What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Family Guys, What Do You Make for Dinner? (1 Viewer)

so tonight... daughter went over to boyfriend's... just mrs and i.  jerk shrimp tacos with mexican street corn and grilled pineapple salsa. pretty quick prep (aside from corn, but can do everything else while it is cooking)

@SWC

Last edited by a moderator:
rice bowls, noodle bowls rule.
Agree with this—and they can be made easily. I will get a rotisserie chicken from costco and de-bone it and chop the chicken up.   I get one of those bags of veggies that you can steam in the microwave.  I’ll warm the chicken in a pan, toss the veggies in after they are steamed, add some of my favorite teriyaki sauce, sprinkle some sesame seeds on the top and put on a bed of rice or noodles in a bowl.  I like mine with a little kick so I add sriracha.  Super quick, affordable, healthy and tasty. 

If you've got small kids and you feel like impressing them with some fun molecular gastronomy, order yourself some of this stuff on the internet.  If you mix it with a little water and basically any cheese in the world it will make a creamy cheese sauce, which you can then pour over pasta and bake for no fuss no muss homemade mac and cheese, no need to make a bechamel or any of that stuff.  Tastes more like the boxed stuff they're used to also.

There's a recipe here but you really only need the first half of Step 2, the rest you can tinker with (also you don't need an immersion blender, hand mixer works fine). I like to let my kids run wild in the cheese section and try stuff out.

jvdesigns2002 said:
Agree with this—and they can be made easily. I will get a rotisserie chicken from costco and de-bone it and chop the chicken up.   I get one of those bags of veggies that you can steam in the microwave.  I’ll warm the chicken in a pan, toss the veggies in after they are steamed, add some of my favorite teriyaki sauce, sprinkle some sesame seeds on the top and put on a bed of rice or noodles in a bowl.  I like mine with a little kick so I add sriracha.  Super quick, affordable, healthy and tasty. 
the keys for a good bowl for me is my homeade szechuan pepper oil & the mandoline. whatever scrap or ground meat, i sautee with an onion and spices, slice a carrot & celery stalk superduper thin on the mandoline (watch yer fingers) and toss it in, deglaze with some broth and season w a couple good blasts of my pepper oil (never get tired of that narcotic taste on my tongue). i keep a tub of bacon grease/flour roux in the fridge if i wanna thicken to a sauce and might add hoisin or sambal, depending on mood. done before the rice or noodles are cooked

couple good blasts of my pepper oil (never get tired of that narcotic taste on my tongue). i keep a tub of bacon grease/flour roux in the fridge if i wanna thicken to a sauce and might add hoisin or sambal

all staples at our house - I need to start making our own - we buy the crushed chilies in oil and straight chili oil to keep loosening up the other. 

Also - good fish sauce (red boat), light and dark soy sauce, gochujang hot bean paste, gochuguru (chili flakes), black bean paste, regular rice vinegar, mirin, white pepper and szechuan peppercorns (some ground, some whole). 

love the idea of making the roux ahead - how long does it keep?  We keep cubes of bacon grease in the freezer and pull it out as needed.  

love the idea of making the roux ahead - how long does it keep?  We keep cubes of bacon grease in the freezer and pull it out as needed.  
several months in a jar (i use a low wide jar from a salsa) - much more airtight than tubs.

when we have pancakes & bacon, i strain the bacon grease thru fine mesh into another pan, stir in flour, let it cook til it just gets a hint of color, then cool, jar it up. never had it long enough to sour or give anyone mudbutt and ive used it close to six months old. adds just a hint of taste and thickens anything liKAT. that and mac/cheese powder are the two items i'm surprised arent in the stores - handyass thangs.

I have cooked pretty much every meal in the 20+ years we've been married.  Role reversal even though I work 50+ hours/week.  She just works a lot more.  Now that the kids are gone I don't cook anymore, but I had a ton of meals. 

Some take a little bit of work ... meaning you gotta know the recipe and piece it together

• Chicken and Dumplings
  • Chicken Noodle Casserole
  • Lasagna
  • Chicken Marsala
  • Chicken Parm
  • Chili
Some were super easy...

I probably had a rotation of about 30 meals going.  You can find anything online.  There is no shortage of recipes

One thing that we started doing a few years back is meal planning for the week / month.  I have a google calendar template where I will map out the week and then start filling in some other days as well.  (Usually I end up having next month planned out by the end of the current month with maybe a few blanks)  Find a recipe that sounds good throw it on the calendar to make  sometime in the next few weeks

also helps if you have kids with multiple activities, you know Wednesdays need to be something quick and easy or whatever, or someone’s birthday is coming up you can plan a night out

Helps keep repeats down as well since you can see what you’ve had over the last few weeks

good for grocery shopping as well since you can focus on what you need for those meals

Have to call the occasional audible but it’s worked good for us.

Also if you have a missing day, and you’ve already got beef, chicken and fish on the menu or whatever for the week just Google pork dishes and try to hone in on those options 

I’ll try to post some of my favorite internet recipes when I have more time, I save a lot of them on a Google word doc for easy reference

If you've got small kids and you feel like impressing them with some fun molecular gastronomy, order yourself some of this stuff on the internet. If you mix it with a little water and basically any cheese in the world it will make a creamy cheese sauce, which you can then pour over pasta and bake for no fuss no muss homemade mac and cheese, no need to make a bechamel or any of that stuff. Tastes more like the boxed stuff they're used to also.

There's a recipe here but you really only need the first half of Step 2, the rest you can tinker with (also you don't need an immersion blender, hand mixer works fine). I like to let my kids run wild in the cheese section and try stuff out.
I just discovered sodium citrate last week by accidentally stumbling across an article about it. I immediately ordered some from Amazon and am making Mac & Cheese with it tonight. Can't wait to see how it turns out, one thing I've never been able to do is make a good home made Mac & cheese, it always turns out gloppy and gritty.

good home made Mac & cheese, it always turns out gloppy and gritty.

Grate your own cheese. The pre-grated stuff is covered in a starch to keep it from clumping, some of which doesn't cook down and causes grittiness.

It also helps to let the roux cool a bit before adding the grated cheese to the sauce.
Good info here

I was just thinking the other day of a thread like this. We are tired of the same old and looking for some ideas

Grate your own cheese. The pre-grated stuff is covered in a starch to keep it from clumping, some of which doesn't cook down and causes grittiness.

It also helps to let the roux cool a bit before adding the grated cheese to the sauce.
Yeah, I've tried lots of different ways, its just something I've never been able to nail, which is weird cuz I've been a chef and can cook almost anything.

I also used to have problems with hard boiled eggs, but since we got an instant pot a few years ago, they come out perfect every time.

Roux, cream or half and half, then incorporate your cheeses.... i also like adding lardons. top with breadcrumbs...hit under broiler

I miss all the meal planning and snack/sweets array available for the family. Son has been gone (moved out almost 2 years) and our daughter is a half-hour away at college so it's just me and the wife. I picked up my daughter every day from 3rd grade on and took her food shopping with me always on the way home. Really proud of her food shopping habits - I always showed my food plan based on what was on sale, how to look for price per ounce, which store branded stuff was worth buying vs name brand, and what stuff to get at Walmart vs Kroger based on price and what's better.

It is nice that we have the kids & MIL over for Sat or Sun dinner every couple of weeks and I'll cook them a week day meal about once a week.

Anyone that wants a routine selection of what we used to rotate - I'll put it together.

One of the best ones i've made at home and everyone loves is a simple chicken and veggies. Sear some chicken breasts, take it out and deglaze with chicken stock. Throw in some diced carrots and let them simmer in the stock while you cut up some zucchini and let the chicken rest (covered). After the chicken has cooled, dice it and throw it and the juices you collected into the pan. I usually throw the zucchini in with about 5min left of the cook so it doesn't turn to mush. Both kids always come back for seconds with this.

I also do basically the same thing with cauliflower instead of zucchini, too.

Ah, for dinner tonight, we're diving into some Instapot chicken recipes! There's something magical about tossing ingredients into that sleek device and letting it work its culinary wizardry. Tonight, it's all about a savory garlic herb chicken with tender potatoes and carrots. The Instapot does all the heavy lifting while we catch up on the latest Family Guy episodes. It's the perfect combo of effortless cooking and quality family time. Plus, the aroma filling the house? Absolutely irresistible. So, who's ready for dinner?

Last edited:
Cool thread. I'm the cook so far in our family since baby boy came. No activities yet to speak of though.

My biggest reliance has been on "sous vide meat of some kind" + sauteee or roast a veggie of some kind + add a starch.

Easy chicken recipe is to use your favorite baked (oven) fried chicken recipe, then after it bakes: take some honey and pour on said chicken. Then reach for a bottle of Tabasco and sprinkle to your hearts content. Honey Tabasco Chicken! Short cut: Mikes Hot Honey. Hot sauce guy might chime in here, but I like the taste of Tabasco mixed with honey more than most hot sauces on chicken.

Easy chicken recipe is to use your favorite baked (oven) fried chicken recipe, then after it bakes: take some honey and pour on said chicken. Then reach for a bottle of Tabasco and sprinkle to your hearts content. Honey Tabasco Chicken! Short cut: Mikes Hot Honey. Hot sauce guy might chime in here, but I like the taste of Tabasco mixed with honey more than most hot sauces on chicken.
Franks was made for chicken imo

Franks was made for chicken imo
I like franks as a buffalo style wing flavor.

I do 95% of the cooking and wouldn't have it any other way. The boys and the wife get to play games or watch some stupid videos while I get to sip a beverage and work my magic. Nothing more rewarding than seeing my family devour my latest creation. Also nothing more humbling then the rejection of some experimental dish.

Last night was a broccolini/chickpea/lemon ricotta side, grilled maple salmon, roasted and smashed potatoes, and a small cucumber tomato salad. Delish

I still really enjoy cooking when i have the time...

quick, easy meals this coming week:

chicken satay with thai salad, ginger/lime dressing
shrimp tacos
either chopped salad or panzanella
beef stir fry with 2 kinds of mushrooms, broccoli, oyster sauce
chipotle/garlic chicken tacos

I do 95% of the cooking and wouldn't have it any other way. The boys and the wife get to play games or watch some stupid videos while I get to sip a beverage and work my magic. Nothing more rewarding than seeing my family devour my latest creation. Also nothing more humbling then the rejection of some experimental dish.

Last night was a broccolini/chickpea/lemon ricotta side, grilled maple salmon, roasted and smashed potatoes, and a small cucumber tomato salad. Delish
Exact same situation for me too. Tonight I made a Lasagna primavera. lol my son was cramming it in his mouth while asking 'why does the lasagna have carrots in it???'

This one is a family favorite, and I make it at least every few weeks. Thanks to @TheFanatic from his website Grillinfools.com,

Yellow or orange bell pepper
Cream Cheese
Grape tomatoes cut in half
Pepperoni
Sliced cheese of choice(Muenster or Havarti works great here)

This is easily adaptable to the oven. That is mostly what I use these days.

Preheat oven to 350

Cut the peppers in half lengthways, and clean out the ribs and seeds. Using the back of a spoon, spread cream cheese into the inside of each half of pepper. Put 3-4 tomato halves in, and top with some pepperoni. Put in a pan and in the oven for 30 minutes. Put a slice or two of the sliced cheese on top and put back in the oven for 10 minutes or so.

Users who are viewing this thread