What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greg's Useless Trivia #53 (1 Viewer)

GregR

Footballguy
A collection of mostly useless but sometimes interesting things I've come across.

Links to previous Useless Trivia:

#1   #2   #3   #4   #5
#6   #7   #8   #9   #10  
#11  #12   #13   #14   #15
#16   #17   #18   #19   #20
#21   #22   #23   #24   #25
#26   #27   #28   #29   #30 
#31  #32   #33   #34   #35
#36   #37   #38   #39   #40
#41   #42   #43   #44   #45
#46   #47   #48   #49  #50 (100 questions)
#51   #52

1) What do the following list of people have in common?

Gordie Howe
Morten Andersen
Pete Rose
Robert Parish

These are the players with the most games played in each of the four major sports. Howe 1767 NHL games, Andersen 382 NFL games, Rose 3562 MLB games, and Parish 1611 NBA games.

2) In 2016, 96-year old Dr Henry Heimlich used the maneuver bearing his name to save a woman in a retirement home who was choking on a piece of hamburger. What was especially auspicious about this event?

According to Heimlich and his son, it was the first time Heimlich had himself actually used the Heimlich Maneuver to save someone from choking.

3) This famous American was known for a self-deprecating sense of humor. When accused of being two-faced, he replied, "Honestly, if I were two-faced, would I be showing you this one?"

a) Abraham Lincoln
b) Charlie Chaplin
b) Donald Trump
c) Douglas McArthur
d) Henry Ford

a) Abraham Lincoln. The exchange happened during the famous Lincoln-Douglas debates. Interestingly, in the nineteenth century, too much humor was considered a liability for a politician. A journalist covering the Lincoln-Douglas debates commented that "I could not take a real personal liking to the man, owing to an inborn weakness for which he was even then notorious and so remained during his great public career, he was inordinately fond of jokes, anecdotes, and stories."

4) This cartoonist has three insects named after him: a biting louse, a beetle and a butterfly.

Farside creator Gary Larson. The entomologist who discovered the louse asked Larson's blessing to name it Strigiphilus garylarsoni, explaining it was his way of recognizing the "enormous contribution that my colleagues and I feel you have made to biology through your cartoons".

5) This professional sports trophy once spent the night at the bottom of a canal.

The Stanley Cup. The Cup was won by the 1905 Ottawa Senators, who during their drunken celebration tested their accuracy by kicking the then-small Cup into Ottawa's Rideau Canal. Once successful they went on their drunken way and forgot all about it. Until their teammates realized the next day that the trophy was missing. Lord Stanley's Cup was retrieved from the water.

6) When director Joss Whedon originally wrote this television role, he had in mind actor Nicholas Brendon who portrayed Xander on another Whedon show, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Because of shooting scheduling conflicts, it went to another actor instead.

The role of Malcolm Reynolds on the show Firefly. Nathan Fillion was cast in the role to replace Brendon. Though the show only had 11 of 14 episodes aired before Fox canceled it, it went on to have the feature film Serenity made from it, and TV Guide ranked the Mal character #18 in their 25 Greatest Sci-Fi Legends list. Most of the Firefly cast, including Fillion, played villains at some point on other Joss Whedon projects.

7) What is the military rank of Horatio Magellan Crunch?

He is a captain. Cap'n Crunch of cereal fame.

8) This actor once spent $150,000 on a pet octopus, telling the press he needed it to "help him with his acting".

Nicholas Cage.

9) Chronologically, which of these events was the last to happen?

a) Brazil abolition of slavery
b) First Cray supercomputer goes live
c) France executes last person via guillotine
d) Last WWII Japanese soldier surrenders
e) Release of the movie Star Wars

c) the final French execution via guillotine happened in September, 1977, a few months after Star Wars was released and a year after the first Cray supercomputer went live. Brazil ended slavery in 1888. The last Japanese soldier surrendered in 1974.

10) If you wanted to own the penis of this 1700-1800s historical figure, you could have had it in an auction in 1977 for about $3,000 dollars.

Napoleon Bonaparte. It, along with several other organs, were reportedly removed by the doctor who performed the autopsy upon Napoleon's death.  Over the years the press has compared the not-preserved organ to a piece of leather, a shriveled eel and to beef jerky. The penis is owned by John Lattimer, a leading American urologist. Forensic analysis confirmed it is a penis, though could not be certain it was a part of Bonaparte.

#2 is under dispute, apparently he made that claim in the media from time to time, going back to the year 2000 at least. 

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2825971.stm
The article that led me to the question had an update saying there were reports of a previous incident, but said when they followed up that neither Heimlich nor his son could recall the previous incident having taken place.  Anyway, I put them in the answer as being the source for that reason.  But good pointing it out.

When in doubt about any odd purchase by an actor, just guess "Nicholas Cage".

He has a pyramid shaped tomb in New Orleans that he bought to ward off bad luck.

I got 4/10.  Pissed at a couple I missed.  Need to take my time with these instead of just rush through them.  Problem is figuring out which ones I should know and which ones I have no idea on.

Users who are viewing this thread