What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG Movie Club - DotM: Ridley Scott (1 Viewer)

If we continue with DotM next year, what would the FFA prefer

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Days of Thunder (1990)

I couldn't stop with just one Tony Scott movie so I went back to one of his earlier films. Everything is restrained compared to the seizure inducing visuals of Man on Fire. Scott still packs the frame and keeps the story moving but the non-action scenes are filmed in a much more straightforward unobtrusive manner. Days of Thunder is filmed in bright, warm colors with lots of shots featuring light diffused through blinds, dust or smoke. There's none of that oversaturation and weird filter effects like in Tony's later work.

You know the story even if you've never seen the movie; the plot is pure formula but but the great screenwriter Robert Towne (RIP) gives the characters better dialog than the project deserves. He also managed to work some legendary racing tales into the script. The racing action is exciting but pure hokum. Scott does seem to have a slightly better grasp of the sport than he did with his ridiculous depiction of football in The Last Boy Scout or baseball in The Fan.

A movie like this stands on the shoulders of its star and this one benefits greatly from prime Cruise. He brings likeability and some depth to a character who's doesn't have a lot of either for much of the film. Days of Thunder is at its best whenever Robert Duvall's character is onscreen. His relationship with Cole is the most important one in the movie--Cole's love interest and rivals are more peripheral.
Wheelchair race and rental car race are epic! Near peak Kidman too. Dammit, I might have to watch this tonight now.

Wheelchair race and rental car race are epic! Near peak Kidman too. Dammit, I might have to watch this tonight now.

Kidman makes the most of a role that doesn't give her a lot to do. I really liked the way Scott shot her love scene with Cruise in silhouetted closeups.

I've also used her "stop the caaacoll" line multiple times over the past 34 years.

Kidman makes the most of a role that doesn't give her a lot to do. I really liked the way Scott shot her love scene with Cruise in silhouetted closeups.

I've also used her "stop the caaacoll" line multiple times over the past 34 years.
I somehow forget John C Reiley is in this too. Elwes connection too from my other watch.

Is this a better movie than Top Gun?

Robin Hood: Men in Tights (1993)

I've never been a huge Mel Brooks fan (except for the Producers) but I've apparently become this board's #1 Robin Hood fan so away we go. This version followed the 1991 Kevin Hood plotline closely for the first half before recreating scenes from the 1938 Errol Flynn version in the second. In this one, the main villain is the sheriff; the prince is a buffoon and Gisborne is absent. The main difference from the others are lots and lots of gags most of which fell flat for me but they kept coming fast enough to keep me mildly amused. I think I liked the sight gags and slapstick better than the jokes, some of which were already old when the real Robin was alive. No getting around it, the songs and production numbers were awful.

At least Brooks and his company seemed to be having more fun than I did. Cary Elwes made a fine Robin and really committed himself to the foolishness. The rest of the cast including Dave Chappelle and Richard Lewis had a variety of accents. I would have liked to have seen more cameos from cast members of earlier Brooks movies but there were only a few of those to be had.

Last edited:
I was going to watch a couple more from Ridley, but I found myself not liking my rewatch of The Martian much. The other stuff on my list were movies I was less confident I would like, and I'm happy finishing the month with a couple books read and a handful of good movies I haven't seen before. I liked American Gangster and Napolean the most of the new ones, but both I would give something like a 6/10-7/10 grade to. Before we started I had thought I would find at least one movie I thought was great, but that's why we do these things. I'd still rather take small gambles like this and have them not hit 100% than talk about directors I've watch a ton of.

In August we will be asking for participation on ideas for directors, so start thinking about who think would make a good DotM. As I said we are switching gears a bit the next couple months, so we will have more examples of what might or might not work. Next month we have another director with only a few movies (8) and mostly indie dramas. In September we will be going foreign language in some form. October will be horror DotM.

I was going to watch a couple more from Ridley, but I found myself not liking my rewatch of The Martian much. The other stuff on my list were movies I was less confident I would like, and I'm happy finishing the month with a couple books read and a handful of good movies I haven't seen before. I liked American Gangster and Napolean the most of the new ones, but both I would give something like a 6/10-7/10 grade to. Before we started I had thought I would find at least one movie I thought was great, but that's why we do these things. I'd still rather take small gambles like this and have them not hit 100% than talk about directors I've watch a ton of.

In August we will be asking for participation on ideas for directors, so start thinking about who think would make a good DotM. As I said we are switching gears a bit the next couple months, so we will have more examples of what might or might not work. Next month we have another director with only a few movies (8) and mostly indie dramas. In September we will be going foreign language in some form. October will be horror DotM.
Tony scott

Next month we have another director with only a few movies (8) and mostly indie dramas.

8 seems awfully low given the vagaries of content streaming. Hopefully one of them will be a Robin Hood picture.

Say what you will about Ridley Scott but the man has made a lot of movies. The thing I admire most about him is how he's been able to get a number of big historical costume dramas made in this age of franchise IP. I guess it's true that Scott milked his own Alien franchise as well but you have to pay to keep the lights on.

Next month we have another director with only a few movies (8) and mostly indie dramas.

8 seems awfully low given the vagaries of content streaming. Hopefully one of them will be a Robin Hood picture.

Say what you will about Ridley Scott but the man has made a lot of movies. The thing I admire most about him is how he's been able to get a number of big historical costume dramas made in this age of franchise IP. I guess it's true that Scott milked his own Alien franchise as well but you have to pay to keep the lights on.
I hear what you are saying, and I guess that is part of the adventure and working out the bugs if we hate it. Villeneuve is comparable in number of movies, and unfortunately what will be available to stream and where is a bit unpredictable. This is what I am debating as well for my selection. Who I want to explore has 15 movies, but they are in a very limited odd services like AMC+ and Kanopy. That could be a discussion killer as well, so I am debating if that should be tried.

If the answer to that is that we put a lower limit for the number of movies a director should have to be in consideration for DotM, I think we are open to that discussion as well. Like I said earlier, ultimately, we are about trying to generate some good movie discussion.

If the director who has eight is who I’m thinking of (Cuaron? But don’t have to say until the reveal), I think most of his films are available to stream on popular services — so, expect most should be able to access some.

I do think directors who just have their movies available on odd ones would be harder to get some discussion going. When I’m already paying for Max, Netflix, Hulu, Apple, Disney+ etc., along with my blu-ray collection, I find it harder to justify paying for rentals (personally anyway).

If the director who has eight is who I’m thinking of (Cuaron? But don’t have to say until the reveal), I think most of his films are available to stream on popular services — so, expect most should be able to access some.

I do think directors who just have their movies available on odd ones would be harder to get some discussion going. When I’m already paying for Max, Netflix, Hulu, Apple, Disney+ etc., along with my blu-ray collection, I find it harder to justify paying for rentals (personally anyway).
Those are our concerns as well. We are trying to find the balance between accessibility, interest, and getting us and others to watch things we haven't yet.

At the end of the day this was just to try to be a fun nudge in a certain direction for people who are interested. Even if a DotM of the month is a dud for people, skip a month or do something that is related that you do have access to. Maybe instead of a low limit for # of movies we should make sure there are enough other ways to participate than the director themselves, be it through their influences and favorite movies or having a subgenre in mind to springboard off of.

I could have miscounted too. :lol:
I’ll stop trying to obsessively think of another director with exactly 8 then. :lol:

I did think of another though. 🍷
It was the most superficial of connections. I had already been doing 90s action on the side and our August director will be our first woman behind the camera. We had also been discussing Bigelow as a possibility, but decided to change gears and do less action more drama.

Kingdom of Heaven is available on Hulu Just in time for the end of Ridley Scott month.

Tony Scott's final film Unstoppable is also up on Tubi for this month only. It's been a while since I've watched it but I remember it as being very good.

ETA: Ridley's 1987 film Someone to Watch Over Me is also streaming on Tubi but I thought it was extremely dull when I saw it last year.

ETA: His 1996 sailing movie White Squall is also on Tubi

Last edited:
Body of Lies

Nothing new here and it felt very 00s. Just very of its time and place but Leo is always great. Crowe isn’t at his best here but he’s got a presence of course. Scott’s direction ensures everything looks good and the action scenes rip. While it’s nothing special, I liked it more than its reputation would have led me to believe. It’s just dated.
Freaky. I also watched this last night, and had a similar reaction. I am rounding more and more to what seems the popular opinion about Scott, which is about what the bolded is too. He likes to stay in the past, everything looks great, but for me the acting and actor choices hold me back a bit.

Body of Lies won out because I saw the run times on a few others that were on my list. I think Napolean and American Gangster are coming in closer to 2hrs 40mins.
Yeah I was between this and AG but it was already 10:30 so the shorter run time got me. I thought Leo was fantastic in this. Does he ever give anything less? He’s just so magnetic. It was cool seeing a young Oscar Isaac. Crowe was a little disappointing and I can’t put my finger on why.
Felt like kind of a paycheck movie for everyone involved. Wasn’t bad but certainly nothing groundbreaking. Leo’s character felt very reminiscent of Billy costigan from the departed, which was written by William Monahan as well and must have been filming around the same time, so maybe that makes sense

No, but I watched Revenge from the greater Scott the other night.

Not one of his greater works…

I watched that one recently but it must have just before I starting tracking everything I watched. I remember lots of sunlight diffused through dust and smoke, even by Scott brothers standards.

I really like Jim Harrison's novella on which the film is based but the movie doesn't capture the leanness of Harrison's prose. John Huston was attached to the project at an early stage with Jack Nicholson in the Costner role but they made Prizzi's Honor instead.

No, but I watched Revenge from the greater Scott the other night.

Not one of his greater works…

I watched that one recently but it must have just before I starting tracking everything I watched. I remember lots of sunlight diffused through dust and smoke, even by Scott brothers standards.

I really like Jim Harrison's novella on which the film is based but the movie doesn't capture the leanness of Harrison's prose. John Huston was attached to the project at an early stage with Jack Nicholson in the Costner role but they made Prizzi's Honor instead.
Supposedly there is a directors cut that has 30 fewer minutes. I would be interested in that. The film is tonally inconsistent and the story is a bit bloated. It’s a pretty good idea, but the storytelling is not tight. I like Costner in the movie in general. Would like to have seen Amazon make a movie out of a good day to die by Harrison instead of the roadhouse remake.

Would like to have seen Amazon make a movie out of a good day to die by Harrison instead of the roadhouse remake.

Legends of the Fall was a pretty big hit in its day; its box office numbers were considerably higher than the original Roadhouse but the latter became beloved retro-IP from a million showings on cable.

White Squall (1996)

An early 60s period piece based on a true story of a seafaring school for teenage boys. From the one line synopsis on IMDB, I expected more of a tale of endurance than this coming of age drama. Jeff Bridges starred as the skipper and was excellent as usual but for most of the film, the focus was on his crew as they bonded together and grew into men. Scott Wolf played the main character and narrator but the rest of the young cast were interchangeable Abercrombie and Fitch models. The movie spent too much developing a few familiar character types of kids facing their parents' expectations and their own fears which made things lag a bit in the middle, especially because Bridges was offscreen for most of their onshore hi jinks.

It's a Ridley Scott film so of course it looked great. There were wonderful seascapes and shots of the sailing ship. In the opening minutes, there was a gorgeous shot of a plane landing on an island that Kelly Reichardt would admire. Scott and his DP chose to shoot White Squall using a palette with very unsaturated blues so the sky and water were shown mostly in gray which went along with the burnished browns of the wooden ship and the tanned crew. You'd think a story based at sea wouldn't be able to use the Scott brothers' familiar light diffused through smoke and dust but you'd be wrong--there was a lot of that look going on below deck. The ship finally met the storm in the title around the 3/4 mark. The twenty minute sequence that followed was very intense and disorienting as the characters struggled for their lives.

I think Scott's experienced hand and his unfailing eye elevated the material he was working from In the end, it's a good movie but somewhat unremarkable. White Squall might be better known today if any of the young actors had gone on to become a big star but that didn't happen.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread