What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FFA Top 200 Horror Movies of All Time: #8 - Psycho (15 Viewers)

Diving in to my list now. I'm glad I started keeping a spreadsheet of every movie I've ever seen around 1997. :bag:
A+ for effort. Do you rank/ grade these too?

That's what kicked this off initially. When AFI came out with their top 100 films I started my own list, then I kept adding to it over the years. I stopped keeping track about 15 years ago so it's not completely updated.

Do I cut better films that are less pure horror of chop lesser films that more perfectly fit the horror genre?

This is where I am now. I have a list of about 20 where I'm sure I'll hear whining about including. It would be a nice if we had a single source of truth of whether something is deemed a horror movie. IMDB? Rotten tomatoes? Something else?

For instance I know someone mentioned Frailty upthread. RT has it as "Mystery & thriller/Horror" while IMDB has it as "Crime/Drama/Thriller".
It's in the eye of the beholder. Since this is Scoresman's idea, I'm leaving those decisions up to him.

Very surprised at my initial breakdown of decades. My quick impulse list had 90, and the breakdown was:

60s or before: 4
70s: 9
80s: 17
90s: 9
00s: 25
10s: 20
20s: 7

I think my list will be more recent than I originally had thought.
I ended up like this:

60s or before: 7
70s: 8
80s: 18
90s: 7
00s: 15
10s: 18
20s: 2

I was honestly surprised that I had that many films from the 2000s and 2010s in there. I thought my list was more tilted toward older movies than it really is.

Do I cut better films that are less pure horror of chop lesser films that more perfectly fit the horror genre?

This is where I am now. I have a list of about 20 where I'm sure I'll hear whining about including. It would be a nice if we had a single source of truth of whether something is deemed a horror movie. IMDB? Rotten tomatoes? Something else?

For instance I know someone mentioned Frailty upthread. RT has it as "Mystery & thriller/Horror" while IMDB has it as "Crime/Drama/Thriller".

I kind of like the ambiguity (and the whining). I'd like to see what people interpret as horror as part of this.

For what it's worth, I've just been using google for my own list to see how it classifies the borderline ones. Frailty is Horror/Thriller there.

That said, I have and will nix anything that is too out of bounds. Feel free to PM me.

That's the thing. Am I enthusiastic about having Silence of the Lambs on my list? No, not really. But if I cut that film, I'm just adding some marginal film that I saw once and kind of liked. I'd rather just keep SoTL and acknowledge that it's not the Platonic form of a horror movie the same way that The Exorcist is. I can't defend dropping that movie to include whatever is currently #76 in my world.
For the sake of the exercise, I am starting to come around to this thinking a bit as well. Do I put in something like Se7en that I don't think is true horror or something I might not rememeber as much or not like as much?

10 lists in!

Let's play "Guess the stat"

The Gator 5.01
IvanKaramazov 4.67
Keith R 4.33
Brunell4MVP 4.30
BroncoFreak_2k3 4.28
Scoresman 4.20
Frostillicus 4.14
Todem 3.99
WVU Alum 3.96
Tick 2.87

That's the thing. Am I enthusiastic about having Silence of the Lambs on my list? No, not really. But if I cut that film, I'm just adding some marginal film that I saw once and kind of liked. I'd rather just keep SoTL and acknowledge that it's not the Platonic form of a horror movie the same way that The Exorcist is. I can't defend dropping that movie to include whatever is currently #76 in my world.
For the sake of the exercise, I am starting to come around to this thinking a bit as well. Do I put in something like Se7en that I don't think is true horror or something I might not rememeber as much or not like as much?
I consciously omitted some that fell outside my personal classification of horror and lowered others that were borderline, to the point where some missed the cut due to that factor. On the flip side, some here were mentioned as borderline but I considered them true horror, so I ranked those as I normally would (with some getting very high spots).

Looking forward to following this.

I love the genre, although don’t have nearly the depth as many of you guys do and get anywhere close to 75 picks. Hoping to pick up some new films to watch.

10 lists in!

The Gator 5.01
IvanKaramazov 4.67
Keith R 4.33
Brunell4MVP 4.30
BroncoFreak_2k3 4.28
Scoresman 4.20
Frostillicus 4.14
Todem 3.99
WVU Alum 3.96
Tick 2.87
Not sure, but the rating doesn’t seem to like zombie movies maybe

10 lists in!

The Gator 5.01
IvanKaramazov 4.67
Keith R 4.33
Brunell4MVP 4.30
BroncoFreak_2k3 4.28
Scoresman 4.20
Frostillicus 4.14
Todem 3.99
WVU Alum 3.96
Tick 2.87
Not sure, but the rating doesn’t seem to like zombie movies maybe

It's my attempt to measure chalkiness of everyone's list. The number is the average number of lists the average movie on that user's list appears. So the higher it is, the more other people's lists all your movies are on.

This is what happens when you give me a spreadsheet and I'm all caught up updating it....

Todem 10.14
The Gator 9.72
Brunell4MVP 9.39
BroncoFreak_2k3 8.80
WVU Alum 8.73
Tick 8.60
Keith R 8.10
Frostillicus 7.65
IvanKaramazov 7.49
Scoresman 6.87

Average number of jump scares per movie on each list...

Todem 10.14
The Gator 9.72
Brunell4MVP 9.39
BroncoFreak_2k3 8.80
WVU Alum 8.73
Tick 8.60
Keith R 8.10
Frostillicus 7.65
IvanKaramazov 7.49
Scoresman 6.87

Average number of jump scares per movie on each list...
Wow, that's a neat stat actually

Surprised there doesn't seem to be much mention of pre-1960s horror films so far. My dad and I will fix that.
I will have some for sure. Are we supposed to be mentioning specific titles now though or is that spoilery or trying to influence the vote?

Surprised there doesn't seem to be much mention of pre-1960s horror films so far. My dad and I will fix that.
I will have some for sure. Are we supposed to be mentioning specific titles now though or is that spoilery or trying to influence the vote?
I've refrained. I had to restrain myself from offering "suggestions" to people who claim they couldn't come up with 75 films on their own.

Last one I promise.*

Percentage of movies on your lists where the dog dies.

Frostillicus 24.5%
Scoresman 24.0%
IvanKaramazov 22.0%
The Gator 19.6%
Todem 19.5%
Brunell4MVP 19.1%
BroncoFreak_2k3 18.8%
WVU Alum 18.2%
Tick 18.2%
Keith R 17.0%

This is pretty rough though. Not every movie has tracking for this on the internet.

* for today at least

Last one I promise.*

Frostillicus 24.5%
Scoresman 24.0%
IvanKaramazov 22.0%
The Gator 19.6%
Todem 19.5%
Brunell4MVP 19.1%
BroncoFreak_2k3 18.8%
WVU Alum 18.2%
Tick 18.2%
Keith R 17.0%

This is pretty rough though. Not every movie has tracking for this on the internet.

* for today at least
Loving this stuff!

I've got 70 so far. I mean, I've seen plenty of others but don't feel they should be placed on any list of "top movies." I could have listed all of the Halloween franchise movies but really think most don't belong. I may end up giving up and filling out my list with these types of movies though.

Last one I promise.*

Frostillicus 24.5%
Scoresman 24.0%
IvanKaramazov 22.0%
The Gator 19.6%
Todem 19.5%
Brunell4MVP 19.1%
BroncoFreak_2k3 18.8%
WVU Alum 18.2%
Tick 18.2%
Keith R 17.0%

* for today at least
What’s your beef here, frosty ?

Wasnt sure if this would happen, but at this point it's looking like if you have a movie on your list that no one else has, it will not appear in the top 100 no matter how high on your list.

I have a top 5 movie that is only on my list so far currently sitting at #100. That's only going to slip further the more lists come in.

Wasnt sure if this would happen, but at this point it's looking like if you have a movie on your list that no one else has, it will not appear in the top 100 no matter how high on your list.

I have a top 5 movie that is only on my list so far currently sitting at #100. That's only going to slip further the more lists come in.
Wow, very curious about this

There are about a dozen or so movies across all lists like this, where it's in someone's top 20, but only shows up on their list.

I want to highlight these as honorable mentions for people to sell these movies to everyone else, I just dont know if this should be before or after the main countdown.

There are about a dozen or so movies across all lists like this, where it's in someone's top 20, but only shows up on their list.

I want to highlight these as honorable mentions for people to sell these movies to everyone else, I just dont know if this should be before or after the main countdown.
I vote for before the countdown as well, especially if you are seeing these movies show up in people's top 10s. I think it would make a nice ramp up as in if these are the type of movies that DIDN'T make the list, what did?

I badly want to hear about these. Please highlight this stuff.

Edit: I can probably name the "me only" movies in my Top 20 right now. Two for sure.

Seven is off my list. Yet Silence of the Lambs is on it.

Just felt Silence was more horror than Seven.....I don't know why.

Last one I promise.*

Frostillicus 24.5%
Scoresman 24.0%
IvanKaramazov 22.0%
The Gator 19.6%
Todem 19.5%
Brunell4MVP 19.1%
BroncoFreak_2k3 18.8%
WVU Alum 18.2%
Tick 18.2%
Keith R 17.0%

* for today at least
:lmao: Assuming your stats are accurate, how are you figuring this stuff out? Has to be a hell of a lot work unless you're using AI or something like that.

Last one I promise.*

Frostillicus 24.5%
Scoresman 24.0%
IvanKaramazov 22.0%
The Gator 19.6%
Todem 19.5%
Brunell4MVP 19.1%
BroncoFreak_2k3 18.8%
WVU Alum 18.2%
Tick 18.2%
Keith R 17.0%

* for today at least
:lmao: Assuming your stats are accurate, how are you figuring this stuff out? Has to be a hell of a lot work unless you're using AI or something like that.
It’s all on the internet. I just do some clever copy pasting and lookups in excel.

Now i'm wondering if I watch all the ones that end up in the top 100 that I haven't seen asap, or wait until October and mix them in. 🤔

Last edited:

Make it a top 200 countdown.

Why not? This immediately obviates all the hand-wringing about "what is horror?" We can discuss the contours of the genre as the outliers come up, and the purists won't feel that their choices were shoved aside. And I want to see what the purists like.

Last one I promise.*

Frostillicus 24.5%
Scoresman 24.0%
IvanKaramazov 22.0%
The Gator 19.6%
Todem 19.5%
Brunell4MVP 19.1%
BroncoFreak_2k3 18.8%
WVU Alum 18.2%
Tick 18.2%
Keith R 17.0%

* for today at least
What’s your beef here, frosty ?
Frankly I'm a bit stunned and I demand a recount. I love dogs and I have two of them.

Greasy Strangler?

Users who are viewing this thread