What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Draft Philosphy, Dynasty (1 Viewer)

3rdNLong

Footballguy
So there's 2 arguments out there on draft philosophy, draft best player available and the other is needs.  A lot will say BPA in round 1.  Does that strategy still hold up once you enter round 2? As for myself, no 1st, I begin my draft at 2.03 and 2.04.  So when does it make the most sense to go after needs?  Once you hit round 3? 

Was wondering what others think when it is the right time to switch gears.

Here's my current roster for those who would like to use as an example.

D Watson, T Lance / A Dillon, Khalil Herbert, D Montgomery, C Patterson, M Sanders, Javonte Williams / Ja'Marr Chase, C Claypool, M Gallup, K Golladay, M Hardman / G Kittle, K Pitts

League reference is 12 team dynasty, 0.5 ppr, 1qb, 2rb, 2wr, 1te, 1flex

Last edited by a moderator:
If this if for a rookie draft there is never a need to switch gears IMO.  The goal of the rookie draft is to get a starter for multiple years.   Your best chance of doing that is to get the BPA.  If you lessen that chance by taking a player based on need then it is likely that player doesn't do you any good anyway because he is of lesser talent and likely won't become a startable player.  In dynasty having too many good players at one position is not a bad thing.  

Rookie drafts are a crap shoot.  Give yourself the best chance of getting a serviceable player by drafting the best player regardless of position.  

My only caveat to that is the IDP side.  It is easy to say that some DE or LB is the BPA available however if your league doesn't value the IDP side enough then it becomes irrelevant so you can kind of throw that out.  Then it becomes knowing your other drafters and when it makes sense value wise to start going after IDP players.  

Thank you Gally.  I do agree with your view.  I was just trying to figure when is an ideal time to grab for needs.  But I like your advice. :)

And as you questioned, I forgot to mention it is a Rookie / FA draft, not a start up. 

Early 2nd is a crap shoot anyway.  With that team I'd probably lean one each of RB/WR with the 2.03/2.04 if I'm win-now.  Otherwise BPA.

Prinefan said:
Early 2nd is a crap shoot anyway.  With that team I'd probably lean one each of RB/WR with the 2.03/2.04 if I'm win-now.  Otherwise BPA.
So if that is the case why would you take a lesser player just because he is position X?  If you think someone at position Y is better even if you are currently stacked at position Y.

Now granted if you have two guys evaluated the same then go ahead and use position as a tie break.  But I don't understand why you would would ever take a lesser player in a rookie draft just because you need a specific position.

So if that is the case why would you take a lesser player just because he is position X?  If you think someone at position Y is better even if you are currently stacked at position Y.

Now granted if you have two guys evaluated the same then go ahead and use position as a tie break.  But I don't understand why you would would ever take a lesser player in a rookie draft just because you need a specific position.
Read the first part of my post please.  Just after the turn there is typically a small group/tier of players of both RB and WR who are a crap shoot of productivity.  Not a "lesser player" per se.  If I'm in win-now mode, I will get depth at both positions out of that group.  

Read the first part of my post please.  Just after the turn there is typically a small group/tier of players of both RB and WR who are a crap shoot of productivity.  Not a "lesser player" per se.  If I'm in win-now mode, I will get depth at both positions out of that group.  
Understood however I typically am able to differentiate the rankings of them based on some factor (film, competition, combine scores, etc) so even though they may be in the same general "tier" I do favor one player over another.  In some cases I can't differentiate them and in that case I may use my team structure as a tie break.   

Based on your comment you don't have a combined draft board and rank in tiers and equate a 2nd or 3rd tier RB equal to a 2nd or 3rd tier WR.  I tend to take it a step further and integrate the position tiers to take the player I feel is a better player regardless of positiin.

Understood however I typically am able to differentiate the rankings of them based on some factor (film, competition, combine scores, etc) so even though they may be in the same general "tier" I do favor one player over another.  In some cases I can't differentiate them and in that case I may use my team structure as a tie break.   

Based on your comment you don't have a combined draft board and rank in tiers and equate a 2nd or 3rd tier RB equal to a 2nd or 3rd tier WR.  I tend to take it a step further and integrate the position tiers to take the player I feel is a better player regardless of positiin.
Glad you take it further.  I don't devote the time involved to go to your extent.  I'm in 15 dynasties and do pretty well by my methods.  Typically I'll win enough to cover all my entry fees and put a few hundred away.  Past 24 years I've had 3 losing seasons (financially).  

Users who are viewing this thread