What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dennis Green stands by J.J. Arrington (1 Viewer)

azcards33

Footballguy
Green stands by Arrington

By Darren Urban, Tribune

February 26, 2006

INDIANAPOLIS - As a catchy phrase, LenDale in Glendale has panache.

The idea the Cardinals might take Southern California running back LenDale White, a big body who could carve out tough yards, with the 10th overall pick in April’s draft is appealing.

But the Cards’ shoddy running game isn’t necessarily going to get that kind of overhaul. Coach Dennis Green, who a year ago pronounced for the first time his fondness for running back J.J. Arrington, stood at the same podium Saturday at the NFL scouting combine and steadfastly defended his 2005 second-round pick.

“(J.J.) needs another chance to go in and show he’s the player we believed he was when we drafted him as the 44th player in the (2005) draft, the player he was when he led the nation in rushing,” Green said. “I believe he is that player, but I’m not going to try to convince you of it.

“He’s got to get a chance to play, regardless of whether we draft a back or not. We could easily draft a back and he doesn’t beat J.J. out. That could easily happen.”

While it was long known privately that the Cardinals wouldn’t chase a star free agent back like a Shaun Alexander, Edgerrin James or Jamal Lewis, Green emphasized it again Saturday.

“We’ve not had a blockbuster deal, and a blockbuster deal in my opinion is one that eats up most of your cap space,” Green said. “It means you get one player and one and done. And we’re not going to do that. If you ask me, if we’re going to go after one of the incredible backs that might be available in a blockbuster deal, that probably will not happen.”

But if the Cardinals are serious about developing Arrington, it also makes little sense to spend a high pick on a running back.

White is intriguing. At 6-foot and a planned playing weight of around 235 pounds, he would seem to make a good pairing with Arrington. He already stands out compared to most of the other potential draftees at the position, given the amount of smaller backs. Of Pro Football Weekly’s top 20 running back prospects, 11 stand under 5-10.

“That’s what helps me a lot in this draft, just because how big I am,” White said. “(Memphis’) DeAngelo (Williams) and Reggie (Bush) are in a class of their own and then you have the in-betweens like (Minnesota’s Laurence) Maroney. I’m kind of happy to be in this class because you get a lot more touchdowns when you’re big.”

NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock sees Maroney as the second-best back behind Bush. Then comes White and then Williams. If White manages to run the 40-yard dash in the 4.4s — White won’t run until USC’s pro day April 2 — Mayock said he’ll jump up the board again.

But there are questions about White. He drew laughs when he talked about playing in the Rose Bowl at 253 pounds, weight gained because he overate during the holidays. There are questions about how hard he would work once he receives a first-round payday, and some think he has more finesse in his game than a big back should.

Players like Maroney or Williams would likely be too similar to Arrington to warrant choosing.

Of course, it’s difficult to tell how much the Cardinals — or any team — likes any of the top rookie-to-be backs at the moment.

“Everybody has poker faces around here,” Williams said. “Everybody’s playing with a World Series of Poker face. They all smile the same; they all ask you the same questions. They do a great job of not letting other teams know who they really show interest in.”

I always figured Arrington would get another chance to succeed. THe question now is whether he can do anything with that chance.

denny's a great salesman, but few are going to buy jj at this point

I think it's safe to say that Arrington won't be effective in Arizona unless they significantly upgrade the line. However, it's probably safe to say that Lendale White won't be effective unless they significantly upgrade the line, too. In fact, Lendale White seems like exactly the wrong kind of back for a team with no run blocking; he needs to get up to speed before he can be effective. Marcel Shipp is 225 and he hasn't had a TD in Arizona since 2003; it's bad news for a big guy to get hit in the backfield.

It probably makes more sense for Arizona to spend their picks on linemen than running backs. If they spend their 1.10 pick on a running back, it would have to be someone who can create holes on his own, not a bruiser.

there are enuff rbs in the draft and Free Agency that i would put money against jj being the back this season...

Sign Edge, draft Vernon Davis and say hello to the playoffs. If they can also get Hutchinson or Bentley, watch out.

Last edited by a moderator:
They could draft a RB in the 5th round that would likely upgrade the position. Im sure theyll bring in a FA back, but it doesnt sound like a $6 or 7mil/year back like Edge or Alexander. They need to move up about 3 or 4 spots and snag Brick Ferguson and begin to shape that line.

I would lose all respect for Denny if he does not upgrade the RB position.
I agree that he needs a better RB in AZ. I'm not sure a 3rd or 4th round back wouldn't be an upgrade. The fact is JJ maybe a bust. He may not be better than a 3rd round back this draft. Ahman Green is not going to break the bank and could fill a need for a couple of years. Possibly bring in Onterrio Smith if the Vikes let him go for cheap. Denny is not going into a pivotal season for his tenure with JJ carrying his future.

I would lose all respect for Denny if he does not upgrade the RB position.
Upgrading the RB position means getting an OL that can block for JJ. Denny would be stupid to make a major investment in another runner without giving JJ a chance.

Id like to see them sign a Jonathan Wells type to share the load and spent their money/draft picks along the line.

I would be shocked if the Cardinals don't make a move on a proven RB or one in the 1st round.

If the Cardinals post another 5-11 / 6-10 year, I would say it's a better than even chance Bidwill whacks him before moving into the new stadium. And to win this year, Green also needs a competent back-up quarterback to Warner.

The best play for the Cardinals is to sign a Steve Hutchinson and a lesser free agent RB, then draft the best available OL at 1.10. Or sign Hutch and a lesser vet OL and then draft the RB a 1.10.

Grren needs to win this year.

If the Cardinals post another 5-11 / 6-10 year, I would say it's a better than even chance Bidwill whacks him before moving into the new stadium.
It's going to be difficult for Green and the Cards to post any kind of record before moving into the new stadium.

Denny Green's Smoke n Mirrors Show - you won't believe your eyes & you best not believe your ears!

A FA glut of RBs, a pretty good class of rookie RBs, and he's gonna start a 2nd year player that has shown little?

Right... over I have a little piece of heaven you can buy, Casa de Swamp...

Denny will play it low key and sign Michael Bennett. This will allow him to fill other holes via draft & Free Agency, while still giving JJ Arrington a chance to show he is not a bust.

What other needs do they have? I don't really see them filling many OL needs in FA just beacuse they reall isn't any quality OL guys in FA. I'm not sure if they should give up on Arrington already, but from what little I saw of him, if a defender came by and blew on him he went down......(oh I drank all the JJ Arrington kool-aid last year of him being the super sleeper of the year, and drafted him early........yeah that worked out well for me)

What other needs do they have? I don't really see them filling many OL needs in FA just beacuse they reall isn't any quality OL guys in FA. I'm not sure if they should give up on Arrington already, but from what little I saw of him, if a defender came by and blew on him he went down......(oh I drank all the JJ Arrington kool-aid last year of him being the super sleeper of the year, and drafted him early........yeah that worked out well for me)
Did you see the 4th down play vs the Redskins? Yeah, the one where JJ went down to the ground way before the first down because Sean Taylor was coming. Basicallly gave up...no heart or brains!Cards are in need of OL, they might lose Davis. They also are in need of DL, DB and might even look to get a MLB. DL is a great need though...

What other needs do they have?  I don't really see them filling many OL needs in FA just beacuse they reall isn't any quality OL guys in FA.  I'm not sure if they should give up on Arrington already, but from what little I saw of him, if a defender came by and blew on him he went down......(oh I drank all the JJ Arrington kool-aid last year of him being the super sleeper of the year, and drafted him early........yeah that worked out well for me)
Did you see the 4th down play vs the Redskins? Yeah, the one where JJ went down to the ground way before the first down because Sean Taylor was coming. Basicallly gave up...no heart or brains!Cards are in need of OL, they might lose Davis. They also are in need of DL, DB and might even look to get a MLB. DL is a great need though...
I will agree no heart.. but if Sean Taylor is speeding towrds you... he showed brains and went down... ask that cowboy who taylor knocked into next season

I'm in the camp that thinks Denny will bring in a runner to compete for the job (like Michael Bennett). I don't think that they will draft a RB in round one, unless Reggie Bush falls:)

IF (a big if) the Cardinals are smart they will realize that they have a fragile QB who can still wing it, 2 talented WR's, and a decent RB that could be good IF they have some quality lineman. I would not be surprised to see the Cardinals draft a lineman at #10 and sign a FA.

I would love to be the Cardinals GM right now, they have some really good young talent to build on.

Those that think JJ sucks are idoits. He may have sucked in fatatsy terms and was a large bust compared to his draft position but to say he's flat out not very good is rediculous. He's a smaller speed back in the mold of a Westbrook but was utilized like Jerome Bettis but running behind and the Az line. Put him in the right cirumstances and I have no doubt he would excell.

How many chances did Green give Michael Bennett to prove himself? I would not be surprised if Arrington was at least given a shot to start.

Those that think JJ sucks are idoits. He may have sucked in fatatsy terms and was a large bust compared to his draft position but to say he's flat out not very good is rediculous. He's a smaller speed back in the mold of a Westbrook but was utilized like Jerome Bettis but running behind and the Az line. Put him in the right cirumstances and I have no doubt he would excell.
You could argue the same thing for Shipp..... Az's O line is horrible... Edge/SA couldn't run behind that line... I'd like one of them to go there to prove it. :)

I have some high hopes for Arrington myself. I dont have him in a league or anything but I think when the line actually blocked and Warner was doing ok, Arrington showed some flashes of what he could do. I think the Cards should still bring in Bennett to challenge him. The Cards could surprise some people next year.

I have some high hopes for Arrington myself. I dont have him in a league or anything but I think when the line actually blocked and Warner was doing ok, Arrington showed some flashes of what he could do. I think the Cards should still bring in Bennett to challenge him. The Cards could surprise some people next year.
I just don't see anything about JJA that makes me think he can't run in the NFL. #1 concern in AZ should be improving the OL at any costs. There are two premier OL in free agency that won't cost anything but money, which AZ has plenty of. Not getting either one would be a disgrace.

there's no fishing in Arizona!

Reminder to self: Never believe anything a coach, GM, or Owner says between the Superbowl and the Draft...Its all BS...

m.bennett was not to good for d.green early either.If you look back even more R.Smith wasnt good in the fist year either.

It comes down to even if he does step up this season he will have a little over 1000 and only a few tds.D.Greens rb never seem to score any tds anyway.

I could see a jj and bennett 1-2 punch this year.

Arrington's biggest problem is that he isn't very good.

Other than that the skies the limit for him.
He's also not tough. That dive he took in the game vs. the 'Skins on a critical 3rd down play was very eye-opening for me.

I would be shocked if the Cardinals don't make a move on a proven RB or one in the 1st round.

If the Cardinals post another 5-11 / 6-10 year, I would say it's a better than even chance Bidwill whacks him before moving into the new stadium. And to win this year, Green also needs a competent back-up quarterback to Warner.

The best play for the Cardinals is to sign a Steve Hutchinson and a lesser free agent RB, then draft the best available OL at 1.10. Or sign Hutch and a lesser vet OL and then draft the RB a 1.10.

Grren needs to win this year.
I really don't see how Michael Bennett is NOT a Cardinal next year.And for all the people arguing about the poor OL. Arrington runs like Charlie Garner... braces for impact, takes what the defense gives him, settles. By contrast, look at how Cadillac Williams runs, always moving forward, when you tackle him he falls forwards.... kinda Emmitt-like. That's the reason Arrington won't succeed IMO. He doesn't have that drive, and I don't think it's something that can be coached.

I really really really REALLY doubt they draft RB in the first round, and I doubt even less that they give Arrington another shot at anything more than a backup.

Green needs to win now.

And for all the people arguing about the poor OL. Arrington runs like Charlie Garner... braces for impact, takes what the defense gives him, settles. By contrast, look at how Cadillac Williams runs, always moving forward, when you tackle him he falls forwards.... kinda Emmitt-like. That's the reason Arrington won't succeed IMO. He doesn't have that drive, and I don't think it's something that can be coached.

I really really really REALLY doubt they draft RB in the first round, and I doubt even less that they give Arrington another shot at anything more than a backup.

Green needs to win now.
Garner had a 4.6 ypc average for his career, and had 1750+ combined yards three times, for two different teams. If Arrington, as a second-round pick, can ever put up those kinds of numbers, he would have been a steal. (Coincidentally, Garner was pick #42, Arrington was #44 in the draft).Garner also had a 3.7 ypc average and 3 TDs on 109 carries in his first season; a fairly similar start to Arrington's, actually.

Yeah, but I suppose I forgot to mention I was referencing the latter part of his career. If you saw him play for the Bucs, he wasn't running for yards, he was running until he thought he'd get hit, then he just lowers his shoulder and braces for impact. Several times he would lower his shoulder and just fall over because the guy would take a different angle and either miss him or tackle him wrong.

That Arrington runs like a 30+ year old vet in his rookie year is a bit saddening to me. He runs like he's afraid of laying it out.

Wasn't that the slogan last offseason. :P No, really. Didn't the Cards finish top 10 in yards AND yards allowed. The only team in the NFL to do that? They were playing better than their record indicated, but then again, they're in the NFC West.

Users who are viewing this thread