What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disability Advocacy (UPDATE: like & share link in post #16) (1 Viewer)

BobbyLayne

Footballguy
This has been bugging me all day, thought I'd throw this to the collective wisdom of the FFA....

My morning routine includes a mid-morning trip to the local Blink Fitness gym for a light workout. About 80% of the days I visit, at some point a local middle aged woman who is disabled comes in with their caregiver aide. Uses a power wheelchair, AFAIK she appears to be spastic in all four limbs. They keep to themselves but are pretty cheerful.

It's really inspirational to see; she cannot get out of her chair without assistance, nor walk on her own. Her caregiver holds her hands/wrists while she slowly walks from her chair to the treadmill. Probably does like 5-10 minutes, moves to an open area where she does sets of squats (again with the caregiver holding her hands.) Then she moves over to resistance training and does pulldowns, leg press, and finishes off with a few sets of kettlebell curls. All the weights are on the minimal setting but still, I just think it's great she is in there every day putting in consistent effort. Always has a cheerful hi and wave when she sees me (she does this with a bunch of regulars...super nice lady.)

Anyway, that's the backstory. The issue is the gym employees have been giving her a hard time about something petty. IMO

A few months ago she was coming in and I was near the entrance, and I overheard the desk employee tagging her in say the caregiver cannot wear jeans (it's a somewhat small gym.) I was stupefied. The caregiver does NOT use any of the gym equipment. She is merely there to assist the disabled lady. A few days later they were two stations down from me and I ask them about it. They were pretty upset about it, I just lent my ear without commenting.

This morning I was coming out of the bathroom (near the entrance) and again a desk person (different employee) was engaging them in what I thought was a condescending manner (tone, rbf, etc.) The employee was telling them the home health aide could not wear Crocs. AGAIN, the caregiver does not use the facilities in any way. Only there to spot the disabled woman and help her move around. This time I decided to interject, but I did so in a non-confrontational way.

"Excuse me....hey how's it going? Listen...is that really necessary? I've looked at your dress code policy and there basically is no dress code. Pretty much anything goes, l mean look over there...those guys over there lifting free weights are in their socks. You allow women to wear anything they deem appropriate & comfortable workout clothing. The members decide. This lady (the caregiver) isn't a member, she is not a guest, she is only here to assist ________ move from her chair to the equipment." At this point the disabled lady starting saying "it's OK, it's OK, I just won't renew my membership" and rolled off to go do her workout.

IDK, the whole thing rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe I'm missing something or being unreasonable. Just kind of made me mad bc the disabled lady is
  1. very meek and Asian...it def felt like they were doing this bc of inherent bias....not overt racism/ableism, just....ya know...giving into preconceived notions, if that makes sense.
  2. is a small person (again....I've seen this power dynamic in public before. Sometimes people who look wimpy or are diminutive / petite get walked over just because folks with bullying tendencies look for people to prey on)
  3. she is not impacting anyone at the gym. It's her caregiver the staff has a dress code issue with. The wheelchair lady can't do her workout without help. Why would the gym impose their (loosey goosey for everyone else) dress code on a non-member?

Not my problem to solve, but walking home I was wondering if there is some organization that helps disabled people who need assistance resolving disputes? Or maybe just consumer advocacy in general?

In the grand scheme of things it's NBD, but just struck me that the gym employees were only harassing her and the caregiver bc they knew they wouldn't push back. Neither here nor there, but the caregiver is a young Latina, from her accent/appearance I would guess Central American, limited English, super quiet person.

(add'l info: although they have a franchise program outside of NYC, it appears most of their 100 locations in the northeast are owned by a central corporate entity, but each location is an LLC - somewhat common around here. In other areas like CA they sell franchises...anyway I can't find any way to contact their HQ to file a complaint.)

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I don’t know if I really have any suggestions but that’s just so petty on their part. If they were really strict about the footwear thing, I could get it even with the caregiver. Don’t want a weight falling on them or something but if they aren’t enforcing these rules for everyone it’s total BS. I mean you think you would more flexible with the rules in this case, not less.

Last edited:
Kudos to you for speaking up but at this point I wouldn’t do anything else without maybe talking to the lady or caregiver again. If she wants to drop it or leave the club I think it’s her prerogative.

I don’t really know, but it sounds like an ADA violation if reasonable accommodations aren’t made (which this seems like) unless maybe the gym does have special dispensation for some reason.

I would think that there is a local legal aid office that could point in the right direction.

Good for you. I am my disabled sisters guardian, and I have seen some crazy things in regards to how people will treat other people, especially with disabilities. These days I just assume everyone I deal with is the devil, and I just start from there. I find it is much better to go on the offensive, as most people are aholz in 2023. Good for you. Go get em!

Kudos to you for speaking up but at this point I wouldn’t do anything else without maybe talking to the lady or caregiver again. If she wants to drop it or leave the club I think it’s her prerogative.

100% - she has agency and it would be inappropriate for me to do anything without her express consent.

I was just hoping for some suggestions which I could share with her the next time she turns up. She's at the facility the same time as I am 3-4 times every week.

You could send an email letting them you know you are the kind of person who might seek to publicize discriminatory behavior. Maybe find a corporate email to CC. Maybe human resources. They have 50+ gyms just in NYC.

Unless the entire company is insane, they will sort that out quick.

Their parent company is a former client so I might have a few connections who could straighten this out. Gonna hold off until I speak with the lady to determine if she wants my assistance.

did the staff respond to your comments at all?

usually good to make an obvious point of getting their name.. "Ok bitchy mcbitchface- thanks for letting me know the official stance on screwing over this person"

100% - she has agency and it would be inappropriate for me to do anything without her express consent.

I was just hoping for some suggestions which I could share with her the next time she turns up. She's at the facility the same time as I am 3-4 times every week.
yeah- it's her decision about how she wants to proceed for herself. I guess to me, that doesn't exclude you from acting on your own- since it seems like an uncool situation- whether it's this woman or the next.

I could see the gym requiring the caregiver to sign some waiver of liability
or
even charge some access fee to the caregiver (not a good business decision IMO)
but
trying to enforce some undocumented dress code with the caregiver just seems like an unofficial harassment tactic

UPDATE

My disabled friend posted about her experience on social media.

She went back to the gym to
cancel her membership in person. Whilst there the manager told her “well you weren’t even paying for it.” Which is odd - she’s paying full price, she doesn’t get this through a government program…and even if she did what’s that got to do with anything??

Her nephew, who happens to be a personal trainer/bodybuilder, saw her post. After exchanging a few texts, he forwarded his story to a few of his colleagues. One of them is a trainer/fitness influencer who reposted her story with his editorial comment.

IDK if it will go viral (said influencer only has 211K followers) but it’s picking up steam as I type this. My friend (@spazzyji) has already received multiple offers from NYC gyms that would love to have her join them, free of charge. To be continued…

Wholesome.

UPDATE

My disabled friend posted about her experience on social media.

She went back to the gym to
cancel her membership in person. Whilst there the manager told her “well you weren’t even paying for it.” Which is odd - she’s paying full price, she doesn’t get this through a government program…and even if she did what’s that got to do with anything??

Her nephew, who happens to be a personal trainer/bodybuilder, saw her post. After exchanging a few texts, he forwarded his story to a few of his colleagues. One of them is a trainer/fitness influencer who reposted her story with his editorial comment.

IDK if it will go viral (said influencer only has 211K followers) but it’s picking up steam as I type this. My friend (@spazzyji) has already received multiple offers from NYC gyms that would love to have her join them, free of charge. To be continued…

Wholesome.

I love that she goes by spazzyji. Given the manager’s response, I’d have a really hard time not either quitting the gym, or joining the campaign big time against the gym.

Users who are viewing this thread