What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Draft Order Question (1 Viewer)

gman74

Footballguy
Will a team pick ahead over another team if they have a worse record IE Cards,Broncos/Chargers,Eagles over a team like the Pats that missed the playoffs. Just trying to see where the Lions 2nd 1st rnd pick is going to be. There are a lot of 9-7 teams so I am assuming there will probably be some coin flips.

NE will pick before all the playoff teams, I believe. I also think all tiebreakers are broken by SOS; if that's tied, then a coin flip.

That would be my guess also. When will be a draft pick list? for non playoff teams before there if need be use the coin flip.

NE will pick before all the playoff teams, I believe. I also think all tiebreakers are broken by SOS; if that's tied, then a coin flip.
I don't think soI'll look later but I think it's Supe winner and supe loser are last two, rest is by W-L record

1. Detroit

2. St Louis

3. Kansas City

4. Seattle

5. Cleveland

6. Cincinnati

7. Oakland

8. Jacksonville

9. Green Bay

10. Buffalo

11. San Francisco

12. Washington

13. Denver - may swap with NO

14. New Orleans - may swap with DEN

15. Houston - may swap with SD

16. San Diego - may swap with HOU

17. NY Jets

18. Chicago

19. Tampa Bay

20. Arizona

21. Dallas (#1, #3, and #6 going to DET)

22. Philadelphia

23. Minnesota

24 - 27. Miami, Atlanta, New England, and Baltimore - not sure of the order

28 - 31. Carolina (#1 to Phily), NY Giants, Indianapolis, and Pittsburgh - not sure of the order

32. Tennessee

This assume SD beats Denver tonight. And #31 and #32 would be the Super Bowl teams and everything adjusts upward accordingly.

I don't think soI'll look later but I think it's Supe winner and supe loser are last two, rest is by W-L record
The draft order is determined by first generating the order for the first round. That order is based generally on each team's regular season record, except as noted below:The winners of the Super Bowl are given the last selection, and the losers the second to last selection.[2] Remaining teams are sorted by regular season record, with worse records picking first, regardless of playoff status; teams that make the playoffs can't pick before teams that do not. For teams with the same record, teams that fail to make the playoffs always pick before teams that earned playoff berths. For teams that make the playoffs, ties are broken by the order in which teams lost in the playoffs. Remaining ties are broken by strength of schedule. For draft order, a lower strength of schedule results in an earlier pick. If strength of schedule does not resolve a tie, division and/or conference tiebreakers may be used. If the tie still cannot be broken, a coin toss at the NFL Combine is used to determine draft order. (Note: Strength of schedule is the combined records of a team's 16 opponents, including games played against the team in question, and counting divisional opponents twice. Because of this, each team's opponents' combined wins and losses—counting a tie as a half-win, half-loss—will add up to 256, so a team whose opponents had more combined wins has a better strength of schedule.) *********I'm not sure Chase, Pats before SD or no?not same record so....BTW it's from wiki

from docsports(no clue who they are)

The order for the entire draft besides the last two picks is determined by the records of the teams. Many people believe that teams that don't make the playoffs get to pick before those that do, but that's not the case if a playoff team has a worse record than one who doesn't make the playoffs.

As someone else said, teams are seeded by winning percentage except for the two teams who played in the Super Bowl. So the Pats First tiebreak is non-playoff teams pick before playoff teams.Second tiebreak is strength of schedule.Taking last year as an example, the Bucs were 9-7 and a playoff team. The Browns were 10-6 and not a playoff team. Bucs picked 20th while the Browns pick was 22nd, even though the Bucs were a playoff team. The Browns, however, picked first out of all the 10-6 teams as the rest of them made the playoffs.So for the Patriots this year, they are in a 4-way tie at 11-5 and will pick before the rest of those teams since they are all playoff teams. They are currently slotted with the 24th pick with 8 teams definitely picking after them. The Chargers making the SB would move the Pats up a slot, and they would also move up a slot if the Vikings, Eagles, or Cardinals made the SB. So they could pick 22nd if it is a Chargers vs Vikes/Eagles/Cards SB, or would pick 23rd if only one of those teams made the SB. I believe that is the case anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread