What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Elementary teacher among three dead after plane crashes into Minnesota house (1 Viewer)

Caveman33

Footballguy

It seems like ranking people by "importance" or "privilege" has become increasingly common in the media. I see it often with race and gender and now also with occupations. What other jobs would merit recognition in the headline? Are there any occupations that outrank elementary teacher on the hierarchy of privilege?

Can I infer that you are trying to make a political point here, given what/where you posted? Could it just be that teachers tend to be pretty well known within their communities, and that makes it a more interesting story?

Can I infer that you are trying to make a political point here, given what/where you posted? Could it just be that teachers tend to be pretty well known within their communities, and that makes it a more interesting story?
Of course, I intended it as a political point. Your explanation seems plausible but I interpret the situation differently.

More interesting to me would be the occupation of the pilot, their experience flying planes, the circumstances around the flight and any possible contributing factors.

Lol, it's not a very stimulating topic but when I read the article yesterday, I noticed the inclusion of elementary teacher in the headline and thought I would share it with the political forum. I think the hierarchy of privilege within media reporting is quite noticeable if you look for it or are at least open minded.

Of course, I intended it as a political point. Your explanation seems plausible but I interpret the situation differently.

More interesting to me would be the occupation of the pilot, their experience flying planes, the circumstances around the flight and any possible contributing factors.

:rolleyes: I doubt there is some liberal agenda here on the part of news outlets trying to elevate the occupation of the schoolteacher giving it undue importance. The pilot was a certified flight instructor who was working toward getting his commercial license. The other passenger was her brother and the three of them were flying to attend a wedding.

:rolleyes: I doubt there is some liberal agenda here on the part of news outlets trying to elevate the occupation of the schoolteacher giving it undue importance. The pilot was a certified flight instructor who was working toward getting his commercial license. The other passenger was her brother and the three of them were flying to attend a wedding.
Well that's more interesting information than was included in the Yahoo article. But are you sure they were going to attend the wedding, not returning? The people in the house were asleep and had to use a flashlight to see when the plane tore through. I think returning from the wedding would be more likely at that time. Alcohol or other substances could have played a part and the pilot would be more likely to run out of fuel on the return trip.

The bolded is very close to what I think. In this case, the occupation of the pilot seems more interesting and relevant to the story. Yes, you can say that elementary teachers have a greater impact on children within their community and the mention draws more sympathy and reads. Elementary teachers are also mostly female and liberal. I believe it's a high ranking occupation on the hierarchy of privilege.

Well that's more interesting information than was included in the Yahoo article. But are you sure they were going to attend the wedding, not returning? The people in the house were asleep and had to use a flashlight to see when the plane tore through. I think returning from the wedding would be more likely at that time. Alcohol or other substances could have played a part and the pilot would be more likely to run out of fuel on the return trip.

The bolded is very close to what I think. In this case, the occupation of the pilot seems more interesting and relevant to the story. Yes, you can say that elementary teachers have a greater impact on children within their community and the mention draws more sympathy and reads. Elementary teachers are also mostly female and liberal. I believe it's a high ranking occupation on the hierarchy of privilege.

Fretland’s mom says they were traveling to Duluth for a wedding.

And we don't know the occupation of the pilot or her brother, but neither were probably as well known in the community as a local elementary school teacher, hence her occupation being featured in the headline.

Isn't the occupation of the pilot, ummm, pilot?
The pilots who crash these small planes are not usually commercial pilots. According to squisition, this pilot was a flight instructor who was working towards his commercial license. That makes the accident look worse than Harrison Ford's mishaps.

Maybe I'm abnormal but I don't feel more sympathy towards elementary teachers than others. I clicked out of curiosity about the relevance of the occupation to this incident. Consider the roofing or logging occupations. Probably nearly all men. Those occupations will be mentioned if it relates to the accident but I've never seen them mentioned when it has nothing to do with the accident. And they seem like occupations more deserving of sympathy. They are already working in the most dangerous, physically demanding fields so to then be killed in an unrelated incident seems particularly unfortunate.

I understand the point you and others are making about elementary teachers, their impact on children, and the emotion that evokes in some readers. I guess I think that if there is going to be a ranked hierarchy, the loggers and roofers should be placed higher.

The pilots who crash these small planes are not usually commercial pilots. According to squisition, this pilot was a flight instructor who was working towards his commercial license. That makes the accident look worse than Harrison Ford's mishaps.

Maybe I'm abnormal but I don't feel more sympathy towards elementary teachers than others. I clicked out of curiosity about the relevance of the occupation to this incident. Consider the roofing or logging occupations. Probably nearly all men. Those occupations will be mentioned if it relates to the accident but I've never seen them mentioned when it has nothing to do with the accident. And they seem like occupations more deserving of sympathy. They are already working in the most dangerous, physically demanding fields so to then be killed in an unrelated incident seems particularly unfortunate.

I understand the point you and others are making about elementary teachers, their impact on children, and the emotion that evokes in some readers. I guess I think that if there is going to be a ranked hierarchy, the loggers and roofers should be placed higher.

Dude, how many would know a local roofer or logger to the point that they would click on the story as opposed to a local elementary school teacher that might be well known in the community?

Dude, how many would know a local roofer or logger to the point that they would click on the story as opposed to a local elementary school teacher that might be well known in the community?
It's a USA Today headline, I can't imagine many people are clicking while thinking, "I might know this elementary teacher."

I suppose someone should be drawing more attention locally to the loggers and roofers. Their sacrifices are underappreciated.

It's a USA Today headline, I can't imagine many people are clicking while thinking, "I might know this elementary teacher."

I suppose someone should be drawing more attention locally to the loggers and roofers. Their sacrifices are underappreciated.

You really don't get it IMO. What is more likely to get clicks "Logger killed in plane crash" "Roofer killed in plane crash" or "Elementary School Teacher killed in plane crash"? I think if you ran a Twitter poll as to which people would find the most interesting, the last one would be the winner.

You really don't get it IMO. What is more likely to get clicks "Logger killed in plane crash" "Roofer killed in plane crash" or "Elementary School Teacher killed in plane crash"? I think if you ran a Twitter poll as to which people would find the most interesting, the last one would be the winner.
You might be right and I did acknowledge that elementary teachers may evoke more sympathy from some readers. All those headlines would be deceptive, clickbait but based on my imagination I would find "Roofer killed in plane crash" most interesting .

Between roofers, loggers, and elementary teachers, which occupation do you think involves the most sacrifice?

Tragedy sells and generates clicks, and a headline like that makes it seem more tragic. Not sure it needs to be more complicated than that.

Also, honestly would we be surprised if these headlines were generated by a computer after analyzing what words, phrases, and headlines generate clicks? That's far more likely to me than media sites giving two craps about making statements about underappreciated careers.

You might be right and I did acknowledge that elementary teachers may evoke more sympathy from some readers. All those headlines would be deceptive, clickbait but based on my imagination I would find "Roofer killed in plane crash" most interesting .

Between roofers, loggers, and elementary teachers, which occupation do you think involves the most sacrifice?

All those headlines would be deceptive, clickbait but based on my imagination I would find "Roofer killed in plane crash" most interesting .

I'm sure you would along with Dry Wall Installer, but from a press standpoint the one most likely to generate reader interest is about an elementary school teacher, that most readers are probably more likely to know and thus, click on the link.

Ya’ll understand that you can’t pick the profession of the person killed right

:mellow:

Um...yeah

Um...yeah
Ha. So then it doesn’t matter that a teacher would get more clicks than a logger or less clicks then a stripper…if it’s only about clicks you add the job because it generates more interest regardless the profession.

Um...yeah
Ha. So then it doesn’t matter that a teacher would get more clicks than a logger or less clicks then a stripper…if it’s only about clicks you add the job because it generates more interest regardless the profession.

The more well known the victim, the more likely it is to get clicks, not the profession. A celebrity gets more clicks than an office worker. That is the way it has always been with the press and probably the way it will always be.

I don't think it's about the potential of knowing this particular elementary teacher, but more that every reader knows an elementary teacher (their own, their child's, etc). They can imagine a name and/or face, making it more real and emotionally captivating. I don't know any loggers or roofers by name or face and imagine I'm in the majority on that one.

I do agree, though, that including it in the headline in that way, while effective, is in poor taste. Whether or not it's the intent, it has the effect of elevating the one person and making the other's deaths sound less important.

Users who are viewing this thread