What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you hoard credit card points? (1 Viewer)

Just got an email that my stupid Natural Gas provider will no longer accept CCs (Debit or Credit) for payment without a 3% charge. Really gonna piss me off if this is the wave of the future
Son's school did the same this year w/ tuition.
Can you pay cash or write a check? This seems like BS if those options are not available.
Schools usually accept checks.

For utilities I'm sure they would happily autodraft monthly straight from your bank account. Snail mailing a check costs a stamp. Cash payments are accepted at check cashing stores. There's a processing fee, around $2 here.

Last edited:
PayPal MC nerfing the 2% cash back to 1.5% starting 07/31 in case anyone uses that as their catch-all. I’m all-in on a points strategy now so whatever but just giving a heads-up.

PayPal MC nerfing the 2% cash back to 1.5% starting 07/31 in case anyone uses that as their catch-all. I’m all-in on a points strategy now so whatever but just giving a heads-up.
Fluz to Paypal was also super high risk of a SD both from PP and issuers. You hitting this hard or just subs?

Fluz to Paypal was also super high risk of a SD both from PP and issuers. You hitting this hard or just subs?

I don’t understand the first part of your post at all. I tend to focus on SUBs. When not working on a SUB I do hit categories, but I might go with a specific program if they're the only one with a transfer partner I know I am going to use soon. I try to use Rakuten and a lot of other stuff, too. Trying to understand how the Wyndham Business/Caesar's match/free cruises thing works but I'm probably a year away from that. Also my partner refers to me, me to her so we're a 2 player.

Business class to Spain in March!

Last edited:

I don’t understand the first part of your post at all. I tend to focus on SUBs. When not working on a SUB I do hit categories, but I might go with a specific program if they're the only one with a transfer partner I know I am going to use soon. I try to use Rakuten and a lot of other stuff, too. Trying to understand how the Wyndham Business/Caesar's match/free cruises thing works but I'm probably a year away from that. Also my partner refers to me, me to her so we're a 2 player.

Ok. PPMC is a known strategy for those doing 7 figures of MS. It's also very high risk in volumes north of 50k a month.

Ok. PPMC is a known strategy for those doing 7 figures of MS. It's also very high risk in volumes north of 50k a month.
Oh. yeah, no. I do well for my means but not that crazy. More than enough that I pretty much don't pay for vacations anymore and won't go below business class if there's an ocean involved.

Oh. yeah, no. I do well for my means but not that crazy. More than enough that I pretty much don't pay for vacations anymore and won't go below business class if there's an ocean involved.
This is manufactured spending. I do 2mil a year in MS. Mostly fluz.

Say you only meet your minimum spending requirement for a new card by making a big purchase, you receive your bonus and then a few months later you return that big purchase, do they rescind your bonus?

Getting a bit soured on Chase. Booked a hotel with points and cash with Chase. Hotel said payment from Chase did not go through, and they charged my credit card for the stay. Called Chase Travel to report and thought it would be quick resolution with refund, but dragging on for a week now with no resolution yet. Has this happened to anyone else?

Say you only meet your minimum spending requirement for a new card by making a big purchase, you receive your bonus and then a few months later you return that big purchase, do they rescind your bonus?

Depends on the issuer. AMEX might, most others probably won’t. They all might shut the card down or something, though, but there’s no way to know for sure.

Getting a bit soured on Chase. Booked a hotel with points and cash with Chase. Hotel said payment from Chase did not go through, and they charged my credit card for the stay. Called Chase Travel to report and thought it would be quick resolution with refund, but dragging on for a week now with no resolution yet. Has this happened to anyone else?
Would just do a charge back tbh. Never heard of this since they moved agencies. I suspect the hotel is trying to screw you. I've had a hotel pull that crap before and cleaned it up before checkout.

When they were with clarity or whatever for travel it was sketchy as hell

Very much depends. Citi will flat shut you down, amex will claw back, and chase seemingly will let it happen.

This is a reason to have fluz.

Would just do a charge back tbh. Never heard of this since they moved agencies. I suspect the hotel is trying to screw you. I've had a hotel pull that crap before and cleaned it up before checkout.

They told me their vendor for this one was Priceline. They were unable to get it cleaned up before check out, so still stuck with it on my credit card.

They told me their vendor for this one was Priceline. They were unable to get it cleaned up before check out, so still stuck with it on my credit card.
Charge it back.

What's a good sign-up bonus out there right now with a high spend required that would normally be tough to hit? We are replacing all the windows on our house and they are letting us charge it to a card with no extra fee. Figured I may as well get some nice CC sign-up bonus out of it.

Already have the AMEX Platinum.

What's a good sign-up bonus out there right now with a high spend required that would normally be tough to hit? We are replacing all the windows on our house and they are letting us charge it to a card with no extra fee. Figured I may as well get some nice CC sign-up bonus out of it.

I did Ink business with chase 100k points 8k min spend a few months ago. Not sure if it’s still active

NLL ABP run a $20k for 250k. If you need one hit me up in the pm

I did Ink business with chase 100k points 8k min spend a few months ago. Not sure if it’s still active

CIP now higher with self referral boosted.

Best bonus I ever received was when Marriott Bonvoy was offering five free nights. Ended up booking five nights in a boutique hotel in Honolulu for just the fees. Ended up being about a $1300 bonus.

what is that?

what is that?

Stewardess - I speak culdeus. I think that’s No Lifetime Language American Express Business Platinum. The NLL means you can get a welcome bonus for the same card again later.

I've got two credit cards with Capital One, a travel one and a general spending one. Usually I use the general spending one because the edge on points is a bit better with it.

Anyway, CapOne just sent me an email saying they're reviewing accounts and might lower my credit limit on my lesser-used travel card. I'd rather not lose the limit I'm at... there's a note in the email that I can call to opt-out of the review if I expect to increase my spending on that card in the near future.

Just curious if anyone's gone through that process and knows what the deal is. Is it fully automated to get out of having them change the limit? Is there an obligation or strategy to meet a certain spend within a certain amount of time to get out of it?

Worst case I guess if they lower the limit I'd ask to transfer some of the limit from one card to the other but I'd rather not go through that process.

I've got two credit cards with Capital One, a travel one and a general spending one. Usually I use the general spending one because the edge on points is a bit better with it.

Anyway, CapOne just sent me an email saying they're reviewing accounts and might lower my credit limit on my lesser-used travel card. I'd rather not lose the limit I'm at... there's a note in the email that I can call to opt-out of the review if I expect to increase my spending on that card in the near future.

Just curious if anyone's gone through that process and knows what the deal is. Is it fully automated to get out of having them change the limit? Is there an obligation or strategy to meet a certain spend within a certain amount of time to get out of it?

Worst case I guess if they lower the limit I'd ask to transfer some of the limit from one card to the other but I'd rather not go through that process.
I’d cancel it all together but hate ultimatums lol

120k now. https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/DAO/ink-business/universal/preferred/24/120

Haha yeah but I'm playing a bit of a game with utilization and average-age-of-accounts, so it's worth way, way more to me to me to maintain a large, barely used line than the alternatives

Transferring lines isn't a big deal with them. Would do this proactively.

Or just get on the ink train. CO has some big biz cards you can get thru a banker, but for ongoing spend it's nothing special. Their travel portal is really rough too I find, having to cash out 500k or so thru them on various things, they simply can't even get GD names right.

When hitting them again will probably just dump to AVA or Quantas or something along those lines.

Haha yeah but I'm playing a bit of a game with utilization and average-age-of-accounts, so it's worth way, way more to me to me to maintain a large, barely used line than the alternatives

Util doesn't really hit you until you go to 50% on one line. Having a bunch of coffee charges on one card that is 10 years old doesn't move the needle. AAOA really is only a consideration where your age is like 30, and is calculated differently at different banks. Some cap at 10 years, some hold canceled cards as AAOA out to 10 years then they roll off, some never roll off. Amex doesn't give a flying **** about AAOA.

For churning purposes, inquiries matter a lot more than AAOA. And for churning your util should be basically 0, just charge on biz card and never have any util.

Util doesn't really hit you until you go to 50% on one line. Having a bunch of coffee charges on one card that is 10 years old doesn't move the needle. AAOA really is only a consideration where your age is like 30, and is calculated differently at different banks. Some cap at 10 years, some hold canceled cards as AAOA out to 10 years then they roll off, some never roll off. Amex doesn't give a flying **** about AAOA.

Heh yeah that kind of is the game I'm playing, not churning. Unfortunately amex and biz cards don't work in my game.

Heh yeah that kind of is the game I'm playing, not churning. Unfortunately amex and biz cards don't work in my game.

Sucks for you. I like free money.

My game earns free money too, don't get me wrong. It runs parallel to churning in a way, but I know there's a vocal contingent of this board against it for whatever reason, so it doesn't get discussed much as the alternative strategy here.

My game earns free money too, don't get me wrong. It runs parallel to churning in a way, but I know there's a vocal contingent of this board against it for whatever reason, so it doesn't get discussed much as the alternative strategy here.
You buy stuff that doesn't really exist and get the money back? I do 1-2 Mil a year in that also.

You buy stuff that doesn't really exist and get the money back? I do 1-2 Mil a year in that also.

lol no

Look, I know my game is frowned upon to discuss it here, but the credit cards question is just as valid to churners I would think. Both games run parallel, what I'm doing is like the second phase. If this thread is only for churning strategy, though, I'll just see myself out.

lol no

Look, I know my game is frowned upon to discuss it here, but the credit cards question is just as valid to churners I would think. Both games run parallel, what I'm doing is like the second phase. If this thread is only for churning strategy, though, I'll just see myself out.
Idk why whatever you're hinting at is thought as frowned upon but I'd be interested to learn.

lol no

Phase 1 get cards
Phase 2 spend money on cards
Phase 3 profit.

Is it political? Is it yoga pants? If it's neither of those things, then do share!

Is it political? Is it yoga pants? If it's neither of those things, then do share!
Actually, please also share yoga pants. By DM is necessary.

I like free money. I also have no idea how to get a business card without owning my own business.
Is there any place for me to learn these secrets? :oldunsure:

I like free money. I also have no idea how to get a business card without owning my own business.
Is there any place for me to learn these secrets? :oldunsure:

Lots of travel blog websites related to churning, personally I’d stay away from The Points Guy but that will always be the first option that comes up in your search window (his SEO is strong.) When I was getting started some of the folks in this thread put me on to the site Dr of Credit and the Reddit Churning subgroup. Great resources

Lots of travel blog websites related to churning, personally I’d stay away from The Points Guy but that will always be the first option that comes up in your search window (his SEO is strong.) When I was getting started some of the folks in this thread put me on to the site Dr of Credit and the Reddit Churning subgroup. Great resources

Why do you stay away from that site? It's been a good reference for me, but I'm pretty new to this myself and very much playing at an amateur level so far with just the Amex Platinum, Sapphire Preferred, and player 2 Sapphire Preferred. Wanting to dip my toe in the Ink world here as soon as we have that SUB on that P2 card taken care of.

Why do you stay away from that site? It's been a good reference for me, but I'm pretty new to this myself and very much playing at an amateur level so far with just the Amex Platinum, Sapphire Preferred, and player 2 Sapphire Preferred. Wanting to dip my toe in the Ink world here as soon as we have that SUB on that P2 card taken care of.
TPG is great for beginning, but it's kind of got a rep as bought and paid for, and not super nuanced, and very advertising-y/sales-y.

Users who are viewing this thread