What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Top 200 Horror Movies of All Time: #35 - Invasion of the Body Snatchers (39 Viewers)

Scary, revolting, disgusting, and/or realistic are my primary criteria for rating a horror film.

I already mentioned that two of my favorite subgenres are found footage and French extreme. I probably have about a dozen of each in my top 100.

A good found footage film will give you the realism in heaps and this is what hooks me in usually. French extreme will shock, horrify and disgust you. I love it.

The criteria I use is also why I tend to not have much of anything on my list pre 1970s. Also, movies with major Hollywood actors tend to put me off, with a few notable exceptions.

Maybe not so chalky at the top. 3 lists in so far and only 13 movies common to all three.
I am going to resubmit today. I gave it more thought with repeated watchability vs impact on me.

I hope you don't mind. I want the rankings to be more impactful for certain movies.

Will send it in by late this afternoon.

OK I think I have the scoring figured out by adding 76 points for each list a movie is not on. So far with 5 lists it looks right. I have one movie in my top 10 that is unique to my list so far and it is still in the top 100, though slipping fast.

I'm undecided on tiebreakers. I'm down to the following in this order.

1. Number of lists each movie is on.
2. The highest ranking of the tied movies.
3. Tomatometer rating. lol.

Any news on when Salem's Lot is going to be released? I thought by now but must have been delayed. .... will delete if wrong thread for question.

Any news on when Salem's Lot is going to be released? I thought by now but must have been delayed. .... will delete if wrong thread for question.

I dunno but that vampire kid floating outside the window scared the bejesus out of me as an 8 year old kid and that's going to be tough to beat.

Certain movies are classics, but they never scared me a pinch (ie Exorcist, where I was laughing). And zombies/vampires don't do anything to me. I'm weak on the vintage ones because the effects are so bad.

Suspenseful horror, with intensity building throughout then scare scenes. That's some stuff that keeps me up at night. Love this heart rate list ... https://www.wate.com/entertainment/these-scary-movies-raise-heart-rates-the-most-study-finds/
I like that list, thanks for sharing

Still editing my list. Here are my preferences;

1. I favor original works over sequels, prequels, remakes or reboots. There will be exceptions on my list, but very few.
2. While there is a direct relationship between the two, when they are in conflict, I will favor the better movie over the scarier movie.
3. On the flip side, for purposes of these specific rankings, I will favor pure horror over "borderline" horror.
4. I favor the psychological over gorefests.

I prefer #2, but whatever you do, don't rely on the Tomatometer or other outside sources as tiebreakers. Make this a wholly pure FFA endeavor please

Still editing my list. Here are my preferences;

1. I favor original works over sequels, prequels, remakes or reboots. There will be exceptions on my list, but very few.
2. While there is a direct relationship between the two, when they are in conflict, I will favor the better movie over the scarier movie.
3. On the flip side, for purposes of these specific rankings, I will favor pure horror over "borderline" horror.
This is mostly what I did too, but (2) and (3) definitely come into tension sometimes. I have a couple of outstanding movies toward the middle of my ratings because I like them better as "films" than as "horror films."

Also, with regard to (1), there are a few of these where I've seen the American remake but not the original, so I slotted the one I saw into wherever I thought it belonged. I originally resolved to completely omit sequels period, but there's one franchise that I just can't do that with, and I think it's justified. (No, not Chucky).

Keep in mind that I'm assuming a movie is the original unless told otherwise. That means if there is a foreign version that was remade and you dont specify, I assume you mean the original foreign version.

A lot of these American remakes also change the title, which is distinctive enough for me, but not all of them.

I prefer #2, but whatever you do, don't rely on the Tomatometer or other outside sources as tiebreakers. Make this a wholly pure FFA endeavor please

I meant I would use those in order to eliminate ties, so the Tomatometer would probably never need to be used. But I think I agree with you. My OCD just doesn't want there to be any ties, so I'm trying to come up with a way to eliminate them.

New and final list submitted!

For me it's all about how often I watch it ultimately as well as the quality of the movie.

Scare factors are also at play.

But I feel really good now about my rankings. And it was hard. I love horror films. All kinds. All different kinds of genres.

If it's really good....it's on my list.

Yes there are some cult classics I have on there as well as some great sequels, and a few reboots that I actually felt strongly about as I keep going back to them.

Updated OP with lists received.

This is open to whoever wants to submit a list really. I have a spreadsheet set up to accommodate.

One of Ari Aster's movies is on my list. I have, and will only ever, watch it once. It is a fantastic horror movie that I didn't "enjoy", and certainly don't "like", but it messed me up for a long time. In general my list is my favorites and very rewatchable likes, but I couldn't leave that one movie off the list.

One of Ari Aster's movies is on my list. I have, and will only ever, watch it once. It is a fantastic horror movie that I didn't "enjoy", and certainly don't "like", but it messed me up for a long time. In general my list is my favorites and very rewatchable likes, but I couldn't leave that one movie off the list.

This might be the only genre where I would say a movie that horrifies you so much you never want to watch it again belongs in your top 10.

Some stats with roughly half of the lists in so far.

239 total movies amongst all the lists.

We're down to only 9 movies that appear on all six lists.

151 movies are one offs that only appear on one list.

Subgenre coverage (this is pretty rough as some movies span multiple subgenres)

Psychological 20%
Supernatural 19%
Creature 18%
Slasher 13%
Found Footage 7%
Zombie 6%
Foreign 5%
Body Horror 5%
Horror Comedy 4%
Vampire 3%

Top 5 imo

Psychological 20%
Supernatural 19%
Creature 18%
Slasher 13%
Found Footage 7%
Zombie 6%
Foreign 5%
Body Horror 5%
Horror Comedy 4%
Vampire 3%
I’m predicting that foreign % will be going up shortly.

:coffee:

Psychological 20%
Supernatural 19%
Creature 18%
Slasher 13%
Found Footage 7%
Zombie 6%
Foreign 5%
Body Horror 5%
Horror Comedy 4%
Vampire 3%
I’m predicting that foreign % will be going up shortly.

:coffee:
I guarantee it

Okay, I came up with 152 and have now pared down to 98. These final 23 cuts are going to hurt me
I doubt I have seen 75 horror movies let alone 98 or 152
I couldn't guess at how many I've seen. And that 152 was just the ones that were borderline Top 100 worthy. There are plenty of sequels, B-movies and others that I've enjoyed but were not worthy of consideration. Not to mention movies I would not recommend (I suspect many horror fans go through quite a bit of dreck to find some hidden gems).

Okay, I came up with 152 and have now pared down to 98. These final 23 cuts are going to hurt me
I doubt I have seen 75 horror movies let alone 98 or 152
I couldn't guess at how many I've seen. And that 152 was just the ones that were borderline Top 100 worthy. There are plenty of sequels, B-movies and others that I've enjoyed but were not worthy of consideration. Not to mention movies I would not recommend (I suspect many horror fans go through quite a bit of dreck to find some hidden gems).
Amazon Prime horror movies all the way to the right of the list type dreck. I’ve seen so much horror. Even the bad horror sometimes has a nugget of cool.

I think I know which one you are referring to and it is high on my list too. Not sure I want to watch it again, either.

Curious on the interaction of these two, as struggling with that. I favor the psychological over gorefests too, but finding myself wondering if a number that jumped into my head are “horror” or “psychological thriller/suspense.”

In my old age I tend to lean toward horror comedy. There are more of those than I expected on my list.
One of the questions I kept asking myself as I did my rankings was "Be honest -- how often have you re-watched this?" That standard pushed a couple of these quite a way up my list.
Exactly what I was getting at with my thinking about if I'd want to own and rewatch these movies. For me there seem to be a ton of 80s that I grew up on but don't really click with me in my old age and I am good probably not watching again.

I think I know which one you are referring to and it is high on my list too. Not sure I want to watch it again, either.
The way you two are talking about the movie it could be either of his 1st two movies.

Curious on the interaction of these two, as struggling with that. I favor the psychological over gorefests too, but finding myself wondering if a number that jumped into my head are “horror” or “psychological thriller/suspense.”
It can be a conundrum. I PMed the host for a ruling on some and only one serious contender was discouraged. There was also one horrific police procedural that I self-removed (and another that the host allowed but I will ding a bit in rankings due to my #3).

A lot of the close calls on "is this horror?" will get resolved naturally, I would think. If it's really borderline, it won't be on that many people's lists.

FWIW, @Scoresman is free to disallow anything on my list that he deems "not horror." I'm not going to sweat those.

Users who are viewing this thread