What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

For anyone suffering from terrible buffer speeds on Youtube. (1 Viewer)

'Nipsey said:
Wow, thanks. I thought it was just my machine. I downloaded/updated my flash player about 6 times last week thinking the last update screwed something up.
Same

For those asking, its a youtube issue and to do anything about it on your end you must directly block youtube from being able to connect to your network from whatever subnetwork of youtube that they use to host their buffering service.In the reddit solution the first post was a summary of the guys investigation, the second post was a solution found.To block the youtube service that isn't working, go to this link: How to block addressesStep 11 of the above tutorial is when you add the address: 206.111.0.0/16This will only block that specific service and once blocked it will default to the default behavior, which appears to be uncapped buffering.This is all assuming you are using a windows operating system.
Honestly, I'm lost at step # 1. What does this even mean?
1. Log into your server via Remote Desktop Connection.
Huh? Why would I have to access my computer remotely if I'm at home?

For those asking, its a youtube issue and to do anything about it on your end you must directly block youtube from being able to connect to your network from whatever subnetwork of youtube that they use to host their buffering service.In the reddit solution the first post was a summary of the guys investigation, the second post was a solution found.To block the youtube service that isn't working, go to this link: How to block addressesStep 11 of the above tutorial is when you add the address: 206.111.0.0/16This will only block that specific service and once blocked it will default to the default behavior, which appears to be uncapped buffering.This is all assuming you are using a windows operating system.
Honestly, I'm lost at step # 1. What does this even mean?
1. Log into your server via Remote Desktop Connection.
Huh? Why would I have to access my computer remotely if I'm at home?
That's for Windows Server. Doesn't apply to your situation.

evidently I can't do this in XP...."windows firewall with advanced security" only exists on Windows 7 and later I guess...all I've got is the barebones windows firewall.

evidently I can't do this in XP...."windows firewall with advanced security" only exists on Windows 7 and later I guess...all I've got is the barebones windows firewall.
I haven't run Windows XP in approximately 4 years, but I believe XP's windows firewall is capable of blocking IPs.Alternatively some routers have the capability to block IPs or IP ranges (mine does not :thumbdown: .)

The only way I can watch YouTube videos right now is by downloading them with keepvid or something similar. Streaming is the complete suck.

And evidently I can't block IP addresses in Chrome. I looked into blocking them using the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file, but that only works for blocking URLs, not IP addresses (since it only affects name resolution via DNS).

This sucks. It's not always quite this bad, but after buffering the first minute or so of a video right now, it stops and simply won't proceed any further.

The only way I can watch YouTube videos right now is by downloading them with keepvid or something similar. Streaming is the complete suck.

And evidently I can't block IP addresses in Chrome. I looked into blocking them using the C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts file, but that only works for blocking URLs, not IP addresses (since it only affects name resolution via DNS).

This sucks. It's not always quite this bad, but after buffering the first minute or so of a video right now, it stops and simply won't proceed any further.
Hey MT -- you can add the block in your Windows Firewall if you're on Win7. That's what I had to do since my router does not allow outbound IP range blocking.The instructions linked from Reddit are pretty decent -- http://www.studyblog.net/2011/10/block-ip-address-or-ip-range-in-windows-server-2008-by-windows-firewall/ -- to launch Windows Firewall, click your "Start" button and type "Windows Firewall" into the "search programs and files "box.

In step 9 of the instructions, enter the following IP address to block: 206.111.0.0/16

If you have more than one PC you need to block, you'll need to repeat the settings change on each one separately.

I'm on AT&T U-Verse and I noticed my YouTube caching speed dropping off pretty badly over the last few months. Making this change sped it back up. No buffering required after the initial ~5 seconds to view a full-HD video 6 minutes long. Thanks, Run It Up! :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:

Hey MT -- you can add the block in your Windows Firewall if you're on Win7. That's what I had to do since my router does not allow outbound IP range blocking.The instructions linked from Reddit are pretty decent -- http://www.studyblog.net/2011/10/block-ip-address-or-ip-range-in-windows-server-2008-by-windows-firewall/ -- to launch Windows Firewall, click your "Start" button and type "Windows Firewall" into the "search programs and files "box.

In step 9 of the instructions, enter the following IP address to block: 206.111.0.0/16

If you have more than one PC you need to block, you'll need to repeat the settings change on each one separately.

I'm on AT&T U-Verse and I noticed my YouTube caching speed dropping off pretty badly over the last few months. Making this change sped it back up. No buffering required after the initial ~5 seconds to view a full-HD video 6 minutes long. Thanks, Run It Up! :thumbup:
Um....yeah....what about steps 2-8?

Where do I put the "block 206.111.0.0/16"?

thanks for this. was just about to throw the laptop out a window due to slow/stagnant YouTube speed.

is there is similar fix for a Mac (AirBook if it matters)?

Um....yeah....what about steps 2-8?

Where do I put the "block 206.111.0.0/16"?
The bold text above replaces steps 1 and 2 in the instructions. That launches Windows Firewall. In step 3, you'll want to choose "outbound rules" rather than "inbound rules". The rest of the steps are correct as displayed.

I blocked the IPs at my router and it really didn't do anything for my PCs, but it seems to really helped some on the Xbox.

I blocked the IPs at my router and it really didn't do anything for my PCs, but it seems to really helped some on the Xbox.
I have noticed that the effectiveness of the fix on my end had deteriorated. Its possible enough people have used the workaround and now their default service is being overloaded, or they could have just patched the workaround completely - but its still nowhere near as horrible as it was.

I just within the last week or two started having youtube and other streams freeze on me. Didn't try the fixes, as none are for Mac, right?

I just within the last week or two started having youtube and other streams freeze on me. Didn't try the fixes, as none are for Mac, right?
This one is specifically only for slow buffering on youtube. I don't know enough about Macs but if Macs lack the ability to block Ip addresses my opinion of them has somehow gotten worse.

Not sure if it's just my browser, but when I have a video on HD, I can't skip ahead without it freezing the video. :(

No such problems on 480p or lower.

I have noticed that the effectiveness of the fix on my end had deteriorated.
I was just about to search for this thread to post the same thing. Tonight, for the first time since I did the fix, the buffering stops again after a while.
I tried the fix suggested in the OP about a month ago and unfortunately it didn't help at all (Verizon FiOS, win7 laptop). I got really frustrated with it recently and found this site. I opened my firewall controls and set a new rule to block the range of incoming addresses listed in the link. At first it seemed like it didn't work but after a reboot it seems to be doing the job. Could be worth a shot for anyone still struggling with it.

ETA: I set it just on my laptop. I tried to do it at the router but couldn't get logged into it.

Update: Recently, about 80% of the time that I tried to play a YouTube video, I'd get this message: "An error occurred. Please try again later."

I just disabled the rule in the Windows Firewall to block YouTube, and now it works fine.

Even if the slow buffering thing returns again making it impossible to stream videos, at least I'll be able to download them to watch them. I couldn't even do that when the videos were simply giving error messages.

Update: Recently, about 80% of the time that I tried to play a YouTube video, I'd get this message: "An error occurred. Please try again later."

I just disabled the rule in the Windows Firewall to block YouTube, and now it works fine.

Even if the slow buffering thing returns again making it impossible to stream videos, at least I'll be able to download them to watch them. I couldn't even do that when the videos were simply giving error messages.
I'm not getting this behavior. My speeds haven't moved since my March 27th post, still above what they were before blocking.

Does anyone else have issues with their playback settings reseting to "show annotation" and "show captions"? I have those options checked off and saved and a few weeks later the site resets it to show both. Annoying.

Just recently mine buffers about 5-10 seconds into a video then plays fine. Not sure if something changed on the Youtube end. :shrug:

Youtube has been terrible in Firefox recently...switched to Chrome - no problems.

Probably just a coincidence that Youtube and Chrome on owned by the same company though, right?

Users who are viewing this thread