What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gift Ideas for Someone Going into the Marine Corps (1 Viewer)

Dezbelief

Footballguy
A friend's son has enlisted and I've received a verbal invitation to the going away party. It's an extremely casual affair. Cash is my first instinct for young adults, in this case the young man already has plenty of spending money. My next idea is liquor and will be my choice if nothing better is suggested.

January 1985. My big brother joined the USAF and he was getting onto the bus to go to basic training. My mom hugged him, gave him a kiss and then quickly walked around the corner, she was crying her eyes out and she didn't want my brother to see how upset she was. My Dad was in the US Army reserves when he was a young man in his 20's so he had a good idea what my brother was getting himself into. My Dad looked at my brother up and down, gave him a hug, looked him over again and I could see he noticed something and then my Dad took the watch off his wrist and handed it him and said "you're gonna need this." Long way of saying, get him a nice, rugged. durable watch and my 18 year old loves his, it's this one - it's a Casio G Shock GX56BB-1 Watch G-Shock XL.

January 1985. My big brother joined the USAF and he was getting onto the bus to go to basic training. My mom hugged him, gave him a kiss and then quickly walked around the corner, she was crying her eyes out and she didn't want my brother to see how upset she was. My Dad was in the US Army reserves when he was a young man in his 20's so he had a good idea what my brother was getting himself into. My Dad looked at my brother up and down, gave him a hug, looked him over again and I could see he noticed something and then my Dad took the watch off his wrist and handed it him and said "you're gonna need this." Long way of saying, get him a nice, rugged. durable watch and my 18 year old loves his, it's this one - it's a Casio G Shock GX56BB-1 Watch G-Shock XL.
Good idea. Maybe have Mom's, Dad's, Sibling's first initials engraved on back. Do not give too much away on family - typical identifier of a weakness to enemies.

For the watch, get one tactical for durability and function. Watch batteries last longer than cell phone batteries. For daily use, the old adage goes:

“If you’re on time, you’re late.”​

Military members are well aware of the unwritten rule of arriving 15 minutes prior to the time they are supposed to be somewhere. Of course, if there’s a senior officer involved, that might even mean 15 minutes prior to 15 minutes prior.

This was going to be my recommendation.

Edit to add- that’s a bit over your budget- check the reviews or YouTube for cheaper but still reliable versions - stick with Casio.

This was going to be my recommendation.

Edit to add- that’s a bit over your budget- check the reviews or YouTube for cheaper but still reliable versions - stick with Casio.
I got him a Casio in the same line (G Shock) that claims it can handle 200m of water. It was between my budget and the XL price. I went ahead and spent the $8 on the extended warranty. Thanks for the idea gentlemen!

Last edited:
Where’s he doing boot camp? If you can, get him some credit at the PX
Talked to his dad this morning, his uncle was the one who invited me. He's going into the Navy first and training to be a medic, evidently the USMC uses Navy medics. At some point during his initial enlistment he's going to switch over to the USMC. He's headed to Chicago in a week for basic training, if all goes as planned he graduates in February.

Last edited:
The fact his career hasn't started don't worry they will give him everything he needs and take everything he thinks he needs. Ha ha. Prolly at best 1.5 years from seeing a deployment. Cash always works.

Talked to his dad this morning, his uncle was the one who invited me. He's going into the Navy first and training to be a medic, evidently the USMC uses Navy medics. At some point during his initial enlistment he's going to switch over to the USMC. He's headed to Chicago in a week for basic training, if all goes as planned he graduates in February.
Interesting. Never heard of that. So when he signs up for a 4 year commitment it's split between two branches of service? Interesting. Wonder how that translates over for rank and stuff like dress uniforms. Feels odd to me

Interesting. Never heard of that. So when he signs up for a 4 year commitment it's split between two branches of service? Interesting. Wonder how that translates over for rank and stuff like dress uniforms. Feels odd to me
I believe, and I could be wrong it’s been 30 years, that corpsman are officially in the Navy but if they are with a Marine Corps unit they get additional training, get a special pin and can call themselves Marines. They can wear all of the Marine uniforms except the dress blues I believe.

The gentleman in question is my best friend's nephew. I haven't heard anything lately. I will ask my friend this evening.

The medic's dad did tell me his son bought a more expensive watch but liked the GShock better and still uses it.

Last edited:
I believe, and I could be wrong it’s been 30 years, that corpsman are officially in the Navy but if they are with a Marine Corps unit they get additional training, get a special pin and can call themselves Marines. They can wear all of the Marine uniforms except the dress blues I believe.
I know this is old but medics are called corpsman..... and since the USMC is technically part of the Navy this is why. They use NAVY corpsman for all "medics". And you train as a navy corpsman.
You tehn can be attached to a Marine Corps Unit. And the rest of what you say is I also believe to be correct

The uncle wasn't much help. He knew his nephew had volunteered for hazardous duty and got deployed, but doesn't know where.

One of my nephews is in Army basic training (Reserves/Paratrooper). It worked out that he was home for a couple weeks around Christmas between the initial boot camp and whenever the next stage started.

About the only thing he was allowed to have were non-fiction military/history books.

The gentleman in question is my best friend's nephew. He completed his basic and medic training in Chicago with the Navy. My understanding is every Marine medic comes from the Navy. He was accepted into Seal training. He was doing really well and failed to get a doctor's stamp approving him for deep dives before the training started. It was a test he failed. The Corp told the cadets they had two weeks to get over to medical to get the stamp but they really only had one week. He got booted from the training. He is eligible to reapply and restart his Seal training. I haven't heard anything lately. I will ask my friend this evening.

The medic's dad did tell me his son bought a more expensive watch but liked the GForce better and still uses it.
GForce?? you mean g-shock?

The gentleman in question is my best friend's nephew. He completed his basic and medic training in Chicago with the Navy. My understanding is every Marine medic comes from the Navy. He was accepted into Seal training. He was doing really well and failed to get a doctor's stamp approving him for deep dives before the training started. It was a test he failed. The Corp told the cadets they had two weeks to get over to medical to get the stamp but they really only had one week. He got booted from the training. He is eligible to reapply and restart his Seal training. I haven't heard anything lately. I will ask my friend this evening.

The medic's dad did tell me his son bought a more expensive watch but liked the GForce better and still uses it.
GForce?? you mean g-shock?
G-Unit

Users who are viewing this thread