What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] - Top 25 under 25 (1 Viewer)

JayMan

Footballguy
Hi guys!

Since we all know that youth does wonder for a [DYNASTY] team - I would like the gurus insight on the rankings I made below - for the offensive positions.

The only criteria required is for the player's birthdate to be on 01.01.1981 or later.

The rankings philiosphy is "Who would I want on my team?" (i.e. possibilities for greatness, longevity, opportunities, skills, coachability, cieling versus floor, stud versus bust potential, etc.)

QB:

1. Eli Manning

2. Matt Leinart

3. Ben Roethlisberger

4. Brady Quinn

5. Vince Young

6. Philip Rivers

7. Jay Cutler

8. Alex Smith

9. Brian Brohm

10. Adrian McPherson

RB:

1. Clinton Portis

2. Ronnie Brown

3. Steven Jackson

4. Willis McGahee

5. Reggie Bush

6. Adrian Peterson

7. Cadillac Williams

8. Cedric Benson

9. LenDale White

10. DeAngelo Williams

11. Kevin Jones

12. Julius Jones

13. Michael Bush

14. Laurence Maroney

15. Tatum Bell

16. Marshawn Lynch

17. Chris Perry

18. Frank Gore

19. Chris Brown

20. Ryan Moats

21. Michael Turner

22. Samkon Gado

23. Kenny Irons

24. Marion Barber III

25. Brandon Jacobs

WR:

1. Larry Fitzgerald

2. Roy Williams

3. Calvin Johnson

4. Andre Johnson

5. Lee Evans

6. Dwayne Jarrett

7. Terry Ginn Jr.

8. Mark Clayton

9. Braylon Edwards

10. Michael Clayton

11. Reggie Brown

12. Nate Burleson

13. Matt Jones

14. Chad Jackson

15. Santonio Holmes

16. Mike Williams

17. Brandon Lloyd

18. Jeff Samardzija

19. Michael Jenkins

20. Roddy White

21. Troy Williamson

22. Sinorice Moss

23. Roscoe Parrish

24. Mark Bradley

25. Vincent Jackson

TE:

1. Jason Witten

2. Heath Miller

3. Vernon Davis

4. Kellen Winslow Jr

5. Chris Cooley

6. Ben Troupe

7. Leonard Pope

8. Marcedes Lewis

9. Dominique Byrd

10. Greg Olsen

Your thoughts...

Very cool. I like Steven Jackson at #2 above Ronnie Brown. I'd bump Caddy up a couple spots. And I think it's too early to give up on Troy Williamson, I think you have him way too low. Think Braylon Edwards is a couple spots too low as well. Think he's going to be a star.

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding the QB's...

Jason Campbell needs to be in the QB group. He would have to be ranked no lower than #9. Aaron Rogers and Charlie Frye definately needs to bump Brohm and McPherson from the list.

I think Alex Smith is way to low. The guy was horrible last season but he has a lock on a starting NFL job. Also, he was the #1 overall pick just 300+ days ago. For many of the same reasons, I feel Rivers needs to be a few spots higher.

I would bump Big Ben over Leinhart. Roth has proved to be a more-than-capable NFL QB, while Leinhart has not played a down yet. Much like WR's, QB's have a higher boom-to-bust ratio than other positions.

This isn't to belittle your concept (of under-25 dynasty rankings), but if you're focusing this much on the age of a player, aren't you more likely to get less value for your picks? Just because a guy is younger than another doesn't mean he's worth more.

Cool list. I would keep an eye on Lynch. If I were to rank them, I would put him right underneath Adrian Peterson. I think he'll move up the charts during this year.

Regarding the QB's...

Jason Campbell needs to be in the QB group. He would have to be ranked no lower than #9. Aaron Rogers and Charlie Frye definately needs to bump Brohm and McPherson from the list.

I think Alex Smith is way to low. The guy was horrible last season but he has a lock on a starting NFL job. Also, he was the #1 overall pick just 300+ days ago. For many of the same reasons, I feel Rivers needs to be a few spots higher.

I would bump Big Ben over Leinhart. Roth has proved to be a more-than-capable NFL QB, while Leinhart has not played a down yet. Much like WR's, QB's have a higher boom-to-bust ratio than other positions.
Interesting points... I don't disagree with any of them... QBs were the thoughest list to come up with... potential versus opportunity...I tend to agree with your Jason Campbell comment... Rodgers or Frye bumping the last two is a valid point also...

I just don't see Smith having any weapons to work with in the near future to warrant him moving up... I can see this argument being valid for Rivers though...

I had Big Ben and Leinart the other way around... had a hard time figuring these two... just the fact that Big Ben plays for the Steelers - not having many opportunities for 300yds games made me go with Leinart who could have these changes early in his career...

Thanks for the reply!

This isn't to belittle your concept (of under-25 dynasty rankings), but if you're focusing this much on the age of a player, aren't you more likely to get less value for your picks? Just because a guy is younger than another doesn't mean he's worth more.
I just did this for the sake of it... obviously, if I can have Larry Johnson on my team (even though he was born in '79) I would jump on that opportunity!I just wanted to put players age in perspective... just think about Portis - he's been in the league for 4 years now... he would seem older than 24...

By no mean do I base my picks only on that aspect... age is just a variable that, I think, you have to take into account when building your team...

I believe it does at the RB position, once a guy hits 28 at RB it's starting to get time to unload him in a dynasty league. Anything beyond 28 and people will start to ding you in trade value due to age. Once he hits 30, you simply aren't going to get much value for him, and the list of guys that really decline when they hit that age is too big. See Ahman Green, Fred Taylor, and a few other recent examples. Even with guys like Tiki, who has stepped up his game, or Dillon who was thriving at 30 and 31, you will be hard pressed to get top value because of age.People are cool with buying a 28 year old back and calling him relatively young though - the key is to unload a guy like that for a guy that is high on this list. Get 3-5 years out of him, and then unload him for another guy high on this list....

06 is the only season that counts IMO. Trade RB's when they are 29 and WR's when they are 33-34 for full value. QB's have full value untill they retire....I dont want a YOUNG rb thats pretty good when i can have SA that is great. Just my 2 cents. Play to win now,you may be dead tomorrow :bye:

This isn't to belittle your concept (of under-25 dynasty rankings), but if you're focusing this much on the age of a player, aren't you more likely to get less value for your picks?  Just because a guy is younger than another doesn't mean he's worth more.
I believe it does at the RB position, once a guy hits 28 at RB it's starting to get time to unload him in a dynasty league. Anything beyond 28 and people will start to ding you in trade value due to age. Once he hits 30, you simply aren't going to get much value for him, and the list of guys that really decline when they hit that age is too big. See Ahman Green, Fred Taylor, and a few other recent examples. Even with guys like Tiki, who has stepped up his game, or Dillon who was thriving at 30 and 31, you will be hard pressed to get top value because of age.People are cool with buying a 28 year old back and calling him relatively young though - the key is to unload a guy like that for a guy that is high on this list. Get 3-5 years out of him, and then unload him for another guy high on this list....
Agree 100%. It's hard to trade a guy like Shaun Alexander after the season he had, but in a dynasty I think now is the time to do it and still get top value for him.

06 is the only season that counts IMO. Trade RB's when they are 29 and WR's when they are 33-34 for full value. QB's have full value untill they retire....I dont want a YOUNG rb thats pretty good when i can have SA that is great. Just my 2 cents. Play to win now,you may be dead tomorrow :bye:
Not in any dynasty leagues I'm in. Not a chance.

Not in any dynasty leagues I'm in. Not a chance.
Me neither. You can get good value at 28 for RBs and around 30 for WRs. Anything after that and you're taking a value hit IMO.

WR:1. Larry Fitzgerald2. Roy Williams3. Calvin Johnson4. Andre Johnson5. Lee Evans6. Dwayne Jarrett7. Terry Ginn Jr.8. Mark Clayton9. Braylon Edwards10. Michael Clayton11. Reggie Brown12. Nate Burleson13. Matt Jones14. Chad Jackson15. Santonio Holmes16. Mike Williams17. Brandon Lloyd18. Jeff Samardzija19. Michael Jenkins20. Roddy White21. Troy Williamson22. Sinorice Moss23. Roscoe Parrish24. Mark Bradley25. Vincent Jackson
just curious why no boldin?

Code:
WR:1. Larry Fitzgerald2. Roy Williams3. Calvin Johnson4. Andre Johnson5. Lee Evans6. Dwayne Jarrett7. Terry Ginn Jr.8. Mark Clayton9. Braylon Edwards10. Michael Clayton11. Reggie Brown12. Nate Burleson13. Matt Jones14. Chad Jackson15. Santonio Holmes16. Mike Williams17. Brandon Lloyd18. Jeff Samardzija19. Michael Jenkins20. Roddy White21. Troy Williamson22. Sinorice Moss23. Roscoe Parrish24. Mark Bradley25. Vincent Jackson
just curious why no boldin?
He's just a bit too old.

thought the title said 25 and under, but as i read it again alas i was wrong. i would still take him over 1/2 those in the list, by the way he is 25.

thought the title said 25 and under, but as i read it again alas i was wrong. i would still take him over 1/2 those in the list, by the way he is 25.
He would undoubtedly be #2 on the list but he was born before 1/1/81

It never hurts to look at the players in a different light, so this is good!

I'd throw out Cedric Houston for consideration in the 20's of the RBs. With his health issue resolved, I really believe he could become a solid talent.

I disagree entirely - playing for 06 is important, but 07 and beyond are equally important. Who wins the title at the end comes down about 50% luck, at least. By fielding a good team for a long period of time, you are more likely to win a title than by pouring all you have into a single season.

T.J. Duckett 02/17/1981 should be in there...

maybe..

Greg Jones 04/04/1981

Mewelde Moore 07/24/1982
You nail it on the head... as those three, along with Ciatrick Fason were the next ones (Duckett, Moore, Fason and Jones - in that order).You can easily argue for any of these instead of Gado, Irons, Barber III or Jacobs in my opinion... I just had to make a choice...

Users who are viewing this thread