What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG business Thread (1 Viewer)

I'm also brainstorming business ideas. Ideally, I'd like to sell a product or service that can be offered from a pop-up table on the street. In SF, licensing is not necessary. Stolen goods are sold openly. The location that I plan to use along Market St. already has a few weed and jewelry vendors.

Reactions: KGB
I own a small pool company, and have started a few losers too. So I have experience in what NOT to do too, which is important.

might be fun to help each other out.

Currently, im considering starting facebook ads. I could use some knowledge.

1) Advice 1. NEVER EVER talk or use YELP

Can you tell us more about the business?

What is the biggest problem you're trying to solve for the business?

.So I have experience in what NOT to do too, which is important.
Interested what mistakes you made/have seen.

I have a cannabis manufacturing company, and we are digging into marketing/branding.

What about Facebook Groups in your area? The local ones that are town-specific.
Someone here was recently starting a cigar brand.

Paging @Hot Sauce Guy . There's been quite a few FBGs who are small business owners. I'm always impressed with those who can go out on their own. I'm more risk averse so I've always been with a large company (although in these times I know that can flip on a dime as well).

I own a small pool company, and have started a few losers too. So I have experience in what NOT to do too, which is important.

Hi, been in business since 2012, and have some experience with FB ads (which are now also IG ads since FB bought IG)

My experience with click-based advertisement is that I don’t entirely trust it.

You’re paying for reach. Much of the reach you’re paying for are your own followers, because FB put a governor on your followers ability to view your content until you pay to show it to them. It’s how they monetized. It was a crappy predatory plan then and it remains a crappy predatory plan now.

They also data mine your followers friends - that’s the expanded reach.

Partly I don’t advertise there because I don’t want to give them money as I believe they’re an evil company that actively does harm by failing to filter bad actors who use FB to flood the zone with crap in attempt to influence people to believe that masses of users believe certain things, when most of the time it’s 1 person who controls multiple groups. Often an “I love puppies” meme group will shift to a hard right political group overnight, but I digress.

Mainly I don’t use them because I’ve done some experimenting where I ran ads, and FB told me my website received 1000 clicks (or whatever) and I’ll go check my website’s reporting and see that it generated ~50 clicks.

Since I’m paying for each click, I don’t love when those numbers don’t match.

So speaking at a high level, I’m not a big fan of FB advertising.

Wife and I are brainstorming business ideas and have been for a little while now.

I was self employed for over a decade doing home inspections but I couldn't grow the company because I couldn't trust others to do a thorough job inspecting and I got burned out. It was a lot of work for a few hundred bucks. A lot of liability too.

Been thinking about getting into some home improvement. Maybe start just doing fences and drainage and ramp up from there.

I know carpet/flooring like the back of my hand but the markup is not there.

If I could find a widget to sell that would be cool, too.

:spitballin:

Hi, been in business since 2012, and have some experience with FB ads (which are now also IG ads since FB bought IG)

You’re paying for reach. Much of the reach you’re paying for are your own followers, because FB put a governor on your followers ability to view your content until you pay to show it to them. It’s how they monetized. It was a crappy predatory plan then and it remains a crappy predatory plan now.

Partly I don’t advertise there because I don’t want to give them money as I believe they’re an evil company that actively does harm by failing to filter bad actors who use FB to flood the zone with crap in attempt to influence people to believe that masses of users believe certain things, when most of the time it’s 1 person who controls multiple groups. Often an “I love puppies” meme group will shift to a hard right political group overnight, but I digress.

Mainly I don’t use them because I’ve done some experimenting where I ran ads, and FB told me my website received 1000 clicks (or whatever) and I’ll go check my website’s reporting and see that it generated ~50 clicks.

It's been a few years since I advertised on FB (and I did it when I was running for office), but they weren't charging by the click, iirc. It was for how many impressions or whatnot. I was impressed because they could really target both individual demographics and area, which I found helpful. It was pretty cheap too.

I never used it for my business (copywriting/marketing) because my core client isn't clicking around there. Adwords always did better for me (that one is PPC).

Wife and I are brainstorming business ideas and have been for a little while now.

I was self employed for over a decade doing home inspections but I couldn't grow the company because I couldn't trust others to do a thorough job inspecting and I got burned out. It was a lot of work for a few hundred bucks. A lot of liability too.

Been thinking about getting into some home improvement. Maybe start just doing fences and drainage and ramp up from there.

This type of work does not get any easier as we get older. Definitely think about that - if home inspections burned you out, will fencing be different?

I'm a soloprenuer and hit the growth wall too. I tried to get past it but I found I hated managing others. I scaled back to "just me" and took on more higher end work. I'll never level up and be rich doing this but I make enough and I'm happy doing it. That counts.

This type of work does not get any easier as we get older. Definitely think about that - if home inspections burned you out, will fencing be different?

I'm a soloprenuer and hit the growth wall too. I tried to get past it but I found I hated managing others. I scaled back to "just me" and took on more higher end work. I'll never level up and be rich doing this but I make enough and I'm happy doing it. That counts.

Oh, IM not doing the physical work. Need workers for that.

Reactions: jwb

It's been a few years since I advertised on FB (and I did it when I was running for office), but they weren't charging by the click, iirc. It was for how many impressions or whatnot. I was impressed because they could really target both individual demographics and area, which I found helpful. It was pretty cheap too.

I never used it for my business (copywriting/marketing) because my core client isn't clicking around there. Adwords always did better for me (that one is PPC).
actually now that you mention it, it is based on reach, which I also touched on.

But it did bother my that FB reporting didn’t match my website’s reporting for clicks.

That was my main issue with it.

The pay for reach just irritated me because I had my business page for a few years before they monetized, and all the people who explicitly followed my page suddenly stopped seeing my posts unless I paid FB to show them.

I own a short term rental property management company (Airbnb, VRBO, etc) and we use Facebook ads regularly.

The #1 thing you have to do before you even think about starting to dabble in facebook ads is identify your guest avatar. The thing that makes facebook ads so powerful is that you can drill down so deep into exactly who is getting served your ads. If you're not doing that you lose the entire advantage of facebook and you may as well be throwing money at billboards or radio commercials.

You need to identify the exact demographics, interests, tendencies of your target customer and hammer that.

ETA: This is for ads, not boosting posts on your business page. The ads are where the money is, not your business page.

ETA2: Pro tip: Buy/sell/trade groups on facebook are the most underrated thing ever. Pretty good conversion rate there in a lot of industries and completely free.

State the price of your product/service with confidence and shut up. Explaining why or inviting negotiations just sets an immediate tone that whatever you’re offering isn’t worth it.

This was the best business advice I’ve ever received.

This is good advice. When I first started I was “cheap” trying to get a foothold. I was always fair in my pricing but looking back a competitor of mine charged twice as much as me and did quite well. His thinking was if he was crazy expensive customers would question other companies for being cheaper than his company and figured they were getting more for their buck.

I won’t ever haggle with a customer again.

Working for others sucks big time. I’ve had almost as much as I can handle.

Since it’s been awhile for me….

How about getting started advice…..

Wife is both female and a minority so she will be the owner.
Secure a trade name
Get a tax ID

Then start hitting up banks for business loans to purchase vehicles/equipment?

Secure a trade name
Get a tax ID

I've been deep into the business lending world the last decade. The sad truth is banks/most other credible lenders don't like excessive risk, so they rarely - if ever - loan to startups, especially these days. Banks and other lender will loan to *you* of course, but not the biz itself (because it has no credit history). So for almost all startup financing, you're really talking about using savings / home equity / second mortgage / personal loan / credit cards / private loans from family / etc.

Even going through the SBA / other govt programs can be difficult and not really what you expect - the SBA really only acts as a backup guarantor, and you would have generally needed to personally qualify for the loan the first place, putting up a personal guarantee / house / etc. Still, that is a possible avenue if your biz plan is good enough and you have some, but not enough, collateral. Lots of paperwork on this road too - biz plan needs to be pretty complete/impressive.

I would guess your wife being the owner and a minority may open a few grant doors. I know nothing about that stuff, except that there will certainly be lots of paperwork / biz plan stuff there too.

I own a short term rental property management company (Airbnb, VRBO, etc) and we use Facebook ads regularly.

The #1 thing you have to do before you even think about starting to dabble in facebook ads is identify your guest avatar. The thing that makes facebook ads so powerful is that you can drill down so deep into exactly who is getting served your ads. If you're not doing that you lose the entire advantage of facebook and you may as well be throwing money at billboards or radio commercials.

You need to identify the exact demographics, interests, tendencies of your target customer and hammer that.

ETA: This is for ads, not boosting posts on your business page. The ads are where the money is, not your business page.

ETA2: Pro tip: Buy/sell/trade groups on facebook are the most underrated thing ever. Pretty good conversion rate there in a lot of industries and completely free.
I tried using FB to advertise our Vacasa rental, and my ads kept getting shot down by FB for potentially being discriminatory. It was the strangest thing, and I couldn’t figure out why I kept getting flagged. Eventually just said “eff it.”

I tried using FB to advertise our Vacasa rental, and my ads kept getting shot down by FB for potentially being discriminatory. It was the strangest thing, and I couldn’t figure out why I kept getting flagged. Eventually just said “eff it.”

This is a common issue/mix-up for STRs.

If you choose "for rent" (or whatever facebook labels it) then you will run into this issue. That category was really designed for long term rentals, which are legally considered "housing", and housing is subject to anti-discrimination laws, which then prevents you from targeting your ads based on demographics.

STRs are not housing and don't belong in that category, and hence not subject to those advertising laws. You need to select a different category. Occasionally facebook will automatically re-categorize you into that category (especially if the algorithm picks up words like "rent" etc in your ad), but then you just have to submit a ticket to have the ad reviewed and explain that it is a vacation rental, and subject to hotel/resort laws, and they will push it through. Once you've done this a few times with a few different ads they'll notate your account so future ads don't get re-categorized automatically into housing.

This is a common issue/mix-up for STRs.

If you choose "for rent" (or whatever facebook labels it) then you will run into this issue. That category was really designed for long term rentals, which are legally considered "housing", and housing is subject to anti-discrimination laws, which then prevents you from targeting your ads based on demographics.

STRs are not housing and don't belong in that category, and hence not subject to those advertising laws. You need to select a different category. Occasionally facebook will automatically re-categorize you into that category (especially if the algorithm picks up words like "rent" etc in your ad), but then you just have to submit a ticket to have the ad reviewed and explain that it is a vacation rental, and subject to hotel/resort laws, and they will push it through. Once you've done this a few times with a few different ads they'll notate your account so future ads don't get re-categorized automatically into housing.
Sheesh, that would have been good to know. We switched over to long term rental last fall.

I have a cannabis manufacturing company, and we are digging into marketing/branding.

Well, 1 business I had was kinda a temp business of installing SSL certs for peoples websites. basically I learned that google chrome was going to flag any website that didnt have one with a big WARNING FLAG.

So, I tried to figure out google ads. put in a couple hundred bucks and made a $4000 sale the next day. Ended up spending that and more into google ads. :wall:
you do need to know what your are doing a bit lol

As far as the facebook groups like neighbor hood groups, buy sell and trade groups (local), and city groups.... I love em. I basically built my pool business on them.
If you are a service based business I highly recommend.

BUT. As soon as someone needs landscaping, pool, pest, weed control, there are 100 responses in like 10 minutes. no lie. So what I do is respond with my website, then I directly message them with an easy question. like "do you have an above ground or in ground pool?" and leave my website again.

They get overwhelmed with all the responses and just defualt to the easy way out often. chatting with me :)

Can you tell us more about the business?

What is the biggest problem you're trying to solve for the business?
Things are actually great, im expanding, so dont really have any issues, just looking to make more sales :drive:

Someone here was recently starting a cigar brand.
That was me actually. its going SLOWLY, but still alive. my partners have been super busy and the cigar business is more of a hobby business right now.
My logo and stuff with the sugar skulls is a bust as someone is doing something kinda similar. Were starting this with only a few grand, so not looking to get into legal battles right away.

So were pivoting. We will be talking more next month and I will update.

Good to know. I have a friend that knows google ads pretty well and im only going for local, where you would be nationwide or world wide. But yeah, PPC pay per click is dangerous for sure. and I worry about competitors clicking to mess with my stats and $$$

Yeah, for pools, no one really goes on facebook hoping to see a pool ad. so, maybe FB isnt right for me and the pool business. google might be better.

PRO TIP 2. I totally agree, I LOVE the buy sell trade groups too!

Secure a trade name
Get a tax ID

I like to...
  1. see if the domain is available on godaddy.
  2. Then pick my business name
  3. then go to the state and register, get EIN, etc. Legal zoom can help with this if you are too busy to do it yourself, but way cheaper to do yourself. TIME vs $$$
One way to build business credit with with ULINE. they will give just about any business a credit line to start building your business credit.

I started the pool business with just $500. didnt need alot of equipment though.,
After a bit, I got the AMAZON business AMEX card. and use that for all my purchases, I buy alot of chems each month. so I get some nice points.

So, YELP is awful, I hate them.

Home advisor/angi/angis list is actually all the same company. If you ask 100 people, 99 will say they hate this company also. I dont.

There are 2 was to spend money with them

1) you pay them and if someone goes on their website and searches "pool" you can pay to be at the top, like google ads. I did not have luck with this.
2) someone goes to them and they click "pool service" the lead goes out to like 5 companies and we fight. most companies hate this but I have had success.
For success.....
  • You HAVE TO call them right away. Like within minutes. you want to be the first man in.
  • I have a sales background, so I know how to talk to people. Ask alot of questions. You are not really looking to make the sale over the phone. your "sale" is to be invited to the home, now youve spent 15 min on the phone and 20 min at the house. If you are legit, you should be able to close the deal.
  • If they dont answer phone. call right back. alot of people dont answer phone from unknown number. if you call twice, they are more likely.
  • If you cant get on phone, you can message them through the ANGI app. do this and include your website.

Another thing I use facebook for.

SO, of course you will have a business profile, another poster said he doesnt like paying to boost a post from the business profile. Ive never tried. BUT what I do is use it for customer retention/upsells.

This may only work for a handfull of businesses, but I take photos of the dogs on my route and talk about how I have a new friend or mascot, etc. I get tons of likes and I have very good customer retention. I also do small give a ways. That why I was asking if there is a new "stanley cup" in the market, becuase I dont give away crap. Ive given away coolers, YETI rambles, etc.

I just ask them to "reply below" or pick a number between 1-100 or something. Sometimes I even make a video using the random number generator.

Just thinking outloud

Good to know. I have a friend that knows google ads pretty well and im only going for local, where you would be nationwide or world wide. But yeah, PPC pay per click is dangerous for sure. and I worry about competitors clicking to mess with my stats and $$$
I was reminded that it’s more pay per reach.

Regardless I had mistrust with their numbers. I don’t believe it reaches as many as they claim.

And it depends on how reach is counted. Did someone scroll past the ad, and they counted that as reach?

In that regard it would be no more effective than a billboard.

I pay google. Seems like you have to. And it does generate web orders. But it costs a lot.

The tools to handle in-house marketing and branding are kind of awesome. With AI and freelance websites, you can get looking really professional right off the bat. For $100, you can get a logo/branding, full suite of professional images all sized for each social media, and have a video reel created showing your brand on a screen in Times Square. And you can probably get it for cheaper than that.

Our industry is swag-heavy, so we are digging into the clothing trade a little bit, and man, it is really interesting.

We are looking to have nicer than average swag, because our entire business is on a state level, so a bunch of young staff loving our beanie is simply going to be worth so much more to us than a social media post.

At least, that's what we think.

The tools to handle in-house marketing and branding are kind of awesome. With AI and freelance websites, you can get looking really professional right off the bat. For $100, you can get a logo/branding, full suite of professional images all sized for each social media, and have a video reel created showing your brand on a screen in Times Square. And you can probably get it for cheaper than that.

Our industry is swag-heavy, so we are digging into the clothing trade a little bit, and man, it is really interesting.

We are looking to have nicer than average swag, because our entire business is on a state level, so a bunch of young staff loving our beanie is simply going to be worth so much more to us than a social media post.

At least, that's what we think.
How do you use AI for business branding/marketing? or maybe I should ask, how does a smalll company? referral?

SO, for me, an average pool guy does 75 to 80 pools. I have 180.

I have 2 guys, so, I have 20 left over that I do.
I like to get to 50 and then hire someone. but I have a good prospect, so, if hes willing, I will bring him on with 20 and grow him. thats where im at

So do you own the units or just managing them for others? We built a nice one bedroom apartment in our basement for our son. He’s moving out in a year or so. We want to use it as additional income but don’t know if we want full time tenants. Real estate friend told me we could rent it for $1000- $1200 a month.

Not sure a one bedroom would do well on Airbnb. We are in the DC region. Thoughts @FreeBaGeL ?

Debating getting into a Artificial grass/ turf cleaning company.

Should be pretty easy to start.

Anyone know of the best cleaning machine (commercial grade}) and stuff for pets?

Users who are viewing this thread