What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBGs - Primary Care Physician, male or female (1 Viewer)

Skipdog77

Footballguy
Like most of you, I am just an average FBG.  6-7 figure income, devastatingly handsome, body of a Greek God, you know the drill.  

I haven't been to the doctor in about 6 or 7 years, and as I am now on the north side of 50 years old, figure it's time to get myself an actual honest-to-goodness primary care physician to start making sure things continue running in tip-top shape. 

One thing I keep going back and forth on that is delaying me making the call is that I know they will ask if I prefer a male or female doctor, and after thinking about, I honestly don't know.

I want to hear from you; is your current PCP the same or opposite gender? What made you pick that way? Are you happy with them?  Is there anything that is hard for you to discuss with your current PCP that makes you rethink your choice? 

Thanks in advance. 

Our family doc is male. I will talk with him about anything family related. My husband talks to him about everything. But I take my reproductive health to my male obgyn. We used to have a female family doctor but my husband almost never saw her. The once or twice he needed something he saw the male nurse in that practice. 

I prefer female. Last few docs I have had were and I have liked them all and talked about everything with them. 

Wife has told me she does not care but she had mostly male docs. 

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I keep going back and forth on that is delaying me making the call is that I know they will ask if I prefer a male or female doctor, and after thinking about, I honestly don't know.

Why let them decide who your doctor will be? I would ask around, try to get a recommendation and do some research. They all post bios on the website.  Find someone who is focused on the things you are concerned about.  Then make an appointment with the doc of your choice.  If you just go with the doc they recommend, odds are you're going to get a very young kid, new to the group, or you're going to get someone else who is not busy and needs new patients for one (bad) reason or another.

Why let them decide who your doctor will be? I would ask around, try to get a recommendation and do some research. They all post bios on the website.  Find someone who is focused on the things you are concerned about.  Then make an appointment with the doc of your choice.  If you just go with the doc they recommend, odds are you're going to get a very young kid, new to the group, or you're going to get someone else who is not busy and needs new patients for one (bad) reason or another.
That's a good point about likely getting assigned some one new, needs patients, etc. 

Problem is I've been so far removed from it for so long, I'm not even sure what I'm looking for. Figure if I went this route at least it gets me started, and if I dont like it (or them), can always change. I can ask a few buddies for recommendations though too, probably a good idea. 

Male currently but don’t care.*

*Sig it.
LOL. I read this that YOU are male currently and didn't care if you were male or female.

Funny sidebar. My wife had a PCP for years who was male and named Dr. John. He took a leave of absence and returned as Dr. Jennifer after going through transitional surgery. The practice was surprised when many of their patients left the practice (my wife included).

between moving, 2 years of the coof restrictions, etc, i was kinda forced to ditch the old PHP & Dentist. 

my replacements were both Egyptian females, and i couldn't be happier - my care, and attitude regarding it, have improved dramatically.

I pick the doc with the smallest hands.
So on for my last annual checkup I was given by my Dad a list of things to ask for (he worked in the industry and pays very close attention to all the various tests, knows family history, etc). Bunch of bloodwork, various things to ask, great stuff.

One of the things on the list was a "digital rectal exam". I thought that was some kind of test with a tube or thermometer or something  :lmao:

My primary is an internist and she's a fem. She is great and I've been going to her for about 7 years.

The very first appt was around 11:00am and she was going through introductory questions:

"How much do you drink?"

"I usually have a couple of good ones around HH."

"But how much is that? In ounces. Is it alot of ounces?"

"Uh, I guess. Tell you what? Want to go have a couple pops around the corner and I'll show you how big my drinks are?"

She glared at me and we moved on.

We now have a fantastic patient/doc relationship.

jobarules said:
Who will ask you if you prefer a male or female? You're not getting a massage.
Well, it's a specific question on the form for the medical place to get set up with a PCP so I'm going to say the medical place.  

Mine have been male. Although my dermatologist is a female and she has seen/touched more.  As you get older you care less about this stuff. The first digital rectal exam or evaluating ball swelling might be a bit awkward though. 

I have a male, just because there were limited options, and I knew he was conscientious as a resident.

But given my druthers, I’d choose a female primary care provider. In general, they’re better listeners/communicators, and more detail-oriented. They also are gentler while performing an exam.

I have a male, but don't care either way.

The right answer, though, is whichever will allow you to be most open/honest with your doctor. If either will keep you from doing that for some reason, which is a thing for some people, then don't choose them. 

I think I'd lean towards having a male PCP.  I do now.  That said, I do see his nurse practioner who's female if he's booked and it doesn't involve something with my male parts or bunghole.  I guess it's just a matter of preference, really.

I'll go with...a good one. They could be a purple creature void of private parts, but if they're great at their job then I don't care.

Male for me. Just more comfortable talking about boners and poops with a dude.

And OP, you really need to make an effort and go each year for at least some bloodwork. Waiting 6 or 7 years is a bad idea, even if you think you are in good health.

I’ve had both, currently my PCP is a woman. I don’t have an issue with either, as long as they’re good at their work.

LOL. I read this that YOU are male currently and didn't care if you were male or female.

Funny sidebar. My wife had a PCP for years who was male and named Dr. John. He took a leave of absence and returned as Dr. Jennifer after going through transitional surgery. The practice was surprised when many of their patients left the practice (my wife included).
That’s the joke I was going for - I’m way to ugly to be a woman though.

Users who are viewing this thread