What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Donte Whitner changing his name to 'Hitner' (1 Viewer)

hotlanta

Footballguy
Huh?

49ers SS Donte Whitner has filed official paperwork to change his last name to "Hitner."
"That's what I do. It's my last name and removing a letter makes it pretty cool," he said. One of the league's poster boys for illegal hits on defenseless receivers, Whitner was most recently fined $21,000 for his shot on Chris Givens last Thursday night. He's hoping to get the change implemented on his jersey by this Sunday. Once it happens, Whitner will reportedly have to purchase all the remaining inventory of merchandise with his old name on it.

Why do this on the tail end of your career?

So since they list the position and then the last name in the media guide and many other areas, he'll be listed as:

S Hitner

:mellow:

Huh?

49ers SS Donte Whitner has filed official paperwork to change his last name to "Hitner."
"That's what I do. It's my last name and removing a letter makes it pretty cool," he said. One of the league's poster boys for illegal hits on defenseless receivers, Whitner was most recently fined $21,000 for his shot on Chris Givens last Thursday night. He's hoping to get the change implemented on his jersey by this Sunday. Once it happens, Whitner will reportedly have to purchase all the remaining inventory of merchandise with his old name on it.

Huh?

Well he is 28. How long do Safety careers normally last? Unless your name is Charles Woodson or Antoine WInfield, not much past 30.

Huh?

Well he is 28. How long do Safety careers normally last? Unless your name is Charles Woodson or Antoine WInfield, not much past 30.
Whitner is a pretty good safety and doesn't have much history of injuries. Don't see why he couldn't play another 5 years. Y Bell is 35, and there are others over 30 still contributing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Huh?

Whitner is a pretty good safety and doesn't have much history of injuries. Don't see why he couldn't play another 5 years. Y Bell is 35, and there are others over 30 still contributing.
Yeah, I'd say your average "good" safeties play until well into their thirties.

John Lynch played till 37

Ed Reed is still playing at 35

Yerimiah Bell is still playing at 35

Charles Woodson is 36

Troy Polamalu is 32 still playing

Whitner is a below average player, and the weak link of the 49er D. Sure, he makes some hits, but he rarely makes plays. Whitner has a hand in most passing TDs against SF.

I guess this will make him feel important.

Huh?

Charles Woodson is 36

Rodney Harrison played until he was 36. Darren Sharper made a pro bowl at 34. Adrian Wilson is 33. Ryan Clark is 33.

To ask why he would do this at the "tail end" of his career is silly and likely inaccurate.

The question should be why would you do this at all.

Huh?

Charles Woodson is 36

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1683775-when-does-age-catch-up-to-nfl-players

Shows some data on the subject, the most relevant being the graph of career lengths by position, for players who start 80+ games (i.e., "good players"). It's about 10 years for everyone but QB's and kickers.

And I do think this is really stupid, since Whitner's relevance in the national media, even a week after the most relevant on-field thing he's ever done, is pretty much zero.

I saw the play, and when I saw the blurb about the name-change on espn.com, I didn't immediately think to myself, "Wow, what an awesome way to illustrate what a fearsome hitter you are, right when the NFL is on a witch hunt against you!"

I thought, "Wow, that's strangely close to Hitler, why would this guys do this?"

And I do think this is really stupid, since Whitner's relevance in the national media, even a week after the most relevant on-field thing he's ever done, is pretty much zero.

I saw the play, and when I saw the blurb about the name-change on espn.com, I didn't immediately think to myself, "Wow, what an awesome way to illustrate what a fearsome hitter you are, right when the NFL is on a witch hunt against you!"

I thought, "Wow, that's strangely close to Hitler, why would this guys do this?"
You just answered your own question.

He's doing it because he isn't relevant in the national media. Now he is (even if for a short while.)

BaBastage said:
Man of Zen said:

You just answered your own question.

He's doing it because he isn't relevant in the national media. Now he is (even if for a short while.)
Given all the player shenanigans off the field as well as Harbaugh with his verbal ones, Whitner isn't doing the franchise any favors as far as image.

I got a feeling this isn't gonna turn out well, even for the fans. I can see the jersey popular with cholos in the Mission though. The 'Stick in it's final season is seeing a lot more fan violence than I can recollect. This kind of stuff doesn't help.

In mildly related news...

I knew a guy who changed his name from Chris to "Razor Doug Danger".

No ####. Somehow Hitner doesn't seem as bad to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
fruity pebbles said:
sounds too much like Hitler
That's exactly what I thought as well....why would anyone change his name to get closer to that?

S Hitner is another very good point that I hadn't thought of.

....all in all an extremely bad decision.

Users who are viewing this thread