What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Eyes of the Guru (1 Viewer)

Big Log

Footballguy
I just finished reading John's latest Eyes of the Guru and I have to say how money this information is. This is by far the BEST article going for IDP's and worth the price of the FBG subscription in itself. The article focuses on key battles, players with upside, players who are on the downside of their career and up and comer IDP's. Great work! :thumbup: -Chris

Completely agree!!!!!Good stuff. I always feel that my league-mates don't put enough stock in the IDPs and I always feel I have an advantage over them because of it. However, I usually end up going defense too early in the draft and my offense suffers because of it. With information like this, I feel extremely confident that I can stock up on offense and wait on the IDPs because I will be grabbing sleepers that will be studs. Keep it coming!!!!!!!

:yes: great article.My only criticism is the "no value" comments on some of these guys. Maybe I overestimate some, but a few like Rolle, Surtain, and Woolfolk have value in leagues that require 2 CB's to start, while others, Ted Johnson comes to mind first, have some value in deep leagues.The write up makes up for that.

:yes: great article.

My only criticism is the "no value" comments on some of these guys. Maybe I overestimate some, but a few like Rolle, Surtain, and Woolfolk have value in leagues that require 2 CB's to start, while others, Ted Johnson comes to mind first, have some value in deep leagues.

The write up makes up for that.
I agree to an extent but he does state that he used a certian criteria (NAFFA). It would be nice to include more comments for leagues that have DT and CB positional requirements as they are becoming more common. There seem to be very few comments on the DT side of it. It is a great article and the timing (start of camp) is perfect. :thumbup:

Last edited:
In his team breakdowns he does mention most of the players and although he may say no value for NAFFA rules he does explain what roles they are playing in the blurb.

My only criticism is the "no value" comments on some of these guys. Maybe I overestimate some, but a few like Rolle, Surtain, and Woolfolk have value in leagues that require 2 CB's to start, while others, Ted Johnson comes to mind first, have some value in deep leagues.

I agree to an extent but he does state that he used a certian criteria (NAFFA). It would be nice to include comments for leagues that have DT and CB positional requirements as they are becoming more common. It is a great article and the timing (start of camp) is perfect. :thumbup:

Nice job by John Norton! This is another reason I've been pimping FGs to a buddy of mine in another league.

Ahhh, the good old Eyes of the Guru. This is why I was a member of Red Eye for so many years (besides all the other stuff).And think on this: This was only the AFC!My cheatsheet always includes a "Guru comment" column where I put in things like "great #3", "depth", etc. *Really* helps when looking at a choice of 10 DB's for a slot.Hats off to John once again.

fantastic fantastic article, although no one will find james harris on the steelers roster ;)first question for john (if he's reading) - im surprised that demps was not given more of an upgrade for his role as the "extra LB" in 46. Any particular reason you think demps can't be as successful as doug plank was in chicago? i mean plank had singletary in front of him and still led the team in tackles AS A ROOKIE.

Last edited by a moderator:
pretender, I thought of you when I read the Cincy DL blurb - you've been wondering about how the DEs would do there. This was some good speculation on it.Great article - just amazingly good. I suspect there will be a lot of waiver work in the Zealots leagues over the next week.

:bag: I guess he really does have no value.

Man, the inside of the Pats 3-4 D is going to be a lot different.

pretender, I thought of you when I read the Cincy DL blurb - you've been wondering about how the DEs would do there. This was some good speculation on it.

Great article - just amazingly good. I suspect there will be a lot of waiver work in the Zealots leagues over the next week.
Yeah, I read over that whole section a couple of different times. I think I'm glad I'm keeping both Geathers and Smith for now. Should be interesting to see how it developes :yes:

Great Job John! Can't wait for the 2nd installment.
I'm jones(ing) for the 2nd installment. Anyone know when it will be ready for consumption? :hophead:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm jones(ing) for the 2nd installment. Anyone know when it will be ready for consumption?
From the end of the article:
That about does it for the AFC side of this year's pre-season effort. Hope everyone finds something in there that will help in your quest for the Gold. The second half of the report (NFC) should be out during the first week of August. Until then keep in mind that championships are won in the offseason!

Well, let me add my thoughts on this great article too! I love the team and position breakdown. This gives the reader a great view of each teams defe schemes and the IDP's that matter. Not just the top player or 2, but depth and rookies too. This is a great article. I loved it so much I had to read it 3X to fully fathom it's value! Now, no more smoke up the brown wind pipe and to critique a few specific points...Oak LB Travian Smith was actually cut this weekend. Good call there. I had him as a late round sleeper. Oh well, cross that 1 off. However, with the "expected" fast strike Oak Offense, the Def will be on the field alot thus providing potential bonus IDP value. Danny Clark's value is only listed as "solid starter, but not to expect a repeat of last yr's numbers". Who will make up the difference in OAK?Donnie Edwards has been a stud for a few yrs now. However, as he is now 32 yo, should he be down graded a bit? I don't see the SD Def to repeat their 2004 season as the LB corp is aged and slower (IMO). Leber (27 yo) and rookie Merriman offer more long term value than Godfrey (30) and Foley (32). Who will take the reigns in SD's LB corp if Merriman is not the projected stud many have him to be? Just wanted to add my thoughts to a very good article!

fantastic fantastic article, although no one will find james harris on the steelers roster ;)

first question for john (if he's reading) - im surprised that demps was not given more of an upgrade for his role as the "extra LB" in 46. Any particular reason you think demps can't be as successful as doug plank was in chicago? i mean plank had singletary in front of him and still led the team in tackles AS A ROOKIE.
Its not so much that Demps can't be successful as it is that he just has soo much talent around him. I may be short changing him a little but the Ravens D is on the field for a lot fewer plays than most defenses and to be completly honest I'm just not all that impressed with Demps in general. He could be a surprise given the situation but I'll be a skeptic until proven differently.

Well, let me add my thoughts on this great article too!

I love the team and position breakdown. This gives the reader a great view of each teams defe schemes and the IDP's that matter. Not just the top player or 2, but depth and rookies too. This is a great article. I loved it so much I had to read it 3X to fully fathom it's value!

Now, no more smoke up the brown wind pipe and to critique a few specific points...

Oak LB Travian Smith was actually cut this weekend. Good call there. I had him as a late round sleeper. Oh well, cross that 1 off. However, with the "expected" fast strike Oak Offense, the Def will be on the field alot thus providing potential bonus IDP value. Danny Clark's value is only listed as "solid starter, but not to expect a repeat of last yr's numbers". Who will make up the difference in OAK?

Donnie Edwards has been a stud for a few yrs now. However, as he is now 32 yo, should he be down graded a bit? I don't see the SD Def to repeat their 2004 season as the LB corp is aged and slower (IMO). Leber (27 yo) and rookie Merriman offer more long term value than Godfrey (30) and Foley (32). Who will take the reigns in SD's LB corp if Merriman is not the projected stud many have him to be?

Just wanted to add my thoughts to a very good article!
Just a couple of short answers here, I believe Kirk Morrison is going to eat up a few of Clark's tackles and Clark isn't much of a play maker so he won't make up for it with picks or sacks. Yes Edwards is 32 but he made 109 solo tackles last year and will continue to be the center piece of the Charders defense. No matter how young they may be, Leber and Merriman are playing the outside in a 3-4 scheme. The position has a lot of limitations when it comes to box scores. The other factor is that Foley will start all season and proved his abilities last year. Merriman is a rook and will lileky end up sharing time with Leber which will basically ruin them both.

To the comment that the Chargers won't repeat last year's performance.. That may be true but if they falter it will simply make even more opportunity as these guys will be on the field for more plays.

Just wanted to thank you all for the props! :football: Comments like these send a little chill up my spine and make it all worth the effort. The second half is in the can and will be up soon I am sure. Hope everyone enjoys it just as much.

Users who are viewing this thread