What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Draft Dominator Web and Draft Dominator Classic not calculating point projections correctly (1 Viewer)

DJPenix

Footballguy
Hi everyone, I submitted a ticket to football guys but I have not heard a resolution to this. Am I going crazy or am I the only one who sees that the projected fantasy points are not being calculated correctly?

Our league just has some very basic scoring rules. We have 0.10 points per yard rushing/receiving and 6 points per rushing/receiving touchdowns. No other bonuses and no penalties for fumbles. Nothing else. Just that.

In Draft Dominator Classic, Jonathan Taylor has projected 1585 yards rushing + 363 yards receiving which should be (1585 + 363) * 0.10 = 194.8 points. He also has 15 rushing TDs and 2 receiving TDs projected. That should be (15 + 2) * 6 = 102 points. So 194.8 + 102 = 296.8 total projected points. But Draft Dominator Classic is showing 279 fantasy points, a difference of 17.8 points lower than it should be. I know that there could be some potential rounding error, but not that much.

For rushing/receiving yards, it looks like it’s only calculating 90-94% of the true projected points. But to eliminate any rounding, I can test this by making modifications to the projection statistics and isolate statistics for only 1 category. For example,
  • If I “zero” out all projection statistics (rushing/receiving & TDs) for Jonathan Taylor, it does correctly list 0 fantasy points.
  • If I ONLY list 100 rushing yards, it should be 100 * 0.10 = 10 points, but it lists 9 points.
  • If I ONLY list 1000 rushing yards, it should be 1000 * 0.10 = 100 points, but it lists 94 points.
  • If I ONLY list 10000 rushing yards, it should be 10000 * 0.10 = 1000 points, but it lists 936 points.
Even the TD calculations are not right.
  • If I zero out everything except enter 10 rushing touchdowns, it should be 10 * 6 = 60 points, but the app lists 56 points.
  • If I only enter 100 rushing touchdowns, it should be 100 * 6 = 600 points, but it lists 562 points.
  • If I only enter 1000 rushing touchdowns, it should be 1000 * 6 = 6,000 points, but it lists 5,618 points.
So there is something wrong in the calculations, both for the rushing/receiving yards, as well as the rushing/receiving touchdowns.

There is also error in the Draft Dominator Web version. This morning, I downloaded the latest projections as of today, 8/19/2022. Using the same scoring system that was synched from our league, and using the 2022 FC (Footballguys Consensus) the estimated projection statistics match up - 1585 rushing yards, 363 receiving yards, 15.3 rushing TD, and 1.8 receiving TD. There is a very slight rounding error, but again, nothing to make up a huge number. But the Draft Dominator Web version projects 309.7 points for Jonathan Taylor which is actually 12.9 points HIGHER than what it should be. Overall, Draft Dominator Classic and Draft Dominator Web are showing a difference of 30.7 points.

Am I going crazy or are other people seeing the same calculation errors? I’ve been using Draft Dominator for almost 10 years and I honestly don’t think I’ve ever checked the calculations before. I have screenshots of all of the tests and scenarios, but it doesn't look like I can include them in my post. But happy to share if anyone is interested.

And to confirm, this happens with ALL players. I was just using Jonathan Taylor as an example since he was sorted at the top.

First thought... are you sure you have your schedule settings correct for the full season? It looks like one game is being subtracted from the totals. Do you have your FF championship in the last week of the regular season, or the second-to-last week? It appears that DD is taking his entire year totals but only counting scores for 17 of 18 weeks.

First thought... are you sure you have your schedule settings correct for the full season? It looks like one game is being subtracted from the totals. Do you have your FF championship in the last week of the regular season, or the second-to-last week? It appears that DD is taking his entire year totals but only counting scores for 17 of 18 weeks.
This is almost certainly the case. It just isn't counting week 18

Ahhh... Yes, that's exactly what was happening in Draft Dominator Classic. Our playoffs finish the week before the last week of the season. The setting was <none> for Week 18. When I changed it to <avg points> it gave me the right totals.

However for the Draft Dominator Web version, the calculation is actually HIGHER than what I expect it to be. Any thoughts on why that would be happening? I don't even see a way to override to set the points for week 18 in the application. I initially thought maybe there was some fudge added for 2 point conversions, however there isn't anything in the projection statistics that reflect those estimates.

This is almost certainly the case. It just isn't counting week 18
Thanks DC.

This is a known bug with the FBG DD. Do me a favor, shoot shuke a PM. he is working on a ticket for users. Also, can you send him league roosters?

I resolved the Draft Dominator Classic discrepancy, but I finally heard back from support on the newer Draft Dominator Web. Thought I'd share the response...

In the newer application, we make an adjustment to fantasy points to give players credit for projected games missed.

Take as an example Deshaun Watson - if we ranked all QBs by total points, he would be below the likes of Geno Smith. But, we think you should draft Watson over him - because you can start another player during Watson's suspension. You don't have to score 0s until week 12.

The exact algorithm for this is a little more complex, but in essence, what we do is take the number of games a player is projected to miss, and multiply that number through the best player likely available on waivers in your league.

That boosts Taylor up the extra points to the total shown in your app.

On DD Classic it's been off for a few years now. For 2 qb leagues when you put in the lineup/scoring info it shows a sure-fire 1st rounder like Lamar Jackson ranked in the 30's. Puts guys like Mixon in the top 5 ahead of QB's like Mahomes and Herbert.

Users who are viewing this thread