What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Disney Vacation (1 Viewer)

rascal said:
Thinking of going late September and take advantage of free meal plan.  My wife's friend, who is a travel agent, warned us to expect large crowds due to the free meal plan.  That doesn't sound right to me.
"Large" is relative. 

Realize the free dining is a promotion to get people to come. Next to Race/Marathon Weekend it is prob their 2nd biggest promotion—People love Free.  Many people plan their vacations only around that promo. But the promo dates are spread out, and they have been limited rooms—less and less rooms available in the last few years. 

I wouldn't expect Easter, Spring Break or Christmas level crowds, but I would def expect peak level type. But whatever, go, have fun, enjoy the free dining, and adjust your expectations for larger than normal (and BTW there are no more 'normal' crows at a WDW anymore). And the bonus is, if the crowds are lighter, then win/win for you.

September is a great time to be there—as many will attest, the Epcot Food and Wine festival is worth it alone.  I'll be there the last weekend in Sept myself, fattening up on some international grub overload. 

Last edited by a moderator:
As expected, struck out on Flight of Passage FastPass for 2/19 (we are staying off property), so I am resigned to the rope drop fight by probably showing up at 8 for a 9:00 opening. Any tips? Will we fall way back if wife has a bag that needs to be checked? Do they normally open all the gates at once? I know I need to veer left to get in the next line to wait to get into Pandora, but it looks hectic and I’m not sure how far ahead to push with the line for FOP forming on the “right”. Has anyone done this?

We couldnt have plannes the last two days any more perfect if we tried. Fast pass max way worth the 60 bucks for us. Although prices went up last week. Would have been only 40

As expected, struck out on Flight of Passage FastPass for 2/19 (we are staying off property), so I am resigned to the rope drop fight by probably showing up at 8 for a 9:00 opening. Any tips? Will we fall way back if wife has a bag that needs to be checked? Do they normally open all the gates at once? I know I need to veer left to get in the next line to wait to get into Pandora, but it looks hectic and I’m not sure how far ahead to push with the line for FOP forming on the “right”. Has anyone done this?
can you leave the bag in the car, at least until you ride the ride? Bag check can be a huge PIA. Or at least let her go to bag check with all the carried items and meet you in line after—you and the others go straight to no bags and to the entry gate. 

once inside, look for the CMs and ask where the line ends....dont follow the crowd...most of them are stupid and are following the wrong people. There should be a CM with a sign signaling the end of the line. The one time i waited on line, the line began on the other side of the bridge into Pandora up by Pizzafari. People were walking by saying "Nahhh....FoP is this way. IDK where they are waiting for?" only to see the same people walking back with their mouths open (esp since the line grew since they got to the ride and were turned around.)

can you leave the bag in the car, at least until you ride the ride? Bag check can be a huge PIA. Or at least let her go to bag check with all the carried items and meet you in line after—you and the others go straight to no bags and to the entry gate. 

once inside, look for the CMs and ask where the line ends....dont follow the crowd...most of them are stupid and are following the wrong people. There should be a CM with a sign signaling the end of the line. The one time i waited on line, the line began on the other side of the bridge into Pandora up by Pizzafari. People were walking by saying "Nahhh....FoP is this way. IDK where they are waiting for?" only to see the same people walking back with their mouths open (esp since the line grew since they got to the ride and were turned around.)
Thanks; do you think 8:00 is early enough? The line hugs the right hand side right? Will definitely look for the sign! I didnt know you could go back to your car actually, will keep that in mind.

Thanks; do you think 8:00 is early enough? The line hugs the right hand side right? Will definitely look for the sign! I didnt know you could go back to your car actually, will keep that in mind.
8 is fine...earlier is always best, but really how early can you get there? maybe 7:30 but it is what it is. 

the only thing that will kill you is if the park opens early to resort guests. If you don't know where to find that, PM me your dates and I'll try and find it. 

Yes, if you need to leave the park, you can indeed come back in. Esp if you have a car, leaving the stuff in the car can be helpful by keeping you in the same 'no bag' group. If you want to bring a bag, get those very thin drawstring bags, and fold them tight into your pocket and just walk in with your bottle of water. 

Line: Yes, I believe it does...like i said, the one time I did it, it was over the bridge and around by tiffins and pizzafari. It then winded into the land, down the back walkway into Africa, by the Lion King Bathrooms, then turned around and back down that walkway, and then toward the ride entrance. 

I followed this video and wait was about a half hour.  One piece of advice is to not go on extra magic hour day if you aren't able to get in the park when they do since you are staying off sight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc3E4QhOgCg

Thinking about going in August, staying on site for the first time and taking advantage of the free meal plan.

Can someone tell me the cost of using a Disney travel agent?

Thinking about going in August, staying on site for the first time and taking advantage of the free meal plan.

Can someone tell me the cost of using a Disney travel agent?

zero, there is no cost to you. i can recommend a few if you want. On a call, i'll fill in more after

its very easy to book a WDW vacation online, almost too easy. So why are there still travel agents?  Simple fact, inside knowledge. If you book with an official TA, there is no cost to you, none. Disney pays their commission. Where they are worth their salt is in discounts—they have programs running all the time and their ears open for hidden or little-publicized discounts. And a good agent will find them and apply them to your booking. It saves you the hassle of calling every week and asking "are there any discounts....zzzzzz"

Now TAs have other values, they can make you FP and dining reservations for you, this saves you the trouble of getting up early and all the dance that goes with it. But if you enjoy that part, then you can do it and tell hem it's not needed. TA's do work on commission, so the higher overall cost of your vacation helps their bottom line. So know what upgrades or extras you want or not. Know what meal plan you are comfortable with.  I had a friend who booked with a TA and she sold them the super deluxe dining plan and they spend every waking minute in a restaurant. 

Also, a TA might throw in some goodie bags, gift cards or other small perks as good customer service and retain your future business. This depends on the agency and how much magic they care to spread around. I was on a flight once and the family next to me had a personalized, laminated flip book of their daily itinerary, tips and maps provided by their TA.  

I use a TA friend whenever I book the Universal part of my trip. Not for any other reason than they can get a quick commission. I could easily book it, but why give Universal all the beans. He can get me the exact same price as well as get his beak wet a bit.

Let me know if you need any recommendations. 

zero, there is no cost to you. i can recommend a few if you want. On a call, i'll fill in more after

its very easy to book a WDW vacation online, almost too easy. So why are there still travel agents?  Simple fact, inside knowledge. If you book with an official TA, there is no cost to you, none. Disney pays their commission. Where they are worth their salt is in discounts—they have programs running all the time and their ears open for hidden or little-publicized discounts. And a good agent will find them and apply them to your booking. It saves you the hassle of calling every week and asking "are there any discounts....zzzzzz"

Now TAs have other values, they can make you FP and dining reservations for you, this saves you the trouble of getting up early and all the dance that goes with it. But if you enjoy that part, then you can do it and tell hem it's not needed. TA's do work on commission, so the higher overall cost of your vacation helps their bottom line. So know what upgrades or extras you want or not. Know what meal plan you are comfortable with.  I had a friend who booked with a TA and she sold them the super deluxe dining plan and they spend every waking minute in a restaurant. 

Also, a TA might throw in some goodie bags, gift cards or other small perks as good customer service and retain your future business. This depends on the agency and how much magic they care to spread around. I was on a flight once and the family next to me had a personalized, laminated flip book of their daily itinerary, tips and maps provided by their TA.  

I use a TA friend whenever I book the Universal part of my trip. Not for any other reason than they can get a quick commission. I could easily book it, but why give Universal all the beans. He can get me the exact same price as well as get his beak wet a bit.

Let me know if you need any recommendations. 
Thanks for this. Do TA's book and use pricing only from WDW online? Or do they also consider other sources, like Undercover Tourist (for tickets)? Airfare seemed more expensive through Disney than a quick check with Orbitz, though that seems to be more intuitive to book separately than tickets. I believe the free meal plan promotion requires park hopper tickets, so discounted tickets may not be eligible to get the deal.

I may ask for a recommendation later. I think my wife has someone she would like to use if we decide to go that route.

That one guy said:
Why do you hate yourself? ;)
Yes, I know.

It's really the only available week my wife can get out of work, other than Christmas week.

Thanks for this. Do TA's book and use pricing only from WDW online? Or do they also consider other sources, like Undercover Tourist (for tickets)? Airfare seemed more expensive through Disney than a quick check with Orbitz, though that seems to be more intuitive to book separately than tickets. I believe the free meal plan promotion requires park hopper tickets, so discounted tickets may not be eligible to get the deal.

I may ask for a recommendation later. I think my wife has someone she would like to use if we decide to go that route.
yes, if you want free dining, its the whole package that you need to buy.....room and tickets. TAs will basically use the same resources you do to book, but they will get daily updates on other discounts that you wouldn't without asking every day.  I've mentioned in the past, that WDW will usually offer a room discount that is even if not greater then the value of free dining. So its worthwhile to look at that as well. What you save in free dining is really a reflection of how your family eats. Even with paying for the dining package, we normally have credits left over at the end of the trip. If you book a FD package and don't use all the credits, WDW Wins. If you book with a room discount, that $$ is in your pocket regardless.

If say the Dining Plan is a fixed cost at $2,000, opting for Free dining will theoretically be saving you $2000, but paying full price for the room.
However if the room discount is $1800 w/o free dining, and your family only eats $1500 worth of food (not using the dining plan) over the course of the vacation, you actually come out ahead.
Now lets say the room discount is $2300, you can still add the dining plan and still be saving money. 
Now, now say you use a TA, book the room discount, but the dining plan and then they find out an even greater discount is available, they apply it and you megga-win.  

I can't guarantee any of that to be true or likely, i'm just saying that you need to weight all options. 

As for airfare, you can book that yourself. IDK if TAs have any inside track to better deals, but it can't hurt to ask. Where a TA and airfare is a better option is when you are booking in the winter and coming from a snowy location. If your plane is grounded or canceled due to weather, instead of fighting the masses at the airport, you call your TA and its their job to straighten out for you. 

I would never use Disney for airfare. They always seem higher.

Yes, I know.

It's really the only available weekend my wife can get out of work, other than Christmas week.

oh hell no! I love Disney but I would stay away from there Xmas week if you are just a casual guest.  Thats hardcore Disney to the max, and I'm not even man enough to brave it. 

August isnt a bad time to go. Yes it's hot, and its a bit rainy, but if you do some stuff in the AM, then bounce to the resort, relax, hit the pool, eat, and then out at night, its a really great trip. We normally only travel in the summer, and that's what we do. That is however where good resort location is at a plus. 

oh hell no! I love Disney but I would stay away from there Xmas week if you are just a casual guest.  Thats hardcore Disney to the max, and I'm not even man enough to brave it. 

August isnt a bad time to go. Yes it's hot, and its a bit rainy, but if you do some stuff in the AM, then bounce to the resort, relax, hit the pool, eat, and then out at night, its a really great trip. We normally only travel in the summer, and that's what we do. That is however where good resort location is at a plus. 
A few years ago, we were able to go the week before Xmas. We left Christmas Eve (which was a Saturday), so we were able to enjoy the Xmas setup at the park, have comfortable weather and missed most of the heavy crowds. We also happened to be able to secure first class tickets on the flights, so it was a fantastic trip all around.

We have also visited in August. Drove down from CT. Brutal humidity and much heavier crowds.

Unfortunately, my options are limited this time.

yes, if you want free dining, its the whole package that you need to buy.....room and tickets. TAs will basically use the same resources you do to book, but they will get daily updates on other discounts that you wouldn't without asking every day.  I've mentioned in the past, that WDW will usually offer a room discount that is even if not greater then the value of free dining. So its worthwhile to look at that as well. What you save in free dining is really a reflection of how your family eats. Even with paying for the dining package, we normally have credits left over at the end of the trip. If you book a FD package and don't use all the credits, WDW Wins. If you book with a room discount, that $$ is in your pocket regardless.

If say the Dining Plan is a fixed cost at $2,000, opting for Free dining will theoretically be saving you $2000, but paying full price for the room.
However if the room discount is $1800 w/o free dining, and your family only eats $1500 worth of food (not using the dining plan) over the course of the vacation, you actually come out ahead.
Now lets say the room discount is $2300, you can still add the dining plan and still be saving money. 
Now, now say you use a TA, book the room discount, but the dining plan and then they find out an even greater discount is available, they apply it and you megga-win.  

I can't guarantee any of that to be true or likely, i'm just saying that you need to weight all options. 

As for airfare, you can book that yourself. IDK if TAs have any inside track to better deals, but it can't hurt to ask. Where a TA and airfare is a better option is when you are booking in the winter and coming from a snowy location. If your plane is grounded or canceled due to weather, instead of fighting the masses at the airport, you call your TA and its their job to straighten out for you. 

I would never use Disney for airfare. They always seem higher.
I've been comparing options for the basic trip with options available to me (TA may have other discounts as you said):

Preferred Room at a budget hotel (All Star Movies) for 6 nights, 7 day Hopper Plus Pass, plus regular Dining plan  ~$3900

Discounted Preferred Room at a budget Hotel (All Star Movies) for 6 nights. Buying a 7 day Hopper Plus off Undercover Tourist ~$2950

The value of the Dining Plan to me is $950, which is about $40/person per day for a family of 4 (kids are 10 and 8). I'm told ice cream inside the parks is $12, so this seems worth it to me. Adding the dining plan to a discounted room seems to be a $1526.66 value. So, the free counter service dining, plus adding the Sit Down option seems to be worth it.

How much am I going to hate staying at All Star Movies or All Star Sports?

ETA: Keep in mind, I'm a cheap *******, so spending over $5k for a week vacation already makes me want to vomit.

One big recommendation if you do the dining plan during Food and Wine.  Horde the snack credits like they are gold as you can use them at the marketplaces.

@Dragons

We have done it all. Budget off site, value, moderate and deluxe. 

How much are you going to hate staying in an all star, I say it depends how much time you intend to actually be there. 

If you plan on heading back mid day (in Aug, I would suggest) then you will encounter a ton of people in the pool and dining area. 

If you dont head back, then it wont matter. The values are fine to sleep at and grab a quick breakfast. The bus lines go quick bc there are so many people who need them

Now onto the dining plan. We went for a week in July. I kept every reciept amd spared no cost. Whatever and whenever the kids wanted something, they got it. We came out ahead by NOT getting the plan. Having said that, I love the meal plan and for free its a no brainer. 

Like others have already chimed in, you can do a lot of interesting things with the plan. Like we would often use our snacks for breakfast. Also, kids can eat off the adult menus. 

Have fun

Dragons said:
Yes, I know.

It's really the only available weekend my wife can get out of work, other than Christmas week.
Yeah....that would be a death sentence...melting is far more enjoyable than the week of hell.

Take this as pure speculation at this point, but it makes some interesting observations. A source is claiming that SW Rise of the Resistance ride could be 28 minutes long.

now to be realistic, Avitar's Flight of Passage is officially 20 minutes according to the post because of the 2 video rooms you enter before the actual ride. So with this, it may not be one continuous 28-minute ride, but a series of shorter rides which sounds really cool if the source is accurate. 

In Stella’s podcast, she says that Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge guests will board a transport that will take them into space and look through virtual windows revealing their journey to the Star Destroyer. Once aboard the trackless ride vehicle, riders will be taken as prisoners before they are rescued by the Resistance. Stella states that the ride vehicles will weave through two six-story AT-ATs while dodging laser blasts. The ride ends with a daring escape to the planet surface. Stella also mentions in her podcast that Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance is located in Disney’s largest building ever constructed for a dark ride.
the last line is very telling. I admit I've looked at the size of SW land in relation to other parts of the park and I've said, "Dahmmmm that land is really huge for only having 2 rides." Maybe now it's because of a 28-minute show building.  

Take this as pure speculation at this point, but it makes some interesting observations. A source is claiming that SW Rise of the Resistance ride could be 28 minutes long.

now to be realistic, Avitar's Flight of Passage is officially 20 minutes according to the post because of the 2 video rooms you enter before the actual ride. So with this, it may not be one continuous 28-minute ride, but a series of shorter rides which sounds really cool if the source is accurate. 

the last line is very telling. I admit I've looked at the size of SW land in relation to other parts of the park and I've said, "Dahmmmm that land is really huge for only having 2 rides." Maybe now it's because of a 28-minute show building.  
a 28 minute ride is something I wouldn't mind waiting a couple of hours for.  

I was reading about the use of Robotic Kuka Arm yesterday.    I had never heard of it, but I guess its the main tech used in one of the HP rides at Universal.  Part of what I was reading was that Universal had a 10 year lease on that particular tech, but that 10 year window is about to come to an end.  You think thats something Disney is going to use now?  Or have you heard about the 10 window year thing? It seems like speculation on what I read.   Looks pretty cool though.  

a 28 minute ride is something I wouldn't mind waiting a couple of hours for.  

I was reading about the use of Robotic Kuka Arm yesterday.    I had never heard of it, but I guess its the main tech used in one of the HP rides at Universal.  Part of what I was reading was that Universal had a 10 year lease on that particular tech, but that 10 year window is about to come to an end.  You think thats something Disney is going to use now?  Or have you heard about the 10 window year thing? It seems like speculation on what I read.   Looks pretty cool though.  
Its funny, WDW had the Kuka arm right in its backyard...there was a ride in Innoventions in Epcot where you could design your own roller coaster then jump in a Kuka and virtually ride it. I didnt know about the 10 year thing, but if true, then Disney has some serious egg on its face b/c that harry potter ride is freaking awesome. 

Have you been to Universal yet and ridden it? Hands down one of my fav rides b/c you move through the ride so effortlessly. Here is an animated video on how its done at HP. 

Edit: forgot the link, sorry 

https://youtu.be/Kz2zSdCQCcg

As for SW—no, I do not believe they are using the Kuka. This ride will be a trackless vehicle while I expect the Millennium Falcon ride to be more of a centrifuge or simulator like Star Tours

So, Im not going to lie, Disney>>>>Universal and its not even close. 

Almost every ride in Universal is motion video movement stuff like Avatar. I really hope Disney does not go this direction with all their future rides. It just got boring after a while. I also dont feel like I ever need to go back to Universal. While my kids are still talking about how awesome Incredicoaster, Matterhorn Bobsleds and Guardians of Galaxy were.

Just one mans opinion. Not really worth much. 

Almost every ride in Universal is motion video movement stuff like Avatar. I really hope Disney does not go this direction with all their future rides. It just got boring after a while. I also dont feel like I ever need to go back to Universal. While my kids are still talking about how awesome Incredicoaster, Matterhorn Bobsleds and Guardians of Galaxy were.

Universal Orlando > Disney > Universal California

Having been to all this is how I rank them

Idk.  Our family is at prime universal age.  They dig more thrill right now then historic.  But we do both, bc we love both. 

You're right. Universal is 90% screens, and there is an audience for that. But there is no reason that wdw can’t bring in “some” screen based rides.  I think it would do the Parks good to diversify and bring in those audiences who like that.  

Funny thing thogh you mention GoG in DCA, isn’t that screen based?  Screens wrapped around a free fall type ride.  Rattatoue coming to Epcot will be a screen based trackless ride.  And if i won lotto the first thing i would do is fly to Shanghai so I could ride their version of PotC.  It’s a boat ride that goes through rooms mixes with real props and screens 

Idk.  Our family is at prime universal age.  They dig more thrill right now then historic.  But we do both, bc we love both. 

You're right. Universal is 90% screens, and there is an audience for that. But there is no reason that wdw can’t bring in “some” screen based rides.  I think it would do the Parks good to diversify and bring in those audiences who like that.  

Funny thing thogh you mention GoG in DCA, isn’t that screen based?  Screens wrapped around a free fall type ride.  Rattatoue coming to Epcot will be a screen based trackless ride.  And if i won lotto the first thing i would do is fly to Shanghai so I could ride their version of PotC.  It’s a boat ride that goes through rooms mixes with real props and screens 
Video based, yes. However not motion based. You are really moving up and down.

My kids love thrills. Our kids are similar in age. I think Island of Adventure is more our speed. 

I am not against the video screen rides, but when its all you have like in Hollywood, it got stale and boring to me. Like I said, just my opinion. Here are the rides that were video movement simulated rides. Transformers, Simpsons, fast and furious, king kong (both on backlot tour), Harry Potter, Minions, Kung fu panda. Here are the rides that were not, Harry Potter hippograf and the mummy

We immediately rode the mummy again. The only other ride my kids wanted to do again was the Harry Potter ride and it was a 5 min wait. I waited online for the Olivanders wand shop and they rode the ride. 

My son got picked in the wand shop so that was pretty awesome. Disney would make even more money if they did something similar. 

Dont get me wrong, we had fun. It just felt like a let down after three days at Disney. 

For you off-site Parrot-heads—a week ago, Jimmy Buffet opened Margaritaville Resort Orlando just a few minutes outside the Animal Kingdom. 

Earlier today, the brand new $800 million Margaritaville Resort Orlando officially opened its doors and welcomed guests to the latest resort destination in Central Florida.

Located just a few minutes away from Disney's Animal Kingdom along Route 192, the resort destination spans over 300-acres and includes four main components: Margaritaville Hotel, Margaritaville Cottages, Sunset Walk shopping, dining and entertainment district and Island H2O Live! Waterpark.
more info in the link.

G

Its funny, WDW had the Kuka arm right in its backyard...there was a ride in Innoventions in Epcot where you could design your own roller coaster then jump in a Kuka and virtually ride it. I didnt know about the 10 year thing, but if true, then Disney has some serious egg on its face b/c that harry potter ride is freaking awesome. 

Have you been to Universal yet and ridden it? Hands down one of my fav rides b/c you move through the ride so effortlessly. Here is an animated video on how its done at HP. 

Edit: forgot the link, sorry 

https://youtu.be/Kz2zSdCQCcg

As for SW—no, I do not believe they are using the Kuka. This ride will be a trackless vehicle while I expect the Millennium Falcon ride to be more of a centrifuge or simulator like Star Tours
I have not ridden that ride at Universal.  Our only universal trip was pretty half assed.  We only did and afternoon at the original Universal.  Our next theme park trip will be there. 

Speaking of Disney using screens...give me a new peter pan ride with a bunch of screens and and the Kuka Arm.  

Ok, so family is vaguely thinking of a trip to LA in the future.  We would likely spend a week in LA/Cali and was thinking we add Disneyland as part of the trip.  So wondering if anyone has been to Disneyland?  Done the Disney World thing multiple times so feel like I know it well and this thread is so focused on Disney World.  A couple of quick questions.

- How many days do you need?  Was thinking you need three days but was wondering if you could do in 2.

- Is it worth staying on property?  We usually stay at Deluxe resorts at DisneyWorld but other than location I don't think those properties are really that nice for the money.  Imagine it would be good to be close to property and could envision staying at top hotel in LA proper for at least party of the trip.   

Assume a rental car is a must on any trip to LA and since we will be visiting friends as well we plan to do that.   

Don’t mean to step on your toes @Redwes25, but was just going to post (nearly) the identical thing!  Except, I’d like to not spend more than a day there with my wife and two daughters (7 and 3).  We’ll be in the area in mid-March.  Thinking about Dl on a Thursday.  

So adding on a question for those with DL experience, if we’re dojng just a single day, what should our itinerary be and or what would you recommend we do/avoid. Thanks for any and all advice.

Ok, so family is vaguely thinking of a trip to LA in the future.  We would likely spend a week in LA/Cali and was thinking we add Disneyland as part of the trip.  So wondering if anyone has been to Disneyland?  Done the Disney World thing multiple times so feel like I know it well and this thread is so focused on Disney World.  A couple of quick questions.

- How many days do you need?  Was thinking you need three days but was wondering if you could do in 2.

- Is it worth staying on property?  We usually stay at Deluxe resorts at DisneyWorld but other than location I don't think those properties are really that nice for the money.  Imagine it would be good to be close to property and could envision staying at top hotel in LA proper for at least party of the trip.   

Assume a rental car is a must on any trip to LA and since we will be visiting friends as well we plan to do that.   

Don’t mean to step on your toes @Redwes25, but was just going to post (nearly) the identical thing!  Except, I’d like to not spend more than a day there with my wife and two daughters (7 and 3).  We’ll be in the area in mid-March.  Thinking about Dl on a Thursday.  

So adding on a question for those with DL experience, if we’re dojng just a single day, what should our itinerary be and or what would you recommend we do/avoid. Thanks for any and all advice.
hey guys.

We were just there two weeks ago

Disneyland is much smaller than the Magic Kingdom. There are two parks. We went on days that were labeled 7 and 8 on the crowd calendar and we were able to pretty much do everything we wanted in two days. We used the third to hit DL again and hit the few things we missed plus favorites.

The key was our dominant use of time and fast pass plus. Unlike in DW, you have to pay to make fast passes on th eapp in DL. It was $10 until January when they bumped it to $15 per ticket. Absolutely worth the $60 per day for us. When we entered the park (not at rope drop, but close) we immediately headed to Jungle Cruise, Pirates and Indiana Jones. Knocked that out in 30 minutes or so with zero waits. We then started hitting fast passes like Space Mountain. The rest of our day was basically just hitting our fast passes and going to rides with no wait.

Our California Adventure day was also smooth. At rope drop, my daughter and I booked it to Guardians of Galaxy while my wife and son did Mike and Sully. We fastpassed Radiator Springs immediately and rode maters ride while we waited. Did Incredicoaster or 4 times as it was my sons favorite. Go on at night, it is much better. Also buy a jac jac cookie num num when you get off the ride. They are really good

Anyway, the answer toy our question is yes. Each park can be done in a day if you maximize time and fast pass. Also check for deals on tickets. Our three day ticket was cheaper than the two day one so we got the extra day for free

Let me know if you have any other questions

Oh, staying on site. We are going to Europe this summer and also did Universal so we did a budget vacation this time. We stayed at a travel lodge that is a 10 minute walk to the parks. It was 100 a day. My wife looked at me one day on the walk home and said next time we come, we are staying in Grand Californian or Paradise Pier. We stayed at PP last time we went. I would compare it with a value resort. The Grand Californian would be a deluxe resort. We walked through the GC every day to get to Downtown Disney and then the parks. They closed the entrance our last day and when I got to the main gate, I told them we were going to the character breakfast and did not have reservations. They let us in but the people behind us werent quick on their toes like me. They made them walk back to the street and cross to enter through Downtown Disney

If you have the money, staying on site is nice, but you dont get the perks like at DW

@AcerFC Awesome insight, many thanks! A couple quick follow up questions:

- Considering DL wasn’t the basis for this trip, we were hoping to give our 3 and 7 year old daughters their first taste of Disney with just a single day there.  They’re more into the princesses and well known characters, probably not so much into Guardians of the Galaxy, Pirates, Indiana Jones, etc.  Not saying if those things are incredibly cool that they wouldn’t enjoy, just full disclosure.  Would you recommend one of the parks over the other if we’re doing just one day?  Anything in particular we need to be sure they see/do that one day?

- What’s the crowd calendar?

Thanks again!

I've been to DL many times.  Acer is right, both Disneyland and CA Adventure Park can each be done in 1 day.

Re hotels - the Grand Californian is the best place to stay, and the most expensive.  It (along with the other Disney resorts) gives you a 1 hour headstart in the parks each day.  The GC is also ideally located, and some of the rooms look onto the CA Adventure Park, so you can watch the light show over the lake at night from your room.  If money is not a concern, then that's where you stay.

But the City of Anaheim has a really good shuttle bus system and so any of the hotels in the Disney area are easily accessible with the City bus system.  You may also be able to find a hotel on Harbor Blvd. - there's a Marriott Courtyard, Fairfield Inn and a Howard Johnson on Harbor Blvd. that are, literally, directly across the street from the park - much closer than Disney Hotel or PP.  I don't think the Disney Hotel or PP are worth the price - they're dated hotels, expensive, and you have to walk through Downtown Disney to get to the main entrance to the park (you can also take the monorail from Downtown Disney, which is somewhat close to the DL hotel).

I go a couple times each year, and I stay at the Mariott on Harbor & Katella.  It's only a 10 min. walk to the park, and if you catch the bus at the right time, you're there in 5 min.

I also think the extra bucks to use the Disney app-based fast pass system is worth the price - and its the only way you'll be able to do 15+ popular rides in one day.

If your kids want to see princesses, I recommend signing up for the princess breakfast at Ariel's Grotto in CA Adventure Park.  You eat breakfast and all of the princesses walk aroudn the room meeting each kid, taking pictures, etc.  It's more convenient than lining up in various places throughout the park for a meet/greet (those lines are sometimes really long).

SayWhat? said:
@AcerFC Awesome insight, many thanks! A couple quick follow up questions:

- Considering DL wasn’t the basis for this trip, we were hoping to give our 3 and 7 year old daughters their first taste of Disney with just a single day there.  They’re more into the princesses and well known characters, probably not so much into Guardians of the Galaxy, Pirates, Indiana Jones, etc.  Not saying if those things are incredibly cool that they wouldn’t enjoy, just full disclosure.  Would you recommend one of the parks over the other if we’re doing just one day?  Anything in particular we need to be sure they see/do that one day?

- What’s the crowd calendar?

Thanks again!
Definitely do Disneyland over California Adventure. All of fantasyland would be awesome for them.

There was also princesses to take pictures with. One way to get some of the more popular characters is with a character breakfast. they offer a few if you want to go that route. 

Crowd calendars say how busy DL should be the days you go. 

https://touringplans.com/disneyland-resort/crowd-calendar

Users who are viewing this thread