What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you like having starters playing Monday nights? (1 Viewer)

JuniorNB

Footballguy
If I'm on the fence regarding who to start, I'll often lean towards the guy who plays Monday night. I guess, in my mind, I like having a last chance to pull it out if I'm behind.

I'm not sure why I do that, since I get up at 4:30 AM and like going to bed at halftime on the Monday night game. It usually leads me to stay up later than I want to hoping my guy scores or gets the yardage I need. So, I usually hate having a guy on Monday night, but tend to choose one whenever I can. A true oxymoron.

What about you guys? You like having a player or two playing Monday night?

If I'm on the fence regarding who to start, I'll often lean towards the guy who plays Monday night. I guess, in my mind, I like having a last chance to pull it out if I'm behind.

I'm not sure why I do that, since I get up at 4:30 AM and like going to bed at halftime on the Monday night game. It usually leads me to stay up later than I want to hoping my guy scores or gets the yardage I need. So, I usually hate having a guy on Monday night, but tend to choose one whenever I can. A true oxymoron.

What about you guys? You like having a player or two playing Monday night?
I like to go with the guy who I think has the best chance of scoring the most points. I don't really give a #### what day of the week they play.

Of course if there is an unknown about whether or not they are going to start, then a 1pm Sunday game is best, so that you can go down the wire with the decision.

I generally enjoy when I have starters playing on Monday night because I can watch their game in its entirety. And when it's a crap snoozefest of a game I don't care about, at least I have that to watch.

I don't make my decision on whether or not they play on Monday night but I certainly like having guys on Monday night. What I don't like is being done for the week and my opponents having guys playing on Monday night. I've taken some tough loses over the years due to my opponents getting late Monday night scores from their guys.

Playing on MNF is just a bonus, but like people have said it's all about the matchups. Don't care if they play on MNF.

Now....Thursday night is a completely different story. Offenses generally suck on Thursdays.

Also mixed. Gives me a reason to watch if I don't care about the teams, but want to see a certain player.

As mentioned, the biggest drawback is if a guy is iffy injury-wise, and you don't have the luxury by Sunday games to see if a MNF player is healthy/in the lineup.

CONSPIRACY THEORY ALERT: I think there is a weird phenomenon in effect where Thursday night players don't live up to their game and Monday Night players always seem to generate a little extra so I generally, be it right or wrong, will push my guys back to MNF if its a coin-flip decision (obviously, I am not sitting Spiller on Thursday night just so I can play BJGE on Monday).

Play the guys you think will score the most points. No other criteria matters. If you play a lesser player on Monday night just because you are psyched into thinking you are the underdog, you lost the battle already.

Additionally, I'm pretty sure FBG kinda covered this in an article awhile back. The theory was that you should target players who play on MNF more than average for the season, or lean towards starting MNF players more...with the reasoning behind that theory being that teams tended to score higher, that the bright lights and attention brought out the performance of the offensive players, and that the extra day of rest and prep aided the offense.

Their results actually slightly indicated the opposite, looking at it from a points scored by team perspective, IIRC, seemingly the extra prep day aided the defense more than the offense.

The only time it matters is when a player is listed as questionable.

Thursday games however, I'll take the Sunday player over the Thursday if I'm 50/50 on a flex option. Thursday games stink

Users who are viewing this thread