What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do We Really Believe That The BLM/Antifa Riots Happened Like A Line Change In Hockey? (1 Viewer)

I have yet to see one that was actual proof. 

And I have never claimed that the groups of protesters and rioters were water tight and had no overlap. As I noted earlier, I am sure there were some out of the 50,000 who marched in L.A. that came for the protests and stayed for the riots - but, we are talking of a small number out of literally thousands who peacefully protested and then went home. 
You literally have ZERO way to know this.  Zero. 

Someone could counter with  "The majority of the BLM Protesters were antifa"  and it would be the same as what you just said.  Nothing more than speculation on your part.

dont believe Antifa exists anymore than i believe the storming of the capital was more than FasciCon DC (tho i do believe the President wished it was more). pathetic people making noise. i was relieved that the tyranny we have been rehearsing these last few years mustered into what can only be described as the revolutionary equivalent of a premature ejaculation.

I'd rather talk about the real message buried underneath what we're talking about instead of these kind of unanswerable squabbles about the motivations of everyone that went out to the rallies. 

I think all reasonable people can agree that some people came out and engaged in political expression, some people came out and engaged in lawlessness, and some people did both.

It seems to me like it's a deliberate strategy by BLM critics to try to blur the lines between these groups so that they can say "Don't listen to what those protesters have to say!  They're a bunch of criminals and radical anarchists!"

But I don't think it really makes a lot of sense to dismiss or diminish the views of peaceful protesters based on what the non-peaceful folks were doing. 

dont believe Antifa exists anymore than i believe the storming of the capital was more than FasciCon DC (tho i do believe the President wished it was more). pathetic people making noise. i was relieved that the tyranny we have been rehearsing these last few years mustered into what can only be described as the revolutionary equivalent of a premature ejaculation.
Actually, wik, if you read the New Yorker article about Portland, you'd probably come away thinking it was very real and that it exists. As a revolutionary force like you're getting at, maybe not, but enough to cause serious policing and order problems.

FasciCon DC is a very apt way of putting what happened in DC, though. These were people that stayed inside the ropes once they bashed their way into the Capitol, taking pictures of the documents, marbled floors, and protected cornices like anime adherents back at the nice hotel they were staying at in Boston. They were really faking and playing revolutionary, though they were a scary bunch regardless and did a ton of damage.

It seems to me like it's a deliberate strategy by BLM critics to try to blur the lines between these groups so that they can say "Don't listen to what those protesters have to say!  They're a bunch of criminals and radical anarchists!"
I'm honestly not. I don't support the BLM message because it, to me, is rooted in an academic Marxism that is anathema to American values. That does not mean BLM is full of criminals and radical anarchists. They're full of Marxists and tendentious arguments and people that have seemed, and almost provably so, to turn violent when the situation is deemed bad enough so as to be violent. That's what I'm saying. You can't divorce the summer riots from Antifa and BLM any more than you can divorce the DC storming from the Proud Boys and other various right-wing groups. Whether sanctioned or not at the organizational level, members of those organizations both left and right played their role in each uprising. It would seem to beggar belief that in time, place, and location that this was just mere happenstance, as tim and squistion claim it to be. That the protests happened during the day but the freaks, to quote Whodini, came out at night. Not a chance, if you ask me.

I'd rather talk about the real message buried underneath what we're talking about instead of these kind of unanswerable squabbles about the motivations of everyone that went out to the rallies. 

I think all reasonable people can agree that some people came out and engaged in political expression, some people came out and engaged in lawlessness, and some people did both.

But I don't think it really makes a lot of sense to dismiss or diminish the views of peaceful protesters based on what the non-peaceful folks were doing. 
So why did the protests stop in so many cities?   We had a pretty heinous shooting of an unarmed black man by a white cop a couple of months ago.  It was caught on video.  Nowhere near the protests as last summer. IMO, it was much worse than the Taylor incident.  It did happen after the election.  

The targeted outrage and ensuing riots in the run up to the election seemed staged. 

Actually, wik, if you read the New Yorker article about Portland, you'd probably come away thinking it was very real and that it exists. As a revolutionary force like you're getting at, maybe not, but enough to cause serious policing and order problems.

pathetic people making noise.
both sides suffering from MLK's Drum Major Syndrome. when somebody does sumn real and are all "we did that", i'll start to believe we got some revolt at play. garage-band militias still gotta pay for 1/6 and i'm glad, but i'm gladder they were that poorly realized cuz they got ALL the frikkin guns.

linky on NYer story?

both sides suffering from MLK's Drum Major Syndrome. when somebody does sumn real and are all "we did that", i'll start to believe we got some revolt at play. garage-band militias still gotta pay for 1/6 and i'm glad, but i'm gladder they were that poorly realized cuz they got ALL the frikkin guns.

linky on NYer story?
Probably nothing like the widespread discontent of the sixties, but the violence is certainly real. It takes fewer to start these days, it seems, when the method is violence and revolutionary acts of armed people power against elected officials. Dig the part where they go to the mayor's practice and start smashing windows and threatening property and, by extension, person. 

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/11/02/trump-antifa-movement-portland

As for the bold font, What is worrisome to me is how a serious group with arms could have easily commandeered the Capitol and wrought destruction like never before in history, but since the people there were there for FasciCon and its accordant temperament, we avoided it. Divine Providence or simple incompetence? You decide. 

And the militias do have ALL the frikkin guns. I'm thinking about getting a few myself because stuck between a choice of Antifa and the Proud Boys, my preference is to fire into the air and let it land wherever it may.

Probably nothing like the widespread discontent of the sixties, but the violence is certainly real. It takes fewer to start these days, it seems, when the method is violence and revolutionary acts of armed people power against elected officials. Dig the part where they go to the mayor's practice and start smashing windows and threatening property and, by extension, person. 

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/11/02/trump-antifa-movement-portland

As for the bold font, What is worrisome to me is how a serious group with arms could have easily commandeered the Capitol and wrought destruction like never before in history, but since the people there were there for FasciCon and its accordant temperament, we avoided it. Divine Providence or simple incompetence? You decide. 

And the militias do have ALL the frikkin guns. I'm thinking about getting a few myself because stuck between a choice of Antifa and the Proud Boys, my preference is to fire into the air and let it land wherever it may.
when i came back to FFA after 3 yrs away in '16, one of the first things i did was take a pole asking if my vision of Sarah Palins behind machine-gun turrets of MadMax jeeps roaming the countryside might be possible in my lifetime (estimated then as a decade). not a single yes vote. did it again a coupla yrs ago. 15%. whatcha think it might be now?

youre right its nothing like the 60s. we knew "how" no better than these bozos, but we had "why" and a lotta "what" down pat (and w a lot less help from the Soviet than you imagine).

thx for linky

Users who are viewing this thread