What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Francis Scott Key Bridge (I-695) in Baltimore collapes (2 Viewers)

How about a floating pontoon bridge that you snap apart when a big ship comes by?
Sounds efficient.
My parents had a place on Sunset Beach, NC for about 20 years. Up until about 7-8 years ago, the only way on and off the island was a one-lane pontoon swing bridge over the Intercoastal waterway. For smaller crafts there were a number of scheduled times of the day it would open and they could come through. For larger commercial crafts they would open it. It made getting on and off the island a pain. Some people actually loved that because it tended to keep the island from getting too crowded.

Of course, it started to become dilapidated and every big storm/hurricane threatened to float it away. So the built a huge concrete bridge now to get on and off the island.

But yeah, pontoon bridges were/are totally a thing.
there's a pedestrian bridge in Willemstad, Curacao that gets heavy use as people need to cross from one side of town to the other. you can be walking across when the bell sounds and the bridge starts to swing open. kinda fun and a little worrisome.

I have attended countless meetings and events pushing for a $6.4 billion renovation of the land near there. It’s been tied up with the environmentalist, but luckily a cargo ship just cleared the way for an emergency.

I’m gonna go ahead and just guess that the six+ billion dollar project gets approved now

Incoming conspiracy theories now

I have attended countless meetings and events pushing for a $6.4 billion renovation of the land near there. It’s been tied up with the environmentalist, but luckily a cargo ship just cleared the way for an emergency.

I’m gonna go ahead and just guess that the six+ billion dollar project gets approved now

No but nice one. Super cool of you per usual. I’m sure you have a better lay of the land from Texas that I do here in the DMV attending these events.

When this gets approved, I’d like to hear back from you

Last edited:

Another aspect that feels like a plot out of the Wire.

No but nice one. Super cool of you per usual.
You pissed in the gas tank of the ship. Admit it.

What project is that?

This whole thing has been such a Baltimore story, for better and worse. The pilot made heroic efforts and it was his mayday call that alerted the MD Transportation Authority Police in time to shut the bridge. Those cops have declined to be recognized publicly and reap the fame that would come with such recognition. The guys who were killed were all hard-working Central American immigrants, risking (and losing) their lives late at night so traffic and commerce could flow freely during the day. The bridge connected blue collar neighborhoods (historically white, though less so nowadays) with the port, where decent jobs were available. But those jobs paid a lot less since Beth Steel shut down, and today the big biz over there is an Amazon fulfillment plant. Now even those jobs will be out of reach. It was the bridge for trucks, for port traffic, and for the people that worked loading and unloading the trucks and ships.

The Mayor and the Governor - both young, both African American and both learning their way through their first time in office - have done the best work of their tenure in the aftermath of the collapse, providing calm, caring focused leadership. And both have drawn racist comments from across the country for no reason than the color of their skin. Countless references have been made to The Wire.

Pictures and video don't really do justice to the size of that bridge. It's still unfathomable to me that it's gone. Seems like they will rebuild it as fast as possible, but that will still take years. By the time that happens, the lives of the people who depended on it will have become even harder than they already are.

that won't clear the way for anything on the surrounding land, if anything it will make it even more restrictive with all the Fed wildlife people's eyes on the area.

It still just tears me up for these workers and their families.

Filling pot holes on the grave yard shift. I don't know the family situation, but I imagine somebody had just put their kids to bed so they could do roadwork all night and pay the bills to take care of their family.

I know the world economy needs to keep moving, and rebuild and yada yada yada.

But man, it just sucks.

Any over under for when they have it rebuilt? 1 yr? How do they resume boat traffic while doing the construction?

Anyone think season 2 of the wire was underrated?
WAG - 1.5 years at an absolute minimum.

I guess that's not an O/U... For that, say 2.5 years.
This would be a good time for somebody in a position of authority to step up and prove us wrong. I've said many times before that the US in 2024 would be incapable of building the interstate highway system from scratch, and we've all seen how assorted public works projects involving high-speed rail have gone. It's not like the technology here is complicated or anything -- we've just chosen as a society to make this sort of thing impossible.
somebody help me out as i'm light on the specifics ... didn't the US just rebuild a collapsed bridge in more like a few weeks vs 1+ years?
Are you referring to the section of I-95 in Philly where there was that truck fire that collapsed part of the road? If so, that's not a fair analogy as they basically just filled that underpass in and paved over it for now to get traffic going again. Basically made a bridge not-a-bridge and moved the issue to the smaller road that went under I-95.

Bad week for bridges.

A truck carrying an oversized load hit a train bridge at pretty much exactly the same spot as the previous I-95 bridge incident. 95 north in Philly at that same spot now will be shut down for several days as they conduct repairs. It’s a total mess.

Any over under for when they have it rebuilt? 1 yr? How do they resume boat traffic while doing the construction?

Anyone think season 2 of the wire was underrated?
WAG - 1.5 years at an absolute minimum.

I guess that's not an O/U... For that, say 2.5 years.
This would be a good time for somebody in a position of authority to step up and prove us wrong. I've said many times before that the US in 2024 would be incapable of building the interstate highway system from scratch, and we've all seen how assorted public works projects involving high-speed rail have gone. It's not like the technology here is complicated or anything -- we've just chosen as a society to make this sort of thing impossible.
somebody help me out as i'm light on the specifics ... didn't the US just rebuild a collapsed bridge in more like a few weeks vs 1+ years?
Are you referring to the section of I-95 in Philly where there was that truck fire that collapsed part of the road? If so, that's not a fair analogy as they basically just filled that underpass in and paved over it for now to get traffic going again. Basically made a bridge not-a-bridge and moved the issue to the smaller road that went under I-95.

Bad week for bridges.

A truck carrying an oversized load hit a train bridge at pretty much exactly the same spot as the previous I-95 bridge incident. 95 north in Philly at that same spot now will be shut down for several days as they conduct repairs. It’s a total mess.
Oof. That area is bad enough in normal times

Users who are viewing this thread