What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fraud / Identity Theft? Something Weird For Sure (1 Viewer)

coopersdad

Footballguy
So this all happened yesterday.  Please let me know I what you think, and if I need to do anything else. AND NO I'M NOT SENDING YOU MY INFORMATION FOR YOU TO HELP ME.  ALREADY SEEN THAT SCHTICK PLAYED OUT ON HERE MULTIPLE TIMES.

Yesterday afternoon I was on the phone w/ Chase bank trying to clear up an outstanding issue regarding a "lost" payment on an CC that had cleared my bank, but not been credited to my account.  Spoke to a really nice lady who was really helpful and escalated my issue.  During the conversation she asked for a cell number where her supervisor could contact me.  No big deal right????????????

Last night I'm at the local HS basketball game when the following happened:

735 - 2 texts back to back really quickly from the same 5 digit code......immediately deleted since I didn't recognize so I'm paraphrasing (1) thank you for purchasing our app, please confirm w/ this code or "stop" (2) please go to this website to confim.

803 - I get a call from a number I don't recognize and I never answer them.  They leave no message

835 - 2 more texts, different verbiage, but same context from a different 5 digit number

848 - Get another call from the same number.  Still no message.

1030 - Within 5 minutes Chase, Discover, and Credit Karma all inform me of a "hard" credit inquiry on my experian (nothing on transunion or equifax) report.

I immediately look up the company that hit my report.........a Curo Mgmt company out of Wichita KS (Speedy Cash and Rapid Cash), and then I look up the phone number of the company that called me............Blue Trust Loans, which I find is not affiliated w/ Curo.

So last night I put a "fraud alert" out to all 3 credit companies.

I put in a call to Curo and left a message, and will follow up this morning to find out what the heck is going on.

Is there anything else I need to do?  

Last edited by a moderator:
So this all happened yesterday.  Please let me know I what you think, and if I need to do anything else. AND NO I'M NOT SENDING YOU MY INFORMATION FOR YOU TO HELP ME.  ALREADY SEEN THAT SCHTICK PLAYED OUT ON HERE MULTIPLE TIMES.

Yesterday afternoon I was on the phone w/ Chase bank trying to clear up an outstanding issue regarding a "lost" payment on an CC that had cleared my bank, but not been credited to my account.  Spoke to a really nice lady who was really helpful and escalated my issue.  During the conversation she asked for a cell number where her supervisor could contact me.  No big deal right????????????

Last night I'm at the local HS basketball game when the following happened:

735 - 2 texts back to back really quickly from the same 5 digit code......immediately deleted since I didn't recognize so I'm paraphrasing (1) thank you for purchasing our app, please confirm w/ this code or "stop" (2) please go to this website to confim.

803 - I get a call from a number I don't recognize and I never answer them.  They leave no message

835 - 2 more texts, different verbiage, but same context from a different 5 digit number

848 - Get another call from the same number.  Still no message.

1030 - Within 5 minutes Chase, Discover, and Credit Karma all inform me of a "hard" credit inquiry on my experian (nothing on transunion or equifax) report.

I immediately look up the company that hit my report.........a Curo Mgmt company out of Wichita KS (Speedy Cash and Rapid Cash), and then I look up the phone number of the company that called me............Blue Trust Loans, which I find is not affiliated w/ Curo.

So last night I put a "fraud alert" out to all 3 credit companies.

I put in a call to Curo and left a message, and will follow up this morning to find out what the heck is going on.

Is there anything else I need to do?  
Lock your reports. 

Yesterday afternoon I was on the phone w/ Chase bank trying to clear up an outstanding issue regarding a "lost" payment on an CC that had cleared my bank, but not been credited to my account.                            
You called Chase, or Chase called you? If you called them, was it the number on your statement or a contact number you got in a different way?

I called Chase.  I know better than that. 

UPDATE.........while I was in the process of freezing my credit reports at the 3 agencies, I received multiple texts this morning from 3 different 5 digit numbers asking me to confirm my consolidation / loan applications.

Also called CURO.  They confirmed that an application was sent, and my credit report was checked, but that no processing had been done nor the loan approved.

They sent me a Identity theft from to fill out, get notorized, and return. 

During the conversation she asked for a cell number where her supervisor could contact me.  No big deal right????????????
Purely speculation, but I'm guessing this Chase employee has a side gig selling customer information.  She sold your SS# and cell #.  

I would consider calling back to Chase and getting a supervisor on the phone and explain the situation.  They should be able to figure out the employee and investigate further.  

a) Did Chase ever call you back?

b) Are you 100% sure you called the right CHase number because all that #### is on file

Purely speculation, but I'm guessing this Chase employee has a side gig selling customer information.  She sold your SS# and cell #.  

I would consider calling back to Chase and getting a supervisor on the phone and explain the situation.  They should be able to figure out the employee and investigate further.  
I mean, yes could be, but seems like s stretch to me. FWIW, it is not at all uncommon for any bank to try to capture cell # in any customer contact scenario. Your classic brick/mortar banks are scrambling like heck to build digital relationships with customers because interacting digitally is far less costly and even provides some account performance benefits. 

I mean, yes could be, but seems like s stretch to me. FWIW, it is not at all uncommon for any bank to try to capture cell # in any customer contact scenario. Your classic brick/mortar banks are scrambling like heck to build digital relationships with customers because interacting digitally is far less costly and even provides some account performance benefits. 
Based on timing and request for cell # so supervisor could call back, what else do you think happened?  I agree banks want current cell # info...  but based on the timing of this event, he called Chase and then had a hard credit inquiry...  and text messages...  seems connected.  

Edit:  My other theory is that Chase has their own malware/virus issue, so it's not the employee but rather the bank's system.  

a) Did Chase ever call you back?

b) Are you 100% sure you called the right CHase number because all that #### is on file
First thing I thought of. That's one hell of a coincendence this all started happening after that phone call.

Based on timing and request for cell # so supervisor could call back, what else do you think happened?  I agree banks want current cell # info...  but based on the timing of this event, he called Chase and then had a hard credit inquiry...  and text messages...  seems connected.  

Edit:  My other theory is that Chase has their own malware/virus issue, so it's not the employee but rather the bank's system.  
I'm struggling with the facts, to be honest. Seems far more likely that a scam would use someone else's cell # for a confirmation step vs. using this high risk capture methodology to use the right cell # to make the victim aware of the scam. I call the capture methodology high risk because I'd expect that every inbound call to a national bank call center is recorded, and any agent going off script would be detected pretty quickly.

I'm struggling with the facts, to be honest. Seems far more likely that a scam would use someone else's cell # for a confirmation step vs. using this high risk capture methodology to use the right cell # to make the victim aware of the scam. I call the capture methodology high risk because I'd expect that every inbound call to a national bank call center is recorded, and any agent going off script would be detected pretty quickly.
There are online fraud services that lenders can use that identify whose phone number it is. I suspect the fraudsters are having trouble getting past that.

Yes, I called the correct Chase number.  I got it from my online account area.  I just looked and confirmed that.

I'm thinking that somehow someone got my info and tried multiple online lending agencies.  The calls/texts that I was getting were from those agencies wanting me to confirm the application for the loan.  When I didn't, the process went no further, but I'm guessing Curo (for some reason) didn't follow that process or something went haywire.  

Not planning on opening any credit or purchasing a house in the near future, so the freeze won't bother me, but a bit disturbing. 

Thanks for all the input.

There are online fraud services that lenders can use that identify whose phone number it is. I suspect the fraudsters are having trouble getting past that.
Agreed. I've seen checks against cell registry as a fraud prevention, but remain baffled that doing a fraud scheme which must alert the victim to that fraud, using agents easily identified, makes sense.   

Just to echo what has been said a couple times already, freeze your credit report at all 3 agencies.  Honestly, most people should keep their credit reports frozen at all times.  It is so easy to temporarily lift a freeze when needed, there is just no reason to keep them it open and exposed.  

4 more texts this morning, all of the same sort:

VERFY:  COOPERSDAD, your 1/19 app is confirmed.  To resume: https://verfy.co/r/akjfalfjafja

or Reply stop to cancel

And yes, it is spelled that way.

best thing i read in this thread was someone saying lock your credit reports.  i would freeze my credit and only unlock when you actually apply.  

Question for the experts in this thread.  

My work offers a very good credit protection product, which alerts me anytime wife and/or I have a credit pull.  Is there any reason to also freeze credit?  

I've contemplated freezing because it seems a best practice, but I get an email within minutes of a credit hit so is there a point?  

(Somewhat related, wife and I are house shopping also...  but with the current market, it's going to be a while before we find what we want.)

My work offers a very good credit protection product, which alerts me anytime wife and/or I have a credit pull.  Is there any reason to also freeze credit?  

I've contemplated freezing because it seems a best practice, but I get an email within minutes of a credit hit so is there a point?  

(Somewhat related, wife and I are house shopping also...  but with the current market, it's going to be a while before we find what we want.)
Yes, there is definitely a reason to do it.

Credit will immediately take a hit with any hard pull. It will bounce back up, but it does go down, for a month or so. 

If you catch a shady application, you can make sure it goes nowhere by monitoring your credit. 

BUT, let's say you are applying for something a few months later. If those (false) hard pulls are still on your history, it can affect your chances. You will need to trust that all three bureaus are doing the right thing, and clear your history of those pulls that you didn't authorize. 

That's a risky assumption to make. These credit bureaus are not omnipotent, errors get through all the time, and they don't answer to anyone.  

https://youtu.be/aRrDsbUdY_k

That's John Oliver discussing the very real issue with the credit bureaus. 

Freezing eliminates anyone from getting an actual credit pull, so IMO this is the best route. IMO it doesn't matter if you're alerted on a pull, the credit is already run, and in the case of a store card or something like that, it's too late.

Freezing eliminates anyone from getting an actual credit pull, so IMO this is the best route. IMO it doesn't matter if you're alerted on a pull, the credit is already run, and in the case of a store card or something like that, it's too late.
this…….just make sure you safe place your passwords and how to unlock, cause the process is tricky.

As others have stated already, Freeze your credit with all three agencies. This happened to my wife a few years back. The gist:

- Got a credit card bill from Kohls for about $900 of purchases is California. We live in MN and it definitely was not us. 
- Next day or so got a call from an Orange County sheriff deputy. They picked up a guy and car at a mall who had a dozen fake IDs and credit cards in the vehicle. All the IDs had a particular woman in the pictures. His female accomplice escaped arrest. The cop gave us the name of the woman suspect (that was cool of him)
- We immediately froze both of our credit at the agencies.

- Started getting mail from various retailers that were either bills we did not run up or notifications that an attempt was made to open an account.

- Avis contacted us asking about our apparent rental of a f’n yellow Mustang convertible that was never returned. This one sucked. I called the MN DMV and gave them the number off the fake MN driver license this lady used all over the place. It was not a valid number and was missing a few digits. My wife spent hours with Avis security and eventually they realized they let some dope rent a car with a fake ID, and brand new PNC bank account with $10 in it. Regardless of her innocence, they gave my wife a lifetime ban. 

- Stalked the woman’s Facebook page and found a few pics she posted of her and her inbred kids posing next to, you guessed it, a yellow Mustang convertible. Avis informed us they found it abandoned in Georgia. 

- Unwound a bunch of account charges and closed them all.

- OC cop calls a few weeks later. The woman was arrested, and charged with a s***load of offenses. My wife and others wrote victim impact statements to torch this “lady”. She spend I think 6-8 months in jail. 

i still watch her activities as a prolific Facebook poster just out of curiosity. And I leaned a few things:

1. Avoid PNC bank. 
2. Freeze your credit. Now.

ETA: The thieves had all my wife’s info including her mother’s maiden name. With that, you can open any account you want. Also, the cop told us they go into stores on the hopes you already have an account. So at Kohls, she tells the cashier “I forgot my Kohls card at home”. So the cashier asks for ID and then a verification of SSN, mothers maiden name or whatever. We believe she got that info in the IRS hack years ago.

Users who are viewing this thread