What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Drew Brees Thread (3 Viewers)

I do not believe the game against St Louis will be as easy as you think it will be for him.
It won't -- St. Louis has been a difficult matchup for the Saints' offense throughout the entire Payton-Brees era. Could be worse this year, with the Saints' offensive line struggling so badly. You can count on a poor game against the Rams.
:popcorn:
wait until the end of the game. you are celebrating this call yet last week you said people should start Fitzpatrick over Brees.
What about now?
never bench your elite players. 2 straight weeks you implied you think he should be benched, twice Brees has monster games
Uh he was average in my standard league.
ok, well scoring system vagaries can change a little but still your silly crusade against playing Drew Brees really needs to stop.

I do not believe the game against St Louis will be as easy as you think it will be for him.
It won't -- St. Louis has been a difficult matchup for the Saints' offense throughout the entire Payton-Brees era. Could be worse this year, with the Saints' offensive line struggling so badly. You can count on a poor game against the Rams.
wait until the end of the game. you are celebrating this call yet last week you said people should start Fitzpatrick over Brees.
You do realize that Fitzpatrick has outscored Brees fantasy wise the last 5/6 weeks right?

So much donkey thinking I don't know why I bother.

You do realize that Fitzpatrick has outscored Brees fantasy wise the last 5/6 weeks right?

are you being serious or trolling this thread?

if you are seriously recommending Fitzpatrick over Brees I don't know what to say other than you will rarely win your leagues. I'm sure over some random 5 week span Pierre Thomas outscored Jamaal Charles 4/5 or Riley Cooper outscored Demaryius Thomas

Last edited by a moderator:

if you are seriously recommending Fitzpatrick over Brees I don't know what to say other than you will rarely win your leagues. I'm sure over some random 5 week span Pierre Thomas outscored Jamaal Charles 4/5 or Riley Cooper outscored Demaryius Thomas
:lmao:

:lmao:
so, I've been trolled lol well done

ok then please explain your thinking as far as Fitzpatrick vs Brees. yes, Fitzy has won 5/6 weeks in your scoring system but that doesn't mean bench Brees for Fitzpatrick. Brees consistently brings the highest floor and highest ceiling of any non-Peyton QB and has a track record years long.

ok then please explain your thinking as far as Fitzpatrick vs Brees. yes, Fitzy has won 5/6 weeks in your scoring system but that doesn't mean bench Brees for Fitzpatrick. Brees consistently brings the highest floor and highest ceiling of any non-Peyton QB and has a track record years long.
All I can say is that I evaluate every situation for every one of my fantasy players. Some players have more skills than others and that should certainly be taken into consideration, but no one is ever an auto-start for me.

Brees has struggled on the road (review his home/away splits again - there is a clear difference in ceilings home v away). St. Louis was not going to be an easy game for them. They have a very good defensive front and would be able to slow the game down with Stacy/Cunningham. For three quarters of the game, you know I capped the game 100% correctly except Brees was able to salvage a horrible day In the 4th. Yet, you somehow continue to believe I am trolling.

Look at what mediocre QBs (Cassel, Flynn, Cousins) can do against weak secondaries. There are often times a mediocre name (not Brees) who has a more favorable matchup and at the very least you should consider it if it's a better move.

Only outscored by Foles and Smith in my league.
How is that possible? Fitzpatrick and Cassel don't count?
In my start 2 league, 4 teams are left. Of the 7 QBs that played (I have Flacco Monday night), Brees finished fifth, being outscored by Kaepernick, Newton, Cutler and Cousins. He only outscored Ryan and Palmer.
I didn't check non starters. Of the starters he ended up behind Foles, Smith, and Flynn.

Nobody can say for certain what a QB is going to do. Every week there are players on your bench that you should have started. I will stick with my proven stars, instead of guessing.

Yesterday is a prime example. Brees started out slow. At halftime, I was second guessing myself as to whether I should have started Tannehill. Since the Dolphins game was already completed, Tanny had 29 pts. Couple this with my opponent having Jamaal Charles, and things looked pretty bleak.

In the end, Brees put up 28 pts. Even on a bad day, Brees equaled what Tanny did on a good day.

I'm telling you all now, if you have quality options, this is the week to play them. Brees is not going to do well in Carolina.

All I can say is that I evaluate every situation for every one of my fantasy players. Some players have more skills than others and that should certainly be taken into consideration, but no one is ever an auto-start for me.

Brees has struggled on the road (review his home/away splits again - there is a clear difference in ceilings home v away). St. Louis was not going to be an easy game for them. They have a very good defensive front and would be able to slow the game down with Stacy/Cunningham. For three quarters of the game, you know I capped the game 100% correctly except Brees was able to salvage a horrible day In the 4th. Yet, you somehow continue to believe I am trolling.

Look at what mediocre QBs (Cassel, Flynn, Cousins) can do against weak secondaries. There are often times a mediocre name (not Brees) who has a more favorable matchup and at the very least you should consider it if it's a better move.
you totally missed on the whole game though, 3 quarters doesn't equal a whole game. a huge part of the reason Brees is great is the Saints always keep throwing no matter if they are losing by 20 or winning by 20. that's not true of almost every other QB. it's why it takes high-scoring shootout game scripts for those mediocre QBs to have big games. yes it worked out perfectly this week if you played Flynn over Brees or Manning, but it was an awful decision. every single thing has to go right for one of those mediocre guys to have a huge fantasy day (see Fitzpatrick vs Broncos, who scored 20 points less than Brees when you were recommending benching Brees for him laughably). Brees gets his no matter what, which is why you do not bench him.

you picked 3 examples of mediocre QB vs weak secondaries. look at every QB who is available on waivers and playing weak secondaries all season long and compare them to Drew Brees every week and you will understand why it's so ridiculous to say what you are saying. if you are really recommending continually benching Brees, why in the world did you spend probably a 2nd or 3rd round pick for a matchup QB you were going to bench for Matt Flynn in the playoffs?

In a standard scoring league (not one you apparently play in where Brees gets bonus points for being Brees), he has averaged 17.39 pts on the road this season. He has averaged 27.97 at home. This isn't about what Brees can do, it's about maximizing the most points for a fantasy position. He clearly has not been the same QB on the road as at home - it's impossible to be any more clear about that.

I can tell you don't approach fantasy decisions with how the game will play out nor with who that player is playing. You simply look at their name and auto start them. That's really level one thinking and it's not worth wasting any more of time if you will never understand. Congratulations if you start him at Carolina and win your work league this week.

In a standard scoring league (not one you apparently play in where Brees gets bonus points for being Brees), he has averaged 17.39 pts on the road this season. He has averaged 27.97 at home. This isn't about what Brees can do, it's about maximizing the most points for a fantasy position. He clearly has not been the same QB on the road as at home - it's impossible to be any more clear about that.

I can tell you don't approach fantasy decisions with how the game will play out nor with who that player is playing. You simply look at their name and auto start them. That's really level one thinking and it's not worth wasting any more of time if you will never understand. Congratulations if you start him at Carolina and win your work league this week.
if "level one thinking" and not approaching fantasy decisions with how the game will play out leads me to play Drew Brees over Ryan Fitzpatrick while your more advanced thinking led you to bench Drew Brees in week 14 for Ryan Fitzpatrick and lose 20 points then I'll stay at level one.

if only I could have got to level three where I know exactly how games will play out and benched Peyton Manning and LeSean Mccoy this week for Matt Asiata and Matt Flynn.

no one knows how games will play out, so pointing out that some guys did better than Brees each week is pointless. of course some players will but Brees will essentially always have the best spread of probabilities of any option

if "level one thinking" and not approaching fantasy decisions with how the game will play out leads me to play Drew Brees over Ryan Fitzpatrick while your more advanced thinking led you to bench Drew Brees in week 14 for Ryan Fitzpatrick and lose 20 points then I'll stay at level one.

if only I could have got to level three where I know exactly how games will play out and benched Peyton Manning and LeSean Mccoy this week for Matt Asiata and Matt Flynn.

no one knows how games will play out, so pointing out that some guys did better than Brees each week is pointless. of course some players will but Brees will essentially always have the best spread of probabilities of any option
Painful

Not on the road against a top defense. You can't totally ignore trends. Not when trends have proven true time and time again. Drew Brees is a good QB on the road. Not a great one. At home, you put him in your lineup and let him rip. When he's on the road, especially against a top three defense, you look at your other options and weigh everything out.

I've got Luck as a solid backup option, too bad he's at KC this week, not any better than Brees at Carolina.

Not saying I am going to, but Phil rivers against the raiders at home is very tempting.
In short, you have a top 5 QB at home against one of the worst pass defenses in the league. Their opponent surely looked like they quit in week 15.

OR

A top 5 QB who doesnt play as well on the road vs the defense that has allowed the second fewest FF pts all year. His opponent is playing for a division title and possibly a #2 seed in the playoffs.

Ask hines, I'm sure he will tell you what the obvious answer is.

I have to consider another QB. I have Brees and I'm worried.

My opponent has Peyton against Houston. It's going to be butt ugly for me :tfp:

Weather permitting, Kirk Cousins hosts Dallas at home. Dallas makes any QB look good - their defense is decimated by injuries

Gawain said:
tjnc09 said:
Only outscored by Foles and Smith in my league.
How is that possible? Fitzpatrick and Cassel don't count?
In my start 2 league, 4 teams are left. Of the 7 QBs that played (I have Flacco Monday night), Brees finished fifth, being outscored by Kaepernick, Newton, Cutler and Cousins. He only outscored Ryan and Palmer.
Just curious but how did Newton outscore Brees this week..

More quarterbacks in the NFL will outscore Brees than not this week. So the amount of better fantasy options is plentiful.

You deserve to loose your fantasy league if you bench Brees after one bad game. He will show up in Carolina next week. If you have better options thats different but remember Brees did torch the Panthers secondary the week before last

Brees has had only one "bad" game IMO against SEA at SEA.

He did torch Carolina and almost had another TD on Colston's catch at the 2 foot line.

That said, his matchup at CAR is very different than in the NO Dome

I suspect everyone will play him but temper expectations to 250 yds and 2 tds.

Now IF you feel that way, there are seferal other untested QB's that could go over 300 yards(bonus in my league)

AND still get you a few TDs. Just saying it's not far fetched to consider benching him. :2cents:

like I say if you have better options. These Division games always score higher than you would think they would though. The Teams know each other too well.

JuniorNB said:
hines said:
tjnc09 said:

Not on the road against a top defense. You can't totally ignore trends. Not when trends have proven true time and time again. Drew Brees is a good QB on the road. Not a great one. At home, you put him in your lineup and let him rip. When he's on the road, especially against a top three defense, you look at your other options and weigh everything out.
totally disagree. look what he just did to this top 3 defense last week. I understand it's on the road, but if he has shredded them once, he still could do it again. Panthers didn't even slow him down last week, to bench him this week is overthinking

tjnc09 said:
Ned Ryerson said:
Not saying I am going to, but Phil rivers against the raiders at home is very tempting.
In short, you have a top 5 QB at home against one of the worst pass defenses in the league. Their opponent surely looked like they quit in week 15.

OR

A top 5 QB who doesnt play as well on the road vs the defense that has allowed the second fewest FF pts all year. His opponent is playing for a division title and possibly a #2 seed in the playoffs.

Philip Rivers is a different beast. you were recommending waiver options earlier, not guys like Rivers. I can understand doing it for Rivers. I definitely would not do it, but can see the reasoning. you have yet to describe your reasoning in playing the matchups from the waiver wire instead of starting Brees in these last 3 weeks. you just responded "painful".

like I say if you have better options. These Division games always score higher than you would think they would though. The Teams know each other too well.
In my league scoring he has averaged 39 pts/game at home and 21 away.

I think Carolina is going to play him tough at home. NFL teams adjust. Carolina will adjust at home based off their game in NO.

On the other hand, NO will want to right the ship after St.Louis loss.

I think Brees plays OK and they can win at Carolina. Just not feeling the game will be high scoring and Brees will get in the 30's or 40's like at home.

The problem with this entire discussion is that it doesn't fit enough people to be a consensus.

How many teams own Brees + How many of those teams own a QB that has a matchup that could be an option = very few

I think there is a short list of owners with the opportunity, which skews the opinions towards, "you have to start Brees"

I suggest people define 5 other QB's that could fall in this category. Fitzpatrick was mentioned, and I could see a team owing both Brees and Fitz.

In my league scoring he has averaged 39 pts/game at home and 21 away.

I think Carolina is going to play him tough at home. NFL teams adjust. Carolina will adjust at home based off their game in NO.

On the other hand, NO will want to right the ship after St.Louis loss.

I think Brees plays OK and they can win at Carolina. Just not feeling the game will be high scoring and Brees will get in the 30's or 40's like at home.
Carolina might play him tough, but they certainly didn't just one week ago. you have to factor in the fact they were helpless against him very recently into the projection

I own Brees, Foles, and Cutler. I'm struggling to decide. Between Foles and Cutler.

New Orleans at Carolina has 17-13 written all over it. Brees and the Saints have played two divisional road games so far. At ATmpa Bay, which they won 16-14 and Brees only threw one touchdown pass. And at Atlanta, which they won 17-13 and Brees threw two TDs, but only 278 yards. I don't like him at all this week. Other than garbage time, the Rams shut him down. Brees has not thrown more than 2 touchdown passes in any road game this season.

I own Brees, Foles, and Cutler. I'm struggling to decide. Between Foles and Cutler.

New Orleans at Carolina has 17-13 written all over it. Brees and the Saints have played two divisional road games so far. At ATmpa Bay, which they won 16-14 and Brees only threw one touchdown pass. And at Atlanta, which they won 17-13 and Brees threw two TDs, but only 278 yards. I don't like him at all this week. Other than garbage time, the Rams shut him down. Brees has not thrown more than 2 touchdown passes in any road game this season.
I agree and am starting Foles over Brees. Not exactly a stretch of a decision, but it would have been tough to make if Brees weren't outdoors, on the road against CAR.

New Orleans is like the offensive equivalent of Seattle D at home at night. They played out of their asses against CAR last home/night game.

tjnc09 said:
Ned Ryerson said:

OR

Philip Rivers is a different beast. you were recommending waiver options earlier, not guys like Rivers. I can understand doing it for Rivers. I definitely would not do it, but can see the reasoning. you have yet to describe your reasoning in playing the matchups from the waiver wire instead of starting Brees in these last 3 weeks. you just responded "painful".
Made the championship game after my opponent's Stafford came up small. Now actually have to decide between Rivers and Brees.

I'm in a keeper league, and have had Brees for two years so far. in the two years I have owned him, I have only benched Brees on weeks where he had a bye . To do it now in a championship game seems crazy, but I have to at least think about it.

tjnc09 said:
Ned Ryerson said:

OR

Made the championship game after my opponent's Stafford came up small. Now actually have to decide between Rivers and Brees. I'm in a keeper league, and have had Brees for two years so far. in the two years I have owned him, I have only benched Brees on weeks where he had a bye . To do it now in a championship game seems crazy, but I have to at least think about it.
Don't get suckered into this and overthink things. Brees had 300/4/0 against Carolina. He'll be fine.

this is crazy IMO. he is coming off a 400 yard game vs the Rams and just absolutely torched the Panthers for 313 and 4 TDs 8 days ago. in my scoring system Jay Cutler hasn't had a game all season that is as good as Brees game vs the Rams. to bench Brees for a guy whose best score doesn't reach Brees's average is incredibly poor decision making. maybe it works out, but you are hurting your odds by doing that

tjnc09 said:
Ned Ryerson said:
In short, you have a top 5 QB at home against one of the worst pass defenses in the league. Their opponent surely looked like they quit in week 15.OR

Made the championship game after my opponent's Stafford came up small. Now actually have to decide between Rivers and Brees. I'm in a keeper league, and have had Brees for two years so far. in the two years I have owned him, I have only benched Brees on weeks where he had a bye . To do it now in a championship game seems crazy, but I have to at least think about it.
Don't get suckered into this and overthink things. Brees had 300/4/0 against Carolina. He'll be fine.
Fwiw in my league rivers is averaging 3 more points a game at home than Brees does on the road.

tjnc09 said:
Ned Ryerson said:
In short, you have a top 5 QB at home against one of the worst pass defenses in the league. Their opponent surely looked like they quit in week 15.OR

Fwiw in my league rivers is averaging 3 more points a game at home than Brees does on the road.
I think people are reading too much into this home/away split. in 2011 and 2012 Brees averaged significantly more passing yards on the road than at home

this is crazy IMO. he is coming off a 400 yard game vs the Rams and just absolutely torched the Panthers for 313 and 4 TDs 8 days ago. in my scoring system Jay Cutler hasn't had a game all season that is as good as Brees game vs the Rams. to bench Brees for a guy whose best score doesn't reach Brees's average is incredibly poor decision making. maybe it works out, but you are hurting your odds by doing that
I think you're being selective about which odds you're considering. How about the fact that he hasn't thrown for more than 2 TDs in any of his seven road games this season? I don't particularly like the odds of him suddenly figuring it out on the road against the league's top defense against fantasy quarterbacks. I'd rather have a QB in the Bears/Eagles shootout (Vegas over/under is 56) than in the Saints at Carolina game. (46 o/u). As a Brees owner, I've found out the hard way this season that his home/road numbers are no fluke. As for his 400 yards against the Rams, he was horrible that game. He's lucky the Rams had a huge lead and he scored a bunch of garbage points against the prevent defense. That was close to a 15 point performance. He won't be getting those 4th quarter garbage stats at Carolina. That seems like a 17-13 game to me.

tjnc09 said:
Ned Ryerson said:

OR

As a Saints fan I hope you're right, but this game screams of some Carolina payback

There should be a NFL rule passed forcing New Orleans to play home games in weeks 14 and 16 as long as Brees is QB.

They used the wrong tight end I wonder why that was? Maybe because Graham got shut down in double coverage? Brees has to use all his weapons and take whats there. He didn't have the time he normally has to make his progressions in that Rams game. The Offensive line was like a revolving door. Worst game they have played in the Sean Payton era. They better bounce back this week.

I think you're being selective about which odds you're considering. How about the fact that he hasn't thrown for more than 2 TDs in any of his seven road games this season? I don't particularly like the odds of him suddenly figuring it out on the road against the league's top defense against fantasy quarterbacks. I'd rather have a QB in the Bears/Eagles shootout (Vegas over/under is 56) than in the Saints at Carolina game. (46 o/u). As a Brees owner, I've found out the hard way this season that his home/road numbers are no fluke. As for his 400 yards against the Rams, he was horrible that game. He's lucky the Rams had a huge lead and he scored a bunch of garbage points against the prevent defense. That was close to a 15 point performance. He won't be getting those 4th quarter garbage stats at Carolina. That seems like a 17-13 game to me.
like I said earlier, not sure how much weight you can put into the home/away thing being automatic. yes, this year Brees is averaging 58 more yards at home than on the road (and is much more efficient 8.48 YPA to 6.4) but in the last two years that hasn't been true. he averaged 340 on road, 307 at home in 2012 and 357 on road compared to 328 at home in 2011. it's not like he doesn't know how to play on the road, it's just he had 6 average games and played at Seattle on Monday Night and had an awful game on road. I'm not ready to say Brees has lost the ability to play well on the road.

I care more about the fact he was unstoppable vs this same team last week than home/road splits

Users who are viewing this thread