What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dwayne Allen (IND) (4 Viewers)

Gronk owner, picked up Finley off waivers. Should I try to pick up Allen and start him this week or is Finley a safe bet against my Giants?
I'm in a PPR league. If I wasn't, then Finley or Mercedes Lewis have a higher probability to score TD's than Allen, and I'd probably play them instead. Alas, in my league Jermichael Finley is not available.I figure: If Coby Fleener's out one more week, then Dwayne Allen has a chance to see 9+ targets. If so, then he can get a stat line of 6 catches for 50-65 yards+ with a TD as a bonus. The other TE's are like 3 catches for 25 yards. I'm hoping Coby's out one more week, so I can pickup and play Allen with confidence.

Just jumped over to RotoWorld after posting the comment above, and just read this:

"Coby Fleener (shoulder) is questionable for Week 12.

Fleener was limited in all three practices this week, and is probably less than 50-50 to suit up against the Bills. He should be good for Week 13, however. Even if Fleener does take the field this weekend, Dwayne Allen is the only Colts' tight end with any current fantasy value."

Good. Now I'll pick up and start Dwayne Allen, and get to see Mercedes Lewis and Dallas Clark repeat their TD performances from last week.

:excited:

Gronk owner, picked up Finley off waivers. Should I try to pick up Allen and start him this week or is Finley a safe bet against my Giants?
I'm in a PPR league. If I wasn't, then Finley or Mercedes Lewis have a higher probability to score TD's than Allen, and I'd probably play them instead. Alas, in my league Jermichael Finley is not available.I figure: If Coby Fleener's out one more week, then Dwayne Allen has a chance to see 9+ targets. If so, then he can get a stat line of 6 catches for 50-65 yards+ with a TD as a bonus. The other TE's are like 3 catches for 25 yards. I'm hoping Coby's out one more week, so I can pickup and play Allen with confidence.
Non-PPR, I'll roll with Finley I think.

Dwayne Allen: "I'm Almost to 110 Percent"

Craig Kelley Colts.com Writer Director of Media Content

A week one hip injury halted Dwayne Allen’s 2013 season, a tough break for a player who topped NFL rookie tight ends with 45 receptions in 2012. With the off-season program two weeks away, Allen is healthy and ready to attack 2014.

INDIANAPOLIS – Last year, Dwayne Allen looked to build on 2012 when he topped all NFL rookie tight ends with 45 receptions.

His lone snare in 2013 produced a 20-yard touchdown against Oakland in the opener, but a hip injury that day ended his season.

The subsequent recuperative process has been arduous and productive for Allen, who feels he needed to cover extra ground to keep pace with others.

“I feel like I’m almost to 110 percent,” said Allen. “It’s not just my job to work to train my body where it was. I sat out a year, everyone else is improving. I don’t know what percent they’re improving, but I guess it’s 10 percent.

“They’re getting 10 percent better than they were the year before. It’s my job to work back to where I was before last season, then gain that extra percent so I can stay up with the NFL.”

Just keeping up with others never has been Allen’s complete mindset. The John Mackey Award winner from Clemson always wanted to be among the best.

Doing that meant staying on the field, something Allen did by opening 33-of-41 collegiate games before starting his first 17 with the Colts.

Being rendered to the sidelines was unsettling for Allen. While 13-year veteran Reggie Wayne remained engaged with teammates after his season-ending knee injury, Allen took an approach that worked for him.

“The only way I could make it through the season was to become a fan,” said Allen. “I hope one day I can do what Reggie did, stay around the game and help those around me. I wanted to, but I was so young in the game that it was too much. Coaches and teammates gave me chances to help, but I don’t think my helping would have helped much. My mind was just all over the place.

“I needed to really not focus on football and find an area to occupy my mind. That’s why I poured myself into the community. I felt as if, ‘I can’t help them on the field, but what I can do is help off the field.’ Whatever event I could help the team do, I was there.”

Allen has been a stellar community leader for the team since arriving in the third round of 2012’s draft. His talents should allow him to return to the same impact level he displayed as a rookie.

Prior to last year, coordinator Pep Hamilton told Allen he needed to master his position since it was one vital to the new offense being installed.

Allen embraced Hamilton’s challenge and worked extensively in off-season and training camp practices to ensure the upward arch that marked his career.

The injury was a setback, but Allen is rebounding with the same ethic.

Mastering his role still is a quest because of the nature of how tight ends are weaved into every facet.

“I’m getting better, learning more about the position,” said Allen. “A lot of people think the position is about catching balls. It is one of the hardest positions on the team.

“You have to know everything the linemen and the receivers know and some of the things the running backs and fullbacks know. You’re not locked into one thing. Your job entails everyone else’s jobs. You have to take the approach of a quarterback if you want to be great at tight end.

“I will never be there (in mastering the position). I do believe I’m on the road.”

Ryan Grigson enjoyed seeing Allen perform as a rookie. Grigson absorbed the punch that everyone associated with the team felt when Allen was lost after one game.

He anticipates seeing the return of the player he added with his third selection as a general manager.
“Dwayne Allen, the guy’s a beast,” said Grigson at February’s combine. “Anyone who game plans against him or watches the tape, or Joe Fan that just sees him how he plays in the red zone, how he plays in traffic, how he blocks at the point of attack, the tempo he plays at and the ferocity he plays at, he’s a guy you want on your team.
“He’s doing very well and we look forward to him having a great year.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Colts TE Dwayne Allen (hip surgery) said he's been cleared to participate in everything.
Allen is running around at this week's offseason workouts, catching some passes with no restrictions. It confirms Allen's proclamations from a month ago that his hip is back to "110 percent." Allen has the skill set to be an all-around beast and a major asset in the passing game -- especially if tight end-friendly special assistant Rob Chudzinski gains influence over OC Pep Hamilton.

Source: Kevin Bowen on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Dwayne Allen - TE - Colts

Dwayne Allen (hip surgery) is participating in this week's OTAs.

It's been more than seven months since Allen's season-ending surgery. He said he had to "teach myself how to run again," but is now getting his timing back and feeling better. By the time camp comes around, Allen should truly be 100 percent. He'll be a solid TE2 with upside for more if special assistant Rob Chudzinski is able to exert influence over offensive coordinator Pep Hamilton.

Source: Indianapolis Star

May 22 - 7:57 AM

Rotoworld:

Colts tight end coach Alfredo Roberts said getting Dwayne Allen (hip surgery) back "is like getting a brand new player."

Allen was pegged for a big role in OC Pep Hamilton's offense last year, but he injured his hip only 32 snaps into the season and was placed on injured reserve. Now healthy, Allen should once again be a big part of the Colts' plans. He is a solid TE2 with upside.

Source: colts.com

Jul 10 - 10:58 AM

I own him in dynasty and love his potential there, but what does everyone think in redraft? I think Allen looked the part more than Fleener did, but it's hard to just ignore the fact that Fleener is still there and their ADP is pretty much the same, which in my mind means the community is split.

Maybe a last round flyer as a backup TE?

People are in denial on Fleener because he was the higher pick and the "next great TE". However, Allen, barring injuries will be the much better TE IMHO. I don't see them as close. Fleener had an opportunity to run away with it last year when Allen was hurt, he didn't.

I was TE desperate in one of my main leagues last year and had to run with Flleener. Watching him on TV was the definition of agony. Im not touching him this year (disclaimer I still own him in that league, but have traded for Rudolph so he is now my back up).

I think he can easily be had for a 2nd in most leagues unless the owner is very thin at TE. There hasn't been much interest in him since he got injured. I own him and I'm optimistic about him this season so I'm holding until he gets on the field. His current value seems low.

Where do we put in relation to the rookies this year? Higher than all 3 for this year? But after ebron in dynasty?
Allen will be a better real life TE than fantasy one. Reminds me of Ben Watson.
I'm not sure about this. I agree he's a great all around TE and he may always be skewed towards the "real NFL" side but I think he can carve out a very nice fantasy value of low TE1 or high TE2. I thought he was a break out candidate last year and it could have just been delayed a year due to injury.

Where do we put in relation to the rookies this year? Higher than all 3 for this year? But after ebron in dynasty?
The key is his blocking ability. Allen is no slouch catching the ball, and is a very good red zone target like Ben Watson was. Fleener is a horrible blocker but a good move TE and should still get on the field a lot. It will be interesting to see if the Colts use two TE formations more and what the target distribution will be.

His QB is a stud, Allen has shown the ability to make plays down field, and is a better red zone asset than Fleener because he is multi dimensional. I don't know if he'll ever be top 5, but top 10? Oh, yeah. Just gotta stay healthy.

The distinction between Eifert, Ertz, Green, Allen, and Ebron isn't all that great. It's basically a guessing game as to which if any will arrive at top 5 status. I tend to favor Eifert/Ertz/Green/Allen over Ebron, because I think you'll know if they can be studs in the next 1-2 years, whereas Ebron might not show until 3 or more years out. Reed probably also falls into the same tier, even though he's shown more on the field, because of the concussion risk.

The distinction between Eifert, Ertz, Green, Allen, and Ebron isn't all that great. It's basically a guessing game as to which if any will arrive at top 5 status. I tend to favor Eifert/Ertz/Green/Allen over Ebron, because I think you'll know if they can be studs in the next 1-2 years, whereas Ebron might not show until 3 or more years out. Reed probably also falls into the same tier, even though he's shown more on the field, because of the concussion risk.
Reed's a notch above because he has proven upside, concussion risk be damned. Ebron's problem is just that, his upside. TE's that don't score are not top options and Ebron did not display the ability to score in college. Will it change in the pros? Always possible, but it isn't a good bet.

If I had to pick one from the rest it's Green because of his upside. I have my preference of Allen to Ertz, but I won't argue with those who disagree on the order - it's close. I think Ertz may be in the better situation, but I like Allen's talent more. The big hang up on Eifert right now is targets. Gresham is still around and his new OC wants to run, run, and run some more.

Reed's a notch above because he has proven upside, concussion risk be damned. Ebron's problem is just that, his upside. TE's that don't score are not top options and Ebron did not display the ability to score in college. Will it change in the pros? Always possible, but it isn't a good bet.

If I had to pick one from the rest it's Green because of his upside. I have my preference of Allen to Ertz, but I won't argue with those who disagree on the order - it's close. I think Ertz may be in the better situation, but I like Allen's talent more. The big hang up on Eifert right now is targets. Gresham is still around and his new OC wants to run, run, and run some more.
Yeah my point was sort of that reasonable minds could disagree as to who to favor among the group, but it's largely indistinguishable. Reed at the top for having proved more on the field, but the others are just promising. I'd group it something like:

Reed

Ertz/Green

Allen/Eiffert

Ebron

I see them as;

Reed/Ertz

Allen/Green

Eifert/Ebron

I'll admit I'm higher on Ertz than most, though. I think his skills translate to better fantasy performance than real NFL.

I see them as;

Reed/Ertz

Allen/Green

Eifert/Ebron

I'll admit I'm higher on Ertz than most, though. I think his skills translate to better fantasy performance than real NFL.
No Kelce?
I'd place him in with Eifert/Ebron. Didn't mean to omit him. I was just following the guys karmarooster ranked. Good call.
Thanks, Didn't want to single you out, saw karmas post later

I see them as;

Reed/Ertz

Allen/Green

Eifert/Ebron

No Kelce?
I'd place him in with Eifert/Ebron. Didn't mean to omit him. I was just following the guys karmarooster ranked. Good call.
Thanks, Didn't want to single you out, saw karmas post later
I didn't say anything earlier, but I agree with you about Kelce being in this discussion. He almost an afterthought, but he's just as likely to crack this group of TE's as anybody. Good call.

jurb26 said:
cstu said:
ebsteelers said:
I'm not sure about this. I agree he's a great all around TE and he may always be skewed towards the "real NFL" side but I think he can carve out a very nice fantasy value of low TE1 or high TE2. I thought he was a break out candidate last year and it could have just been delayed a year due to injury.
I agree he has that type of value but I don't see him having Green/Ertz/Eifert/Ebron kind of upside.

karmarooster said:
MAC_32 said:
karmarooster said:

Yeah my point was sort of that reasonable minds could disagree as to who to favor among the group, but it's largely indistinguishable. Reed at the top for having proved more on the field, but the others are just promising. I'd group it something like:

Reed

Ertz/Green

Allen/Eiffert

Ebron
Would you really trade Ebron for Allen?

karmarooster said:
MAC_32 said:
karmarooster said:

Reed

Ertz/Green

Allen/Eiffert

Ebron
Not exactly, but I wouldn't have drafted Ebron at his market rate in the first place. About the only way I could think of me owning Ebron right now is if I had a college taxi and drafted him to that. Then I'd be offering him for Allen + X since their market rates differ right now. If the Allen owner wouldn't do it and demanded straight up I'd do it, but I'd haggle before going there.

karmarooster said:
MAC_32 said:
karmarooster said:

Reed

Ertz/Green

Allen/Eiffert

Ebron
not speaking for karma, but redraft I would.

Redraft I would prefer Allen over Ebron. Dynasty I think Ebron has a higher value but in reality they are much closer to equals. And there's a certain value to Allen being 24 and having demonstrated success in the NFL vs. Ebron being 21 and not.

MAC_32 said:
karmarooster said:
Reed's a notch above because he has proven upside, concussion risk be damned. Ebron's problem is just that, his upside. TE's that don't score are not top options and Ebron did not display the ability to score in college. Will it change in the pros? Always possible, but it isn't a good bet. If I had to pick one from the rest it's Green because of his upside. I have my preference of Allen to Ertz, but I won't argue with those who disagree on the order - it's close. I think Ertz may be in the better situation, but I like Allen's talent more. The big hang up on Eifert right now is targets. Gresham is still around and his new OC wants to run, run, and run some more.
Sorry, this has nothing to do with Allen but I need to comment on this... People are talking everywhere about this supposed detrimental effect Hue Jackson will have on the passing game and I find a bit silly. Yes, he has signaled that they will focus more on the running game but it's still a passing league. And the Bengals were already running on 43% of the plays last season, 12th highest in the league, so it's not like they were a pass heavy offense under Gruden, it was just that the passing game was much more effective than the running game. Plus, all reports indicate that Jackson will be running a high tempo offense, and high tempo creates volume. A team can be run heavy and still put up high passing numbers as long as the tempo is high. It is when a team play a downtempo run heavy offense that you should start worrying about passing volume.

Sorry, carry on.

Dwayne Allen reiterated the Colts' plans to feature a two-tight end set this season.

"We're able to do a lot of things that we did last year but with bigger personnel, meaning me and Coby [Fleener] are the pair that are on the field and we don't leave the field no matter the situation," Allen said. We've long been intrigued by Allen's all-around talent, and now he's set to be a core piece of the offense. There's TE2 upside here.

Related: Coby Fleener

Source: Associated Press Aug 3 - 10:58 AM

Rotoworld:

ESPN Colts reporter Mike Wells expects TE Dwayne Allen's targets and receptions will "increase as the season goes on."

Allen has only seen six passes thrown his way through the first two weeks of the season, while fellow tight end Coby Fleener has nine targets already. Allen has been more effective with his targets, though, and is simply a better player than Fleener. His role in the offense should grow, but Allen's upside is limited as long as Reggie Wayne and T.Y. Hilton continue to soak up targets.

Source: ESPN.com

Sep 20 - 9:21 AM

Aside from a week 2 clunker Allen has been very consistent this year. Will that continue this week on Thursday against The Texans or will Allen be used to help on JJ Watt in pass protection thus limiting his potential targets? Thoughts from The Sharks?

Needing some thoughts from those with more knowledge as well. Need to cover Grahams bye this week and the WW options are thin but Allen is sitting there. Only other possibilities really are Cook or Reed who was dropped.

I think he'll probably continue to be a low-volume, TD dependent option. He's been solid due to a TD in 4/5 games. If he gets unlukcy, those 3 rec-50 yard games aren't so hot.

Decent enough for any bye week though (Graham, Kelce).

ETA - currently on pace for 60 - 800 - 16. The TDs should come down but maybe not by much if Luck is on pace for 56 TDs lol.

Needing some thoughts from those with more knowledge as well. Need to cover Grahams bye this week and the WW options are thin but Allen is sitting there. Only other possibilities really are Cook or Reed who was dropped.
like the other poster said. Allen is td dependent. Maybe ASJ?

Cook is garbage, and Reed isn't cleared to play yet. But if you flexibility to wait or make two WW moves, maybe pick up Allen but drop for Reed if there are good reports the next few days. Reed can't stay healthy - missed 11 out of the last 21 games - but obviously he's much more of a threat as a move tight end who can line up different places.

Cook is garbage, and Reed isn't cleared to play yet. But if you flexibility to wait or make two WW moves, maybe pick up Allen but drop for Reed if there are good reports the next few days. Reed can't stay healthy - missed 11 out of the last 21 games - but obviously he's much more of a threat as a move tight end who can line up different places.
Absolutely no room to pick up both, bench is loaded with deadweight for this week with Gordon, Matthews and of course Graham on bye. Thankfully, rest of league is set at TE and none of the owners are as active as me on WW, so I'm 99.9% sure I can wait it out till tomorrow evening to see how Reed has got on at practice today and tomorrow. Famous last words.

I was massively hoping that ASJ would do something this week just gone, so could pick him up with some confidence but alas no.

Unrelated to this thread, but wondering how the Reed/ Paul split will work out when both are playing.

Rotoworld:

Dwayne Allen insisted his best play is yet to come.

"No, I don’t feel comfortable," Allen said after missing the 2013 season with a hip injury that required surgery. "It was my goal going into the season because of injuries and not having an offseason to train for this season was to get better all season long." Coach Chuck Pagano agrees that Allen is still "knocking the rust off, so to speak." Allen has seen just 30 targets this season, but has turned that into a 21-305-5 receiving line. He's one of Andrew Luck's go-to guys in the red zone at 6'3/265. We're still truly waiting for Allen to be unleashed.

Source: Colts Blitz
Oct 22 - 8:55 AM

Rotoworld:

Dwayne Allen insisted his best play is yet to come.

"No, I don’t feel comfortable," Allen said after missing the 2013 season with a hip injury that required surgery. "It was my goal going into the season because of injuries and not having an offseason to train for this season was to get better all season long." Coach Chuck Pagano agrees that Allen is still "knocking the rust off, so to speak." Allen has seen just 30 targets this season, but has turned that into a 21-305-5 receiving line. He's one of Andrew Luck's go-to guys in the red zone at 6'3/265. We're still truly waiting for Allen to be unleashed.

Source: Colts Blitz

Oct 22 - 8:55 AM
I say it's a good time to unleash him. We just need a nickname,we can't "unleash the beast",we already have one. Suggestions? "Unleash The Dwaynamal?"

Users who are viewing this thread