it doesnt matter
We are?

Some would say you are not right though.  Even if you say you are.  Some pretty smart people too.   
Some people that say they are pretty smart, really aren't. Don't take my word for it. Seek out the facts yourself. E.g. US GDP is falling despite the tax cuts...

Again....what?????
Wow...really?  Ok...how about this.

It's completely hypocritical to be fine with the $2T (and counting) it cost to get you your tax break and at the same time #####ing about fractions of 1% of that amount it would cost to bolster one of the most important parts of the democratic process of this republic.

If you don't understand that, I've got nothing else for you :shrug:

Some would say you are not right though.  Even if you say you are.  Some pretty smart people too.   
I'd love to see your contribution to this in the tax thread....been looking for these people for some time now.  You seem to have the inside track...hook us up  :thumbup:  

Luckily, we have almost 40 years of history to look back on this. Turns out when you cut taxes, the rich just keep the extra money and the pay for others does not rise. Even with the recent tax cuts wages did not change, companies just bought back stock and gave executive bonuses.

Seems odd when you have mail-in ballots.  Some states will even come by and collect them so you don’t have to walk to your mailbox.
To be fair...this started with the post above.  I am unaware of anyone else making a serious demand for "free transportation" as our solution here.  Mail in ballots are absolutely the way to go, but that gets in the way of a good rant.

Seems odd when you have mail-in ballots.  Some states will even come by and collect them so you don’t have to walk to your mailbox.
In some states, like North Carolina, people will helpfully come by and collect them and then — depending on whom you voted for — dispose of them so that your vote is not counted.

Luckily, we have almost 40 years of history to look back on this. Turns out when you cut taxes, the rich just keep the extra money and the pay for others does not rise. Even with the recent tax cuts wages did not change, companies just bought back stock and gave executive bonuses.
And $1000 to many employees too right?  Didn't that happen?

I got one..And I am far from rich

In some states, like North Carolina, people will helpfully come by and collect them and then — depending on whom you voted for — dispose of them so that your vote is not counted.
I believe it works that way in California as well.  It’s not a very good idea.  Too easily exploited.

To be fair...this started with the post above.  I am unaware of anyone else making a serious demand for "free transportation" as our solution here.  Mail in ballots are absolutely the way to go, but that gets in the way of a good rant.
Please read the thread.  Then come back and revise your post.  Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread