What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dumb money (1 Viewer)

Not only does this story look interesting the trailer makes the movie look funny too. I am in.
Not being sarcastic, but I didn't really follow this. Is it a happy ending for the little guy? :spoilers:

Watched the Netflix docuseries a few months ago. Mostly a story about a bunch of goofballs and slackers who thought they were changing the world by posting memes on reddit and Twitter.

some of them made some cash but not really an interesting story to me. Was fun to follow at the time but I don't see the appeal of watching a movie about it like 2 years later :shrug:

Not only does this story look interesting the trailer makes the movie look funny too. I am in.
Not being sarcastic, but I didn't really follow this. Is it a happy ending for the little guy? :spoilers:

It was for some of us!

Movie sounds like a good-natured David vs. Goliath story that doesn't end up like Bambi vs. Godzilla. I'll probably watch it.
Events it's based on:

Back in January 2020, some Redditors on the subReddit r/wallstreetbets noticed that the American gaming and electronic store GameStop was heading low at $3 a share, so the gang of amateur traders decided to start investing in it.

As the price of GameStop stock was still falling, it pricked the attention of Wall Street traders, who planned to engage in the practice of “shorting” the stock, that is, betting on it falling even further until it went out of business. In January 2021, the Redditors started buying up more shares, pushing the price of GameStop from $19.94 on 11 January to $347.51 just over two weeks later.

On January 25, the combined force of all these online GameStop champions saw more than 175 million shares of GameStop traded on a single day, the second largest total in the day according to the Dow Jones data, making some people who had bought shares potential millionaires.

The traders betting on GameStop tanking lost an estimated $6 billion due to the squeeze. They were not happy at all about this, leading some brokerages, like Robinhood, to ban the sale of GameStop on their platforms. Some folks cried about market manipulation, and it became a global and political issue discussed by the likes of Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez who questioned why, when it was outsiders – or those on lower-incomes – who pulled the same tricks as the finance world, was it suddenly framed as fraudulent? There were later lawsuits filed against some brokerages, and US governmental inquiries were set up to investigate what happened, and whether more regulation was needed for cases like this.

Users who are viewing this thread