What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Drew Brees Thread (1 Viewer)

He gets the Chicago D next week. I'm not worried. Huge rebound game coming.
That won't help those of us that get knocked out of the playoffs this week.
Plus it'll be the battle of inept teams that look like they're quitting. Theoretically the Saints should still have a little to play for against the Bears but they look like they're doing some rolling over of their own. Downgrade all Saints.

Dude's not elite anymore.
Yep. No question about it. If he were in a bigger media market, he'd be getting roasted. Too many people/box score watches will say 'but he's completing 70%'. I say to them go actually watch the games & see how far those passes are traveling.....they're gaining nothing on them.

This team has only won games this year when going through Ingram/Robinson (sticking to the run)....clicking clock & helping keep that D off the field in the process. Far too many 3andout 40 second 'drives'. Been an issue all year.

Yep. No question about it. If he were in a bigger media market, he'd be getting roasted. Too many people/box score watches will say 'but he's completing 70%'. I say to them go actually watch the games & see how far those passes are traveling.....they're gaining nothing on them.

This team has only won games this year when going through Ingram/Robinson (sticking to the run)....clicking clock & helping keep that D off the field in the process. Far too many 3andout 40 second 'drives'. Been an issue all year.
I have noticed the same thing. So the question is the decline due to age or Brees trying to do too much with too little because of the holes the NO D keeps digging?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep. No question about it. If he were in a bigger media market, he'd be getting roasted. Too many people/box score watches will say 'but he's completing 70%'. I say to them go actually watch the games & see how far those passes are traveling.....they're gaining nothing on them.This team has only won games this year when going through Ingram/Robinson (sticking to the run)....clicking clock & helping keep that D off the field in the process. Far too many 3andout 40 second 'drives'. Been an issue all year.
if only they had a big target to throw the ball to on 3rd down

I have noticed the same thing. So the question is the decline due to age or Brees trying to do too much with too little because of the holes the NO D keeps digging?
He's unquestionably not in the elite group any longer. It's hard to say how much he's declined because the offense itself simply doesn't go vertical anymore -- and it wasn't exactly vertical to begin with. (The 70% completion percentage is probably the single most misleading stat in the league this year)

I don't see lack of offensive weapons on offense at all personally. Ingram has run like a top level NFL rusher all year long. Cooks was unquestionably their best WR and huge loss, but Brees wasn't exactly lighting it up then either. Brees is getting less time to throw than the past, but he's also been guilty of taking far too many sacks when he's had adequate time. (I cant remember the last time I've seen him just throw it away)

There's fault to go all around in New Orleans. Defense is horrific. Payton's offense simply isn't working to create plays and Brees needs to learn to throw it away. Payton's O has always been tailored to Brees's strengths. Doing away with Payton's offense at this stage with Brees isn't the solution. (If the organization wants Brees to retire a Saint)

Read an recent article about the Saints drafting Brees heir apparent. Thought it is spot on and something that should unquestionably be looked at. Whether Brees likes it or not.

Got to believe that Brees has reached Andre Johnson status for dynasty owners. If you own him you are stuck with him and he accompanying WDIS baggage.

gotta ask. Who's better Brees or Cutler?
Cutler knows what it takes to score points in garbage time. He's very experienced. Brees is not as astute in that area; exhibit A being the last drive today. So the edge goes to Cutler.

Then again, the Bears are starting a rookie CB with a broken hand, a linebacker drafted as a defensive end, a 90 year old pass rusher, and whoever is a bad enough safety that couldnt beat out Chris Conte.

No idea why Brees is on the Saints unavailable list. He wasn't the biggest problem with the 2014 Saints (that'd be the defense) but his decline was beyond noticeable. Just some completely baffling mistakes and he's zero downfield threat.

With the dearth of QBs, I'd deal him in a heartbeat to a team that thinks he still has a 3-4 years of top level production. I'm sure with a new deal there'd be at least some interested teams.

No idea why Brees is on the Saints unavailable list. He wasn't the biggest problem with the 2014 Saints (that'd be the defense) but his decline was beyond noticeable. Just some completely baffling mistakes and he's zero downfield threat.

With the dearth of QBs, I'd deal him in a heartbeat to a team that thinks he still has a 3-4 years of top level production. I'm sure with a new deal there'd be at least some interested teams.
Because he is the Face...Heart...and Soul of the franchise. He will retire as a Saint. The negative PR (translate $) from this move would be huge

Saints feel like Brees' biggest issue was with lack of pass protection up the middle. Brees likes to step up in the pocket when running the offense. Last season, with olver-the-hill C Jonathan Goodwin getting over-run all the time, Brees was losing a snap fraction of a second in decision-making time on most passing downs.

I want to see what Brees can do with an improved interior offensive line. I do agree about decreasing arm strength, though.

Colston is looking pretty run down. If they lose Stills along with Graham, I'm just not impressed with his receiving options.

Is Brees even going to be a QB 1 for fantasy next season? Its not looking good.

Rotoworld:

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora mentions Drew Brees could be entering his final season with the Saints.

La Canfora has the Saints as one of five teams that could trade up for Marcus Mariota. Brees has two years left on his five-year, $100 million deal, and shedding his contract next spring to clear $20 million would be a way for GM Mickey Loomis to pull the Saints out of salary-cap hell. Brees began to show signs of decline last season. He turned 36 in January.

Source: CBS Sports
Mar 20 - 11:25 AM

Colston is looking pretty run down. If they lose Stills along with Graham, I'm just not impressed with his receiving options.

Is Brees even going to be a QB 1 for fantasy next season? Its not looking good.
If he's healthy, yes. Consider- 2014 indeed was a down year, Graham hurt, Sproles gone, Cookes hurt.. he finished QB3. Morover the drop off to QB12 is HUGE from QB3. QBs are brutal.

"He's going to be a part of our next championship."
This is like crack to Saints fans. We can't even believe our coach talks like this.

Brees is lionized here, the people would hand him City Hall if we wanted it. The best course for the Saints is to work out a plan with Brees whereby the reins are ultimately handed over in an organized fashion.

The Packers had that weird situation where Rodgers fell allll the way to them down around 1.26. That moved up the schedule with Favre, and Favre himself kept crying and retiring at post game press conferences.

Luck fell to the Colts in their disaster of a season - ok maybe they tanked but still it was an anomaly that a playoff team ended up with the 1.1.

Denver seems to have this down with Osweiler and Manning.

If the Saints and Brees both want to map this out and plan for it they can do it.

Rotoworld take:

Coach Sean Payton said the Saints are trying to "reduce the amount of points you may need to score to win a game."

The Saints are trying to shift their identity from a fastbreak, pass-happy, offensive juggernaut to more of a ball-control team. It's a massive schematic shift, but one that was probably necessary with Drew Brees showing signs of decline at age 36 and zero trips to the NFC title game since winning the Super Bowl in 2009. Expect the 2015 version of the Saints to lean heavily on power back Mark Ingram while placing an emphasis on major defensive improvement. Brees, who has lost Jimmy Graham and Kenny Stills this offseason, can't be counted on for the 650 attempts we're accustomed to.

Source: ESPN.com
Mar 24 - 8:38 AM

"He's going to be a part of our next championship."
This is like crack to Saints fans. We can't even believe our coach talks like this.

Brees is lionized here, the people would hand him City Hall if we wanted it. The best course for the Saints is to work out a plan with Brees whereby the reins are ultimately handed over in an organized fashion.

The Packers had that weird situation where Rodgers fell allll the way to them down around 1.26. That moved up the schedule with Favre, and Favre himself kept crying and retiring at post game press conferences.

Luck fell to the Colts in their disaster of a season - ok maybe they tanked but still it was an anomaly that a playoff team ended up with the 1.1.

Denver seems to have this down with Osweiler and Manning.

If the Saints and Brees both want to map this out and plan for it they can do it.
The Saints won the Super Bowl with a worse offense (Colston, Henderson, Shockey, Bush, PT, and Mike Bell) that they have now (Colston, Cooks, Hill, Ingram, Spiller, and Khiry).

the drew brees bashing is the funniest stuff i have heard as if its the people around him who made him and not the other way around. i remember what happened when the people who know so much said brady was on the decline after losing to the chiefs week 4 people even suggested brady should be traded or isnt the same and grrappalo should start.

at least thats what the know it alls said.

who ended up winning the super bowl?

Rotoworld:

Drew Brees said he's unfazed by the selection of QB Garrett Grayson in the third round.

Grayson isn't coming for Brees' job this year or next, but it's still been a rough offseason for the veteran's stock. The Saints traded away Jimmy Graham and Kenny Stills, invested heavily in the defense and run game, and have been talking up a less voluminous pass attack. Then they used a top-75 pick on a quarterback. Brees, now 36 years old, regressed to fantasy's No. 6 quarterback last season and is a threat to fall even further back to the pack this year. He has weakened weaponry, declining efficiency and we can't pen him in for his usual 650 attempts.

Related: Garrett Grayson

Source: New Orleans Advocate
May 19 - 8:22 AM

I agree with the idea that Brees is a steal right now but I disagree with use NEP to make the point. It's not a comparable number. It's a lot like yards per carry for a good back up RB behind a stud RB. The volume that the Saints throw the ball THREW the ball is the big difference.
People need to wake up. This team is different. The personnel is different. The decline of Brees in fantasy is here. At BEST, he probably ends up where we normally think of Big Ben and Romo (solid every week guys with big game potential but not difference makers that win your league just because you got him at QB15 instead of QB 2-3).

I agree with the idea that Brees is a steal right now but I disagree with use NEP to make the point. It's not a comparable number. It's a lot like yards per carry for a good back up RB behind a stud RB. The volume that the Saints throw the ball THREW the ball is the big difference.
People need to wake up. This team is different. The personnel is different. The decline of Brees in fantasy is here. At BEST, he probably ends up where we normally think of Big Ben and Romo (solid every week guys with big game potential but not difference makers that win your league just because you got him at QB15 instead of QB 2-3).
Sorry, but to act like anyone KNOWS this is ridiculous. Or arrogant. He's a HOF QB, these guys don't just stop throwing the ball as they age. Unless you LOVE what the Saints did to rebuild their defense this offseason, they aren't pounding teams into submission. The Saints have always given RB's tons of touches, both carries and receptions, and that won't change. But they haven't undergone as large a transformation as everyone is saying. They worked on the OL--that helps the running game and the passing game. They resigned Ingram--they also signed Spiller. They moved Stills and Graham--great, they needed help elsewhere. Brees will still have to throw the ball a ton--and he was a fantasy star on a HOF-pace long before Graham and Stills came along. He'll be fine.

I think you need to wake up Shutout. Brees tied for the lead in passing yards last year, with your example of a decline in Ben. Brees lead the league in passing attempts as well. It bothers me that someone with over 7000 posts here is being so dramatic with a possible decline of a QB especially with almost nothing in your post about why. Rookie move Shutout. The two things you mentioned were a generic "This team is different. The personnel is different."

"The team is different."

How? Brees is still the QB. Sean Peyton is still the HC. Their OC is still the same one. Is because Sean Peyton said he is going to run the ball more, like he does every year?

"The personnel is different."

Jimmy Graham and Kenny Stills are gone.

Graham no doubt hurts but Stills will almost directly be replaced by Cooks.

They drafted a LT (maybe to protect Brees?) in at #13 and also got a Pro Bowl center (the guy that gets the ball to the QB) in the Graham trade.

Then they added Spiller a RB that catches passes and does well in the open field.

To be far, I will break down how I see Brees attempt/target will beproduction coming.

Spiller 95 (Cadet and Thomas combined for 106)

Cooks gets 120

Colston's numbers from last year 100 targets, 59 catches, 902 yards.

Hill 85

Ingram 35 - same

Watson 20 - same

Toon 65 - targets per game from last year once he got on the field (weeks 11-16) then expanded over the whole 16

Josh Morgan 30

That's 550. Then you add in Khiry, and the randoms that get 5-10 targets and you're over 600 attempts pretty quick. These are more than reasonable expectations too.

Users who are viewing this thread