What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gr00vus's Favorite 50 Songs - 1: Synchronicity II (1 Viewer)

"It's only me who wants to wrap around your dreams, and have you any dreams you'd like to sell?"

3: Dreams, Fleetwood Mac, 1977

There are perfect pop songs, this is among them. It wouldn't be as good one note less or one note more. What's remarkable about it is the simplicity and conciseness of the individual parts, in all their layers, and how they come together to make such a complex whole. It's all great, the stand outs to me are the bass line, the backing vocals, and the guitar solo.

"It's only me who wants to wrap around your dreams, and have you any dreams you'd like to sell?"

3: Dreams, Fleetwood Mac, 1977

There are perfect pop songs, this is among them. It wouldn't be as good one note less or one note more. What's remarkable about it is the simplicity and conciseness of the individual parts, in all their layers, and how they come together to make such a complex whole. It's all great, the stand outs to me are the bass line, the backing vocals, and the guitar solo.
Hippie chicks, maaaan.

I've been a very lucky man. I've been able to insinuate myself into and capitalize upon a number of situations which have given a rare view of humanity and history, a true chance to test my skill set and a #####in' batch of stories.

But the best part has been brushing the hair away from the wide-eyed faces of the first generation of girls who got to act as they want, do what they want.

The best a woman could have in the world i was born into were pretty things & shiny kids. Thinking for oneself was a sin, more or less. Even in a world that hasn't got it right yet, i'm glad most females suffer under that no longer. But their liberation was never more beautiful than when first they could and it was an honest-to-god privilege to watch and encourage that.

And the physicality. From the restraint of bonnets & beehives, the nylon fortresses guarding their goodies, the pinching & pointing of flesh finally freed to just flow, baby. Let the hair cascade down the shoulders, the chemises highlight natural lines, bare-footed be the way to step into the light. There was nothing like it - dreams come to life.

"I-I-I, I-I-I"

One From The Son: Monkey Man, The Specials, 1979

Had a tough time getting my son to settle on just one favorite among the songs I've subjected him to. But this is the one he and I will sing most often and most loudly when it comes on while we're driving, so I'm making a parental decision for him here. This is a cover of the Toots and the Maytals tune, and it's the version I like best too. It just bounces along, super fun. Got to get a little actual ska into this thing anyway. Probably means my son's got better musical taste than I do too.

I'll resume with the #2 selection tomorrow. For now, you can all hop around with my son and me to this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
"I-I-I, I-I-I"

Had a tough time getting my son to settle on just one favorite among the songs I've subjected him to. But this is the one he and I will sing most often and most loudly when it comes on while we're driving, so I'm making a parental decision for him here. This is a cover of the Toots and the Maytals tune, and it's the version I like best too. It just bounces along, super fun. Got to get a little actual ska into this thing anyway. Probably means my son's got better musical taste than I do too.

I'll resume with the #2 selection tomorrow. For now, you can all hop around with my son and me to this one.
I was hoping it would be this version by this band when I saw the thread title. It's a treat.  

"I-I-I, I-I-I"

this ol' fav makes me hoppier than an IPA, so ska say!

Gr00vus said:
"I-I-I, I-I-I"

Floppinho is doing the stones with his school of rock outfit. Just got handed monkey man to sing (another great tune) and I still immediately started into the I, I, Is.

"Done up in blueprint blue, it sure looks good on you."

2: Peg, Steely Dan, 1977

You can find out much of what you might want to know about this song from the ten minute or so portion of the Aja documentary they did. Like song #3, it's a perfect pop song. Unlike song #3, it's complexity is built on complex individual parts, each painstakingly done and redone by multiple musicians, with Fagen and Becker choosing which takes would eventually be combined to form the final song. There are multiple signatures on this one. Chuck Rainey's bass line (sneaking in some pops and slaps), the perfect guitar solo by Jay Graydon, the 70,000 backing vocal tracks Michael McDonald laid down to harmonize with himself, and most of all (for me) another incredibly tight drum track courtesy of Rick Marotta (no, not Burnard Purdie, Steve Gadd,  or Jeff Porcaro - Rick Marotta). It's a great display of limb independence. I practice this one to help develop that. The whole song is just a series of fantastic musical choices by everyone involved.

Fagen has never (to my knowledge) gone on record on who/what this song is really about. There's tons of guesses, but I don't think he's ever confirmed any of them. Whatever it's about, we all try to sing along with this one whenever it comes on don't we? Anyone have any luck hitting the highest of the high notes Michael McDonald sings?

You can find out much of what you might want to know about this song from the ten minute or so portion of the Aja documentary they did. Like song #3, it's a perfect pop song. Unlike song #3, it's complexity is built on complex individual parts, each painstakingly done and redone by multiple musicians, with Fagen and Becker choosing which takes would eventually be combined to form the final song. There are multiple signatures on this one. Chuck Rainey's bass line (sneaking in some pops and slaps), the perfect guitar solo by Jay Graydon, the 70,000 backing vocal tracks Michael McDonald laid down to harmonize with himself, and most of all (for me) another incredibly tight drum track courtesy of Rick Marotta (no, not Burnard Purdie, Steve Gadd,  or Jeff Porcaro - Rick Marotta). It's a great display of limb independence. I practice this one to help develop that. The whole song is just a series of fantastic musical choices by everyone involved.

Fagen has never (to my knowledge) gone on record on who/what this song is really about. There's tons of guesses, but I don't think he's ever confirmed any of them. Whatever it's about, we all try to sing along with this one whenever it comes on don't we? Anyone have any luck hitting the highest of the high notes Michael McDonald sings?
:pics: :D :pics:

You said it. It's like Chinatown in movies, Glenn Gould's Goldberg Variations - perfectly sustained mix of mood & precision. Everything as old & new, comfortable & fresh, obvious & obscure as the common magic of life itself. If it was better, it would be worse.

thanks for doing this.  some just want to post to post-you are genuinely trying to pass along some good stuff.  appreciate it.  music has a healing sense to it.  The Ziggy Stardust by David Bowie was a complete eye opener for me in the 70's.  Really different & really cool, especially since I was really going through some changes.

by no means a hijack but I just can't get this out of my head. enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MMuB2_1324

Peg

https://clyp.it/yxg5xpu2

Hello Central Please Give Me 209....Lightnin' Hopkins

Hellhounds on My Trail....Robert Johnson

Get Out of My Life Woman....Lee Dorsey

Ole 55.....Tom Waits

Lonesome Whistle....Hank Williams

Crazy......Patsy Cline

Brain Cloudy...Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys

Poncho & Lefty....Townes Van Zandt

Purgatory Road.....Ray Wylie Hubbard

Nebraska....Brice Springsteen

Paper Sack....Mark Lemhouse

Volcano....Damien Rice

Suzanne....Leonard Cohen

Sympathy For the Devil....Rolling Stones

Midnight Special....Lead Belly

Strange Fruit....Billie Holliday

Minnie the Moocher....Cab Calloway

Ghost of St. Louis...Emmitt Miller

Stormy Weather....Lena Horne

Long Ago and Far Away....Jo Stafford

When the Lights Come on Again....Vaughn Monroe

Gut Bucket Blues....Louis Armstrong

Soul of a Man...Blind Willie Johnson

Trouble....Ray Lamontagne

Pensacola....Joan Osborn

Mowing Down the Roses....Jamey Johnson

Love Letter...Kathy Lester

Sea of Love...Phil Phillips

Outskirts of Town...Louis Jordan

Ghost Riders in the Sky...Sons of the Pioneers

Blue Moon....Elvis

Black Snake Moan....Blind Lemon Jeffereson

Viola Lee....Cannon Jug Stomers

Truckin'....The Grateful Dead

Gypsy....The Ink Spots

El Paso....Marty Robbins

These Arms of Mine...Otis Redding

Thrill is Gone...BB King

Crawling Kingsnake....John Lee Hooker

Cairo....Henry Spaulding

Last King Words....Geexhie Wiley

Rattlesnake  Blues....Charley Patton

Waitin' on a Train...Jimmie Rodgers

Freight Train Blues....Roy Acuff

Hurdy Gurdy Man....Donovan

Pretty Polly.....Dock Boggs

Angel Baby.....Rosie and The Originals

I'll Get By.....The Mills Brothers

King Bee....Slim Harpo

Alabama....J.B.Lenoir

Hoochie Coochie Man...Muddy Waters

Evil....Howlin' Wolf

Caress Me Baby....Jimmy Reed

Who Do You Love....Bo Diddley

30 Days...Chuck Berry

Sound of Silence...Simon & Garfunkel

Crazy......Patsy Cline

Sympathy For the Devil....Rolling Stones

Strange Fruit....Billie Holliday

Minnie the Moocher....Cab Calloway

Stormy Weather....Lena Horne

Blue Moon....Elvis

Thrill is Gone...BB King

Hurdy Gurdy Man....Donovan

Who Do You Love....Bo Diddley

Sound of Silence...Simon & Garfunkel
I haven't heard a lot of those (thanks for giving me new stuff to listen to), of the ones I have, I like the ones above especially.

"Secretaries pout and preen like cheap tarts in a red light street, but all he ever thinks to do is watch."

1: Synchronicity II, The Police, 1983

I knew this was my favorite song the first time I heard it. The Police already were (and still are, and will probably always be) my favorite music act, this tune sealed it.

I know someone upthread wrote they don't pay attention to Sting's lyrics. I think when he's not being completely pretentious and dropping names, he writes some of the best lyrics around. And this one is line after line of killer phrases, any one of which a lyricist would count themselves lucky to have written in a song. You're left to wonder what's more frightening - the lochness monster finally emerging from its lake and maybe wrecking havoc on whatever is around up there, or the guy coming home to his family and finally letting loose. To me it's the latter. To this day I wonder how Sting could nail the frustration of ineffectual meaningless middle class drones - he never lived that life. Maybe it's based on his father, though I don't think he spent much time in an office setting either. But nail it he did. I could see this in my own father from time to time. I told myself back then I was never going to go out that way. And now, here I am, grinding away. I like to think I don't get this dark, but sometimes I definitely feel like a lemming packed into a shiny metal box.

Sting's bass is direct, driving, relentless, yet still varied, providing the dark brooding tension of the song. Andy Summers, what can you say about this track? He gets sounds out of the guitar I didn't know you could make. He and Robert Fripp had collaborated prior to this, and it seems to me that Summers is letting that experience inform a lot of his sound here for some of the guitar parts. I'm not usually a fan of doubling the bass and guitar lines (often just lazy and uncreative), but here Sting and Andy come together between verse lyrics in a powerful way, then split off again to call and answer each other - some genius songwriting there. Eventually the song leads to its climax and then mayhem is unleashed "many miles away" - the guitar implying some of the violence that ensues, as Summers does some crazy stuff to close out the song.

Stewart Copeland. My favorite drummer of all time. Honorable mentions to Billy Cobham, Jabo Starks, Clyde Stubblefield, Dave Garibalidi, John Bonham, Alan Dawson, Rick Marotta, Bernard Purdie, Terry Bozzio, Matt Cameron, Louie Bellson and Derrick McKenzie. Probably some others I'm forgetting right now. Omar Hakim and Tony Thompson tie for 2nd. Stewart is the man. He's the reason I started playing. Nobody sounds like him, though many have tried. He has all the chops, but he has the musicality too. He knows space, he knows less is right much more often than you think. He pretty much always makes the right decision every chance he gets in his playing, and still manages to make it creative and distinctive. And by the time this album came around, he and his engineers had created an all timer rock drum sound.

On this one, what he chooses to play makes the sound seem slower than it actually is. And the "trick" by which he accomplishes that is so simple - leave out the bass drum every other measure. He creates space that actually makes the song feel like its barely hanging on to the explosive snare beats on the 2 and 4. Then when he puts the bass back in on every measure the song gets kicked into another gear. Another great feature are the choked cymbal accents he throws in there, again playing with the feel of the space of the song. He uses a gong bass overdub to add occasional low end bombs for accent down there too. Then, when the closing mayhem is unleashed he lays into his china crash to give you the feel of monsters rending everything in their path combined with his distinctive ride/bell patterns and accents. It's an all time drum track, and as much as I hate to do the appeal to authority thing, it's widely recognized in the community as an all time drum track, so you don't have to just take my word for it.

Thanks to Stewart Copeland for all these years of joy and inspiration.

Roughly six years and five albums. They never officially closed the door, but you got the idea when Sting released Dream Of The Blue Turtles. It was sad at the time to know it was over. Looking back though, it probably was the best way for it to go. Every album is great, their sound changing with each release, everyone else trying to catch up to them in the meantime. They split up because they wouldn't compromise on their musical ideas, which is what made the band so great in the first place. They went out on top. I can't really think of a better way to end it.

"Secretaries pout and preen like cheap tarts in a red light street, but all he ever thinks to do is watch."

1: Synchronicity II, The Police, 1983

I knew this was my favorite song the first time I heard it. The Police already were (and still are, and will probably always be) my favorite music act, this tune sealed it.

I know someone upthread wrote they don't pay attention to Sting's lyrics. I think when he's not being completely pretentious and dropping names, he writes some of the best lyrics around. And this one is line after line of killer phrases, any one of which a lyricist would count themselves lucky to have written in a song. You're left to wonder what's more frightening - the lochness monster finally emerging from its lake and maybe wrecking havoc on whatever is around up there, or the guy coming home to his family and finally letting loose. To me it's the latter. To this day I wonder how Sting could nail the frustration of ineffectual meaningless middle class drones - he never lived that life. Maybe it's based on his father, though I don't think he spent much time in an office setting either. But nail it he did. I could see this in my own father from time to time. I told myself back then I was never going to go out that way. And now, here I am, grinding away. I like to think I don't get this dark, but sometimes I definitely feel like a lemming packed into a shiny metal box.

Sting's bass is direct, driving, relentless, yet still varied, providing the dark brooding tension of the song. Andy Summers, what can you say about this track? He gets sounds out of the guitar I didn't know you could make. He and Robert Fripp had collaborated prior to this, and it seems to me that Summers is letting that experience inform a lot of his sound here for some of the guitar parts. I'm not usually a fan of doubling the bass and guitar lines (often just lazy and uncreative), but here Sting and Andy come together between verse lyrics in a powerful way, then split off again to call and answer each other - some genius songwriting there. Eventually the song leads to its climax and then mayhem is unleashed "many miles away" - the guitar implying some of the violence that ensues, as Summers does some crazy stuff to close out the song.

Stewart Copeland. My favorite drummer of all time. Honorable mentions to Billy Cobham, Jabo Starks, Clyde Stubblefield, Dave Garibalidi, John Bonham, Alan Dawson, Rick Marotta, Bernard Purdie, Terry Bozzio, Matt Cameron, Louie Bellson and Derrick McKenzie. Probably some others I'm forgetting right now. Omar Hakim and Tony Thompson tie for 2nd. Stewart is the man. He's the reason I started playing. Nobody sounds like him, though many have tried. He has all the chops, but he has the musicality too. He knows space, he knows less is right much more often than you think. He pretty much always makes the right decision every chance he gets in his playing, and still manages to make it creative and distinctive. And by the time this album came around, he and his engineers had created an all timer rock drum sound.

On this one, what he chooses to play makes the sound seem slower than it actually is. And the "trick" by which he accomplishes that is so simple - leave out the bass drum every other measure. He creates space that actually makes the song feel like its barely hanging on to the explosive snare beats on the 2 and 4. Then when he puts the bass back in on every measure the song gets kicked into another gear. Another great feature are the choked cymbal accents he throws in there, again playing with the feel of the space of the song. He uses a gong bass overdub to add occasional low end bombs for accent down there too. Then, when the closing mayhem is unleashed he lays into his china crash to give you the feel of monsters rending everything in their path combined with his distinctive ride/bell patterns and accents. It's an all time drum track, and as much as I hate to do the appeal to authority thing, it's widely recognized in the community as an all time drum track, so you don't have to just take my word for it.

Thanks to Stewart Copeland for all these years of joy and inspiration.

Roughly six years and five albums. They never officially closed the door, but you got the idea when Sting released Dream Of The Blue Turtles. It was sad at the time to know it was over. Looking back though, it probably was the best way for it to go. Every album is great, their sound changing with each release, everyone else trying to catch up to them in the meantime. They split up because they wouldn't compromise on their musical ideas, which is what made the band so great in the first place. They went out on top. I can't really think of a better way to end it.
Their breakup was a humilating kick in the crotch.

Had a feeling when you didn't respond to my mention of SII in my comments on Omegaman that i might be spotlighting. Absolutely the largest song of the 80s.

Great list, my friend. Exciting & edifying. Thank you. Did you have a fun 50th?

Was wondering which Police tune it would be. Solid song.

Happy New year, groovus. This has been an excellent read- thanks for doing it...Wishing you the best in the new year and for your b-day.

Synchronicity 2 is also one of my top 5 favorite songs.

Angst before angst was cool. The imagery of the monster crawling to the surface as metaphor for the boiling over of generational middle class frustration remains terrifying thirty-plus years on.

Terrific choice!

Always enjoyed the macabre video too. Link

Sting channeling his Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen character and Copeland hammering away...awesome!

Love this thread.  Love your descriptions and personal connections to each of the songs.  Love the wikkid stories (of course) and the others who've weighed in as well.  Happy birthday (belatedly)!

Had a walkman that I would use while skiing and Synchronicity II was a staple - great music for skiing as you could really get lost in it with the surroundings of the mountains. But my favorite for skiing was Ghosts - that record was sick for skiing. I lent the walkman to my friend one day to try it out and he did an epic yard sale while going waaaaay to effin fast. Equipment littered a good 50 yards. I asked him what happened and he said he was to into the music and forgot to pay attention on the slope.

Love this thread.  Love your descriptions and personal connections to each of the songs.  Love the wikkid stories (of course) and the others who've weighed in as well.  Happy birthday (belatedly)!
And now the decks are clear and audience ready-made for you to follow the Gr00vemeisters Best with your Beatles 100. In addition, since i didnt get interesting til the year the Fabs broke up, there will be no anecdotes to interfere.

What I got out of this is how different our tastes are in music growing up a decade apart. Your were obviously influenced by that disco era, while I grew up on the late 60s/early 70s classic rock of my parents and then got into the hard rock and grunge of the early 90s. I'd say I would have five of your top 50 in my top 200 -- Synchronicity II, Dreams, She Sells Sanctuary, Highway to Hell and Young Americans. But it was still interesting to go through your musical journey, and I checked out a bunch of the songs that I didn't know.

A few suggestions to widen anyones musical horizons.

The King David Jug Band

The South Street Trio

Jack Kelly's South Memphis Jug Band

Bayless Rose

B.F.Shelton

Patsy Montana

Bessie Tucker

Little Hat Jones

Ramblin' Thomas

Texas Alexander

The Black Ace

Jaybird Coleman

Ishman Bracey

Moses Mason

Charlie Poole

Frank Hutchison

Dock Boggs

Tommy McClennan

Darby & Tarlton.......................this is a must listen, a must.

Black Boy Shines

The Skillet Lickers

Blind Willie Walker

Bogus Ben Convington..........faked being blind to get change, ha~~~

Luke Jordan

Julius Daneils

Pink Anderson.....the PINK in Pink Floyd

Floyd Council....the FLOYD in Pink Floyd

Hambone Willie Newbern

Pearl Dickson

Bull City Red

Cedar Creek Sheik

Prince Albert Hunt

Kid Prince Moore

Peetie Wheatstraw

Curley Weaver

A tiny fraction of what is out there and all that is pre 1940.

Their breakup was a humilating kick in the crotch.

Had a feeling when you didn't respond to my mention of SII in my comments on Omegaman that i might be spotlighting. Absolutely the largest song of the 80s.

Great list, my friend. Exciting & edifying. Thank you. Did you have a fun 50th?
My 50th was very good. I'm glad you brought up Synchronicity II when you did, as at least I knew I'd have one poster in my corner when I brought it out.

I do think that you have an incurable funk addiction.  :)
I think you're right. It honestly didn't register when I formulated the list, but as I was going through it posting each song, it became very apparent.

A thing I think I've learned through this listing experience is that the feel of the song may be the most important thing about it for me. Others focus more on structure, message, meaning, etc. For me if you're laying down that seriously resonates with me sonically, I'll latch on to it, regardless of whether there's more there. And conversely, if the feel isn't there, I'm not going to stay with it for long. And as I get older, I'm becoming more o.k. with that - I think a younger me would have been more self conscious about liking some of this stuff. Like for a song early on in the list @Eephus said it was more of a jam than a song, there wasn't any variation in the song structure. I'm o.k. with that. In fact, there are lots of times I'll be listening to a song, and they've got a good thing going, and then they throw a bridge, a C or a D part in and it really detracts from the song for me. Because they interrupted the feel.

Synchronicity 2 is also one of my top 5 favorite songs.

Angst before angst was cool. The imagery of the monster crawling to the surface as metaphor for the boiling over of generational middle class frustration remains terrifying thirty-plus years on.

Terrific choice!

Always enjoyed the macabre video too. Link

Sting channeling his Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen character and Copeland hammering away...awesome!
That's definitely my favorite video of theirs. I read that at some point during the filming,the bottom of Stewart's edifice caught fire. The director kept shooting through that. Sting definitely hams it up there - I always liked the move he does framing the screen, making you feel like you're the one inside the box.

Had a walkman that I would use while skiing and Synchronicity II was a staple - great music for skiing as you could really get lost in it with the surroundings of the mountains. But my favorite for skiing was Ghosts - that record was sick for skiing. I lent the walkman to my friend one day to try it out and he did an epic yard sale while going waaaaay to effin fast. Equipment littered a good 50 yards. I asked him what happened and he said he was to into the music and forgot to pay attention on the slope.
Related experience back in high school. A bunch of us went up skiing, stayed at someone's cabin up there. Anyway, one of my friends hit a tree. Ended up in the local hospital and had to have his spleen removed. I loaned him my walkman for the time he was laid up in the hospital.

I think at that time, the soundtrack for To Live And Die In L.A. was the thing I'd listen to when bombing runs. In particular Wait (which was also previously released on Points On The Curve), Wake Up Stop Dreaming, City Of Angels, Black Blue White, and Every Big City - all great tracks to ski (and drive fast) to. The sound is totally dated now, but it hit the spot back then.

I doubt there was a moment in your life you haven’t been interesting.

Planning to start my 204-song countdown Monday.   :scared:
Make it happen! I'm in. (Rooting for Ballad Of John and Yoko, Taxman, Maxwell's Silver Hammer, Something, Come Together, Norwegian Wood, Got To Get You Into My Life).

Gr00vus said:
Make it happen! I'm in. (Rooting for Ballad Of John and Yoko, Taxman, Maxwell's Silver Hammer, Something, Come Together, Norwegian Wood, Got To Get You Into My Life).
:thumbup:  You've listed one of my top 10 and a few more that will rank highly.  And then some that will be on the low side, but that's just because the Beatles made a ridiculous amount of great music, not because I don't like anything on your list (I think they're all great).  As an example that I think won't be much of a spoiler, Maxwell's Silver Hammer is quite low for me but I really enjoy that song and love to listen to it each time it comes on; it just doesn't get there for me as much as others do.  Your list in super-interesting and varied!  My thread will be (I hope) a discussion of Beatles songs and not so much about what I like the best.

That's definitely my favorite video of theirs. I read that at some point during the filming,the bottom of Stewart's edifice caught fire. The director kept shooting through that. Sting definitely hams it up there - I always liked the move he does framing the screen, making you feel like you're the one inside the box.
Watching this, I keep waiting for Sting to do this.

Even though I only commented once at something that touched a (good) nerve with me, I really enjoyed reading through this.  Thanks to you and @wikkidpissah and everyone else who contributed to this, really enjoyable trip through a bunch of songs and what they meant to y'all.

:thumbup:  You've listed one of my top 10 and a few more that will rank highly.  And then some that will be on the low side, but that's just because the Beatles made a ridiculous amount of great music, not because I don't like anything on your list (I think they're all great).  As an example that I think won't be much of a spoiler, Maxwell's Silver Hammer is quite low for me but I really enjoy that song and love to listen to it each time it comes on; it just doesn't get there for me as much as others do.  Your list in super-interesting and varied!  My thread will be (I hope) a discussion of Beatles songs and not so much about what I like the best.
Is there going to be room on the board for my 50 favorite Hall and Oates songs thread?

In before "Say it Isn't So" and "I Can't Go For That" witty replies....

Maxwell's Silver Hammer is definitely an acquired taste. I don't expect it to show up much in other peoples top X Beatles lists. I just really enjoy the quirkiness of it for some reason. I think it's a great example of the incredible creative breadth those guys had - it's a song in a completely different headspace than something like Revolution, but it's all authentically them somehow.

Is there going to be room on the board for my 50 favorite Hall and Oates songs thread?

In before "Say it Isn't So" and "I Can't Go For That" witty replies....
Hall & Oates were  a really good act. Many guilty pleasure sort of songs among their catalog (e.g. Family Man, Man-eater), and some just plain good ones (like She's Gone, Sara Smile). They were excellent pop song crafters, they got great musicians to back them, and their vocals were top notch.

@Gr00vus just wanted to say thank you for this thread. I had a blast following along. 

For dessert, I'll post my top 6 Blaxploitation tracks of the '70s. I have rules for inclusion, but don't ask me to justify them.

6. "Trouble Man" - Marvin Gaye. Gaye is one of the two or three best singers in rock/pop history and he was on a major roll here. This one gets lost for two reasons: 1) no one remembers the movie and 2) it wasn't "Let's Get It On" or "What's Going On".

5. "Freddie's Dead" - Curtis Mayfield. To be honest, this should probably be #1. But all of these should. Curtis is rapping a half decade before it became a thing.

4. "Superfly" - Curtis Mayfield. Just a brilliant record made by a brilliant musician.

3. "The Payback" - James Brown. Music as a switchblade knife. James might not have known Karate, but he knew Cah-razy.

2. "Theme From Shaft" - Isaac Hayes. If you weren't listening to the radio when this came out, I don't think I can tell you how thrilling this record was when it dropped. Hooks are everywhere, so are catchphrases used to this day. That damned scratch guitar has been plugged directly into my spinal cord for 47 years.

1. "Across 110th Street" - Bobby Womack. Womack was an all-time ####### (among his #######ry was being a #### to his kids and he married his "friend" Sam Cooke's widow like 16 seconds after Cooke was murdered; Cooke was no saint, but I believe Womack set him up), but damned if he couldn't write great music (The Stones owe him a ton of props). It's one of the finest vocal melodies of the '70s. Also, this is a very good B movie - Anthony Quinn & Yaphet Koto star - if you're into such things.

Users who are viewing this thread