What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Former Washington, D.C. mayor Marion Barry has passed away (1 Viewer)

Raider Nation

Devil's Advocate
Former Washington, DC, mayor and civil rights activist Marion Barry has died, hospital spokeswoman confirms.

ETA articles:

WASHINGTON -- Sources close to the family tell WUSA 9 that former DC Mayor Marion Barry has passed away.

The 78-year-old Barry was just released from Howard University Hospital this evening where he had been admitted on Thursday.

Barry had told reporter Johnson by phone that he was there for observation. "He sounded very weak when we talked Thursday evening; but he sounded better when he called me Friday morning," Johnson said.

Marion Barry has battled a number of ailments including prostate cancer and diabetes. In 2009 he received a kidney transplant. Barry was in his third term as the Ward eight representative on the DC Council. He leaves a 34-year-old son, Christopher. He and wive Cora Barry were separated but not divorced.

Mayor Vincent Gray released this statement early Sunday morning:

"Mayor Vincent C. Gray expressed deep sadness after learning of the passing of Ward 8 Councilmember and former Mayor Marion Barry. Mayor Gray spoke with former First Lady Cora Masters Barry late Saturday and shared his condolences and sympathies with her, and as well said his thoughts and prayers were with the Councilmember's son, Christopher.

"Marion was not just a colleague but also was a friend with whom I shared many fond moments about governing the city," said Mayor Gray. "He loved the District of Columbia and so many Washingtonians loved him."

Mayor Gray said that he would work with Councilmember Barry's family and the Council to plan official ceremonies worthy of a true statesman of the District of Columbia."
WASHINGTON (AP) — Former District of Columbia Mayor Marion Barry, whose four terms were overshadowed by his 1990 arrest after being caught on videotape smoking crack cocaine, died Sunday morning. He was 78.

Barry D.C. council spokeswoman LaToya Foster says he died shortly after midnight Sunday at a hospital in Washington.

Despite his problems, Barry maintained a solid following, particularly in lower-income, primarily black sections of the city. He staged yet another political comeback in 2004, returning to the D.C. Council representing Ward 8. He was re-elected in 2008 and 2012.

Barry was active in the civil-rights movement and built a political career as a local activist in Washington. He was first elected mayor in 1978. Re-elected in 1982 and 1986, he was dubbed "Mayor for Life.".''

Last edited by a moderator:
I was 10, living in the DC suburbs when his first scandal broke. It was always all over the radio when I was riding with my parents in the car. For the longest time, I thought there were two mayors, a husband and wife. Mayor Mary and Barry.

By late 1989, federal officials had been investigating Barry on suspicion of illegal drug possession and use; that Fall, they were able to make cases against several of Barry's associates for cocaine use, including Charles Lewis, a native of the U.S. Virgin Islands who was implicated in a drug investigation involving Barry and a room at Washington’s Ramada Inn in December 1988.
The FBI was investigating people because they were using cocaine. The FBI. Cocaine use.

Sure that happens all the time.

In May 2013, after Toronto mayor Rob Ford was allegedly videotaped smoking what was reported to be crack,[64] parallels were made with the similarity to the 1990 incident.[65] Barry denied any similarity, stating: "Unless he was entrapped by the government, it’s not similar.”[66]

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread