What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Deshaun Watson vs. Jared Goff (1 Viewer)

Tree44

Footballguy
I'm in a 12-team, non-PPR, 1 superflex league where we can keep one player from last year's draft that we picked in round 8 or later in a 16-round draft. We get to keep the player in the round we picked them. Last year I picked Goff in the 10th round and D Watson in the 13th. Judging by rankings, most sites have Watson as top-10 QB or borderline, with Goff being 15 or later.

Even though it goes against every expert ranking, I feel like Goff is going to have a better year than Watson. 4,400 yards and 29 TDs/7Ints last year was really solid, and they've only added weapons like J Gibbs. I know he gives you nothing with his legs.

Watson obviously looked horrid and really rusty at the end of last season. I expect some improvement but Cleveland still has Chubb and I can't remember when it's ever been the hotbed of fantasy QB production and it's not the "factory of sadnesss" for nothing.

Am I crazy thinking Goff may be the better keeper?

No, you’re not crazy — a few unknowns that may help clarify/muddy for the future:

- Chubb / Cooper being older may decrease future offensive success. DET doesn’t appear to have as much of an issue w/ current info.

- If CLE struggles, the HC’s days may be numbered & we don’t know how that would affect DW’s future. DET’s HC doesn’t appear to have an issue w/ current info.

- What if Hendon H is really good?

In short, you’re not crazy but I don’t have any advice other than to gather all the info & trust your gut/process, whichever way that leads.

I wouldn't say crazy, but I have Watson a lot higher than Goff. I would be careful about putting too much weight on 2022. We have a lot of evidence Watson is an elite player, and Goff isn't even close.

ETA: I'd feel fine with Watson as a starter, I wouldn't want Goff as a starter.

Not entirely crazy but one thing to be aware of is Goff appears to be an entirely different QB at home vs on the road.

In 9 home games he threw 23 TDs (2.55/game) with 8 multi-TD games, in 8 road games he threw 6 TDs (0.75/game) with one multi-TD game (3 at Carolina) and 4 games with 0 TD passes.

The Lions look like a better team this year but they have 9 road games and 8 at home, I would be at least a little wary of relying on Goff for 9 roadies.

At least with Watson you can hope his legs helps to stabilize his scoring in off games, with Goff that isn't an option.

Not crazy but, IMO

Watson>Goff

Agreed, not crazy, but considering the higher ranked QB is also cheaper (13th rounder vs. 10th rounder), it seems like a fairly easy call.

For future note - we're not able to do league specific Who do I start / who do I keep in the Shark Pool as it will get overrun. Those all need to go in the assistant coach forum.

If you have a question like Watson or Goff please frame it more general where the whole forum can get value from the discussion.

Not entirely crazy but one thing to be aware of is Goff appears to be an entirely different QB at home vs on the road.

In 9 home games he threw 23 TDs (2.55/game) with 8 multi-TD games, in 8 road games he threw 6 TDs (0.75/game) with one multi-TD game (3 at Carolina) and 4 games with 0 TD passes.

The Lions look like a better team this year but they have 9 road games and 8 at home, I would be at least a little wary of relying on Goff for 9 roadies.

At least with Watson you can hope his legs helps to stabilize his scoring in off games, with Goff that isn't an option.

Not crazy but, IMO

Watson>Goff
In Goff's last year in LA, the general consensus was that he played poorly. He still averaged 25 points in his 8 road games. If you are worried about the weather, the Lions only play 1 non dome road game after week 7, and that game is against the Bears.

Was hoping this thread was about an upcoming MMA match. Oh well. I would keep Watson if I were in your shoes.

Users who are viewing this thread