What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG IDP Projections Are In (1 Viewer)

Hello everyone,

Let me answer some of your questions. For starters the IDP projections ARE one man's opinion and not a collective. It would be very tough to collect and sort projections by several different guys so I got picked to stick my neck out for you guys to rip on  :X  

Keep in mind its only May. A lot can happen between now and the beginning of the season. Also keep in mind that these are PROJECTIONS and not rankings. There is a HUGE difference. Some projections come with a lot of confidence and others  admittedly seem like a bit of a stretch but I don't just stick numbers beside a guy for no reason. After all its the "out of the ordinary" stuff everyone is lookng for isn't it? The whole point here is to find sleepers etc. Heck everyone knows Ray Lewis is an animal. Some of the comments in this thread remind me of those from a couple of years back when I projected Andra Davis as a top 15 LB while Barry Gardner was still listed as the starter. You guys need to look beyond the current depth charts. I go much deeper in my consideration that just last years stats.

Rapture, you can't have it both ways. In one reply you claim that we just copy last years depth charts and in another you want to burn us at the stake for deviating from what last years numbers would suggest. You should check out a guys track record before being so critical. Instead of blurting out how ridicules you think a projection is, maybe you should explore the reasoning first. You obviously have a lot of knowledge but just because someone sees something a little different than you, don't assume they are wrong. A wise man once told me "one should always coat his words with honey for you never know when you may be called upon to eat them". 

So now on to the answers. I project Mitchell so highly because next to Dansby he is the team's most talented linebacker AND he is playing in the most fantasy productive position of MLB. It wasn't long ago when a very average Ronald McKinnon was putting up nearly 100 solo tackles every year from that spot. Orlando Huff is a very average player who I don't believe has a sniff of a shot at starting and if Gerald Hayes was the answer wouldn't he have emerged as the starter last year? He's had his shot and didn't measure up. He's not a Dennis Green player and I don't believe he will amount to much this season unless there are injuries. You can't always look at where a guy was drafted to determine what his chances of success are. Get over the fact that Mitchell was a 5th round pick, he was a steal.

Kailee Wong VS Morlon Greenwood. Both Sharper and Foreman posted excellent tackle numbers in that defense. I project Wong higher based on history and what I think of the player more than what position he is PENCILED in at. Wong played MLB for the Vikings at one point putting up 84 and 83 solo tackles in consecutive years ('00 & '01). He was a pretty solid fantasy option at that point and is a good football player. Greenwood's career high is just 66 tackles and that came last year when the Dolphins were horrible. I simply am not at all impressed with the guy. Comparing him to Sharper? That's like calling a VW Beetle a Porsche. I also believe that Wong will be the passing down LB which will make all the difference in the world. Remember that Sharper and Foreman both made a lot of tackles but Sharper was so much better than Foreman because of all the big plays. Wong can rush the passer while Greenwood has 3 career sacks... 

Gibril Wilson VS Shaun Williams. Yes Williams will be the starter at SS and "should" be more productive, but the guys hasn't played a full season since '02 and only put up 66 tackles then because he played gimpy half the season. I believe he has lost a step. Wilson was nothing short of impressive in his short stint last season. My projections are based on the probability that Williams will not play a full schedule and even if he does I believe Wilson could be more productive. While SS generally produces more tackles this is not written in stone. There have been exceptions in the past. 

Guys I'll say again its only the end of May and this is the first run on the projections. As the season gets closer and I see that some of my expectations may not happen, there will be adjustments made and plenty of updates to come. As to the comment " If someone took this cheatsheet with them come draft day, it would be deadly". I would put my projections up against anyone who is doing them at the same time. If you take my May projections to your draft in August.. well that might be a problem  :P

Those of you who keep calling these projections "rankings" need to take a look at the actual cheat sheet I made up. While I use the projections as a guideline, the cheat better represents the amount of confidence I have in some of the numbers as well as the level of consistency of the players.

Hope this clarifies some of the issues for everyone. I make mistakes like everyone else but there is always reason behind everything I put out there. If you want to know more about my train of thought look for my "Eyes of the Guru" report that will be out later in the summer. I get pretty extensive in my positional breakdowns.

Best of luck to everyone,

Reb
Let me give you some advice, learn how to handle negative feedback, without being defensive. You get paid to give your opinion whether I, or anyone else here agrees with it. I just dont get why you felt the need to write a half page narrative defending yourself. If you were secure with your research and the time you put into this, I dont think you would have addressed this in this way, but rather say lets revisit at seasons end. Personally I think my rankings would school yours in accuracy, but I wouldnt expect you to agree with me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me give you some advice, learn how to handle negative feedback, without being defensive. You get paid to give your opinion whether I, or anyone else here agrees with it. I just dont get why you felt the need to write a half page narrative defending yourself. If you were secure with your research and the time you put into this, I dont think you would have addressed this in this way, but rather say lets revisit at seasons end. Personally I think my rankings would school yours in accuracy, but I wouldnt expect you to agree with me.
:link:

Since you've made exactly zero helpful posts in this forum, save a one line comment last year about Anthony Simmons without any reasoning behind it, I think we'll need to see a sampling of your rankings champ.This is called a "discussion" board for a reason. If you were that "secure" in your rankings, maybe we'd see some examples of your gift. Give us something to compare at season's end.

Hello everyone,

Let me answer some of your questions. For starters the IDP projections ARE one man's opinion and not a collective. It would be very tough to collect and sort projections by several different guys so I got picked to stick my neck out for you guys to rip on  :X  

Keep in mind its only May. A lot can happen between now and the beginning of the season. Also keep in mind that these are PROJECTIONS and not rankings. There is a HUGE difference. Some projections come with a lot of confidence and others  admittedly seem like a bit of a stretch but I don't just stick numbers beside a guy for no reason. After all its the "out of the ordinary" stuff everyone is lookng for isn't it? The whole point here is to find sleepers etc. Heck everyone knows Ray Lewis is an animal. Some of the comments in this thread remind me of those from a couple of years back when I projected Andra Davis as a top 15 LB while Barry Gardner was still listed as the starter. You guys need to look beyond the current depth charts. I go much deeper in my consideration that just last years stats.

Rapture, you can't have it both ways. In one reply you claim that we just copy last years depth charts and in another you want to burn us at the stake for deviating from what last years numbers would suggest. You should check out a guys track record before being so critical. Instead of blurting out how ridicules you think a projection is, maybe you should explore the reasoning first. You obviously have a lot of knowledge but just because someone sees something a little different than you, don't assume they are wrong. A wise man once told me "one should always coat his words with honey for you never know when you may be called upon to eat them". 

So now on to the answers. I project Mitchell so highly because next to Dansby he is the team's most talented linebacker AND he is playing in the most fantasy productive position of MLB. It wasn't long ago when a very average Ronald McKinnon was putting up nearly 100 solo tackles every year from that spot. Orlando Huff is a very average player who I don't believe has a sniff of a shot at starting and if Gerald Hayes was the answer wouldn't he have emerged as the starter last year? He's had his shot and didn't measure up. He's not a Dennis Green player and I don't believe he will amount to much this season unless there are injuries. You can't always look at where a guy was drafted to determine what his chances of success are. Get over the fact that Mitchell was a 5th round pick, he was a steal.

Kailee Wong VS Morlon Greenwood. Both Sharper and Foreman posted excellent tackle numbers in that defense. I project Wong higher based on history and what I think of the player more than what position he is PENCILED in at. Wong played MLB for the Vikings at one point putting up 84 and 83 solo tackles in consecutive years ('00 & '01). He was a pretty solid fantasy option at that point and is a good football player. Greenwood's career high is just 66 tackles and that came last year when the Dolphins were horrible. I simply am not at all impressed with the guy. Comparing him to Sharper? That's like calling a VW Beetle a Porsche. I also believe that Wong will be the passing down LB which will make all the difference in the world. Remember that Sharper and Foreman both made a lot of tackles but Sharper was so much better than Foreman because of all the big plays. Wong can rush the passer while Greenwood has 3 career sacks... 

Gibril Wilson VS Shaun Williams. Yes Williams will be the starter at SS and "should" be more productive, but the guys hasn't played a full season since '02 and only put up 66 tackles then because he played gimpy half the season. I believe he has lost a step. Wilson was nothing short of impressive in his short stint last season. My projections are based on the probability that Williams will not play a full schedule and even if he does I believe Wilson could be more productive. While SS generally produces more tackles this is not written in stone. There have been exceptions in the past. 

Guys I'll say again its only the end of May and this is the first run on the projections. As the season gets closer and I see that some of my expectations may not happen, there will be adjustments made and plenty of updates to come. As to the comment " If someone took this cheatsheet with them come draft day, it would be deadly". I would put my projections up against anyone who is doing them at the same time. If you take my May projections to your draft in August.. well that might be a problem  :P

Those of you who keep calling these projections "rankings" need to take a look at the actual cheat sheet I made up. While I use the projections as a guideline, the cheat better represents the amount of confidence I have in some of the numbers as well as the level of consistency of the players.

Hope this clarifies some of the issues for everyone. I make mistakes like everyone else but there is always reason behind everything I put out there. If you want to know more about my train of thought look for my "Eyes of the Guru" report that will be out later in the summer. I get pretty extensive in my positional breakdowns.

Reb
I was not being defensive. Obviously you have no clue what my job is or you wouldn't have written anything so ridicules. Part of my job is to explain myself when customers ask questions about my opinion. To quote my boss "Be prepared to defend your comments and rankings in the forums". I wrote half a page because people wanted to know why I have the opinions I do. How unprofessional it would be for me to simply say "that's my opinion lets see who is right at the end of the season". I don't think I need your advise or I'll be out of a job. :eek: As I said I will put my projections and rankings up against anyone.

I honestly think your projections are sorely lacking in positional analysis. If you knew nothing else about him, you could look at John Thornton’s 69 solo tackles (including post season games) and 0 sacks from last year and conclude that he is “VW Beatle”. Of course, we all know that this is not the case. Suffice it to say that I think you are pre-judging Greenwood a little too harshly. I never got the impression that Rapture was comparing Greenwood to Sharper. He simple said that he believes that Greenwood was taking Sharper place in the defense. The tackles will have to be made whether they are behind the line of scrimmage or 5 yards down the field. Lucky for Greenwood he is not competing with Sharper for tackles. He will be competing with Wong and I believe he will get more than his share.
You may be correct there. I'll be the first to admit that playing in the shadow of Zach Thomas may have held Greenwood down (see Ed Hartwell), and that he may be better than I am giving him credit. All I am saying is that I am very confident that Wong can be productive as a tackler and he is much more proven as a pass rusher etc. I can easily see both of these guys in the 90 solo tackle range just based on the situation. I just feel Wong will be the guy who excels in fantasy terms because of play making ability and playing on passing downs. BTW Thornton went 37-20-3 last year but I get your point :loco:
Thanks for the response and I do appreciate the projections even if I come across as being overly judgmental. I can see your side of the argument and although we still disagree at least I understand where you’re coming from. And you’re right; it would definitely suck if we all liked the same players.
Just an update/note on some of the players covered in this threadNick Schenck, HoustonTexans.com, reports Houston Texans LB Kailee Wong has been named the team's defensive captain. "I think he is one of our best leaders," head coach Dom Capers said. "He's a smart guy. You know you can count on him. He's an intelligent guy that can handle all the things out there, and he's a guy that will be on the field all three downs."

The Arizona Republic reports Arizona Cardinals LB Gerald Hayes is currently working as the starting middle linebacker at the team's practice sessions and LB Orlando Huff is currently working as a starting outside linebacker (WLB) at the team's practice sessions.

I was not being defensive. Obviously you have no clue what my job is or you wouldn't have written anything so ridicules. Part of my job is to explain myself when customers ask questions about my opinion. To quote my boss "Be prepared to defend your comments and rankings in the forums". I wrote half a page because people wanted to know why I have the opinions I do. How unprofessional it would be for me to simply say "that's my opinion lets see who is right at the end of the season". I don't think I need your advise or I'll be out of a job. :eek:

As I said I will put my projections and rankings up against anyone.
:goodposting: The point of having rankings is so we can discuss them and form opinions on players. It's these types of discussions that help me move players up and down. If we were just to post lists and not say why we rank players where we do that'd be pretty useless because then how could you compare and contrast them and decide which is "better?"

Keep up the good work, Mr. Norton :thumbup:

Hello everyone,

Reb
I was not being defensive. Obviously you have no clue what my job is or you wouldn't have written anything so ridicules. Part of my job is to explain myself when customers ask questions about my opinion. To quote my boss "Be prepared to defend your comments and rankings in the forums". I wrote half a page because people wanted to know why I have the opinions I do. How unprofessional it would be for me to simply say "that's my opinion lets see who is right at the end of the season". I don't think I need your advise or I'll be out of a job. :eek: As I said I will put my projections and rankings up against anyone.
:football:

Since you've made exactly zero helpful posts in this forum, save a one line comment last year about Anthony Simmons without any reasoning behind it, I think we'll need to see a sampling of your rankings champ.This is called a "discussion" board for a reason. If you were that "secure" in your rankings, maybe we'd see some examples of your gift. Give us something to compare at season's end.
:football:

Since you've made exactly zero helpful posts in this forum, save a one line comment last year about Anthony Simmons without any reasoning behind it, I think we'll need to see a sampling of your rankings champ.

This is called a "discussion" board for a reason. If you were that "secure" in your rankings, maybe we'd see some examples of your gift. Give us something to compare at season's end.
You pay for it, you can see them. thehuddle.com
:thumbdown: That's pretty lame. Norton is willing to put his projections out for free, at this point, you come in and bash him, saying your's are better. But, you're not willing to back it up in the same way Norton backs up his projections?If this kind of attitude is representative of thehuddle.com I'm glad I don't frequent the site.

Ahhh, you had to know there were some sour grapes in there somewhere. :lmao:
John didnt make the playoffs, he was Red Eye Sports - John - he didnt represent Footballguys in this league, that was CracKer. Cracker and I have played in several leagues together and I respect his opinion as he is also results driven.
So why the sour grapes then?

Since you've made exactly zero helpful posts in this forum, save a one line comment last year about Anthony Simmons without any reasoning behind it, I think we'll need to see a sampling of your rankings champ.

This is called a "discussion" board for a reason. If you were that "secure" in your rankings, maybe we'd see some examples of your gift. Give us something to compare at season's end.
You pay for it, you can see them.
:thumbdown: That's pretty lame. Norton is willing to put his projections out for free, at this point, you come in and bash him, saying your's are better. But, you're not willing to back it up in the same way Norton backs up his projections?If this kind of attitude is representative of thehuddle.com I'm glad I don't frequent the site.
You get what you pay for. When its free, you get results like this. :thumbdown:
You got mad PR skillz. :nerd:

I checked out the content on thehuddle.com from last year that can be viewed free. I'm assuming you made the sleeper/bust predictions and if this is representative of your rankings I'll have to say you suck.

I for one being a relative (2nd year Dynasty with IDP owner) newbie, (and even if I wasn't) appreciate all the hard work that must go into these projections. I certainly don't have the knowledge myself or experience to attempt anything like that. I realize this stuff is not written in stone and is one man's or many men's opinions. Some will be right on and some won't. But, what I can say is that is definately one of the very main reasons why I frequent this forum and am a subscriber of FBG. News, information and experience is offered by staff and all the posters and it helps me to make those tough decisions that all owners make and mentors me in a very real way. That to me is what this site is all about. Thanks to all! :) Staff & Posters

Sgt. Ryan, I'll have to say what you're doing is pretty uncool in bashing someone like John at a personal level. So you made it at the league finals, but John didn't, so what. When I looked at who was in it, I'm pretty sure the results would not be the same if the draft slots were scrambled up again. In addition that you went the extra mile to use that league as an example to make a point shows your insecurity. Just worry about yourself and your site and you'll be fine.BTW, congrats to Cracker.

he played the I work here, so I must know more than you card
:confused: I didn't see that anywhere in his post. You called him out for being defensive, and he explained that his job is not just to provide the projections but also to defend and explain the reasons behind them, which is exactly what he was doing.If anything, you're the one who comes off looking bad in this thread. You're making personal attacks against a guy for performance in 1 league (in which you got beat anyway) and touting your rankings/projections which we can't even see.

Anyone who has been playin' FF for awhile realizes projections are nothing more than educated opinions and take 'em for what their worth. :boxing: This website is the best on the web, by far! Thanks guys for all the hard work and dedication you devote to be the best! Mission Acomplished! :thumbup:

Well, I used to be a subscriber on thehuddle.com. It's a different site, and it has its pluses and minuses. I would not say that the IDP department is a strong point of theirs since it does not go deep enough in players.Some of the Start'em/Bench'em (or Hot or Not) on the IDP sides were obivious to anyone who follows basic IDP fantasy football since the list made up of studs who were not going to be found on the waiver wire.Least on this site monitors the position battles within a team and reports it. Which is the key for most of us to build a great team during the season.

How many times did he refer to his job, his boss, and I have no clue his job, or if he listened to my advice, he'd be out of a job. what 4 times, and you didnt get that. hmmm.

I gave my opinion, he threw the I obviously dont know his job, my boss wants, and I dont need your advise or I would be out of a job.

I'm done with the conversation, we can just agree to disagree. This is completely blown out of proportion now, and not constructive at this point. I was clearly not the only one to question his rankings, but the hole focus is turned to my critism of them.
here is your initial post:
He was simply explaining to you why he gave a long detailed explanation of his thoughts and why saying "lets revisit at seasons end" is not an option. Maybe that's how other sites do it, but FBG staff are generally very accessible and willing to explain the reasons behind our rankings/projections. I don't think you'll ever see any of us ever say "I get paid to give my opinions so just wait and see how it works out after the year".

I admit that was lame on my part to throw actual results around to back up my arguement. But I was defending my point that you dont have to be on the staff to have an opinion that has credabilty or insight.
I'm not a fan of using a single league to show excellence. However, from this league, it looks like Norton's team averaged 200.9 PPG while yours clocked in a 198.5. Please explain how this makes your skills superior.

I admit that was lame on my part to throw actual results around to back up my arguement. But I was defending my point that you dont have to be on the staff to have an opinion that has credabilty or insight.
I'm not a fan of using a single league to show excellence. However, from this league, it looks like Norton's team averaged 200.9 PPG while yours clocked in a 198.5. Please explain how this makes your skills superior.
:lmao: at Sgt. Ryan editing out his previous posts :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread