What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Doctor Strange Film - 11/4/16 (1 Viewer)

I thought it was just ok. The special effects were great but it was just another paint by numbers story. Normal guy has a an issue in first act. Second act he discovers his superpower. 2.5 act somebody close to him dies. Third act he saves the world. 

They could stand to shake things up a little. It's getting boring. I actually fell asleep during the big fight scene at the end. 

For those wondering where every one is, here is the list

Space Stone: on Asgard (originally in the Tesseract)

Mind Stone: On Earth in Vision's Head (originally in Loki's Scepter)

Reality Stone: In Knowhere with the Collector (this was the liquid Aether)

Power Stone: On Xander in the Nova Core vault

Time Stone: On Earth in Kamar Library with Wong and Dr Strange

The sixth stone is has not yet been revealed

I thought it was just ok. The special effects were great but it was just another paint by numbers story. Normal guy has a an issue in first act. Second act he discovers his superpower. 2.5 act somebody close to him dies. Third act he saves the world. 

They could stand to shake things up a little. It's getting boring. I actually fell asleep during the big fight scene at the end. 
That was my feeling during Ant Man - loved it but the fighting was so boring.  We know the good guy is going to win so tighten these fights up.

Anyone want to take a crack at the time frame of the movie?

One thing that I should have realized but did not during the movie was that everything we were watching was actually occurring in the past based on the current MCU.

We know that Strange gets hurt, has an lengthy period of rehab and an even longer period where he trains (this could be years for all we know).

We also know that it was all the way back in Captain America 2 that Strange was first revealed to have powers and be a danger to Hydra so even at that point in time the ending from Dr Strange may already have occurred since he would then be known as the new Sorcerer Supreme.

Any thoughts?

Strange seems to be taking a provincial attitude towards superheroes.  Might cause problems later on.

Anyone want to take a crack at the time frame of the movie?

One thing that I should have realized but did not during the movie was that everything we were watching was actually occurring in the past based on the current MCU.

We know that Strange gets hurt, has an lengthy period of rehab and an even longer period where he trains (this could be years for all we know).

We also know that it was all the way back in Captain America 2 that Strange was first revealed to have powers and be a danger to Hydra so even at that point in time the ending from Dr Strange may already have occurred since he would then be known as the new Sorcerer Supreme.

Any thoughts?
Fortunately, someone already took a crack at it.

here is another quote that crushed my original theory.

In a recent interview, Kevin Feige revealed that Strange likely does not have any powers yet during the events of Captain America: The Winter Soldier, as Project Insight was designed to anticipate future threats, not just catalogue current ones. He said, that, at this point Strange is "probably not... the sorcerer supreme," but is an "unbelievably talented neurosurgeon who's opinionated and kind of arrogant... [which] might put him on the list."

Very much enjoyed it. Great visuals,  solid enough story.

Disappointed Giacchino plagiarized his Star Trek theme so blatantly. 

Fun movie. Reminded me of ant man. Nothing groundbreaking but very enjoyable. Special effects were amazing.

Anybody besides EYLive and Arsenal of Doom see this in 3D (probably not seeing in IMAX but local big screen)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw it IMAX 3D.  I thought the graphics were pretty cool, but outside of Strange I really didn't like the characters.  Individually I like these actors, but in this one they just felt bland.  Typical intro story, non descript bad guys, and their weird initial heist seemed to be just a setup for a joke at the end.

For the most part I have been happy with how they have juggled and maintained the time line through so many movies.  Sure there is a nit pick or two but for the most part it was well done.

As such I am reaally unhappy that the director of Dr Strange in an interview said that the events in the Dr Strange movie take place in just 12 months.   Even for a fantasy movie it is hard to imagine that Strange got injured, went through numerous surgeries, went through numerous rehabs, goes to Tibet, goes through what was suppose to be a very long process of learning sorcery, and eventually growing into a master role in such a short time period.

It does not feel like they thought through this one too well.

Speaking of timeline, did you guys catch the semi reference to War Machine?

Before Strange got into the accident, he is on the phone discussing possible cases. One case was described as a marine colonel with a spine injury from an experimental armor accident.

The age of the patient seemed too young for War Machine but the rest was close.

Before Strange got into the accident, he is on the phone discussing possible cases. One case was described as a marine colonel with a spine injury from an experimental armor accident.

Was wondering if those were Easter eggs to marvel characters

I thought that was a reference to guy hurt in the Hammer Tech armor in IM2

Went to see it again today with the family. I noticed in one of the early apartment scenes they show an award from 2016. It's also an Air Force Col. that had the spine injury from the experimental armor, pretty sure that had to be Rhodes although it seems a stretch for him to still be 35. 

Couldn't be Rhodes. Avengers tower seen in the beginning and Rhodes got hurt in CA3 where they no longer use the avengers tower. It was before ca3. Or so I read.

shadyridr said:
Couldn't be Rhodes. Avengers tower seen in the beginning and Rhodes got hurt in CA3 where they no longer use the avengers tower. It was before ca3. Or so I read.
All other interesting theories based on the hints in the movie were made invalid because of the directors recent comments.  From the time the movie starts until he talks to Thor, one year has past, which allows him to catch up to the timeline of the rest of the movies.

I wish it was more in the 3 year time frame as that would make more sense to me based on how many things happen in the movie.

shadyridr said:
Yeah, just read that the director says it's neither Rhodes nor the test-pilot from IM2. 

Glad I took the suggestions and saw it in IMAX 3D, well worth it for that. In fact, I think it would be a poorer experience if not seen in 3D at least.

Another solid entry, nothing too ground breaking storywise but some crazy visual effects, some good humor but not as funny as Ant-Man or GOTG IMO. I'd put it around Thor 1 which is in my lower tier of marvel films (but well above Hulk and IM3.) I too felt like they rushed the training scenes far too much as well. Even though they have specific dialogue around how it will take lots of time and study he seems to become a master in a very short amount of time. Think it would have made more sense to have references made to Avenger events such as Sokovia or the "Civil War" taking place while he's training to give it more a feeling like at least some time had passed. Also liked how they worked in yet another Infinity Stone into the mix.

End credits scenes:

They've already finished filming Thor Ragnarok, wondering if that scene came from the movie like they did with the Ant Man extra credit scene that was from Civil War? Also, not familiar with Dr Strange or Mordo from the comics, is Mordo a villain? Edit: Google answered my question on Mordo, guessing he will be the villain in the next Dr Strange, too bad, like that actor a lot and marvel like's to kill their villians.

Glad I took the suggestions and saw it in IMAX 3D, well worth it for that. In fact, I think it would be a poorer experience if not seen in 3D at least.
As it unfolded, I was ticked off that I was watching it in 2D.  I knew I was missing out big time in several scenes.  Making it a point to check it out in 3D this week.

As it unfolded, I was ticked off that I was watching it in 2D.  I knew I was missing out big time in several scenes.  Making it a point to check it out in 3D this week.
Thanks to all the reviews highly recommending 3D (almost a genre unto itself which I appreciate when done well).

Not just visually stunning, but imaginatively, too - it was like being inside an Escher exploded topology. I didn't know the back story well enough to be disappointed in how close or not the screenplay came.

Thought I was seeing it at the local big screen in 3D, but it moved to the smaller screen this week. I may see it a second time at IMAX, and I rarely see movies twice in their initial theatrical run. 

Forgot to mention, but great use of circa-Syd Barrett era Pink Floyd's Interstellar Overdrive in the soundtrack near the beginning of the movie, one of my favorites of the band (easily favorite early song).

‘Doctor Strange’: How VFX Tapped ‘Inception’ for a New Marvel Dimension

Marvel's trippiest superhero movie opened new VFX dimensions inspired by comic book artist Steve Ditko and Christopher Nolan's Oscar-winning mind-bender.

http://www.indiewire.com/2016/11/doctor-strange-vfx-inception-marvel-1201746270/

Marvel has never won a visual effects Oscar. ‘Doctor Strange’ should break that streak.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2016/11/10/marvel-has-never-won-a-visual-effects-oscar-doctor-strange-should-break-that-streak/

How ILM Made Those Insane Bending Buildings in ‘Doctor Strange’

By Ian Failes | 11/20/2016 2:33 pm |

One of the most enchanting scenes in Marvel’s newest superhero film, Doctor Strange, is a chase sequence that plays out amongst a mass of twisting and bending buildings in New York City. A team of designers, previs and visual effects artists looked to M.C. Escher-like imagery and an array of fractal and Mandelbrot patterns for inspiration to help create the chase.

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/vfx/ilm-made-insane-bending-buildings-doctor-strange-144770.html

'Doctor Strange' Review: Benedict Cumberbatch's Marvel Debut Casts a Spell

The comic book Sorcerer Surpreme comes to the big screen – and his origin story is a psychedelic stunner (3.5 of four stars)

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/reviews/peter-travers-doctor-strange-movie-review-w446970

Review: ‘Doctor Strange’ and His Most Excellent Adventure

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/04/movies/doctor-strange-review.html?_r=0

* Doctor Strange Soars Past Ant-Man at the Worldwide Box Office (could finish just outside Marvel's top 5 box offices) 

http://movieweb.com/doctor-strange-beats-ant-man-box-office-global/

"Currently, Doctor Strange sits in 10th place in terms of the global box office take for MCU movies, with The Avengers at the top with $1.5 billion. It seems likely that Doctor Strange could wind up overtaking Thor: The Dark World in the number seven spot, which managed to gross $644 million. But if things go really well, the number six spot could be in sight, which currently belongs to Captain America: The Winter Soldier with $714 million."

Yup, steaming on Netflix because it's a steaming pile of donkey turds.
Or, and this is more likely, because all the other MCU movies (with the exception of GotGv2) have streamed on Netflix.  Depending on your region, most are not on there (from what I read, because of deals with cable companies or something), but I still see Civil War here in the US.  And I know that most if not all of the others have been on there at some point.

Users who are viewing this thread