What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hanging With My Chef Friend Rob (1 Viewer)

rockaction

Footballguy
I think his name was Rob. We hit it off famously one night at a bar in Simsbury, CT. Watching the national championship game with Auburn during a dramatic moment and this random guy gets up and puts on Steely Dan. Or the magnet and steel song. I forget which. Totally untroubled by his choice, the guy returned to his seat. Rob and I just looked at each other and laughed our asses off. 

Hey, man, Cam Newton's about to go in for the score. What befits this moment? Steely Dan, dude, Steely Dan. 

What are the lyrics to that cocaine song? Ah, I've got Spotty. I'll find. 

He put on "FM" 

The girls don't seem to care tonight
As long as the mood is right 
No static at all/FM 

Then he put on "Hey Nineteen." We laughed harder still. 

Anyway, I'm sober but here's one for you, Rob, my chef friend, wherever you may be. 

Here's a place to post one about your newfound best bud-in-arms. 

Last edited by a moderator:
What is appealing about Steely Dan if there's no cocaine around, guys? 

ooooofff ... have zero use for these noodling shims  -  they are to be counted as one of the acts that certainly incurred the disdain the burgeoning punk scene had for their brand of "genius" musicianship. 

definitely poster boys for what ####o Stern would dub "faces for radio" ... Fagen was ugly as seventy sins - he would've made a great punk frontman - even his name (though the Oliver Twist surname was spelled differently, no big issue there) conjures the fancy of Dickensian street urchins, which was really Mclaren's great joy & mission (along with his Situationist politics & the Bay City Rollers & his merch) ... hell, if Fagen popped up on stage fronting the Stranglers nobody would've been any the wiser, and he would've given Joey Ramone a run for least likely heartthrob.

oh, yeah ... but put "Deacon Blues" on, and i am hooked -for those 5 or so minutes i just don't wanna be bothered with anything else ... LEMME HAVE THIS - it is simply the smoovest #### i ever heard, and really immerses you into that world, ya know? 

You call me a fool
You say it's a crazy scheme
This one's for real
I already bought the dream
So useless to ask me why
Throw a kiss and say goodbye
I'll make it this time
I'm ready to cross that fine line

Learn to work the saxophone
(I) I play just what I feel
Drink Scotch whiskey all night long
And die behind the wheel
They got a name for the winners in the world
(I) I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues
(Deacon Blues)

:wub:

i mean, ferchissakes, it's been ... what? 45 years since i first heard that blaring on WNEW-FM?  far too young to appreciate the lyric gymnastics they were laying down upon those first few listens (but i did know from Bear Bryant & #42 Major Ogilvie) - holy ####, did i grow to absolutely adore those words once the world starting making sense (or nonsense, as it were) to me. 

so, after i dropped off the punkettes and goff grrls and stragglers, i'd find my "top-secret stuff that i won't play with others in the vehicle" mixed tape, and let that one guide me home ... and there were a few nights where i almost didn't make it - and that tune gave a certain romanticized feeling it was simply gonna be the fate, no matter what the #### i did. 

Erg. man do I hate Steely Dan.  Even more than the freakin' Doors.

Many years ago (before I moved to Baltimore, so maybe 2008) I drove down here from Philly to hang out with a bunch of FBG having their annual Fantasy Baseball draft (I didn't participate, just ate and drank).  @plinko rented a house downtown and I swear there must have been 12 of us sleeping in various spots throughout.

On Saturday night, we were at a somewhat dive-y Irish Bar and Tremendous Upside (RIP), Tre, and a few others were bantering with the cute bartender, oblivious that she was just shining them on for bigger tips.  NCAA BB conference tourneys were on the TV.  Upside however had no interest in the basketball, only with trying to impress said bartender with Pearl Jam deep cuts on the jukebox.  He kept feeding quarters, the songs got dirgier and dirgier, and TU slow-danced by himself on the tiny dancefloor, stealing glances at the girl behind the bar.  That certainly killed the party mood on a Saturday night.  At least until Kraft went back to the house and puked in his shorts while sitting on the toilet - too much Pearl Jam.

Last edited by a moderator:
otb_lifer said:
oh, yeah ... but put "Deacon Blues" on, and i am hooked -for those 5 or so minutes i just don't wanna be bothered with anything else
You missed that I started a thread called I AM DEACON BLUES MOTHER####ER because I deleted it after I started it last night. So I can relate to your relating to the song. 

Great stuff. 

That was the exact quote I used. 

And die behind the wheel

I in no way endorse that, by the way. It just struck me as a very jarring lyric. 

That was the exact quote I used. 

And die behind the wheel

I in no way endorse that, by the way. It just struck me as a very jarring lyric. 

i've died behind many a wheel without being in a vehicle. 

it hits differently, that.  

Users who are viewing this thread