What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ESPN 30 for 30 (1 Viewer)

I watched the Flair piece last night and really enjoyed it. I think it was put together really well. Very interesting to hear the lifestyle this wrestling legend has lived. It has to be tough in your older years to look back and think you were a poor husband, a bad father, and one hell of an entertainer when that part of your life has come to an end. I would watch that episode again.

Anyone watch the 2 Bills tonight.   Was looking forward to this one.  Love Belicheck.   Guy is a ####### ruthless assassin.  I'm on the fence with parcels.  Wanted to hear these guys talk it out with all the history they have together and strange twists their lives have taken in relation to one another.   

Anyone watch the 2 Bills tonight.   Was looking forward to this one.  Love Belicheck.   Guy is a ####### ruthless assassin.  I'm on the fence with parcels.  Wanted to hear these guys talk it out with all the history they have together and strange twists their lives have taken in relation to one another.   
I was always under the impression that Parcells had at one time, chunks of guys like* Belichick in his stool.  

ETA:  *actually Belichick

Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoyed the Two Bills last night.  I felt like Parcels came off and a grade A doosh.  I was never a fan of his, and have been a fan of Belichick's run in NE, so I'm probably biased.

I enjoyed the Two Bills last night.  I felt like Parcels came off and a grade A doosh.  I was never a fan of his, and have been a fan of Belichick's run in NE, so I'm probably biased.
He kind of is.   That's the most I've her Belicheck talk.   A lot more human than I anticipated.  

Agreed but it wasn't a surprise to me at all.  Another great 30 for 30.  Next one about Bob Knight has good potential too.

Agreed but it wasn't a surprise to me at all.  Another great 30 for 30.  Next one about Bob Knight has good potential too.
I wasn't much of a fan of the Giants during their run, and wasn't 24/7 football.  I didn't know the details at the time, but I remember the Jets thing being fishy.  By the time he got to Dallas, Parcells was treated as royalty, so I don't think I was getting a clear picture of who he was. 

Agree that the Bob Knight one looks great as well.

Even the bad episodes of this show are good.  

Two Bills was excellent.  Not necessarily entertaining but just a great watch.

Nature Boy was great.  

I finally saw this last night.  I thought it was great to see the lighter younger side of Belicheck.  They've clearly mended their relationship, otherwise there's no way they sit side by side for what must have been a full day. 

It was funny to me when they walk by the Giants trophy case:

BB:  There's our two.  And there's the two we (Patriots) gave them.

BP:  That one there should have been yours.  That Tyree one.  Oh man.

BB:  (shrugs in silence with no expression) 

42-1

Im excited for this one.
Yep I told my 14 year old son an hour ago that we'll be watching this together tomorrow night.  He WILL see the story of one of the most shocking events of my life....that I did not see.  Heard it over the PA system during a time out while I was on the bench during a hoops game my sophomore year of high school.  My government teacher Rod Hanson: "Folks, breaking news from TOKYO......Japan.  Buster Douglas has defeated Mike Tyson.....by knockout......"  Silence.....and then about 3 minutes of buzzing throughout the gym, including the refs talking to each other, the coaches, the players....and then finally got the game going again.   Everyone was in disbelief.  So yeah, my son is 1 year younger than I was when I experienced that.  We're watching.

Just sitting down to watch Kings Ransom, about the Gretzky trade. I know tonight they have one on the band for the Baltimore Colts.

Cool ideas, and ESPN has the resources to do this correctly. Not sure if they will, though.
Over 10 years now..... seems like a newer concept than that

Are these still on the cable channels or is it all ESPN+ now?

Initial showings on ESPN.  Tomorrow night 9 ET/6 PT.
I have my DVR set to record all 30 of 30 so I can pick up the ones I have missed.  They only bad part is it doesn't pick up the ones not named 30 for 30 and have one off individual names.

My 11 year old likes watching these as well as the NFL football lives.

Survive and Advance was on the other night and it is by far my favorite 30 for 30.  NC State's run through the 83 NCAA tournament was unbelievable considering all the NBA talent they beat that year.  Jim Valvano was an incredible human being.
That is a great one.  Such a great coach.

Watched the one on Bobby Knight last week.  Complete opposite end of the spectrum from Valvano.  Disgusting pig of a man and I hope in time, history is way harsher on him than it has been so far.  

Survive and Advance was on the other night and it is by far my favorite 30 for 30.  NC State's run through the 83 NCAA tournament was unbelievable considering all the NBA talent they beat that year.  Jim Valvano was an incredible human being.
:goodposting:       :wolf:  

Jimmy V - I can't find a proper version of it. But it began, originally, with his ESPN speech of "Don't give up. Don't ever give up." Such bravery in the face of certainty. 

It needed Tyson 
It really would have been great to see some Tyson reflections on that night, especially about having his entourage as his Seconds, no enswell etc.

Side note: The enswell (a play on end-swell) was created by a former Chiropractor of mine, Dr. Michael Sabia

For me it was kind of slow moving and really not all that intriguing. Not sure what they could have done different, but I didnt love it. 6/10.
It was disappointing.  You hit the nail on the head with your description.  Maybe it was about expectations and it falling really short of those high expectations 30 for 30 has earned over the years.  I just expected more and like you said I am not sure what "more" I expected.  Probably some retrospective thoughts from Tyson. 

I am guessing it is because the angle for this doc was really from the Buster Douglas perspective. 
So?  Bad job out of them.  

I am still looking forward to seeing it, but the doc from both perspectives would have obviously been better.  A few minutes of sit down with both Buster and Mike woulda been pretty cool also.  

Last edited by a moderator:
So?  Bad job out of them.  

I am still looking forward to seeing it, but the doc from both perspectives would have obviously been better.  A few minutes of sit down with both Buster and Mike woulda been pretty cool also.  
I agree.  I was just guessing at a reason why Tyson didn't have current footage.  It also could be he didn't want to be part of it as he was the loser in the biggest upset in boxing history. 

Dude, I clicked on the link and looked at the channel's list.  Definitely some good shiz here, leading to a rather unproductive day by work standards.   I just watched the 4 part story documenting the Ole' Miss / Miss State (Tunsil, Leo Lewis, Hugh Freeze)  NCAA violation ordeal.     I got totally sucked in and found myself sneaking in moments to watch whenever possible until finishing.    Very cool channel man, thanks !   

Watched the one on Bobby Knight last week.  Complete opposite end of the spectrum from Valvano.  Disgusting pig of a man and I hope in time, history is way harsher on him than it has been so far.  
I stayed away from the Knight episode when it first came out, because I've never had any interest in him or with Indiana basketball. But it was on this afternoon and I had time to kill, so I let myself get sucked in.

Man, it was good. Knight was such a narcissistic sociopath from day one. The way that he talks, the things that he says, everything comes around to ME ME ME. (Best quote is when he's delivering an emotional goodbye message to the Indiana fans, and he tells them "I'd like everyone to take a minute to bow their heads in prayer tonight...and wish me the very best in the future." :lol: )

At first I thought it was a little strange to focus so much on Neil Reed.......but then it dawned on me that they were illustrating the contrast between a person who exudes happiness and spends his professional career showing care and respect for the people he's working with (and was universally beloved as a result)......and a person who does none of those things.

Today after everyone had eaten Christmas lunch at my parents house, dad had on EPSN2, which was showing the Survive and Advance episode. He, my sister, and brother are all NCSU alumni. We all knew what was coming. Dad's eyes started to fill with water during the documentary, and then he started whiping his tears. He loved Jimmy V.  It's hard not to. I know I have told this story before in the old ACC thread, but I'll tell it here. My dad is in the Wolfpack Club, and back then he held some position in it. All I know is Jim was playing in a golf tournament in Winston-Salem (North Carolina), and after the tournament he had to do some type of speech in Burlington (North Carolina). My dad picked him up in Winston-Salem, and drove him to Burlington. My mom was in the front seat with dad, and Jim was in the back seat. She said he was so funny. He was singing along to the radio, and had to change his clothes in the back seat, and he told my mom not to look. :)  He told them that he was thinking that when he stopped coaching, he would like to do broadcasting. He could have done stand-up comedy. Anyway, they remember that moment in time fondly.

I stayed away from the Knight episode when it first came out, because I've never had any interest in him or with Indiana basketball. But it was on this afternoon and I had time to kill, so I let myself get sucked in.

Man, it was good. Knight was such a narcissistic sociopath from day one. The way that he talks, the things that he says, everything comes around to ME ME ME. (Best quote is when he's delivering an emotional goodbye message to the Indiana fans, and he tells them "I'd like everyone to take a minute to bow their heads in prayer tonight...and wish me the very best in the future." :lol: )

At first I thought it was a little strange to focus so much on Neil Reed.......but then it dawned on me that they were illustrating the contrast between a person who exudes happiness and spends his professional career showing care and respect for the people he's working with (and was universally beloved as a result)......and a person who does none of those things.
I thought the focus on Reed was incredibly well done; I had no idea about any of his life's story other than he was the guy Knight choked.  Such a quality kid from a good family.  

There's a FBG legend from Sweden named @charvik who doesn't post much anymore, but was a terrific poster who seemingly had expertise in just about everything.  Giant guy who has black belts but a real gentleman too.  He moved to the US and married a gal whose family was from Bloomington.  Her dad was the trainer for the Hoosiers in the 70s/80s and he worked with Knight.  Charv invited me to Bloomington back in 2006 to attend some wedding festivities and I got to meet his wife's family.  I asked his MIL who was the wife of the trainer what she thought about Bobby Knight and she didn't hesitate or mince words - she looked right at me and said coldly, "He is a bully".  I think she was being nice there, as you could see the look of disdain in her eyes.

Knight asking the Indiana kids to 'pray for him'.....my word. :lmao:

I remember how McCarver went out of his way to embarass him on the broadcast over and over.  The throwing of the water was as petty as the Braves management was about playing two ways.

Users who are viewing this thread