What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gary Burghoff (Radar on M*A*S*H) tweets about Alan Alda (1 Viewer)

Larry Linville was great (and had a great write-off as well). I'm not familiar with this Lindley person.

Oh and the show needed more Rizzo.

-QG

I didn't start watching MASH until the last seasons were on, maybe thats why I liked the replacement cast better.

I'm trying to think of a humorous Frank Burns moment.

Maybe sitting in the back of the bus with a chocolate bar, staring up at the stars:

Frank: [into a walkie-talkie] Any allied personnel, if you receive me, here is my position. Ready?

[peers out the window]

There are only about half a dozen stars visible sky-wise. I am directly under the brightest one. Over.

Hawkeye: Terrific, Frank.

B.J.: They'll start searching for us in Bethlehem.
:lmao:

Best part time character - Col. Flagg

Wow - they have cut MASH video availability way back - this crappy clip is the only thing there for Col Flagg. Bastards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLW_Lldw-gg
"The wind just broke his leg."
Some good Flagg dialog:

Colonel Flagg: [after Frank Burns pats his shoulder] My father touched me that way once. To this day he still has to wear orthopedic shirts.

Col. Sherman T. Potter: Why are you dressed like an Italian usher?

Colonel Flagg: Can you keep a secret?

Col. Sherman T. Potter: I'd like to think so.

Colonel Flagg: I'm disguised as Ling Chow. A Chinese double agent.

Col. Sherman T. Potter: Funny, you don't look Chinese.

Colonel Flagg: Neither would Ling Chow if he was dressed like this. You follow?

Col. Sherman T. Potter: As far as I'd like to.

Colonel Flagg: I'm off.

Col. Sherman T. Potter: I couldn't have said it better myself.

Colonel Flagg: You were insanely jealous of her engagement. You were furious at being rejected. You were capable of murder!

Hawkeye: That's right! So you hit her over the head with a blunt instrument.

B.J.: A saxophone.

Hawkeye: Then you hypnotized her and told her she was Johnny Ray.

B.J.: Then you performed plastic surgery on her, made her look like Johnny.

Hawkeye: The rest is obvious. You stuck her in a trunk, you mailed her to Las Vegas, and now she's doing two shows a night at The Sands.

B.J.: Three on Saturdays.

Colonel Flagg: There's only one flaw in that theory.

Hawkeye: Only one?

Colonel Flagg: They don't do three shows a night on Saturday at The Sands.

Hawkeye: How do you know?

Colonel Flagg: I was a showgirl for six weeks.

• Frank was way too over-the-top and slapsticky. I preferred Charles' droll witticisms.

BJ was very relatable, but he wasn't nearly as funny or clever as Trapper.
I'll take Blake over Potter by a smidge.
Chaotic, fun-loving Hawkeye was much better than "war is hell" Hakeye

Anyone else in the camp who treated MASH like it was Spanish language television and had to snap change the channel when it came up on your screen?

I'm sure it's a fine show, just never made the time investment with it

Best part time character - Col. Flagg

Wow - they have cut MASH video availability way back - this crappy clip is the only thing there for Col Flagg. Bastards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLW_Lldw-gg
"The wind just broke his leg."
Some good Flagg dialog:

Colonel Flagg: [after Frank Burns pats his shoulder] My father touched me that way once. To this day he still has to wear orthopedic shirts.

Col. Sherman T. Potter: Why are you dressed like an Italian usher?

Colonel Flagg: Can you keep a secret?

Col. Sherman T. Potter: I'd like to think so.

Colonel Flagg: I'm disguised as Ling Chow. A Chinese double agent.

Col. Sherman T. Potter: Funny, you don't look Chinese.

Colonel Flagg: Neither would Ling Chow if he was dressed like this. You follow?

Col. Sherman T. Potter: As far as I'd like to.

Colonel Flagg: I'm off.

Col. Sherman T. Potter: I couldn't have said it better myself.

Colonel Flagg: You were insanely jealous of her engagement. You were furious at being rejected. You were capable of murder!

Hawkeye: That's right! So you hit her over the head with a blunt instrument.

B.J.: A saxophone.

Hawkeye: Then you hypnotized her and told her she was Johnny Ray.

B.J.: Then you performed plastic surgery on her, made her look like Johnny.

Hawkeye: The rest is obvious. You stuck her in a trunk, you mailed her to Las Vegas, and now she's doing two shows a night at The Sands.

B.J.: Three on Saturdays.

Colonel Flagg: There's only one flaw in that theory.

Hawkeye: Only one?

Colonel Flagg: They don't do three shows a night on Saturday at The Sands.

Hawkeye: How do you know?

Colonel Flagg: I was a showgirl for six weeks.
good stuff

• Frank was way too over-the-top and slapsticky. I preferred Charles' droll witticisms.
  • BJ was very relatable, but he wasn't nearly as funny or clever as Trapper.
  • I'll take Blake over Potter by a smidge.
  • Chaotic, fun-loving Hawkeye was much better than "war is hell" Hakeye
I agree with all the above except I preferred Frank over Charles. Charles was a pompous jerk and Frank was a naive fool that Trapper and Hawkeye toyed with.I also preferred "I want a discharge because I'm wearing a dress" Klinger to serious Max Klinger.

In the latter years of the show, it became too preachy.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • BJ was very relatable, but he wasn't nearly as funny or clever as Trapper.
  • I'll take Blake over Potter by a smidge.
  • Chaotic, fun-loving Hawkeye was much better than "war is hell" Hakeye
I agree with all the above except I preferred Frank over Charles. Charles was a pompous jerk and Frank was a naive fool that Trapper and Hawkeye toyed with.I also preferred "I want a discharge because I'm wearing a dress" Klinger to serious Max Klinger.

In the latter years of the show, it became too preachy.
Like a lot of shows it should have quit somewhere around season 7 but too much money would have been left on the table.

Larry Lindley (sp?) thought he was a big shot and that the show couldn't work without him, and you know what the show really was funnier with him.
I'm in this camp also, but make no mistake -- we are very much in the minority. Fans of the original cast will fight you to the death over this. And it's not just Charles over Frank for me. I liked B.J. better than Trapper, too. :shrug:
I disagree (just my opinion)Trapper, Frank, and Henry Blake over BJ (close margin), Charles (not even close), and Potter any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

The older seasons were more free wheeling and closer to the spirit of the MASH movie. More recent seasons got too political or something....even the cross dresser Klinger changed character paths after a while.

Two constants thru the seasons: Radar and Father Mulcahey (spelling?).

Last edited by a moderator:
Later seasons pale by comparison. Morgan and Farrell were both terrible at delivering a line. Stiff and awkard, both of them. It's like the difference between the Gong Show and Tic Tac Dough.

Well, the show overall got much more serious later on, and less funny, and I think Margaret's character taking that turn was merely a part of that.

As for Lindley, I've always heard that in real life he was similar to the Hawkeye character: a jokester, a goofball, and an all-around fun guy.
Original Margaret "Hot Lips" over the serious in later seasons too...especially when it looked like her and Hawkeye were going to get together. Just too much.....

Also, refresh my memory: did Doctor S. Jones make appearances in season 1? You know who I am referring to.....

Later seasons pale by comparison. Morgan and Farrell were both terrible at delivering a line. Stiff and awkard, both of them. It's like the difference between the Gong Show and Tic Tac Dough.
I'm gonna need to see some evidence of this. Beej and Hawkeye stood toe-to-toe delivering rapid-fire one-liners.

Frank: [into a walkie-talkie] Any allied personnel, if you receive me, here is my position. Ready?[peers out the window]

There are only about half a dozen stars visible sky-wise. I am directly under the brightest one. Over.

Hawkeye: Terrific, Frank.

B.J.: They'll start searching for us in Bethlehem.
:lmao: :cry:

Apparently I am the only one who can't tell Trapper and BJ apart. The actors look very alike to me and the character were not appreciably different enough for me to care.

Oh and Potter<Blake Burns<Winchester

Just looking over the Wiki, I am surprised at how many memorable characters left such a impression with so few episodes out of 260.

Rizzo was in 14, Sidney Friedman was in 12, Flagg was only in 6 and Donald Penopscott was only in 2.

Apparently I am the only one who can't tell Trapper and BJ apart. The actors look very alike to me
Could be twins.
The actor on the right looks nothing like the actor who played Trapper in Trapper John M.D.
Or the movie. I think I just blocked it out the way I did with the the oldest daughter on Roseanne. I just put whoever it was into the blond haired long faced boring sidekick category..

Users who are viewing this thread